Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
      Cars
      2013 GTI/9-5 Aero SportCombi/993
      02-26-2019 12:35 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post

Then gave it a quick wash for the first time since I got it. Cleans up nicely.

I'm starting to warm up to the wheels. I know it'll look a lot better with a drop and eventually I may just get them refinished to go along with new bolts. Or maybe I'll get something else. I don't know, bigger priorities for now.

Too bad I ended up selling the Carrera Sports with essentially brand new Pilot Sports I bought for my never-purchased Cayman a few months ago. They look amazing on the 987 Cayman IMHO.

Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      E39 M5 | 987.2
      02-26-2019 12:54 PM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      Too bad I ended up selling the Carrera Sports with essentially brand new Pilot Sports I bought for my never-purchased Cayman a few months ago. They look amazing on the 987 Cayman IMHO.
      Yeah...we could've met up at Langer's and sealed the deal! Were they 18s? I wanna stick with that size.

4. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      02-26-2019 12:58 PM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post

Wow, those do look sharp.

Why exactly did you bail on the Cayman?
      Instagram - efrie004

5. Member
      Cars
      2012 Cayman, 2018 Alltrack
      02-26-2019 01:10 PM #104
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post

The Carrera Sport wheels are 19's, and wide, 8.5" in the front and 10" in the rear. Look amazing, but the second most expensive 987 wheel option, after the Boxster Spyder wheels.

I'd agree with staying away from 19's, unless you have glass smooth roads. Porsche recommended tire pressures jump from 30psi cold to 37psi cold for the fronts IIRC, that's a lot less give on sharp impacts.

I really like the Cayman S II wheels you have, if you want something different what about some super light OZ Alleggerita's, over 5 lbs lighter than stock per wheel, look good, not crazy expensive. Not sure how strong they are though.

Cars
      2013 GTI/9-5 Aero SportCombi/993
      02-26-2019 01:42 PM #105

I was basically locked into the Cayman. It was a one-owner 987.2 manual base with 80ish k miles, all records (and an Excel maintenance log from day one) and minor mods (Softronics tune) owned by a doctor/med school professor at the University of Nevada. He was selling it because he bought a brand new Cayman. Couldn't ask for a better owner. Negotiated the price down to $17.5k from $18.5k and told him I'd fly into Reno and pick it up in a week. Then found the 993 and immediately switched gears. In hindsight, I should have bought both.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisA View Post
      The Carrera Sport wheels are 19's, and wide, 8.5" in the front and 10" in the rear. Look amazing, but the second most expensive 987 wheel option, after the Boxster Spyder wheels.
      I ended up finding mine for under $1k, with nearly new Michelin Pilot Super Sports on Craigslist. Sold them for $1300 once I had no use for them.

Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

7. Member
      Cars
      The NATO garage: 3 British, 2 German, 2 American.
      02-26-2019 02:13 PM #106
      I say go with Sonax and rinse with warm water if you can, then apply wax, then you should be good to go with just soap and water (preferably warm).
      I've been using the Sonax as well on the wheels and it definitely repels brake dust and makes cleanups much easier.

BTW, you said you have warmed up to the wheels (i think they look great when they're cleaned up!). What other wheel colors and wheels have you considered?

Cars
      E39 M5 | 987.2
      02-26-2019 10:00 PM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Car_Guy View Post
      I've been using the Sonax as well on the wheels and it definitely repels brake dust and makes cleanups much easier.

BTW, you said you have warmed up to the wheels (i think they look great when they're cleaned up!). What other wheel colors and wheels have you considered?
      Favorite option would be BBS CH-Rs in silver. LMs wouldn't be bad either but I don't see myself spending that kinda coin given my upcoming house projects.

I don't wanna go black but a platinum or gunmetal color would work too IMO. The OZ Fomula HLT could be an option but not with the fake centerlock look.

What are your recommendations? I forget what you have on yours.

9. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      02-26-2019 10:07 PM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Car_Guy View Post
      I'm sold.
      Instagram - efrie004

10. Member
      Cars
      The NATO garage: 3 British, 2 German, 2 American.
      02-27-2019 12:02 AM #109
      Favorite option would be BBS CH-Rs in silver. LMs wouldn't be bad either but I don't see myself spending that kinda coin given my upcoming house projects. I don't wanna go black but a platinum or gunmetal color would work too IMO. The OZ Fomula HLT could be an option but not with the fake centerlock look. What are your recommendations? I forget what you have on yours.
      Those are some great choices! I don't really have any recommendations - wheels are a very personal, subjective choice. I was mainly wondering if you would consider black or grey, but I think that car deserves a nice bright saver like those BBS. The Carrera Sports Vad showed also look fantastic. I have Fikse Profil-10 for use with my track tires, and they are very durable and light. Mine are powder-coated black, but they were once silver and I miss them!

Or a Forgeline like the RBC3 which comes in gunmetal with a polished lip.

With all that said, I still like what you have and I'd think you could spend money more wisely on other upgrades (or none at all, given house projects!). A change in suspension would change the look more than the wheels, I think, and would also aid in handling if you do the right setup.

Cars
      E39 M5 | 987.2
      03-06-2019 01:37 AM #110
      Well this took longer than expected, but what a satisfying mod. The peace of mind is a huge reason why I wanted to replace the cables sooner than later too. Thought about the short shifter from Numeric Racing as well, but figured I should prioritize other areas first.

The cables had a lot of hype and they did not disappoint. Looked really solid and stop me if you've heard this before, but "they should've been like this from the factory." Also bought the wrench which was incredibly handy. If there's any room for improvement, it's to include the wrench with the cables to begin with, then offer a zero-cost "wrench delete" option for those who don't want it.

Removing the console wasn't too bad, just tedious being careful not to break any tabs. Spoiler alert: I broke 2 tabs. The radio surrounds need to be pulled directly out without any twisting at all. But with the other 2 tabs still in tact and being held by screws at the bottom, they're fine.

Getting the stock cables out near this end was quite easy.

I decided on getting the tool for locking the shifter in neutral. Fortunately Pelican had it in stock and I picked it up via will-call. Well worth the $5.75.

Just so happened they were having an open house too.

Getting the cables off the transmission bracket on the driver's side was a lot harder, until I tried using a wrench which did the trick.

My neighbor was doing some work in his garage and as a cyclist, figured he probably had a thinner wrench which would make popping off the cables even easier. He let me borrow the tool below and yup, I had it off in 2 seconds.

Cables out! To compound his generosity, he also gave me the remainder of a 6-pack of porters that a friend gave him. Apparently purchased at the 99 cent store and well, he doesn't like porters so I gladly took them off his hands and gave him a full 6-pack of super hoppy IPAs that I don't really like. Nice.

Stock shifter out as well.

Took the old silicone hose and cut it in a not-very-neat spiral and wrapped the new cables with them. Fun fact: spirals are also a great way to cut your hot dogs before grilling them.

Tightening the new cable to the brackets. Not much room in there.

New cables installed.

Reused the original grommet but had to slice it open first.

To get the reverse cable on the plastic boss, I lined it up and got it halfway on, then used a little persuasion to get it fully seated. I was having a little trouble with adjusting the shift selector cable (kept coming up short) until I realized the selector on the transmission end was in 3rd. Once I popped it back into neutral, all was swell.

All buttoned up and ready for a test drive, which ended up being 29 glorious miles long.

Honestly, at this point I have no desire to upgrade any further. Yes the throws can be shorter and tighter, but I feel the current level suits the car's character perfectly for a daily driver with the occasional canyon run. I'd rather use that money on springs or I don't know,...maybe a front-load washer.

12. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      03-06-2019 01:43 AM #111
      As soon as I saw you cut the shielding in a spiral I knew hot dogs were coming.

Congrats Kiz, that's quite the job to tackle on your own. Enjoy the rewards!
      Instagram - efrie004

Cars
      E39 M5 | 987.2
      03-06-2019 01:45 AM #112
      As soon as I saw you cut the shielding in a spiral I knew hot dogs were coming.

Congrats Kiz, that's quite the job to tackle on your own. Enjoy the rewards!
      I mean how can you argue with this?!?!

14. Member
      03-06-2019 04:33 AM #113
      stop me if you've heard this before
      I see what you did there.

15. Member
      Cars
      2012 Cayman, 2018 Alltrack
      03-06-2019 09:59 AM #114
      Wow, good job! Replacing my cables are on my list as well, but I'm thinking of tempting fate and putting it off until after a new set of wheels and PS4S tires. Was planning on the updated Porsche cables, perhaps with a GT3 shifter as well.

I must have missed it, these are the Numeric cables?

Cars
      E39 M5 | 987.2
      03-06-2019 11:49 AM #115
      Quote Originally Posted by KrisA View Post
      I must have missed it, these are the Numeric cables?
      Correct. Another reason why I stuck with the stock shifter is replacing that requires just removing the console, which wasn't the hardest part of the mod. Tasks like that become a lot easier the 2nd time around too IMO.

But I can also the appeal of doing everything at once.

Cars
      Present: 991.1 GT3 Past: ND MX-5, GVB STI
      03-06-2019 12:04 PM #116

I love Speed Yellow
      Last edited by Meroving1an; 03-12-2019 at 10:57 PM.

Cars
      E39 M5 | 987.2
      03-12-2019 09:45 PM #117
      Took care of some simple, yet gratifying mods over the weekend.

First up was replacing the aging gas struts for the frunk. Ordered the OEM Stabilus ones from FCP Euro and glad to see they come pre-lubricated.

Propped the bonnet open using the Porsche special tool (part no. 987-HD-YS-JK-TTYL) which held it at the perfect angle for replacing them.

Popped off the retaining clips and they easily came off. I'll do the trunk ones eventually.

The switch for opening the frunk was intermittently not working due to the plastic being worn out. New one acquired.

Removed the 2 caps on the door sill next to the Nike swoosh logo.

That "reveals" 2 socket head screws that require a 5 mm allen wrench. I used quotes because they're buried behind the carpet. The one closer to the rear of the seat is harder to access unless you have a short allen wrench, but it's doable.

Once they're loose, the sill comes off by prying the clips loose and pulling straight up. Put the new one in and we're good there.

Lastly I replaced Key #1 as it was missing the lock/unlock button. Upon disassembly, many dingleberries were discovered.

Just for kicks, I called the dealer and got the following quote:

New key = $482.22...

Programming labor = $117...

Yeah, no. So I got a new OEM key fob from Suncoast for $190 and transferred the key, transmitter, and the immobilizer pill.

I read several stories of people having to destroy their old key fob to get the pill out (it's glued in), but that wasn't an issue with the right tool.

Just gotta place the pick in that opening and it just pops out.

Cars
      '17 Accord Sport SE 6MT & '15 INFINITI QX60 Family Truckster
      03-12-2019 09:57 PM #118
      Great thread Kiz! Nice Cayman!

When I get out to the west coast, I have many CL members to meet!

20. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      03-12-2019 10:55 PM #119
      Thanks for the update sir!
      Instagram - efrie004

Cars
      E39 M5 | 987.2
      03-13-2019 11:06 AM #120
      Quote Originally Posted by GolfTango View Post
      Great thread Kiz! Nice Cayman!

When I get out to the west coast, I have many CL members to meet!
      Fo sho! Gimme a heads up so I can coordinate with the mayor to close some streets for us.

03-13-2019 02:09 PM #121
      I saw the key replacement on your IG... have to remember that when I eventually buy a Porsche.

Cars
      Honda Pilot, C4S
      03-13-2019 02:39 PM #122
      Hey Kiz, What'd you use to pry those two little caps that cover the 5mm bolts?

Cars
      2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 2018 Outback, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 93 W124 gone to the glue factory
      03-13-2019 02:47 PM #123
      I have a lot of respect for those who take such nice, detailed photos of their projects. I always go in with delusions of grandeur that I'm going to document my work to share (such as my recent Mini suspension rebuild), only to get sucked into the project and can't be bothered to break my momentum to take pictures.
      I spend my days in a 70,000 sq ft wonderland www.hymanltd.com

Cars
      E39 M5 | 987.2
      03-13-2019 04:02 PM #124
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      I saw the key replacement on your IG... have to remember that when I eventually buy a Porsche.
      It may be harder to do on the GT2RS you're considering, but worth a shot regardless.
      Quote Originally Posted by titleist1976 View Post
      Hey Kiz, What'd you use to pry those two little caps that cover the 5mm bolts?
      I used this fancy Snap-On trim tool that has nice rounded edges...it was left behind by the indy shop after working on the MR2 back in the day. I can post a pic when I get home. But any flat head will work.
      Quote Originally Posted by geofftii2002 View Post
      I have a lot of respect for those who take such nice, detailed photos of their projects. I always go in with delusions of grandeur that I'm going to document my work to share (such as my recent Mini suspension rebuild), only to get sucked into the project and can't be bothered to break my momentum to take pictures.

Sometimes I wonder why it takes me longer than most to do stuff...then I remember I can save time by not documenting it, but I obviously enjoy that aspect.

26. Member
      Cars
      997 GTS | 987.2 Cayman S
      03-13-2019 05:38 PM #125
      Lastly I replaced Key #1 as it was missing the lock/unlock button. Upon disassembly, many dingleberries were discovered.

Just for kicks, I called the dealer and got the following quote:

New key = $482.22...

Programming labor = $117...

Yeah, no. So I got a new OEM key fob from Suncoast for $190 and transferred the key, transmitter, and the immobilizer pill.

You did what? You needed a $20 keyshell off amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Keyless-Porsc.../dp/B0727S8YPT

The broken button is extremely common for 987/997 cars. I've had broken ones on both the 997.2 and the 987.2. Even a brand new keyshell from Porsche directly doesn't hold up, I got a new unused key with the 911 when I bought it (they were short one and I asked them to provide 2 with the car so they made a new one) and it didn't hold up either. The amazon key shells I've bought are the same quality and tactility as the OE based on comparing them.

I ended up doing a DIY mod on a new key shell last year after being tired of having a broken button every 7 months or so. I got the new key shell with its parts and reinforced a tiny tab on the plastic underside of the buttons. I epoxied a sliver of aluminum from a soda can to the little part of the plastic tab that breaks. It's held for a year now, so time will tell. I think it's going to last though.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast