Fourtitude.com - 24V VR6 Eurovan Timing Chains and Sludge
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. 01-20-2019 02:56 PM #1
      Purchased a 2001 EV Westy that had been sitting parked for a few years, original owner had heard a noise he diagnosed as a timing chain and never got around to repair after hearing potential cost.

Should mention this isn't my first Eurovan, but first VR6.

So as not to potentially cause any more damage, I decided to start inspecting engine before trying to start it.

Borescope revealed no signs of contact between valves and pistons, and engine bars over smoothly. Did notice one of the spark plug tube seals had given way and was allowing oil to pool at plug. After pulling valve cover, found significant carbon sludge everywhere. Van does have over 200k, but I have receipts for regular oil changes - van came with about an inch thick service binder.

I am contemplating whether it is worth dropping the transmission to inspect lower timing components (cams appear timed correctly to one another at least) or due to the sludge if it might be worth simply finding another 24v longblock (maybe BDF instead will have had an easier life and less change of sludge) and swapping it in.

Assuming I can find a lower mile longblock for about the same cost as the timing chains and guides - does that make the most sense? It seems like swinging the engine and trans together might be about the same amount of work as tilting the engine while supporting to get the transmission off.

Experience? Opinions?

Last edited by E_Swift; 01-20-2019 at 02:59 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Junior Member
      Cars
      07 Gli Vf rss turbo kit with all the goodies
      02-09-2019 11:36 AM #2
      I'm not sure of your ability. I'm kind of in the same boat. My chains are making noise and I have a exhaust leak. If you've ever looked at the manifolds you know it's probably easier to pull the head. The engine on the eurovan is slightly different because of the bolt pattern. You can make a regular 24v fit I believe you just have to drill a hole. What I'm doing is sending the head off to be built and I'm going to throw rings in my engine and rebuild the transmission. The parts are cheep if you know what your doing and machine work isn't too bad depending on where you live.

4. Member
      Cars
      01 Jetta Wagon 2.0, 02 jetta wagon 2.0(RIP), 03 jetta 1.8T, 01' GLS VR6, 03' GLI VR6
      02-10-2019 07:22 PM #3
      I sure wish someone could post a good timing chain install on the 24v. I recently bought an 03 GLI that had been overheated. I had the head machined, and attempted the re-install myself. With the adjustable timing, I was a little unsure if I was spot on or not. I rotated the engine at least 10 full rotations by hand, but I swear, I think the timing is somehow off. I will not idle on its own, and I can tell something is not right. I have not attempted to tear it back down yet. I have three other mk4's to tinker with. I'll take it on again when it warms up some.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 05-01-2019 12:49 AM #4
      So, past due for an update.

I ended up picking up a used BDF engine to use in case I needed parts.

I swung the Eurovan engine completely out and didn't move the transmission - not to bad once I dedicated a few hours to the task.

I took the head to a local head shop and had new valve seals installed and they put it in their cleaner over the weekend. Looks pretty respectable, considering where it started. I also put all new hydraulic lifters in.

Once the engine was fully torn down, I discovered that the upper tensioner got stuck in the retracted position, but the engine was still - somehow- timed and no evidence of valve to piston contact.

Based on this, I plan to install this head on the BDF block (which was lower miles and I have a video of it idling well before being pulled) and transferring over all the other Eurovan specific parts. Sump, oil pickup, valve cover, accessory bracket, crank pulley, manifolds, fuel rail.

More to come...

Before (no it is not sitting on concrete)

After

7. 07-04-2019 01:40 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk4Mr. View Post
      I sure wish someone could post a good timing chain install on the 24v. I recently bought an 03 GLI that had been overheated. I had the head machined, and attempted the re-install myself. With the adjustable timing, I was a little unsure if I was spot on or not. I rotated the engine at least 10 full rotations by hand, but I swear, I think the timing is somehow off. I will not idle on its own, and I can tell something is not right. I have not attempted to tear it back down yet. I have three other mk4's to tinker with. I'll take it on again when it warms upmy ip birthday wishes tneb some.
      Borescope revealed no signs of contact between valves and pistons, and engine bars over smoothly. Did notice one of the spark plug tube seals had given way and was allowing oil to pool at plug. After pulling valve cover, found significant carbon sludge everywhere. Van does have over 200k, but I have receipts for regular oil changes - van came with about an inch thick service binder.
      Last edited by mopakarim3200; 07-05-2019 at 04:22 PM.

8. 07-07-2019 11:18 PM #6
      I am going to pull engine and trans to check the chains/guides etc. CEL is on. VW mechanic said after diagnosis, chain stretched. Cam timing is off. Mechanic said the job would be $4,000-5,000. Strange. My van idles fine and goes up to 6,000 rpm. There is 177,000 on the clock. While motor is out, going to replace as much as I can. There was obviously an oil leak for many years. Not sure where its coming from. Removed intake manifold today. Found two coil packs with oil on them (see pics) not sure whats normal. Any advice? Intake pipe to air filter was oily as well as the MAF. Valve cover coming off tomorrow. Sure its going to be a sludge fest. PCV hose was really crusty as well (can that be cleaned? Thanks for everyone's help.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182537...posted-public/