VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

BJS Cam Control Housing damage?

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  kgw 
#1 ·
Cross posting here for increased visibility:

I'm currently in the middle of tearing apart the motor in my R32, and yesterday when I pulled the cam control housing, I found some witness marks that don't give me warm fuzzies. I've done a bit of searching, but have not yet been able to figure out if these are 'normal' or signs of oil starvation in the control housing.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0Ysz...JplR1hsgrcvJjw

I'm thinking they are not. The 'snap' rings on the cams that sit in the control housing had these fine 'threads' coming off of them that makes me think there is some pretty bad wear going on in here.

Motor only has about 100k on it, and received synth oil changes every 5k, so I'm scratching my head as to what went wrong if something isn't right.

Has anyone else had experience with witness marks like these before? What does a 'normal' one of these look like after 100k?

#2 ·
Does your motor look clean internally? No sludge, goo, or other nasty stuff? The "Long-life Maintenance" is proving to be "hot air." Oil changes need to revert to 3k intervals at most! From my perusing of the forums here and in Germany (lots of experience with vr6's), oil starvation due to sludge is showing up in the top end. That's where it shows up, where all the expensive bits are :eek: When the oil pick up clogs, oil pressure drops...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.