Fourtitude.com - Replacement for Panasonic TC-P65S1
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. 02-05-2019 12:40 AM #1
      I have had my Panasonic TC-P65S1 since 2009. I had it calibrated and have really enjoyed it. Unfortunately we are changing our living room set up and we simply don't have the space or need for a 65" television any more.

I know this isn't and never was a top of the line television. However, I had it professionally calibrated and have always really enjoyed the picture. All other TV's I see at friends' places or in stores either look way too bright or have a weird fake effect that really bothers me.

We are looking for a 43" television that would be comparable to our current TC-P65S1. Any suggestions for what I should be looking at? Our content comes from netflix, Roku, HBO go.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      02-12-2019 11:31 AM #2
      The 2019 Samsung lineup was just released and they have a mid/high-end QLED 4K 43-incher you might want to look at. In default mode they are all way too bright (usually "vivid" or something is the default) and have that motion blurring stuff turned on. We have an older 2016 model and it looks great in "movie" mode with a few tweaks and all the motion enhancement stuff disabled.

I decided to go with a Samsung in large part because aside from the TVs with an integrated Roku, it was the only one that had every platform we used built-in, and the new ones have the Apple ecosystem, too. There is a lot of flexibility with connectivity, like good wifi, a nice smart remote, built-in Bluetooth, wireless connection to Samsung sound stuff, etc.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...class_hdr.html
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

4. Senior Member
      Cars
      KAR 120C
      02-14-2019 10:31 AM #3
      The best picture you will get is from an OLED panel. Having upgraded from a Panny plasma of that era, I am still stunned at the quality of the OLED display.

Second to that is likely the Samsung QLED panels.

Agreed that out of the box, most TV’s look terrible. And motion smoothing is horrible; it literally makes me queasy.
      Last edited by Numbersix; 02-14-2019 at 10:33 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

02-24-2019 09:28 AM #4
      Samsung has just announced they are dropping blu-ray players, I would steer clear of them.

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news...e-format-last/

I have a 10000 hour Panny TC-P55S60 myself, am looking a LG non-OLEDs. They seem to be the best in my in person trials, with Sony 900 series FALDs a close second.

Cars
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      02-24-2019 10:01 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by philf1fan View Post
      Samsung has just announced they are dropping blu-ray players, I would steer clear of them.
      How is this relevant?
      iain

02-24-2019 12:40 PM #6
      After 40 years of home theatre ownership, it's relevant in my experience because as a manufacturer starts dropping hardware, the support for the remaining line-up comes in question. I have been stranded with hardware rendered obsolete enough times to know firmware upgrades are next on the chopping block.

With the advent of HDMI, handshake issues with cables and multi-namufacturer home theatre configurations is a very real problem, and that's without other technology issues such as ARC, data bit-rate, colour gamut, sound proceesing software formats etc etc.

When a manufacturer partners up with Apple and drops hardware, they go off my list of products to consider.

Cars
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      02-24-2019 03:20 PM #7
      I haven't bought a movie on disc in probably 15 years.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

10. 03-13-2019 03:24 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      The 2019 Samsung lineup was just released and they have a mid/high-end QLED 4K 43-incher you might want to look at. In default mode they are all way too bright (usually "vivid" or something is the default) and have that motion blurring stuff turned on. We have an older 2016 model and it looks great in "movie" mode with a few tweaks and all the motion enhancement stuff disabled.

I decided to go with a Samsung in large part because aside from the TVs with an integrated Roku, it was the only one that had every platform we used built-in, and the new ones have the Apple ecosystem, too. There is a lot of flexibility with connectivity, like good wifi, a nice smart remote, built-in Bluetooth, wireless connection to Samsung sound stuff, etc.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...class_hdr.html
      Oh man, this would have been perfect for me. Unfortunately I bought a SAMSUNG UN49NU8000 open box at best buy for a good price. Now it's past the 15 return policy. Really wanted a 43" because it fits the room better but went with the 8000 series 49" for the better features. That's what I get for not doing thorough research. Oh well, first world problems.