Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ode to Frontier

Cars
      D40 Frontier CC 4X4, 3BG Passat .:RS Variant
      08-13-2019 11:57 PM #26
      My leaf springs broke after 5 years (checked invoice). Opted for HD leafs this this even with bilstein 5100 shocks. These trucks werent made for payload or hauling but I still think they are great all around trucks!

As for tires, had Bridgestone Revo 2, some Dunlop all seasons and now Kumho AT 51's. Won't get aggressive all terrain tires again as it feels like I'm sliding on ice driving over 130km/hr and killed mileage. But they are great in winter! The Dunlop were't safe for winter. Maybe the Revo 2 if priced right.

And brakes suck no matter what brand and after flushing.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      '14 WRB Frontier, '08 Outback, '98 M3, '91 GTI
      08-14-2019 08:04 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by fireside View Post
      Good to see a nice update. I still love mine, I just hate how my automatic shifts into 3rd gear. It's definitely not smooth and definitely has a good bump to it most times.
      Odd, never had any issues with 3rd gear. Did you use the right fluid? I know at some point they switched from Matic-J to Matic-S in these trucks but I donít know what would happen if the wrong fluid was used. Just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by dwagner88 View Post
      So do new Frontiers still use a hydraulic rack? It has to be one of the last new vehicles that hasnít swapped to an electric rack.
      Yup, still a hydraulic rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      Anyway, unlike Toyota's, these depreciate. I could totally see myself owning a used one someday.
      Yup, I canít wait to see that if/when I go to sell it

Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      Thanks for the update!

As far as the 7.3L PSD, for that price I'd say jump on it. If you can get it running you will not lose money on it. To be fair, after putting a tune and exhaust on several of these, they are plenty powerful afterwards and return decent MPG's.

They're also dead simple and stupid reliable. You never seem them go in for heads, studs, head gaskets, etc. They just keep on keepin' on.
      The 7.3 already runs and drives, but needs a new oil pan which is a PITA job. It also has some degree of rot (cab corners, bed) that I have yet to see in person yet. But youíre right, at that price itís tough to find even a 5.4L Super Duty that needs a lot of help at that price.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Point8TDan View Post
      As for tires, had Bridgestone Revo 2, some Dunlop all seasons and now Kumho AT 51's. Won't get aggressive all terrain tires again as it feels like I'm sliding on ice driving over 130km/hr and killed mileage. But they are great in winter! The Dunlop were't safe for winter. Maybe the Revo 2 if priced right.

Damn. I had a feeling that might be the case.

So far the Continentals donít seem to have affected the mileage too bad. Still going to have the balance checked - new tires shouldnít shake more than old tires.

4. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      08-14-2019 08:36 AM #28
      Iíve ran into shaky tire problems quite a bit over the last year and a half. The tire shop Iíve always used canít seem to balance tires on anything smaller than a half ton truck.

I ended up taking my 4Runner to the Toyota dealership specifically to get balanced. They were able to get it right, if you have issues Iíd recommend you do the same. Or at least another tire shop.
      Instagram - efrie004

Buy my E46 sport springs. H&R part # 29485 - PM for details.

Cars
      Random Junk
      08-14-2019 08:44 AM #29
      I have been eyeballing an older pro-4x for some time now..
      Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
      Cheapest way to 9s is to buy someone else's 8 second car, then drive it yourself.
      Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
      Elevation down two clicks, windage left two clicks. Send it.

Cars
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      08-14-2019 09:02 AM #30
      My leaf springs broke after 5 years (checked invoice). Opted for HD leafs this this even with bilstein 5100 shocks. These trucks werent made for payload or hauling but I still think they are great all around trucks!

On the tire discussion... on my last 4Runner I got a set of new General Grabber at2's specifically because they were winter-snowflake rated AT that could handle light offroad (it's basically an old BFG AT tread pattern). While they were decent in winter, they really paled in comparison to a real snow tire.

My other 4th gen was a full-time 4WD V8 and it came with Cooper M&S tires that were far softer as they were technically a Winter tire. But I ran them year-round for 3 years (it's what came with the truck) and they were very good on-road and especially good in the winter. http://us.coopertire.com/tires/discoverer-m-s-suv

The "hot" tire right now in the 4runner community is the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W, which is also snowflake rated. I suspect that it's actually no better in winter driving than the other snowflake AT's though. https://www.falkentire.com/tires/lig...peaka/t3w-tire

I've noticed more and more trucks in my area (Vermont) running Goodyear Duratracs which are, reportedly, VERY good in the winter snow and ice. Even our Town Service trucks run them. They are a bit more aggressive than other AT's but have lots of siping and jaggies on the tread blocks unlike most MT's. "Real" offroaders say the sidewalls are too weak but for a mostly on-road tire that's rarely an issue. https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-duratrac

7. Member
      Cars
      2019 Audi RS 3
      08-14-2019 09:13 AM #31
      My leaf springs broke after 5 years (checked invoice).
      +
      These trucks werent made for payload or hauling
      +
      =
      I still think they are great all around trucks!
      Nissan owners never cease to amaze.

Cars
      Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
      08-14-2019 03:19 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by cseaman View Post
      +

+

=

Lol.

I own a Pathfinder which is based on this truck. It is pretty mediocre at best. What get's me is the V12-like gas mileage. I am not sure how this thing is significantly worse than my family's V8 F150 with fuel mileage.
      Nissan Pathfinder LE
      Dodge Challenger Scat Pack 6-speed

Gone but not forgotten: '99 Camaro SS 6MT | '00 Mustang GT 5MT | and a bunch of Maximas and other cars...

Cars
      08-14-2019 04:05 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by paradigmGT View Post
      Lol.

I own a Pathfinder which is based on this truck. It is pretty mediocre at best. What get's me is the V12-like gas mileage. I am not sure how this thing is significantly worse than my family's V8 F150 with fuel mileage.
      Yeah I donít know if Nissan tweaked the later VQís for fuel economy or what. Back in the day, when I dragged my C10 project home with a friendís 2007 Frontier, we got 7 mpg.

When Iím towing my car trailer, Iím still well into double digits (usually 14-16)

08-14-2019 04:44 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Stevo12 View Post
      Yeah I donít know if Nissan tweaked the later VQís for fuel economy or what. Back in the day, when I dragged my C10 project home with a friendís 2007 Frontier, we got 7 mpg.

When Iím towing my car trailer, Iím still well into double digits (usually 14-16)
      Yeah, that old 3.3 struggled bad just hauling itself. The 4.0 is a monster by comparison. Also, if you've got a car on that trailer and getting that mileage, that's stellar. I'm usually only getting about 13 with a car on the car trailer behind the Ram 3500 Cummins.

Chris
      | 2017 Elantra | 2018 JLU Sport | 2013 C-Max Energi | 2001 BMW 740 iL | 1974 SuperBeetle | 1962 Ford Unibody | The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

Cars
      2011 Fozzy
      08-15-2019 04:39 AM #35
      Very convenient thread to pop up for me. After looking at used Tacomas I am weighing other options. I figured at least the 1st gen early 2nd gens would be getting down to somewhat reasonable prices by now but that isn't so. Most of what I'd consider a "reasonable" price for a used Taco has the 4cyl engine and has well over 100k miles and is more than likely a regular cab if it has less than 100k. I'm not willing to give up everything that an extended cab has over a regular cab and I don't need a crew/quad/whatever with four full doors. The Frontier is also a little smaller than the Tacoma so it'd probably actually fit in my parking spot.

I'd like to grab one and throw one of these on top

and toss my mountain bike and other camp crap inside and get out more. I do a fair amount of camping and not having to set up/tear down as much or carrying as many things back and forth into my building would be awesome.

That being said, there is a 2019 SV king cab with the value package in my area listed for $25.5 including current incentives and a certified 2019 Pro 4X with 338 miles on it (which seems odd) for $29k. I'm not totally sold on an auto transmission and I don't know that the Pro 4X is worth $3.5k over the SV for what seems like, for the most part, different wheels, seats, tires, and a rear locker. I also can't seem to find a king cab with a manual in any trim near me. There are only five in a 400 mile radius on AutoTrader and all but one is older than 2013 and most of them are 300+ miles away from me.

There are plenty of used examples kicking around for $15-20k with reasonable mileage and an auto trans.

The real world gas mileage on these is also pretty surprising. My 04 v6 Tacoma averaged about 22mpg if I drove it like a granny with probably 70% highway driving and a fair amount of time stuck in traffic.

Cars
      08-15-2019 08:53 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      Yeah, that old 3.3 struggled bad just hauling itself. The 4.0 is a monster by comparison. Also, if you've got a car on that trailer and getting that mileage, that's stellar. I'm usually only getting about 13 with a car on the car trailer behind the Ram 3500 Cummins.

Chris
      I think itís because I know I canít beat a tortoise in a drag race with 5,000 lbs hitched to the truck, so I donít try. Iíll keep it from being dangerously slow on the highway when merging as to not cause any accidents, but Iím not going to try and maintain 70 MPH uphill on a 55-65 MPH highway with a dedicated truck lane. That way it also doesnít kill the transmission either.

Also keep in mind Iím trailering 3000-3500 lb cars on an open trailer. Speeds in the Northeast are down compared to the Midwest so thereís probably the difference right there.

Still, Iíd appreciate some of the benefits of a heavier duty truck, namely the brakes. With a weight distributing hitch, the truck actually rides quite well. HD guys would probably laugh at my hitch and brake controller for towing ďonlyĒ 5,000 lbs but it helps me get the most out of this truck that I can.

Quote Originally Posted by kenny301 View Post
      Very convenient thread to pop up for me.
      Ironically, I set out to buy a used Taco as well. Iím a yuge fan of the 4th-gen 4Runner and hoped that the Taco would just be a 4th-gen with a bed.

It was noticeably cheaper-feeling and the 4.0 feels less spunkier in the Taco vs the 4Runner. The cheaper feeling interior also felt less durable, as the used examples I drove felt worn out in a shockingly short amount of time. Maybe my expectations were too high, but I was disappointed in the Taco *for the price* as I still think itís a decent truck. If there was price parity with the Nissan, I may have given the nod to Toyota based on brand reliability - as they were both 2005-era trucks at the time - but I paid substantially less for a new truck at Nissan and I havenít been left wanting in the reliability department either.

Regarding mileage, some of my mileage figures (hand-calcíd each tankful) topped 20-21 MPG on mostly highway trips. Lately, those figures have dropped as my daily drive involves a lot more elevation change and short trips around town. Most tanks end up in the 17-19 range, but Iím doing a lot less miles per year than I was before, so the cost is evening out.

Cars
      Arteon SEL-P
      08-15-2019 05:28 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by strapontin View Post
      Has anyone even ever seen the Frontier's platform mate, the short-lived Suzuki Equator?
      Forgot about the equator. The schtick was the 10yr/100k warranty which the Fronteir didn't offer.

What about the Navara, its like it went through the whole first gen w/o ever being noticed here (similar to the ranger)

Quote Originally Posted by kenny301 View Post
      A certified 2019 Pro 4X with 338 miles on it (which seems odd) for $29k.
      Maybe it was bought back
      Last edited by ice4life; 08-15-2019 at 05:31 PM.

Cars
      2011 Fozzy
      08-15-2019 11:13 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post

Maybe it was bought back
      Which could be concerning given the limitations of Nissan's CPO coverage. 10 years 100k miles powertrain only. None of the electronics or anything else is covered. I'd hate to buy a truck with 400 miles on it and pay for all of the factory gremlins to get fixed out of my pocket.

15. 08-16-2019 12:16 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Stevo12 View Post
      Tl;dr - I still really like this truck. Pros are that it was cheap to buy, it has been very reliable and versatile, and is everything I need it to do. Cons are that I don't like the brakes or the 5-speed automatic. And it is still a Nissan.

Anyway...

In a couple weeks, I will have owned my '14 Nissan Frontier for 4 years. It's coming up on the longest time that I've owned a vehicle. Figured I'd use this post to chronicle some of the highlights of the journey I've had with this Nissan product.

Rewinding back to late 2014, I had a leased Mk6 Sportwagen, 2.5L gasser with a stick. And a utility trailer. With snows. It was kinda your typical TCL anti-SUV. However, I was racking up miles since I took a job since leasing the Sportwagen that had me commuting 100 miles/day. While I tried to do the bulk of that in my Miata, I still ended up putting a ton of miles on the Sportwagen. By the time the 2-year anniversary of the lease rolled around (December 2014) the car had amassed 35,000 miles - despite not driving it "all that often." That, and I wasn't in love with driving it in the snow - best FWD car I ever had, but it and the ground clearance were an issue on the unplowed roads I drove when coming home from work in the snow. So I was looking for something 4WD, and with ground clearance. Naturally, I tried out Subaru first, and while the deal was pretty good for a new '15 Forester Premium w/ 6MT ($23K), I investigated the possibility of a truck. That would allow me to not have to hitch up the trailer every time I did a dump run, and allow for me to tow other things, like a car.

Went to CarMax and drove used Frontiers and Tacomas back to back. Preferred the Frontier for its cabin feel - taller windows, higher seat / better driving position. The condition of the used Tacoma we drove (a 2013 w/ only 30k on it) also didn't inspire confidence - lots of wind getting past the seals when we took it on the highway. They also wanted near $30k for that particular example But since I have soft spot for Toyota trucks, I checked out new ones as well. In the end, the interior quality still didn't awe me enough to justify the $32k price tag for the crew cab SR5 4x4 at the local dealer.

So I set my sights on a used Frontier SV, preferably with the Value Pkg, which added a tow package, spray-in bedliner, utility tracks (for tie-downs and such). With prospects few and far between - the Value Pkg had been introduced for the 2013 model year - I discovered a number of places with leftover 2014's, including the Nissan dealer that was 5 minutes from my work. I worked a deal to take home a leftover Crew Cab 4x4 w/ SV Value Package in Metallic Blue with 30 miles on the clock for $26k+TTL. I had some negative equity in the Jetta thanks to the lease, but TBH I was going to be in for that much with mileage fees at the end of the lease, so I just ate it. Hey, just trying to live up to the typical Nissan buyer, seeing as my credit was not in typical range.

Here's from the night I picked up the truck, with the Jetta sitting next to it:

And again that same night, picking up groceries:

And again the next morning at work:

It immediately went to work, racking up the miles as my winter daily, and then trading off as my wife's daily when I took her Mazda3 for my long drive instead. I've taken it on trips all over the Northeast - whether to pick up parts, cars, or just to be a more comfortable alternative to my wife's Mazda.

Speaking of cars, it has dragged home a number of my rides over the years, including:
      • 1997 VW Jetta VR6
      • 1992 VW GTI
      • 2002 WRX
      • 1997 M3
      • 1991 VW GTI

It also dragged around the M3 and '91 GTI a bunch, after the M3's accident and while we were in the process of moving. It has also dragged a bunch of utility trailers - both my own and rented UHaul 6x12's - when the need for firewood arose (or when I had to sell mine when we were moving), or when I got back together (briefly) with my old FSAE buddies and attempted to bring one of our old cars back to life.

I even loaned it out to a friend of mine who was moving house with a 6-week-old baby - things needed to be a little more on his schedule, so I just let him have it for 6 weeks while they slowly moved from their apartment to their new house.

Also, as a result of my enabling habits (towards one of my car buddies), it also dragged home a $400 B5 Avant, running and driving (off the trailer at least), with a pristine body. Pretty proud of that score, actually - so I was happy to drag it home with the little truck that could.

When I started out, I was doing about 15k/year, but since then other cars came into the fold that allowed me to drive the Frontier less, unless the weather really got sh*tty. And now it serves once again as my daily driver - with a lot shorter commute as we have since moved and I changed jobs from that 100 mile/day commute. It currently has just shy of 51,000 miles on it.

Mods
      The only 'mods' I've done to it so far is add an electric brake controller (Tekonsha Primus IQ), 35% window tints up front (should have gone 20%), and a tramp stamp on the tailgate.

That last one was not by choice. I was loading my motorcycle onto my utility trailer when it popped off the ball and went forward into the tailgate. Mistakes happen, and I'll probably get the tailgate fixed one day.

Maintenance
      This is supposed to be what separates the Nissans from the Toyotas.

But so far, it hasn't proven to break the bank. Average mileage has been a tick under 19 mpg. I do oil changes myself, every 5k miles. It takes 5.5 quarts of 5W-30, so I get whatever synthetic or blend that's available for ~$20 on Amazon, and I bought a bulk pack of Nissan filters at about $8/ea.

So far I've put 1 engine air filter and one cabin filter through it, and replaced the brake pads and rotors at 35k miles - probably a consequence of towing a lot with UHaul trailers and their nose heaviness and surge brakes - one of the main reasons I ended up buying my own car trailer. I replaced the brakes with Hawk LTX pads and Centric rotors, which IIRC cost about $300 total (DIY). I was hoping for better brake performance - the brakes aren't confidence-inspiring even when unloaded - so one of these days I need to flush the fluid through and see if that livens things up.

I did a transmission service at 30k miles, replacing the Nissan fluid with the Rowe equivalent because I could get my hands on it cheaper than Nissan S-matic. It was a bit of a mistake, as I believe it to be one of the causes of my dipping fuel mileage (I used to get 20-21 mpg consistently on highway trips in the summer) and I noticed it takes the transmission longer to come up to temp in the morning. I'll probably do another service at 60k with S-matic. The transmission is one of the things I like least about it because it's only a 5-speed, so the ratio gaps are large; and the aforementioned fluid temp issue which keeps the converter unlocked until the trans comes up to temp, killing my fuel mileage. On the upside, the shifts are smooth and seamless, and it has an external trans cooler from factory - eliminating a big problem with these trucks, which was the strawberry milkshake resulting from the failure of the integrated radiator/trans cooler.

I'm still on the original tires - BFG Radial Long Trails - chalk that up to rotations every 5-10k miles. They could probably go to 60k, but I'll probably replace them before next season.

The only unscheduled repair was this past summer. While I was hauling firewood to the 2 friends I'd sold it to (since we were moving) I lost power steering. Seeing the PS fluid all over the rack, led me to believe I'd blown a seal in the rack. It was also a hot day, and the truck had been working, hauling 2+ cords of firewood on top of a large dump run. Thinking I'd blown the rack, I took it to the local Nissan dealer, and they diagnosed a blown HP hose. That set me back about $700. And that was the only unscheduled repair, and frankly, stuff happens - and kudos to the Nissan dealer for having it back on the road less than 24 hours later.

And that's pretty much it. Here's a shot of it today, hauling firewood from my lower garage to the upper one (where we stack it before use). It continues to be my versatile workhorse, whether living the easy city life commuting to work / school, or hauling all my various pieces of crap everywhere. It's a good truck.

Hey is that Saulters Pond in the pics? If it is, I grew up in walking distance and swam there as a kid.

Nice use of a decent little truck. Iíve resigned to myself that a truck is our future and hadnít considered the frontier at all. Was going to start looking at used Tacomas and ridgelines this fall. It would get minimal use as a 4th or eventually 5th car. But would be kept for a long time. Will do more research on these.

Cars
      08-16-2019 09:01 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by DanTSX View Post
      Hey is that Saulters Pond in the pics? If it is, I grew up in walking distance and swam there as a kid.
      Wow, great eye! Sure is. Loved living in that neighborhood, spent 7 years in that house.

Ended up finding our dream house and moved a year ago almost to the day, but I do miss that neighborhood

Cars
      D40 Frontier CC 4X4, 3BG Passat .:RS Variant
      08-17-2019 03:30 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by cseaman View Post
      It sounds bad but considering I bought the truck in 2010 for $18,500 it isn't bad. At that time there really wasn't anything better for this kind of price. Only other 2 truck I would consider is a F150 2.7T or RAM ED but I'd be shelling out $40K for those. The cost of brakes and suspension makes it worth it. I do realize I shouldn't be owning this truck for the work I do with it, but I enjoy driving it for what it is.

Cars
      14 focus st
      08-17-2019 03:41 PM #42
      It sounds bad but considering I bought the truck in 2010 for $18,500 it isn't bad. At that time there really wasn't anything better for this kind of price. Only other 2 truck I would consider is a F150 2.7T or RAM ED but I'd be shelling out $40K for those. The cost of brakes and suspension makes it worth it. I do realize I shouldn't be owning this truck for the work I do with it, but I enjoy driving it for what it is.
      They're workhorses thats for sure. Towed a 5200lb trailer Thursday, towed a 2500lb trailer today, and threw 1400lb of vinyl plank hardwood look flooring in the bed earlier. It never bats an eye.

Planned upgrades are Bilstein 5100's with a 2" lift in front, HD leaf springs for the rear with Bilstein 5100 shocks (https://www.generalspringkc.com/product_p/69-285hd.htm) which will lift the rear about 2", 265/75-16 (Pro-4x size, 32") LT tires and call it a day.

Will do this when she needs a suspension refresh @ 100k mi or so. @ 45k now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12