Fourtitude.com - The Grand Tour: Season 3 Discussion
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Fourtitude.com


    Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Results 26 to 50 of 452
    1. Member Dawg Dee-Lux's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 16th, 2004
      Location
      Sarpsborg, Norway
      Posts
      10,310
      Cars
      '19 Tesla Model 3P, '16 BMW i3 BEV, '15 BMW i3 BEV
      01-19-2019 10:06 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      You don't even need 4k. There were a few in-car shots where I was just thinking, "Holy **** May has really bad and f'd up teeth. They're brown!"
      Well, he does live in the 50s.

      flick
      r
      | Listen to No Agenda!

      Quote Originally Posted by thisisdog View Post
      The internet has gotten significantly better since Russians started buying video cameras.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Member 88c900t's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 6th, 2014
      Location
      "typical wisconsin rust"
      Posts
      8,825
      Cars
      17 Focus ST2, Mazdaspeed Miata, montego NA8 .
      01-19-2019 10:08 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Dawg Dee-Lux View Post
      Well, he does live in the 50s.
      "You had lead nicked from your roof? Only you could be a victim of a crime from the 1950s!
      I gave up dailing old and rare cars and became a normie.
      Quote Originally Posted by Kiyokix View Post
      I like this guy, I like this guy a lot.
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

    4. Senior Member Silly_me's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 26th, 1999
      Location
      The Blueass State
      Posts
      27,786
      01-19-2019 11:19 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Biff Beltsander View Post
      Promo clips for the episodes later in the season are promising.
      I'm pretty sure I spied a DeTomaso Pantera
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

      Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

    5. I got a poop emoji! CHEVY!! Time for an aSS's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 25th, 2006
      Location
      NH
      Posts
      10,200
      Cars
      17 Chevy SS
      01-19-2019 11:33 AM #29
      The Senna time.
      Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post
      We can not be trusted.

    6. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 13th, 2006
      Location
      Not in Europe. Boo.
      Posts
      22,210
      Cars
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      01-19-2019 05:43 PM #30
      In for later.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.
      Buy my couch!

    7. Member ErikGTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 22nd, 2006
      Location
      VT
      Posts
      1,989
      Cars
      17' Golf Alltrack
      01-19-2019 06:19 PM #31
      Missed the whole Senna piece because I was throwing up due to its sheer ugliness. Nuts car otherwise. Really excited for the Lotus 25 piece we caught a glimpse of in the preview, hopefully it will be as good as last seasons Lancia film.

    8. Member Yuppie Scum's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 23rd, 2014
      Location
      Metro Boston
      Posts
      2,904
      Cars
      2018 Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD
      01-19-2019 06:22 PM #32
      Same old Grand Tour, a little forced but fun and great cinematography. Clarkson is really leaning into the cranky old man bit. He probably doesn't realize how much he has in common with red state America.

    9. Senior Member Sporin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 17th, 1999
      Location
      Vermont, USA
      Posts
      31,969
      Cars
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      01-19-2019 06:40 PM #33
      I forgot this was premiering.

    10. 01-19-2019 08:57 PM #34
      Last edited by chocofrappe55; 01-19-2019 at 09:01 PM.

    11. Member RacingManiac's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 18th, 2011
      Location
      SE Mi and Toronto
      Posts
      7,501
      Cars
      Current: 2018 ABM Civic Type R Was: 2016 NBM PP Golf GTI 6MT, 2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      01-19-2019 09:03 PM #35
      As someone living in the SE Michigan area this episode is pretty terrible. Same old ruin porn that every hipster likes to make(nice he made fun of the hipsters too). Also the fact that they were in the city during the summer while talking about how the place is the motor city and whatnot and did nothing to cover the very much alive and booming car scene with actual race tracks very much in the vicinity is pretty stupid of them.

    12. 01-20-2019 01:45 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
      As someone living in the SE Michigan area this episode is pretty terrible. Same old ruin porn that every hipster likes to make(nice he made fun of the hipsters too). Also the fact that they were in the city during the summer while talking about how the place is the motor city and whatnot and did nothing to cover the very much alive and booming car scene with actual race tracks very much in the vicinity is pretty stupid of them.
      One does not see the high rises and modern city people when they look up Bangkok, Calcutta, or Indonesia... They see prostitutes, slums, or old rainy temples respectively. Never mind that the average someone like you living in those places does not have very much exposure to what the 'media' harps on about.

      Detroit is a beautiful city, much like Moscow, or Beijing, or Capetown. But that's not it's defining characteristics.

    13. Member Meroving1an's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 19th, 2007
      Location
      San Francisco, CA
      Posts
      1,200
      Cars
      Present: 991.1 GT3 Past: ND MX-5, GVB STI
      01-20-2019 02:09 AM #37
      I mostly watch for the still awesome as ever cinematography.

    14. Senior Member Sporin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 17th, 1999
      Location
      Vermont, USA
      Posts
      31,969
      Cars
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      01-20-2019 10:17 AM #38
      I thought it was a good ep, very much in line with the level of entertainment we expect from these guys already.

      Despite the pot belly, dare I say Jeremy looks a little healthier this year? Did he give up the smokes finally?

      I liked the old factory track. That was probably a lot of work to build. You could see multiple sections of new pavement.

      Those 3 cars were fun.

      The Senna may be a speed marvel but boy is it ugly.

    15. Member Meroving1an's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 19th, 2007
      Location
      San Francisco, CA
      Posts
      1,200
      Cars
      Present: 991.1 GT3 Past: ND MX-5, GVB STI
      01-20-2019 11:01 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      Despite the pot belly, dare I say Jeremy looks a little healthier this year? Did he give up the smokes finally?
      I thought so too. In series two he looked downright awful at times, as if he's sick.

    16. Member arethirdytwo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 4th, 2007
      Location
      Austin, TX
      Posts
      5,401
      Cars
      '18 Lexus GX460, '99 4Runner Limited, '07 335i Sedan, '04 R32, '82 300D, '95 Jetta
      01-20-2019 11:07 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
      As someone living in the SE Michigan area this episode is pretty terrible. Same old ruin porn that every hipster likes to make(nice he made fun of the hipsters too). Also the fact that they were in the city during the summer while talking about how the place is the motor city and whatnot and did nothing to cover the very much alive and booming car scene with actual race tracks very much in the vicinity is pretty stupid of them.
      Eh, I was born in Michigan and went to junior high and high school there. People get pretty wrapped around the axle on this topic, but that is just the history of the area. It literally went from the wealthiest large American city to the poorest, in less than 75 years. They never sync up with local car groups so I'm not sure why you expected them to sync up with a Detroit car group?

      It is getting old hearing people complain about ruin porn Don't have ruins adjacent to a major metropolitan city (or recovering) and people won't be so interested in them.

      Have you actually driven through the old neighborhoods? Something tells me you haven't, it is like driving back in time in some areas, we did it 20 years ago in high school, it's not anything new.

    17. Member Tokyosmash's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 10th, 2007
      Location
      Clarksville, Tennessee
      Posts
      3,831
      Cars
      00’ Focus Kona, 03’ Focus SVT, 18’ Expedition Limited, 19’ Royal Enfield
      01-20-2019 11:30 AM #41
      I really liked it, and I guess I’m the only one that loves how the Senna looks

    18. Member fireside's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 23rd, 2008
      Posts
      2,100
      Cars
      14 focus st
      01-20-2019 11:47 AM #42
      I'd say we're off to a great start.

    19. Member 2 doors's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 18th, 2003
      Location
      Baltimore, MD
      Posts
      5,346
      Cars
      '19 Accord EX Hybrid, '16 e-Golf SE, '04 Sequoia SR5, '92 F-250 4X4, '00 GTI 1.8T
      01-20-2019 12:55 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      I liked the old factory track. That was probably a lot of work to build. You could see multiple sections of new pavement.
      GM or the City or whoever owns it now should charge admission for people to drive on it.


      Quote Originally Posted by arethirdytwo View Post
      It is getting old hearing people complain about ruin porn Don't have ruins adjacent to a major metropolitan city (or recovering) and people won't be so interested in them.

      Have you actually driven through the old neighborhoods? Something tells me you haven't, it is like driving back in time in some areas, we did it 20 years ago in high school, it's not anything new.
      Having also recently watched Gymkhana 10 and especially the Amazon show about the making of it, it was kind of disappointing to see a similar thing here as well. I get that they were produced independently, but still. The thought of buying a house for $3000 is interesting though!

    20. Member RacingManiac's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 18th, 2011
      Location
      SE Mi and Toronto
      Posts
      7,501
      Cars
      Current: 2018 ABM Civic Type R Was: 2016 NBM PP Golf GTI 6MT, 2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      01-20-2019 01:06 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by WhatBlueVW View Post
      One does not see the high rises and modern city people when they look up Bangkok, Calcutta, or Indonesia... They see prostitutes, slums, or old rainy temples respectively. Never mind that the average someone like you living in those places does not have very much exposure to what the 'media' harps on about.

      Detroit is a beautiful city, much like Moscow, or Beijing, or Capetown. But that's not it's defining characteristics.
      Quote Originally Posted by arethirdytwo View Post
      Eh, I was born in Michigan and went to junior high and high school there. People get pretty wrapped around the axle on this topic, but that is just the history of the area. It literally went from the wealthiest large American city to the poorest, in less than 75 years. They never sync up with local car groups so I'm not sure why you expected them to sync up with a Detroit car group?

      It is getting old hearing people complain about ruin porn Don't have ruins adjacent to a major metropolitan city (or recovering) and people won't be so interested in them.

      Have you actually driven through the old neighborhoods? Something tells me you haven't, it is like driving back in time in some areas, we did it 20 years ago in high school, it's not anything new.
      The ruins are there, but there are plenty of things that have been WAY better. And I've been coming to the city since 2003 and living in the area since 2008. To still harp on the same old abandon plants and abandon houses thats been around for that long and ignoring(and not just that, actually make fun of) the revived downtown core and the people who are working very hard(the people who actually live here) to try to turn the blighted landscapes into something useful is pretty disingenuous but about right for their MO. They go to plenty of places that are not savory or wealthy and not just harp on the ****ty part of those places. They come to Detroit and all they want talk about is the ****ty old plants and how the city is abandoned and no one is around(pretty untrue there neither). Considering also they are literally within a stones throw away from largely revived downtown and midtown for most of their shots, and that you can clearly see people around there.

      10-15 years is a long ass time to be wrapped around some old ass stereotype of a place. I left Taipei in 1997 and the first time I went back in 2009 it feels like a different place. I live in Toronto for the next 11 years after 1997 and the place changes a lot in the time, and faster now that I left there. The skyline is completely different now compare to when I went to univerity there in early 2000s. Detroit is not like it was back when Clarkson supposedly got held up at Gunpoint back in the days, and all he wants is to look for the ****ty part of what he remembered back.

      Anthony Bourdain's show did a Detroit episode too, and he did his ruin porn as well, but he also showed what his show supposed to, food, from different places, different neighborhood, interacted with people. This is a car show, despite what they might have thought, plenty of car things are around the area, and they touched none of that. Aside from just promoting the same old shtick.

      Also Indonesia is not a city....and if you've been there you'll know it has plenty more than rainy temples....post card tourism is not tourism...
      Last edited by RacingManiac; 01-20-2019 at 01:29 PM.

    21. Senior Member Iroczgirl's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 17th, 2007
      Location
      Bend, OR
      Posts
      33,310
      Cars
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      01-20-2019 02:44 PM #45
      I liked it. But then I seek out desolation.

      Kind of reminds me of Pripyat, but without the deadly radiation. There was one scene that was quite similar to what the School No1 in Pripyat looks like today. Not sure if that was on purpose or not.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

    22. 01-20-2019 03:37 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post

      Also Indonesia is not a city....and if you've been there you'll know it has plenty more than rainy temples....post card tourism is not tourism...
      haha... I was literally closing my eyes and pointing to the map to find places I would mention (and have been to most of these places, but not all). I mentioned Indonesia as a country because from personal experience, when I mention Jakarta to anybody, they have no idea where that is. They're like "Is that in the middle east?" or something like that.

      The things is, I've been to a few places Top Gear and Grand Tour have been filmed and they are cartoon sketches of wherever. You gotta expect that. If it really bothers you, get on some push to fix it. I'm sure somebody somewhere is trying to do something about it, give em some love.

    23. Member 88c900t's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 6th, 2014
      Location
      "typical wisconsin rust"
      Posts
      8,825
      Cars
      17 Focus ST2, Mazdaspeed Miata, montego NA8 .
      01-20-2019 04:07 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      I liked it. But then I seek out desolation.

      Kind of reminds me of Pripyat, but without the deadly radiation. There was one scene that was quite similar to what the School No1 in Pripyat looks like today. Not sure if that was on purpose or not.
      That was a road trip testing a VW UP!, a Fiesta 1.0T and a Dacia 0.9T, with it ending in Chernobyl. Great episode.
      I gave up dailing old and rare cars and became a normie.
      Quote Originally Posted by Kiyokix View Post
      I like this guy, I like this guy a lot.
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

    24. Member RacingManiac's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 18th, 2011
      Location
      SE Mi and Toronto
      Posts
      7,501
      Cars
      Current: 2018 ABM Civic Type R Was: 2016 NBM PP Golf GTI 6MT, 2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      01-20-2019 05:04 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by WhatBlueVW View Post
      haha... I was literally closing my eyes and pointing to the map to find places I would mention (and have been to most of these places, but not all). I mentioned Indonesia as a country because from personal experience, when I mention Jakarta to anybody, they have no idea where that is. They're like "Is that in the middle east?" or something like that.

      The things is, I've been to a few places Top Gear and Grand Tour have been filmed and they are cartoon sketches of wherever. You gotta expect that. If it really bothers you, get on some push to fix it. I'm sure somebody somewhere is trying to do something about it, give em some love.


      I still have relatives in Jakarta and I visited Indonesia many times since I was like 3 years old(mostly just Java, Bali and Lombok).

      I mean I get that its their thing, but they can and have done different in the past. The old TG Vietnam stuff or their African episodes very much I think showed positives of places where people who don't know might learn some cool new things about those area. Whereas this is just reinforcing the same old stereotypes. Like literally everytime I told my friend I live in Detroit area they ask if its safe or like its run down everywhere. And to tell you the truth thats what I thought when I moved here too 10 years ago. People will never know if the place is improving if they just keep seeing stuff like this over and over...

    25. Member mhjett's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 16th, 2000
      Location
      Grand Rapids, MI
      Posts
      9,584
      Cars
      2018 VW Atlas SEL 4Motion R-Line 3.6, 2008 VW Jetta SE 2.5
      01-20-2019 07:28 PM #49
      I really enjoyed the mockery of hipster vegetablists.

    26. Senior Member Sporin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 17th, 1999
      Location
      Vermont, USA
      Posts
      31,969
      Cars
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      01-20-2019 07:43 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post


      I still have relatives in Jakarta and I visited Indonesia many times since I was like 3 years old(mostly just Java, Bali and Lombok).

      I mean I get that its their thing, but they can and have done different in the past. The old TG Vietnam stuff or their African episodes very much I think showed positives of places where people who don't know might learn some cool new things about those area. Whereas this is just reinforcing the same old stereotypes. Like literally everytime I told my friend I live in Detroit area they ask if its safe or like its run down everywhere. And to tell you the truth thats what I thought when I moved here too 10 years ago. People will never know if the place is improving if they just keep seeing stuff like this over and over...
      This was Anthony Bourdain’s thing, not Top Gear/Grand Tour’s thing.

      I get it, no one wants to see their home misrepresented, I sympathize.

      You’re just expecting too much from these 3 in that way.

      IMO

    Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •