Fourtitude.com - Audi TT 2007 BWA Oil Consumption
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. 01-06-2019 06:17 PM #1
      Hi!

I have an Audi TT 2.0 TFSI 2007. I bought it in 2013 at 65 000 km (~40 000 miles) and it has now run 116 000 km (72 500 miles). When I bought it the previous owner told me that the engine used some oil, and that he had been told by Audi that this was normal. I also heard through other Audi owners that this was to be expected, and it has therefore not bothered me much. I just added some oil when needed. I have just been driving 10 -12 000 km a year, so topping up didn't happen often (but i never kept track of consumption).

After a friend of mine told me about his horror story, where he had to sell his A5 (EA888) with an engine drinking 1 ltr./qt / 1000 km with a major loss (rebuild estimated at over 7000 euros), I got a bit worried. I know it's not the same engine (EA113 vs. EA888), but I have a feeling that my consumption is rising, and I have therefore started measuring consumption. So far I seem to be burning 1 ltr/ 3 - 4 000 km (1900 - 2500 miles) with a lot of 6 km. (4 miles) trips (and a few longer). Soon testing it on a longer 500 km (300 miles) trip.

So to my question;
      How much is the "typical" consumption for the EA113? I know Audi claims that anything under 0,5 liter/1000 km is to be expected, but what are peoples experiences?

I am worried that my piston rings are in need of a replacement...

Any input is most welcome!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 01-06-2019 06:53 PM #2
      Hi

I have the same engine (2.0 TFSI BWA on a Seat Leon).

I have bought the car pretty recently. My experience with oil consumption -

5W30 VW - First oil used by me in this car - 2000km - 200 ml added

5W40 Fuchs Titan Race Pro S - Now in the engine - 1000km - Same level as it was at the revision

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

4. 01-09-2019 03:51 PM #3
      Thank you for your reply!

I seem to be consuming at least twice as much as you, then. How many miles on it?

I am kind of sceptical when it comes to using oil with different spec. I'm thinking that a thicker oil might be a problem, potentially making it worse? (less lubrication around the pistons = more wear on cylinder walls/piston rings = more oil consumption?)

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 01-09-2019 04:06 PM #4
      Mine has 120 000 KM.

I will describw you my previous experience with TDI -

5W30 Motul in 2.0 TDI - Burning around 200 ml after a 400km journey on highway (pretty high speed)
      5W40 Motul in 2.0 TDI - Not burning anything visible on the stick (same distance ,same highway, same speed)

Personally I think that making the move between 5w30 and 5w40 it's pretty decent (at least for me). It's not like having 5w30 getting burned and switching to 10w60 (I hope you get the point). It's a subtle difference in my opinion. Of course , if we were talking about having big oil consumption also with 5w40, then I would think of engine wear.

Myself , I would have expectations that a new engine <50 000 to run perfectly with 5w30. But having a few more km than 100k ,I am not upset if the car gets comfortable with 5w40

7. 01-09-2019 04:29 PM #5
      And the difference between w30 and w40 - I don't think this can make excessive wear.

Having in mind high temps in petrol engine (taking in consideration also in the summer when it's pretty hot) , I still think switching for a 5W50 in summer time (due to the fact that 5w30 when it's hot it's pretty watery).

Internal wear would also be possible with the following - wear in balancer shaft assembly/oil route - that way internals will not be properly lubricated.

I would switch to 5W40 with a very good oil and after that I would think about internal wear.

8. 01-13-2019 04:44 PM #6
      Check your valve cover ducting for failures. In my experience, these engines don't typically use much oil. PCV issues are more likely causing your oil consumption.

9. 03-02-2019 06:16 PM #7
      Thank you for your replies!

So I am replacing the timing belt (with all pulleys/water pump etc) (because of "chirping" sound), thermostat (engine temp. low/fluctuating) and PCV-valve (just because it is known to be flawed). At the same time I'll take off the cylinder head (valve) cover for inspection and change the gasket underneath.

BTW;
      The oil filler cap is absolutely covered with the white stuff that comes from water in the oil, with the coolant level constant. The termperatures are around freezing here at this time of year, so I know that this can happen, especially with the engine not getting up to running temperatures (because of short trips). Sometimes I have even noticed the white stuff on the dipstick, so there seems to be a lot of it. Seems to lessen when I take it for a longer drive, but doesn't disappear. I don't think it has been like this since I bought it, discovered the white stuff first time last year. Thinking that this gives me even more reason to inspect the plastic cylinder head cover/replace the PCV?

10. 03-29-2019 01:09 AM #8
      The white stuff on the oil cap happens to me in the winter too i use 0w40. During the summer i never have a issue with the oil cap. Its probably just condensation i havnt had to top off the coolant in my car for 2 years now so i know its not the headgasket. Have any leaks? Seems like a lot of these engines the oil cap seal leaks a little too. Whenever i remove the tsi covers theres always oil underneath them. The turbo could be going bad too if your going through oil. Check the tailpipes and see if there black or any black soot inside them or on the bumper.

11. 04-09-2019 07:42 PM #9
      Check your valve cover and replace the PCV (CCV) valve. they are known culprits. The baffles inside the valve cover are basically glued or bonded in place and seem to crack/come unbonded over time. this can lead to oil getting sucked into the wrong passage due to the cracks, resulting in excessive consumption. Im replacing mine soon...though since switching to 5-40 oil (as per recent VW specs) my oil consumption is far less than before.

The wifes 06 passat bpy, FSI, has 207,000 on it now...and had heavy oil consumption. I did the PCV valve and it helped....but found a leak in the oil filter housing. When I took that off, one of the check valves fell right out!....since replacing it, oil consumption on that car is almost gone.

You can also do a compression check on the cylinders to see if they are all about the same...any low readings could be related to rings or valves. a "wet test" isolates the rings, a dry test checks both.....

JP

12. 11-03-2019 05:14 PM #10
      So a quick update:

Changed my timing belt (with all pulleys/water pump etc) (because of "chirping" sound), thermostat (engine temp. low/fluctuating), PCV-valve (just because it is known to be flawed) and the plastic valve cover/gasket on top of the engine.

Result:
      "Chirping" sound gone, temperature steady on 90 degress, oil consumption still high.

Have been driving quite a lot these last few months, so I have been able to monitor the consumption. Seems to be around 1 liter/2500 km. I find this quite worrying, so I will try to switch to a high quality 5w-40-oil soon. I found in my service manual that Audi lists 503 and 504 oils for the LongLife Service, 501, 502, 503 and 504 for the fixed service interval. I have been able to find several 5w-40-oils with the 502-rating, so 5w-40-oil seems to be OK to use on these engine anyways.