Fourtitude.com - Capable Luxurious SUVs?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
      Blog Entries
      Cars
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      11-08-2019 10:24 AM #251
      Quote Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post

As you can see, it is pretty bad as it is, and if it does not get fixed, I have read, that it will eventually start blocking the defrost vents from defrosting the windshield making it impossible to see out of.

So we shall see
      Yup, I have definitely read about this on the GC forums. Seems to be really hit or miss regarding the extent of support fca will provide. Good luck! I wonder what it would cost to repair the dash on a gc with the upgraded leather interior?

On a related note, I have heard the same rumor several times that jeep used a different adhesive on the dash in '18s and newer. We shall see. Supposedly the CF trim on the srt starts to peel off the various interior panels over time as well. Good times.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      11-08-2019 10:43 AM #252
      Quote Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
      Yeah, aside from adding the brake controller to this, I don't plan on much.

I did spend a few hours yesterday de-crumbing the interior and conditioning the materials. And then took it out for pics:

Moar: https://www.zacharyrepp.com/Automoti...ights/Big-Red/
      Looking really sharp!

4. ***** (Cat) Lover Pizza Cat!!!!'s Avatar
      Cars
      North American German crap and German German crap
      11-08-2019 11:06 AM #253
      Dash bucking from its adhesive? Ah, like the C5 Audi. Such prestige
      SS registry owner-emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Dubber-GLI View Post
      NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

Cars
      2018 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
      11-08-2019 11:11 AM #254
      As you can see, it is pretty bad as it is, and if it does not get fixed, I have read, that it will eventually start blocking the defrost vents from defrosting the windshield making it impossible to see out of.

So we shall see
      If you don't hear back from them quickly, tweet at them. They respond ridiculously fast on twitter. Good luck!

Yeah, aside from adding the brake controller to this, I don't plan on much.

I did spend a few hours yesterday de-crumbing the interior and conditioning the materials. And then took it out for pics:
      That looks fantastic, I love that red.

6. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      11-08-2019 11:30 AM #255
      Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Cat!!!! View Post
      Dash bucking from its adhesive? Ah, like the C5 Audi. Such prestige
      Gotta keep that soul alive, even when you're not driving an Audi.
      Instagram - efrie004

11-08-2019 11:31 AM #256
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      Yup, I have definitely read about this on the GC forums. Seems to be really hit or miss regarding the extent of support fca will provide. Good luck! I wonder what it would cost to repair the dash on a gc with the upgraded leather interior?

On a related note, I have heard the same rumor several times that jeep used a different adhesive on the dash in '18s and newer. We shall see. Supposedly the CF trim on the srt starts to peel off the various interior panels over time as well. Good times.
      Funny, I distinctly remember this happening to my grandma's Porsche 996 cab. All of the dash leather wilted and the carbon fiber trim curled up in the corners.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Cars
      Several.
      11-08-2019 11:31 AM #257
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      Looking really sharp!
      Quote Originally Posted by ant the ninja View Post

That looks fantastic, I love that red.
      Same. I'm loving it. My big red kampfy kouch with meat heaters and koolers.

Untitled by smooremin, on Flickr

So we shall see

11-08-2019 11:41 AM #258
      Same. I'm loving it. My big red kampfy kouch with meat heaters and koolers.

It happens to Porsches too. Crazy automakers haven't figured out how to handle this yet.

Cayenne:
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

10. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      11-08-2019 11:50 AM #259
      In GM GMT900 trucks (Tahoes, Yukons, Suburbans, Trucks) it's super common, and expected, for the dash to just crack. The parts aren't terribly expensive but the labor is, and it's a hell of a job to take on by yourself. There is no revised part for it either, if you pay a dealership to fix it chances are within 2-3 years it'll be cracked again.

It's a bit of a catch 22. It's difficult to sell them with a cracked dash and get full asking price, because it's unsightly. But if you pay for it to get fixed, is it worth it? I was quoted $2,300 to have it fixed at the dealership, that included the new dash. I never had it fixed.

Also, this is just a picture from Google Search. This example is pretty bad as it's actually falling apart, usually it's just cracks going all over the place.

Last edited by Cabin Pics; 11-08-2019 at 11:53 AM.
      Instagram - efrie004

Cars
      Several.
      11-08-2019 12:38 PM #260
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      In GM GMT900 trucks (Tahoes, Yukons, Suburbans, Trucks) it's super common, and expected, for the dash to just crack. The parts aren't terribly expensive but the labor is, and it's a hell of a job to take on by yourself. There is no revised part for it either, if you pay a dealership to fix it chances are within 2-3 years it'll be cracked again.

It's a bit of a catch 22. It's difficult to sell them with a cracked dash and get full asking price, because it's unsightly. But if you pay for it to get fixed, is it worth it? I was quoted $2,300 to have it fixed at the dealership, that included the new dash. I never had it fixed.

Also, this is just a picture from Google Search. This example is pretty bad as it's actually falling apart, usually it's just cracks going all over the place.

Everyone wants squishy dashes, but nobody thinks of the consequences.

12. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      11-08-2019 12:47 PM #261
      Everyone wants squishy dashes, but nobody thinks of the consequences.
      GM took a hard pass on the dash in the GMT900. It's hard as hell from the get-go, which then becomes brittle and just evaporates away into oblivion after a few years.
      Instagram - efrie004

13. Member
      Cars
      17 CX-5 GT, 11 Durango Hemi, 07 Airstream
      11-08-2019 01:08 PM #262
      Just to add a cautionary tale about long-term WK2 ownership, based on my 2011 WD Durango:

My car is at the dealership today, getting a new thermostat at 106k. Here's the list of components replaced over the car's life (it was in CR's fleet before I bought it):

- Thermostat
      - Shocks (including the $$$ auto-leveling rear ones)
      - Driver's side seat heater element
      - Exhaust manifold bolt (common on Hemis)
      - Exhaust pipe gasket, causing a jet of exhaust to burn through the plastic surrounding the spare
      - Two driveshaft replacements to fix vibrations (20k and 40k)
      - Radiator at 60k
      - Some sensor that tripped a CEL
      - MyGIG head unit
      - So many recalls - integrated power module upgrade, sun visors (that cause fire!), sun visors again

It's never stranded me, all of the ADAS stuff works (FCW, blind spot, ACC), and it still looks almost like new, save for bleached window sill trim. But man, this seems like a long list.

Tom

Cars
      Several.
      11-08-2019 01:13 PM #263
      Quote Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
      Just to add a cautionary tale about long-term WK2 ownership, based on my 2011 WD Durango:

My car is at the dealership today, getting a new thermostat at 106k. Here's the list of components replaced over the car's life (it was in CR's fleet before I bought it):

- Thermostat
      - Exhaust pipe gasket, causing a jet of exhaust to burn through the plastic surrounding the spare
      - Radiator at 60k
      - MyGIG head unit
      - So many recalls - integrated power module upgrade, sun visors (that cause fire!), sun visors again

It's never stranded me, all of the ADAS stuff works (FCW, blind spot, ACC), and it still looks almost like new, save for bleached window sill trim. But man, this seems like a long list.

Tom
      It'll be a miracle if I keep anything beyond 18 months.

It's a sickness. Hoping the WK2 is the jack of all trades I've been looking for, and if so - I'll probably buy a service contract through myself at work.

Cars
      16v I4, Turbocharged V6, Gas drinking V8, High revving V10
      11-08-2019 01:20 PM #264
      , and if so - I'll probably buy a service contract through myself at work.
      They are super cheap man. I couldn't believe what I paid for mine.

Thanks for the suggestion on Twitter, My lady is all over that world so if I dont get anything back today, I will have jump on it.
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

11-08-2019 01:22 PM #265

- Thermostat
      - Radiator at 60k
      - MyGIG head unit

Tom
      I actually don't think that's a long list at all for an 8 year old, first model year FCA product.

Cars
      11-08-2019 01:29 PM #266
      Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      I actually don't think that's a long list at all for an 8 year old, first model year FCA product.
      I actually agree. And a lot of that are known issues, ie, water pumps on the 5.7s and manifold bolts.
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.

18. Member
      Cars
      11-08-2019 03:02 PM #267
      Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      LOL! I knew going in that this thing was a crap shoot, in more ways than one.

But now that I'm in the market again, I want something that was more like my near-problem-free 2005 Odyssey than this Durango. (I'm confident that I won't achieve that tho, given that the front-runner is a 2020 X5.)

Tom

11-08-2019 03:13 PM #268

But now that I'm in the market again, I want something that was more like my near-problem-free 2005 Odyssey than this Durango. (I'm confident that I won't achieve that tho, given that the front-runner is a 2020 X5.)

Tom
      Hmm, I would think not. The X5 seems to be having a healthy amount of teething issues from what I've seen on the forums. Great vehicle though, just wish they would've done more with the rear.

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      11-08-2019 03:33 PM #269

Tom
      Isn't an X5 likely to have all the quality/reliability issues of an FCA without the low cost to repair them?
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

21. Member
      Cars
      11-08-2019 03:56 PM #270
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      Isn't an X5 likely to have all the quality/reliability issues of an FCA without the low cost to repair them?
      Statistically, the BMW is better than the Durango - but you're sure right about the cost of repair. I might also go for a CPO F15, with the warranty extended as far as possible.

Also, we've decided that we want some tech features - HUD, surround-view, pedestrian detection - that are missing in the FCA products. If the Q7 had a spare tire (I tow a lot in less-populated places), an Audi would be a done deal.

Tom

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      11-08-2019 04:47 PM #271
      Statistically, the BMW is better than the Durango - but you're sure right about the cost of repair. I might also go for a CPO F15, with the warranty extended as far as possible.

Also, we've decided that we want some tech features - HUD, surround-view, pedestrian detection - that are missing in the FCA products. If the Q7 had a spare tire (I tow a lot in less-populated places), an Audi would be a done deal.

Tom
      Brandon has a spare tire and sells Q7s.

I can say that I have one too
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Cars
      11-08-2019 05:57 PM #272
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      Brandon has a spare tire and sells Q7s.

I can say that I have one too
      This is all accurate. Although, him and I have already been in communication

as always Mr Stack

Cars
      2019 Volkswagen Arteon SEL-Premium (non R-Line)
      11-08-2019 06:06 PM #273

Untitled by smooremin, on Flickr

So we shall see
      This happened to me on both my WK2 and S90. Both were replaced under warranty but costly and a lot of labor. The sun contributes to this quite a bit, so a sunshade helps ameliorate the problem from returning. I don't like leather dashes for this exact reason.

Cars
      Several.
      11-08-2019 11:44 PM #274
      Man, I don't think I've ever had a vehicle where I pull into the driveway and I just want to stay in my seat and take a nap.

These seats are comfy.

26. Member
      Cars
      2015 GMC Sierra, '98 5.3L Wrangler, '01 International 4700, too many trailers
      11-09-2019 07:23 AM #275
      Oh man my old GC leather dash was doing the same thing! What a POS.

These seats are comfy.
      But those seats. Damn those amazing seats!
      Have you done the AC seat with swamp ass? The wet shorts thermal connection is enough to give you chicken skin.

Proving further that the WK2 falls right on the Vicky Mendoza Diagonal:
      https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...oza%20Diagonal

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast