Fourtitude.com - Capable Luxurious SUVs?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
      Cars
      16v I4, Turbocharged V6, Gas drinking V8, High revving V10
      01-14-2019 11:28 PM #76
      Its put on there at the factory.
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      01-15-2019 12:27 AM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post
      Its put on there at the factory.
      Instagram - efrie004

4. Member
      Cars
      17 CX-5 GT, 11 Durango Hemi, 07 Airstream
      01-15-2019 09:10 AM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by PeanutGallery View Post
      I’ve always disliked the shift programming in my 5AT...my right foot and its brain don’t get along very well apparently. At part throttle, low speed, on an incline I generally either get a little less or way more acceleration than I want, the latter preceded by a very aggressive downshift. I think the 8ATs are much better, based on limited test drives and a lot of reading on the subject...but I could be wrong.
      IIRC, you have a 6AT - the 5AT was a one-year-special in the WD and WK2. I'm just amazed that I haven't blown the transmission apart, given the towing that I do, but I'm told they are surprisingly robust for a FCA tranny.

By comparison, the ZF 8AT is a revelation in shift quality and performance; it makes the Hemi feel a lot quicker, and cuts a solid second from the 0-60 time. I've towed my trailer with both my Durango and a 2014 Hemi/8AT; it's SO MUCH EASIER with the 8AT.

As others have said, I really like both the Durango and the Grand Cherokee. Despite my experience, I thought long and hard about buying another one.

Tom

Cars
      an SUV, a car, and an old truck
      01-15-2019 12:11 PM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
      IIRC, you have a 6AT - the 5AT was a one-year-special in the WD and WK2. I'm just amazed that I haven't blown the transmission apart, given the towing that I do, but I'm told they are surprisingly robust for a FCA tranny.

By comparison, the ZF 8AT is a revelation in shift quality and performance; it makes the Hemi feel a lot quicker, and cuts a solid second from the 0-60 time. I've towed my trailer with both my Durango and a 2014 Hemi/8AT; it's SO MUCH EASIER with the 8AT.

As others have said, I really like both the Durango and the Grand Cherokee. Despite my experience, I thought long and hard about buying another one.

Tom
      I think you're correct re: 5AT vs. 6AT. I was thinking 6 but didn't realize there were actually 3 different options during the model life...

re: 8AT impressions--that's good to hear, especially from someone with experience in both older and newer versions of the platform. I've been seriously thinking about trading mine on a '19 R/T, both because of and in spite of my current one...which sounds about like the same mindset you've had.
      --------
      blake
      2019 Honda Civic Si sedan
      2017 Mercedes-Benz GLS 450
      1962 Chevrolet C10 fleetside

6. Member
      Cars
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      01-15-2019 12:25 PM #80
      SoI am falling down the rabbit hole again..... Here I go. (copied from OT)

With the Heep failing emissions, I am not sure I want to keep putting money into it. It has been a perfect side car for us over the last year. It was cheap, it runs well, it just is starting to really show its age and at this point it is 17 years old. In thinking of what I would want to replace it with, I want ot stay in the "Rugged" SUV area but would like a lot more of the niceties I am used to. I keep coming back to late model Lexus SUVs. Either a 2010ish LX570 or 2012ish GX460. the GX is wildly inexpensive for what you get. a 2012 with 85k with every and all lux bits I would want seems to hover right around 20K. The LX is about 10K more for a car that is a few years older with 40% more miles, but seemingly will hold its value more.

What does TCL think of my stupidity? Any other suggestions other than a 4runner? I would still like to be able to take it down to a Cabin Fest or go camping so something that is capable is important, but like I said, I would like to have more of the niceties.
      ANd... how rough are the roads leading to such places? What are they, dirt roads? Gravel roads? Are you expecting to drive on a trail that requires a lot of suspension articulation and ground clearance to get to the site?
      Quote Originally Posted by Jezza
      Power and Speed solves many things
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      APR Stage 1/DDM Tuning Ultra HID 5500K/Neuspeed P-flo/AEM Dryflow BruteForce filter

7. Member
      Cars
      01-15-2019 12:27 PM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by PeanutGallery View Post
      I've been seriously thinking about trading mine on a '19 R/T, both because of and in spite of my current one...which sounds about like the same mindset you've had.
      Yep. I went and test-drove a 19 R/T. The steering isn't hydraulic anymore (that changed in 16 on the Hemis, IIRC) but is still pretty good. The interior upgrades, like a chunkier steering wheel and the latest Uconnect, are nice. I also love the integrated trailer brake controller. There's also a bit more Hemi rumble.

But I'm irked that I can't get a surround-view system. I wouldn't mind something that's a touch shorter. I wouldn't mind getting more than 17-18 mpg on average. The Explorer Hybrid is looking really good to me right now, even though it gives up some towing capacity.

There's also The Wife Factor. She rather likes her current Durango. But when she saw my brother-in-laws' SRT, she hated it. "What's with all of the scoops and holes on the hood?" Since the R/T has that same hood now, we'd have to get a Citadel, which gives up some handling.

I'm probably going to wind up with a Palisade or Telluride, and just live with less towing torque.

Tom

Cars
      01-15-2019 12:37 PM #82
      Quote Originally Posted by BsickPassat View Post
      ANd... how rough are the roads leading to such places? What are they, dirt roads? Gravel roads? Are you expecting to drive on a trail that requires a lot of suspension articulation and ground clearance to get to the site?
      Roads will vary. Mainly dirt and gravel, and occasionally rocky trail. As an example from CF18 this past year in the WJ...
      Untitled by smooremin, on Flickr
      CabinFest'18.4 by smooremin, on Flickr
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.

9. ***** (Cat) Lover Pizza Cat!!!!'s Avatar
      Cars
      North American German crap and German German crap
      01-15-2019 12:54 PM #83

SS registry owner-emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Dubber-GLI View Post
      NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

Cars
      01-15-2019 12:58 PM #84
      Pretty sure I am going to place a bid on this 2014 Overland today.
      (sorry for the crap pics, the auction house uses a potato...)

Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 10.56.46 by smooremin, on Flickr

Has every option I wanted. Off road adventure pack 2, Advanced tech, Hemi and the added bonus of TVs taht will never, once, get used.

Lets see how it goes...

Blog Entries
      Cars
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      01-15-2019 01:12 PM #85
      Looks to be in great condition, with some nice options. Good luck with the bidding!

Cars
      an SUV, a car, and an old truck
      01-15-2019 02:53 PM #86
      Quote Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
      Yep. I went and test-drove a 19 R/T. The steering isn't hydraulic anymore (that changed in 16 on the Hemis, IIRC) but is still pretty good. The interior upgrades, like a chunkier steering wheel and the latest Uconnect, are nice. I also love the integrated trailer brake controller. There's also a bit more Hemi rumble.

But I'm irked that I can't get a surround-view system. I wouldn't mind something that's a touch shorter. I wouldn't mind getting more than 17-18 mpg on average. The Explorer Hybrid is looking really good to me right now, even though it gives up some towing capacity.

There's also The Wife Factor. She rather likes her current Durango. But when she saw my brother-in-laws' SRT, she hated it. "What's with all of the scoops and holes on the hood?" Since the R/T has that same hood now, we'd have to get a Citadel, which gives up some handling.

I'm probably going to wind up with a Palisade or Telluride, and just live with less towing torque.

Tom
      Didn't know about the steering change...hmm. Such is life I suppose. I like the ability to spec the upgraded HK stereo and the trailer brake controller with the '19s, and I need the roof rails that they finally started offering on the R/T last year. I'm ambivalent on the stitched dash option but glad they offer some upgrades there.

The Durango is kind of a minimum size for me, rather than maximum...with 3 kids that don't play nicely in a single row, I'm limited to SUVs with habitable 3rd rows and I have a strong preference for quad seating with center aisle. These days the options are limited for that configuration--the new Explorer is definitely on my radar if I'm willing to wait that long. I'm also keeping my eyes out for a good deal on a very slightly used Suburban or Yukon XL, but finding one with the right options and right price is proving a bit difficult. Maybe as we get closer to the launch of the GM redesign...
      --------
      blake
      2019 Honda Civic Si sedan
      2017 Mercedes-Benz GLS 450
      1962 Chevrolet C10 fleetside

Cars
      01-15-2019 03:18 PM #87
      I would consider a Durnago, but I dont think its nearly as capable offroad compared to JGC or to the GX/LX/4Runner

14. Member
      Cars
      14 Toyota 4Runner, 05 Lexus GX470, 79 IH Scout II
      01-15-2019 03:20 PM #88
      There is no way I'd buy a FCA over a Toyota product, zero chance.

I've owned a FJC, LX450 (80 series Land Cruiser), 5th gen 4Runner and a GX470 (120 series Land Cruiser). I have plenty of seat time in a LX470 (100 series Land Cruiser) and a GX460 as well. Spent a little bit of time in a LX570 (200 series LC).

I'll never buy a Toyota truck with the antiquated V6 again, it pains me every time I get out of my GX470 to drive my wife's 4R. While not the same engine, the 6 in my LX450 is what made me get rid of it, I should have just kept it and swapped a LS in.

I can't recommend the GX460 enough. It takes all the things I love about my 5th gen 4Runner and merges it with all the things I love about my GX470. I've been tempted to dump the 4R for a GX460 many times over the last 2 years.

While I love the 200 series, it's definitely a big truck and it's expensive. Then again the service life is unmatched and the resale value will be fantastic when you want to get rid of it.

Cars
      01-15-2019 05:54 PM #89
      Lets see how it goes...
      Well. Its official. I am a new owner of an Overland

01-15-2019 06:26 PM #90
      Congrats! Enjoy the ride.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

17. ***** (Cat) Lover Pizza Cat!!!!'s Avatar
      Cars
      North American German crap and German German crap
      01-15-2019 06:28 PM #91
      Sheeeeeet
      SS registry owner-emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Dubber-GLI View Post
      NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

18. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      01-15-2019 06:37 PM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Cat!!!! View Post
      Sheeeeeet
      Instagram - efrie004

I'm a little upset about a bad sexual episode I had last night.
      Cars
      2015 Forester, 2006 CR-V
      01-15-2019 06:41 PM #93
      Congrats!

Lower it!

....er wait, I mean LIFT IT!

...or something.

Hell I don't know. Use it to tow the R8 to the car wash?
      A loving welcome from TCL

Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Life is way more fun with people you enjoy being around.

Cars
      01-15-2019 06:46 PM #94
      Thanks errybody.

I have to say I am excited. It will be nice to have a car that is an actual color, including the interior. Also, itll be nice to have the niceties again. Just reconfimed the extended warranty. 4/48k b2b, with a 100 deduct, 895 bucks

First order of business, when it gets here, take off those god forsaken running boards.

21. Member
      Cars
      2015 GMC Sierra, '98 5.3L Wrangler, '01 International 4700, too many trailers
      01-15-2019 07:23 PM #95
      Sweet. I hope you never have to call chrysler cares. Needs a tekonsha P3 and some "real" tires...

Cars
      01-15-2019 07:34 PM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by Gitcha Sum View Post
      Sweet. I hope you never have to call chrysler cares. Needs a tekonsha P3 and some "real" tires...
      Thanks bud.

Duratracs are in the plans, but probably not until the summerish. We shall see...

23. Member
      Cars
      01-15-2019 07:56 PM #97
      That was quick! Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Gitcha Sum View Post
      Needs a tekonsha P3 and some "real" tires...
      I'm very fond of my Tuson DirecLinc brake controller. Plugs into the factory underdash brake controller connector and OBD2 port rather than using an integral accelerometer, so trailer braking is smoother. Also, no need to drill into the dash.

EDIT: Does the Overland come standard with the factory tow group (which has that underdash connector)? I see the hitch in the pics, but don't know if the rest of the towing package is there.

Anywho, I LOVE that interior color combo. Swanky!

Tom
      Last edited by mutcth; 01-15-2019 at 08:23 PM.

Cars
      2005 Corvette Z71, 1998 Corvette
      01-15-2019 08:11 PM #98
      I love the exterior/interior combo
      Instagram: calederoo

#FREEPATRIKMAN

Cars
      01-15-2019 08:19 PM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by CaleDeRoo View Post
      I love the exterior/interior combo
      Thanks.

Thats what really drove me to get this one. And I feel that I got a good deal on it based on what else is out there for similar miles.

I'm a little upset about a bad sexual episode I had last night.
      Cars
      2015 Forester, 2006 CR-V
      01-15-2019 08:45 PM #100
      I just giggle about it since my coworker paid dealership sucker pricing for his when he bought new. Bragged about his note being low after he did a 30k down payment.
      A loving welcome from TCL

Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Life is way more fun with people you enjoy being around.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast