Fourtitude.com - More harm than good?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Cars
      1962 Lincoln Continental
      01-26-2019 04:09 PM #1
      Full disclosure, I'm very uneducated in home theater, but not uncommon with the terms and understanding, if that makes sense. So I know there is tons I don't know about. I just wanted to get your thoughts on if I'm hindering myself or wasting time with old products.

Right now I have a PS4 and Apple TV 4K. Both are running through my pioneer elite receiver VSX-92TXH. That is sending the sound to two Paradigm titan monitor v.5's and a Paradigm center speaker. I've had the receiver and speakers for over a decade at least. Recently I was staying at a house with a Sonos playbar and it sounded ridiculously good. Not that my system sounds bad, but it seemed a lot worse than just that simple sound bar.

1. Is my stuff just outdated?
      2. Maybe my sound settings are terrible? (it does have a mic to auto set up the receiver)

My most important question:
      3. Am I hindering the video quality of the Apple TV 4K or PS4 by running it through the processing of the receiver instead of straight to the tv?

Thanks for any thoughts you can share!
      Buy my wheels! https://bit.ly/359FYt7
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie
      Empathy isn't hard. You don't have to feel what other people feel to be understanding or trust that not everyone has the same perspective.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2005 Jetta Wagon TDI manuel 1.5 Malone, 2014 Tiguan 4MO
      01-29-2019 07:05 PM #2
      So it sounds like you only have the front 3? You should run the 2 back speakers and see how it sounds then.

A soundbar is an upgrade from the tv speakers, but can't replace a 5.1 (front 3, back 2, and sub).

Cars
      1962 Lincoln Continental
      01-30-2019 01:52 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by VWVan View Post
      So it sounds like you only have the front 3? You should run the 2 back speakers and see how it sounds then.

A soundbar is an upgrade from the tv speakers, but can't replace a 5.1 (front 3, back 2, and sub).

Yes, just the front three. We're in a rental now, so the space won't allow rear speakers. However, if we end up buying it, it will.

I guess I was just enamored at the sound coming from the playbar. That and I know my receiver has "upscaling" for lower quality video, so I wanted to make sure it wasn't doing that to the 4K apple tv. It doesnt look like its messing it up, but I'd rather not handcuff myself.
      Empathy isn't hard. You don't have to feel what other people feel to be understanding or trust that not everyone has the same perspective.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      1962 Lincoln Continental
      02-12-2019 09:07 PM #4
      bump

7. Senior Member
      Cars
      KAR 120C
      02-14-2019 11:28 AM #5
      The Paradigms are good speakers, but smallish. Was the Playbar coupled to a sub? The Sonos sub actually gets good reviews, and would make a big difference in overall sound quality.

Even a small sub like the Definitive Supercube would add depth to what you have now.

Your receiver should be receiving signal from the Apple TV via HDMI, including audio, so I don’t think that is the problem (unless the receiver isn’t properly set up-you might try its auto room we feature).

Cars
      1962 Lincoln Continental
      03-05-2019 03:03 PM #6
      Thanks for the input!

I think I'll look to just add a sub. I really wanted to make sure my receiver wasn't messing up the video feed, but the more I read about it, the less I'm worried. What made me worry initially was that it "upscales" lower resolution to a 1080p resolution.