Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast
    1. Senior Member
      Cars
      KAR 120C
      04-12-2019 01:51 PM #376
      I thought that last episode was one of the best they've done, because it really explains each of their personal connections to cars from a young age...but also how one car make/model can have such a profound impact on a nation. (I had no idea the Cortina had been the F-150 of Britain back in its day.)

I'd obviously known that the show wasn't continuing with its current format, but seeing Clarkson tear up was surprising. I'll be curious to see how the new format works for them.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      e92, LS1 S30, mk2 GTi vr6
      04-12-2019 03:42 PM #377
      RIP

though i am very excited they're moving to a "Specials/roadtrip" format in the future

4. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Cars
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      04-12-2019 11:22 PM #378
      For those who really want to understand company car culture in GB, check out this documentary from 1993. It's so relevant to the last episode I'd call this required viewing.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

5. 04-13-2019 01:41 AM #379
      I guess it doesn't help that the current Fusion/Mondeo looks a bit drab - Mulally wants it to look like a Boeing lols.

Cars
      Six Speed Earth Dreamer
      04-13-2019 04:52 AM #380
      Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      For those who really want to understand company car culture in GB, check out this documentary from 1993. It's so relevant to the last episode I'd call this required viewing.

Nice, this is exactly what I was thinking about during the segment where company cars were mentioned.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      You are in the land of rust and honey.

Cars
      15 Rav4
      04-13-2019 09:09 AM #381
      Hammond destroying the Allegro was pretty bad. It looked like that car was a survivor, and didn't deserve the beating.
      Same for the Toyota Picnic.

Was the tent and studio audience that much of a problem to abandon them??
      I'll miss conversation street, and the track timing.

That Sierra Cossie did pretty well around the track, considering it's age.

The Cortina looked a bit like the Ford Falcon in later years. Were they related?
      test test Maki says "hello"

Cars
      2015 Passat "Limited Edition"
      04-13-2019 09:17 AM #382
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      Hammond destroying the Allegro was pretty bad. It looked like that car was a survivor, and didn't deserve the beating.
      Same for the Toyota Picnic.

Was the tent and studio audience that much of a problem to abandon them??
      I'll miss conversation street, and the track timing.

That Sierra Cossie did pretty well around the track, considering it's age.

The Cortina looked a bit like the Ford Falcon in later years. Were they related?
      The tent added a layer of complexity to the production that few really enjoyed. They tried to do some of the TG bits without copying TG and it really didn't work. I too liked Conversation Street but it's a 4 minute segment. The money spent on the tent will now be used to create even better travel segments.

04-13-2019 10:25 AM #383
      They can also do a conversation street type segment wherever they are in their travels, which may make it even better. It's not like there is any type of overhead for them to sit around and bull**** for a few minutes. It can be done over food and drinks and in an impromptu manner.

10. 04-13-2019 11:00 AM #384
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboREX View Post
      RIP

though i am very excited they're moving to a "Specials/roadtrip" format in the future
      Me too. I like watching them but regular episodes are hardly exciting, if they put some other presenters saying the same lines and making the same faces I'd turn it off within the first 2 minutes. It's their faces that keeps me watching not the actual material in those episodes, I don't care about them much. It's great that they are moving on to "specials" only. But I wonder if the number of episodes will be significantly reduced per year.

Still, I'll take 5-6 specials over 14 regular episodes all day every day.

11. Afraid of boobatars RAVatar's Avatar
      Cars
      '13 Ferrari 458 Italia Size: XS
      04-13-2019 08:12 PM #385
      The Mondeo ST Estate at the end of that really hit me directly in the nerves. When they pulled up to the cathedral claiming to be there for a funeral, I was going to lose my isht if anything happened to that Estate.

The first sporty (relatively speaking) car that I can remember in our family was my dad's 1999 Ford Contour Sport V6. I learned to drive in it, I watched him beaming while signing the paperwork for it because it was the first time in his life that he could afford a trim level that wasn't a base model. He got it brand new with 4 miles on it. Four. I was twelve years old at the time. The way it handled and sounded is what I imagine a lot of British people felt when they got their first chance at a Cortina GXL or 1500E or something similar.

Fast forward years later, I was in a pinch between a totalled car and needing wheels fast. An old buddy of mine put me in touch with a friend of his in Jacksonville and I ended up buying his 1999 Toreador Red Contour SVT. Same year as my dad's. It was sixteen years old at the time but somehow had less than 90K miles on it.

It wasn't a very good car. It needed a lot of little things and the infamous pain in the ass alternator job. But it was a ton of fun to drive, cheap to purchase and the uncorked Duratec sounded absolutely glorious. Almost Aston Martin like.

In ways, it reminds me of my fanaticism for the Fiat 500 Abarth. It isn't a very good car on paper but it just makes you smile a whole bunch.
      Off Topikstan CSB Thread, First Responder (c) 2013
      IG - the_cama_lens
      OG:SAV912
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist
      The forks I grew up eating with only had 3 prongs. This is probably why I'm so miserable and angry all the time.

Cars
      Hopes and Dreams
      04-13-2019 09:02 PM #386
      I went down to a pull your own parts junkyard a year or two ago and walked past the Ford section. Lets just say the last time I've seen that many contours lined up next to each other was at the dealership. They may have sold a bunch but wow they sure didnt last.

Cars
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      04-14-2019 09:38 AM #387
      Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post

When we were watching last night this BBC docu immediately came to mind. I had to explain to my wife how serious business car trim levels were at the time in Britain.
      iain

Cars
      E39 M5 | 987.2
      04-14-2019 03:05 PM #388
      Not sure if Hammond and May weren't as emotional or if they were better at hiding it.

Jeremy has always been the primary speaker though, so it makes sense he'd miss the current format the most.

15. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      04-14-2019 05:42 PM #389
      That was rather enjoyable. I’ve always wanted a Lotus Cortina so it was nice to see one getting the screws put to it.

Emotional Clarkson got me in the feels. Hard to believe I’ve been watching these guys since Sophomore year of college.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

Cars
      17 Focus ST2, 90 RX7 vert, Accord 6-6 sedan, 96 Montego blue Miata.
      04-14-2019 05:44 PM #390
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post

Emotional Clarkson got me in the feels. Hard to believe I’ve been watching these guys since Sophomore year of college.
      You must be old.

I've been watching them since I was 15.
      Typical forum guy with busted third-hand cars.
      Quote Originally Posted by Kiyokix View Post
      I like this guy, I like this guy a lot.
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

Cars
      2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport
      04-14-2019 05:49 PM #391
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      That was rather enjoyable. I’ve always wanted a Lotus Cortina so it was nice to see one getting the screws put to it.

I've been watching some of the earlier Top Gear episodes lately.

It never stood out to me just how much older they've gotten until watching The Grand Tour after viewing those.
      The taxes...the finger thing means the taxes.

18. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Cars
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      04-14-2019 10:19 PM #392
      Quote Originally Posted by 88c900t View Post
      You must be old.

I've been watching them since I was 15.
      You must be older.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.
      Buy my couch!

Cars
      02 BMW 325I 5spd/ 97 Jetta/ 2012 Acura TSX wagon / 2000 BMW 323I 5spd
      04-14-2019 10:24 PM #393
      Best part of the show was the ending with Derek and the Dominoes

I want it played on my funeral
      Last edited by gonzo08452; 04-14-2019 at 10:35 PM.

20. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      04-14-2019 10:33 PM #394
      Quote Originally Posted by LT1M21Stingray View Post
      You must be older.
      I was 19 when I was a sophomore in college. My name is Brendan, not Doogie Howser MD.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

Cars
      Various POSes in good mechanical condition
      04-14-2019 10:45 PM #395
      Never cared much for the Mundaneo. Not even the Contour SVT one.
      "No manual, no care."

Quote Originally Posted by davewg View Post
      It wasn't just about the top of the dash. Or stroking it. It was just the overall feel inside the cabin. Everything was fine until you looked at the dashboard.

22. Member Disgruntled Ziemniak's Avatar
      Cars
      337 GTI
      04-14-2019 10:53 PM #396
      Quote Originally Posted by VarianceVQ View Post
      I've been watching some of the earlier Top Gear episodes lately.

It never stood out to me just how much older they've gotten until watching The Grand Tour after viewing those.
      circa late 1980's

Your favorite Ziemniak, hold the gravy.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sterling Archer
      "Seriously? Are we not doing phrasing anymore?"
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      "Triple Dog Dare You" has been replaced with "I'm going to butt-f**k your mom right in the ass cooch."
      Because kids are dumb.

Cars
      17 Focus ST2, 90 RX7 vert, Accord 6-6 sedan, 96 Montego blue Miata.
      04-15-2019 07:19 AM #397
      Quote Originally Posted by LT1M21Stingray View Post
      You must be older.
      I didn't say I started watching at launch, though
      Typical forum guy with busted third-hand cars.
      Quote Originally Posted by Kiyokix View Post
      I like this guy, I like this guy a lot.
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

Cars
      Manual Avant
      04-15-2019 05:00 PM #398
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      I thought that last episode was one of the best they've done, because it really explains each of their personal connections to cars from a young age...but also how one car make/model can have such a profound impact on a nation. (I had no idea the Cortina had been the F-150 of Britain back in its day.)

I'd obviously known that the show wasn't continuing with its current format, but seeing Clarkson tear up was surprising. I'll be curious to see how the new format works for them.
      Its not surprising to me that he cried. Whats also funny is that I always lived for the challenges in top gear and the grand tour, and when he started crying, I actually remembered there were so many other parts of both shows that I loved. Clarkson also elaborated on another show later about his emotions. essentially he said that because he never got to say goodbye to top gear, and the end was so sudden that, this was in essence his send off. Clarkson has never been one for emotion, but this actually seemed very real. As much as he didn't want to admit it, losing top gear and the BBC had to be very hard on him. Additionally I think its probably hard for all of them to change the show format now when it just seems to be hitting its stride.

I dont think many people realize how much of an impact the trio has had on popular culture. The trio along with andy wilman, is almost single handedly responsible for the multitude of current car youtube stars, as well as the success of some network TV shows. I was watching "aging wheels" on youtube last night and loved every minute, but the similarity to the Top Gear that JC and Wilman created is undeniable.

IMO what sucks for everyone right now is that they are not ready to give up on the concept that they created, but youtube stars are already taking over their market. Sure they dont have the budget to do long road trips, but they can buy cheap cars, fix, them, etc. Not only that but the production values of some youtubers are now better than some early top gear episodes. I think its wrong to say that the trio are dinosaurs and their time has past, but its coming close. I'm sure next season will be amazing, but short. And I think thats the real reason Clarkson was crying. In his heart he knew the end of the studio audience was the end of the show, even if they have another season or two.

At least to me, this is sad. I hated the first season of the grand tour. It reeked of legalize of what they couldn't do because of top gear contracts. However, the talent that clarkson, hammond, and may, have to create a nonsensical car program is undeniable. For the next season, as much as I like the challenges I feel like it wont be enough to keep the franchise going.

Cars
      Manual Avant
      04-15-2019 05:05 PM #399
      Quote Originally Posted by RAVatar View Post
      The Mondeo ST Estate at the end of that really hit me directly in the nerves. When they pulled up to the cathedral claiming to be there for a funeral, I was going to lose my isht if anything happened to that Estate.
      The part about the ST200 estate got me too, because at least here in the USA, Its the car that got me into sport sedans, and honestly really into cars. I didnt even own one, but instead got a Jetta VR6 that is the reason I'm on here, but I still LOVED the contour SVT. A friend had one too, and he KILLED me everytime we were at a stoplight, even if I had a nicer interior. Whats crazy is that, this is almost 20 years ago now. Damn how time flies.

Cars
      M44/40F20CS65
      04-15-2019 06:52 PM #400
      Quote Originally Posted by Jettavr666 View Post
      Its not surprising to me that he cried. Whats also funny is that I always lived for the challenges in top gear and the grand tour, and when he started crying, I actually remembered there were so many other parts of both shows that I loved.......
      All of what you said is true, and very well said! Couldn't agree more.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast