Fourtitude.com - Opinions about reusing heat shields
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

2/5 of the Way from San-Fran to Port-Land
      Cars
      82 Rabbit Pickup 1.9D, 82 Jetta 1.9D, 06 MK4 Golf TDI, 2 81 Diesel Sandstone Caddys, 80 5DR
      02-04-2019 10:46 AM #1
      I know that Bentley's and many mechanics say: "always replace"

A set of four Victor Reinz is $30 delivered.

I have a set with less than 10K on them. They look new. I'm going to swap injectors around to see if it makes any difference with my repeated #2 high pressure line failures.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdis...8248833?page=2

I know $30 is not much for peace of mind, but I was hoping to hear from folks about their experiences with reuse.

Has anyone personally experienced a heat shield failure?

Does anyone think cleaning and reusing low mileage heat shields is OK?
      Quote Originally Posted by rabbitnothopper View Post
      facebook...pfft. vwvortex baby!
      The NONSMKR
      My Butte Whip: 82 Jetta Build
      perpetual online swap-meet(V2.2 FS: Early Rabbit Tails)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 02-04-2019 06:12 PM #2
      Peter Rotten sells heat shields for a lower price than what they currently are going for. I recently bought 8 of them and installed a set in a car which I just sold. They are not the normally-black colored shields. Instead, they have a (like American bolts in hardware stores) yellow-gold color.

New heat shields USED to be at a give-away price....years ago. For whatever reason, the price went up substantially in the past 3 years or so.

I guess the price of these was always high in (not-so) great Britain. Over on the "brain-dead" forum (Jack in ohio), there used to be this one long-term lush (I could smell the gin through his emails) who (he claimed) successfully re-bent (restored) the curve/dome on used heat shields.

He used a piece of steel pipe (with one perfectly flat surface/end) which has the same diameter as the rim on the heat shields. This piece of pipe was approx. 1.5 to 2 inches long.

You also buy a steel ball bearing (hardware store) which I believe is 3/8 inch size.

You use a small steel brush to clean up the old heat shield on both sides. You employ a good vice-grip with the flat jaws (not rounded pipe holder-style).

The heat shield is held dome-down on the end of the piece of pipe. The ball bearing is placed in the concave surface. You hold your tongue "just-right" in your mouth while you use the vice-grips to graduating-ly apply pressure to the entire assembly.....thus pushing the ball bearing inward to carefully re-shape the original dome.

You do NOT want to apply too much squeeze on the old heat shield as the dome will fracture and destroy the heat shield. It is BEST to use magnifying glasses to inspect the heat shield between squeezes and AT THE END to ensure you have NOT fractured the dome.

It is also best to be able to compare to a brand new one.....OR, simply have an injector sitting there and place the re-formed heat shield on the end of the injector to ensure it now has the ability to re-squish flat as it is tightened in the bottom of the bore by the injector (upon assembly of the engine).

Yes, I have done this to quite a few of old heat shields....without any sort of disaster...so far. I believe the trick to it is to make sure you are reeking of gin prior to performing the re-forming ritual.

A compromised heat shield in a hole is sort of like what happened to the Challenger space shuttle. It is NOT a good time.

I recently saw standard heat shields somewhere for still around $2 a pop...can't remember where that was.

So, give it a try. Hit the liquor store first and give it 'ell.

Cars
      82 Rabbit Pickup 1.9D, 82 Jetta 1.9D, 06 MK4 Golf TDI, 2 81 Diesel Sandstone Caddys, 80 5DR
      02-04-2019 11:17 PM #3
      Makes sense. The issue is that the shield is deformed by installation. Easier to spend the money when you know the why behind it. I probably used to know that,, but my memory isn't what it used to be. Anyway I don't have any gin. Nothing stronger than .

I'll either spend the $30 or $15 and just swap two. Leaning toward the latter. When I get them, I'll compare to my used ones to get a better idea.

Parts Place has em for $1.95, but the minimum shipping charge is prohibitive.

Is Peter Rotten the one they call Hans? You've mentioned him a couple of times. Do you have a link to where you buy your Rotten parts?

I did see a couple of other cheapos out there, but photo looked rusty. Maybe not an issue?
      The NONSMKR

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 02-05-2019 01:04 AM #4
      Ya mawn…..unca Pete is indeed, Hans.
      I think those heat shields are juss fine.
      His freight was minimal.

I don't know....do a search for hans diesel parts....guaranteed to be found.
      The intake and exhaust valves he sells are either Osvats or Arco's....either will suffice this rebuild. Arco's are South Korean and they produce a LOT of industrial components....between watching northern missiles flying over. On a naturally asp. 1.6, I would run Arco's.

Hey....it's all you OTHER guys who were in favor of all this globalization crap.....right?????

7. Member
      Cars
      81 scirocco 1.6 diesel, 86 golf 1.6D, 85 300TD, 2003 Golf ALH
      02-07-2019 10:10 PM #5
      I reshape them with a 3/8" ball bearing, and then a 1/4" ball bearing for the final touch - using an appropriate size socket and small vice to press it. If you over-do it the center hole will crack, you can check it with a magnifying glass. It won't crack like that on installation as it's pushing back in.

One thing to watch out for is carbon built up where the heat shield sits - I had to carefully clean one out with a long flathead screwdriver to get the shield to sit properly, now I always check that the area inside the head is free of debris.

I don't always reuse them, Got a deal at Orielly's a couple of years ago on some black ones , and also have added them on orders from hans because they are SO overpriced at most places. Always is good to have a few new ones around in case you need them.
      http://www.hansautoparts.com/IDIHeatShield.aspx

Cars
      02-09-2019 12:41 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by sgnimj96 View Post
      I reshape them with a 3/8" ball bearing, and then a 1/4" ball bearing for the final touch - using an appropriate size socket and small vice to press it. If you over-do it the center hole will crack, you can check it with a magnifying glass. It won't crack like that on installation as it's pushing back in.

One thing to watch out for is carbon built up where the heat shield sits - I had to carefully clean one out with a long flathead screwdriver to get the shield to sit properly, now I always check that the area inside the head is free of debris.

I don't always reuse them, Got a deal at Orielly's a couple of years ago on some black ones , and also have added them on orders from hans because they are SO overpriced at most places. Always is good to have a few new ones around in case you need them.
      http://www.hansautoparts.com/IDIHeatShield.aspx
      Thanks.

They're even cheaper on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-1-6-Dies...TYa:rk:25:pf:0

Certainly fits my budget. Forgive me Rockerchick, I think I'll be making my first Prothe purchase.
      The NONSMKR

Cars
      08-04-2019 08:43 PM #7
      Ball bearings purchased, not used.

Prothe large aperature chinese-gold shields purchased, not used.

20 Febi heat shields purchased from Pelican at $1.50 apiece: $30.

Compare to Amazon or Ebay at $8 apiece:$160 for 20; from whence came this thread.

Now I can concentrate on the injectors...
      Last edited by mokoosh; 08-04-2019 at 09:02 PM.
      The NONSMKR

10. Member
      Cars
      81 scirocco 1.6 diesel, 86 golf 1.6D, 85 300TD, 2003 Golf ALH
      08-08-2019 09:41 AM #8
      I'd email about those odd heat shields. I suspect he knows because they are "out of stock" now.
      I have some old ones, same sizes

A quick search from the part # shows these
      https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ATM068130219

I use 2 ball bearings when I reshape em', a bigger one first, then finish the center a bit with a smaller one. Small vice with a correct sized socket backing, doesn't take much. If they didn't seal, you'll see bubbles come out the threads where the injector screws in. Soap and water test I do.
      Last edited by sgnimj96; 08-08-2019 at 09:50 AM.

Cars
      08-09-2019 02:44 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by sgnimj96 View Post
      I'd email about those odd heat shields. I suspect he knows because they are "out of stock" now.
      I have some old ones, same sizes

A quick search from the part # shows these
      https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ATM068130219

I use 2 ball bearings when I reshape em', a bigger one first, then finish the center a bit with a smaller one. Small vice with a correct sized socket backing, doesn't take much. If they didn't seal, you'll see bubbles come out the threads where the injector screws in. Soap and water test I do.
      Wow, $.99 at Napa! Stock up.

As for the Prothe shields, at $5 delivered I feel that I got what I paid for; that is I got a reminder of why we don't buy critical engine components from Hans.
      Last edited by mokoosh; 08-09-2019 at 08:18 PM.
      The NONSMKR

Cars
      97 Jetta TDI, 1990 Passat TDI wagon, 92 300SD turbo
      08-10-2019 01:14 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by mokoosh View Post
      Wow, $.99 at Napa! Stock up.

As for the Prothe shields, at $5 delivered I feel that I got what I paid for; that is I got a reminder of why we don't buy critical engine components from Hans.
      The large aperature heat shields are more consistent with some used on MB diesel engines. I remember comparing some years ago and noticing the difference.

Purchasing from Hans (or his myriad other names) is never really a bargain.

Steve
      Did you poison the coffee? Not any more than I usually do.

13. 08-13-2019 12:42 PM #11
      Unca Pete used to sell shields NOT like these. He sells what he can muster.
      If you need a 12 mm diesel head.....let me know. I am moving into the later ALH cars and have been hoarding several heads (solid and hydro) which have all been disassembled and cleaned.....most ported.