Fourtitude.com - What's your opinion of Scotty Kilmer?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
      Cars
      German Vans, British cars, and a motorbike.
      06-04-2019 08:28 AM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by Bakounine View Post
      My favourite is by far Engineering Explained. Knows his stuff and doesn't seem to have gigantic ego. .
      I like that guy too. He seems genuinely interested in explaining it, rather than coming off like a know-it-all.

I wonder what engineers think of him.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

06-04-2019 09:37 AM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post

He's geeky, but seems to know his stuff and likes to explain it in relatable ways. He seems really set on giving a good explanation, I like that.

He's more likeable than many of the other car people though, probably indeed in part because of his neutral delivery.

Anyway, he's one of the reasons why I think to disable my start-stop system depending on how long I think I'll be standing still for (anything below 7seconds is likely wasting fuel).

Note: I've only seen maybe three or four videos of his, and it's been a while.
      Current: 2019 BMW X3
      Past: 2015 Lexus CT200h, 2008 Mazda MX-5, 2006 Opel Vectra, 1999 Renault Safrane, 1998 Golf Mk IV, 1985 Golf Mk II
      Gasoline | Hybrid | Diesel

06-04-2019 09:53 AM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post

Jason is fine, but like I said before, an engineer's perspective doesn't always translate 100% real world success. I watched his video on the start-stop systems, he made a lot of sense and did have the numbers to back everything up. But in the end, this will just be one more headache in high mileage, esp after about 120k when most cars start needing replacing old parts. It always looks good on paper...
      2016 GTI S 6MT 2door

5. Member
      06-04-2019 10:07 AM #104
      I will say i agree with scotty on this 100%

"BMWs are endless money pits" some people will tell me how bmws are so great compared to the competition ehhhhh the 5 series brings nothing to the table that a lexus cant , Fxx and Gxx chassis cars are big cruisers not sports sedans

06-04-2019 10:11 AM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by Engineer90 View Post
      Jason is fine, but like I said before, an engineer's perspective doesn't always translate 100% real world success.
      You mean in terms of entertainment value, or are you referring to something else? Otherwise it seems like maybe you aren't fully happy with your career choice :-)

I watched his video on the start-stop systems, he made a lot of sense and did have the numbers to back everything up. But in the end, this will just be one more headache in high mileage, esp after about 120k when most cars start needing replacing old parts. It always looks good on paper...
      Sure, but these are known unknowns, they can quite easily be prepared for by preventative maintenance. Even then, start stop systems are designed to operate over a significantly increased number of cycles, when compared to a traditional system. Especially looking at the newer mild hybrid designs, the number of components at risk of failure is reduced, which should benefit long term reliability. Improved fatigue and crack growth understanding and data should also improve reliability.

If anything, the newer start-stop (mild hybrid) technologies seem simpler than the old ones, so will likely have fewer unknown unknowns, which are the ones I'd be more worried about.

The thought that something new is automatically bad, or should be viewed with some skepticism is old-man cynicism which I don't agree with at all. Ref. Arthur C. Clarke's three laws and all.
      Past: 2015 Lexus CT200h, 2008 Mazda MX-5, 2006 Opel Vectra, 1999 Renault Safrane, 1998 Golf Mk IV, 1985 Golf Mk II

06-04-2019 10:20 AM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by Zembla View Post
      You mean in terms of entertainment value, or are you referring to something else? Otherwise it seems like maybe you aren't fully happy with your career choice :-)
      I am very happy with my career choice. But in my industry, we've had a few times where it looks good on paper but had problems in real life application. I work real close with technicians and have done tech/manual labor myself. So by making mistakes as an engineer and having hands on experience, I've learned a lot and don't just rely on theory.

Sure, but these are known unknowns, they can quite easily be prepared for by preventative maintenance. Even then, start stop systems are designed to operate over a significantly increased number of cycles, when compared to a traditional system. Especially looking at the newer mild hybrid designs, the number of components at risk of failure is reduced, which should benefit long term reliability. Improved fatigue and crack growth understanding and data should also improve reliability.

If anything, the newer start-stop (mild hybrid) technologies seem simpler than the old ones, so will likely have fewer unknown unknowns, which are the ones I'd be more worried about.

The thought that something new is automatically bad, or should be viewed with some skepticism is old-man cynicism which I don't agree with at all. Ref. Arthur C. Clarke's three laws and all.
      I am just skeptic of all this because look at how bad the Nissan CVTs have been. Now, other companies such as Honda and Toyota learned from Nissan and made their CVTs a lot better. Like I said, I work on my cars too and sometimes wonder what the engineers were thinking. Us engineers aren't perfect! Theory is a lot different than real-world application!
      2016 GTI S 6MT 2door

06-04-2019 10:44 AM #107
      Us engineers aren't perfect! Theory is a lot different than real-world application!
      This is for sure. And I'm quite certain most engineers would agree with you. I was really talking quite specifically about the start-stop systems though, but of course, poor choices sometimes are made. Not always the fault of the engineers or their insight of course either :-)

06-04-2019 11:07 AM #108
      Not always the fault of the engineers or their insight of course either :-)
      Very true. Engineers have little control over quality control when parts are made.
      2016 GTI S 6MT 2door

Cars
      2007 A3 8P 2.0T DSG S-Line
      06-08-2019 06:04 PM #109
      Quote Originally Posted by ImpeccableNEW View Post
      Should have gotten a 94 maxima as I believe it was deleted for cost cutting in the 1995MY along with the rear independent suspension. EricThecarguy demonstrated his legends has soft close doors never knew these had that, ive driven a few legend 4 doors of that generation and they didnt have that feature verrrry coool , in that time frame i think only the S-class benz had that feature
      Yeah, but the facelift of the 95 Maxima was a big appeal for me. I had the "SE" model with 5 speed manual. Loved it to bits. Drove it until it was getting very long in the tooth, at 170k miles. I'd replaced the suspension at 90k miles, putting in firmer and slightly lowered struts/shocks, plus anti-sway bar. Took care of deficiencies well. It was a really great car for its time. The new Maxima is an atrocity... really nothing at all in common with what they made 20 years ago.

I will say i agree with scotty on this 100%

"BMWs are endless money pits" some people will tell me how bmws are so great compared to the competition ehhhhh the 5 series brings nothing to the table that a lexus cant , Fxx and Gxx chassis cars are big cruisers not sports sedans
      Yeah, but it's hard to argue against the looks. BMW's tug at my heart strings -- just love the way the M3, M4, and M5 look. I've long wanted to own one, but I just don't have that financial fortitude to do it. Seems that the "best method" is to lease and not have to worry about what might happen post-warranty. I have a friend who is making great money in the finance world and that's what he does. New car ever 3 years.

There was a period of time when the BMW 5 series had an above average reliability rating. I think around 2007 or so. But when something does go mechanically or electrically wrong... BMW parts & labor are a good bit higher than VW/Audi. I have known some people who've been financially clobbered by BMW.
      Last edited by absolutt; 06-08-2019 at 06:13 PM.
      Current ►► 2007 A3 2.0T DSG/OS/TP/CW/CP Ocean Blue —— Previous2003 TTQR 225hp Ocean Blue

11. Member
      06-08-2019 09:25 PM #110
      Quote Originally Posted by absolutt View Post
      Yeah, but the facelift of the 95 Maxima was a big appeal for me. I had the "SE" model with 5 speed manual. Loved it to bits. Drove it until it was getting very long in the tooth, at 170k miles. I'd replaced the suspension at 90k miles, putting in firmer and slightly lowered struts/shocks, plus anti-sway bar. Took care of deficiencies well. It was a really great car for its time. The new Maxima is an atrocity... really nothing at all in common with what they made 20 years ago.

Yeah, but it's hard to argue against the looks. BMW's tug at my heart strings -- just love the way the M3, M4, and M5 look. I've long wanted to own one, but I just don't have that financial fortitude to do it. Seems that the "best method" is to lease and not have to worry about what might happen post-warranty. I have a friend who is making great money in the finance world and that's what he does. New car ever 3 years.

There was a period of time when the BMW 5 series had an above average reliability rating. I think around 2007 or so. But when something does go mechanically or electrically wrong... BMW parts & labor are a good bit higher than VW/Audi. I have known some people who've been financially clobbered by BMW.
      Had a 1987 maxima that had about 6 owners that gave it a hard life before me and it died at about 200k VG30 blew up , weird that your 1 owner maxima was worn at 170k wonder if nissan quality was declining even back then.

Saw a decent shape 1998 maxima with a stillen supercharger and was very tempted, these cars used to embarass mustang V8s back in the day

Only 5 series BMW ive heard of being pretty solid reliable in the semi modern age is e39 I-6 MODELS and some early base 528 e60s ,most v8s from what i hear love leaking oil and worse.

1st gen E53 x5 I-6 models are pretty stout, hence i still see manyyyyy of them puting around in nyc some with horrible wheels, ugly aftermarket angel eye headlights and deferred maintenance up the wazoo.

12. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Cars
      2018 F150
      06-08-2019 10:22 PM #111
      Hory clap. Just checked out EE again as I hadn't watched a video of his in years.
      His channel is really big now (2.2 mil subs).
      The 600LT top mount exhaust video was very good.
      I used to watch his stuff years ago when it was just him, a chalkboard, and a mediocre video camera.

Cars
      06-08-2019 11:08 PM #112
      Had a 1987 maxima that had about 6 owners that gave it a hard life before me and it died at about 200k VG30 blew up , weird that your 1 owner maxima was worn at 170k wonder if nissan quality was declining even back then.

Saw a decent shape 1998 maxima with a stillen supercharger and was very tempted, these cars used to embarass mustang V8s back in the day

Only 5 series BMW ive heard of being pretty solid reliable in the semi modern age is e39 I-6 MODELS and some early base 528 e60s ,most v8s from what i hear love leaking oil and worse.

1st gen E53 x5 I-6 models are pretty stout, hence i still see manyyyyy of them puting around in nyc some with horrible wheels, ugly aftermarket angel eye headlights and deferred maintenance up the wazoo.
      Mine could've kept going. The exhaust system was totally shot (I'd patched it up a few times). Some smoke coming from the tailpipe... so probably could've done with a head/valve job. Transmission was solid, so much so that the clutch was still original. But I was really tiring of it. The plastic center dash was turning into click-tick machine and I didn't feel like taking it all apart and lining with foam insulation. With 170k on the OD, wasn't going to put much into it because of resale value. An acquaintance of mine from the Nissan forums had a 1998 Maxima with Stillen supercharger and coil overs. He'd helped me do the suspension for only $100 in labor. He was that into Maxes. There was a 1998 Maxima SE in "Fast and Furious", souped up obviously.

Yeah, the E39's are solid if you take care of 'em. But, if you need engine work done, you either have to do it yourself or find a very, very reasonable 3rd party mechanic who has a passion for them.
      Current ►► 2007 A3 2.0T DSG/OS/TP/CW/CP Ocean Blue —— Previous2003 TTQR 225hp Ocean Blue

Cars
      06-08-2019 11:11 PM #113
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Hory clap. Just checked out EE again as I hadn't watched a video of his in years.
      His channel is really big now (2.2 mil subs).
      The 600LT top mount exhaust video was very good.
      I used to watch his stuff years ago when it was just him, a chalkboard, and a mediocre video camera.
      It's amazing to see how far some of these YouTubers evolve over time. I've had a similar experience with a few channels I'd watched for a time, stopped, then came back a few years later to discover a huge bump in subscribers, fresh new intro, lots of content, etc.. I have to wonder how much money these people can make from them. I've heard Doug DeMuro is easily pulling in 6 figures plus sponsor perks for doing his. The thing that would keep me up at night is figuring out new content on such a regular basis. True, there are hundreds of interesting cars out there, but... after a time... reviews start to look the same. "Quirk" this and "quirk" that is already getting old.

One I think is really getting tiring is "Good Mythical Morning." The comedy duo of Rhett and Link were friends back in high school and one day they started doing this YT channel on the side... and when it really grew, they quit their day jobs to do it full time. They crank 'em out. 3~4 per week, plus there's all the time spent coming up with content in between. Their channel has gotten really stupid silly now.
      Last edited by absolutt; 06-08-2019 at 11:16 PM.

06-08-2019 11:14 PM #114
      I deff can't stand DeMuro

For real reviews I usually watch TheStraightPipes or TFL

are you serious?? I can't stand that russian guy and his annoying son.
      Current Cars: 2018 BMW///M3 6 Speed Manual Yas Marina Blue over Sakhir Orange Leather | 2019 VW Atlas SEL | 2004 Infiniti FX35
      Previous Cars: 2017 Volvo S90 Inscription T6 AWD |2016 GLI DSG SEL | 2015 Touareg Lux TDI | 2014 GLI 6 Speed MT Autobahn | 2012 Odyssey EX-L | 2010 Outback 6 Speed MT | 2008 VW GTI 6 Speed MT | 2008 BMW 328xi 6 Speed MT | 2007 VW Rabbit 5 Speed MTl | 2001 Honda Accord

16. Member
      Cars
      Boring silver appliance w/rear disc brakes & TuRD Japan shift knob
      07-23-2019 08:21 PM #115
      Shots fired?

Cars
      07-23-2019 08:58 PM #116
      Quote Originally Posted by got-rice View Post
      Shots fired?
      I don't get it. Doug promoted a product of questionable value with no mention of Kilmer, and Kilmer had to respond?

I mean, we've now clicked on both videos, so I guess it's working for both of them.

18. Banned
      07-23-2019 09:08 PM #117
      I can't bear watching Scotty's vids past a minute and I've tried on a few occasions. For now I intake a healthy dose of savagegeese, throttle house, carfection, matt maron, anything chris harris, and shmeeee! Lol not really i just like saying his name. Poor guy got his Senna knocked around the other day.

19. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      07-23-2019 09:14 PM #118
      Quote Originally Posted by got-rice View Post
      Shots fired?
      Clout chasing by saying another man's name. It's sad to watch, especially considering Scotty Kilmer's age. You'd think he'd have something more to contribute to Youtube

Cars
      2015 GTI
      07-23-2019 09:53 PM #119
      I cannot stand Kilmer, tried watching few videos, but seems like every other one of them is some sort of rant...

07-23-2019 11:43 PM #120
      Quote Originally Posted by r_fostoria View Post
      This is seriously the hardest I have laughed in weeks.

I get it, why he is popular with boomers, but his brand isn't for me.

Then again I fully support people that contribute to the Youtube DIY video scene. They often get way less subs, and ad sense $$$ for their work, then the "car personality" guys. Some of the videos I have found over the years have totally bailed my ass out of tight jams.

I will always go out of my way to like, leave comments, and sometimes even subscribe on videos posted by channels who are helping people DIY. This guy doesn't seem to need my help but for a lot of people it is a labor of love making these videos, and hearing from their audience they helped means a lot to them.

Cars
      07-24-2019 08:01 AM #121
      For his neighbor's sake, I really hope he does all these videos in one take.

Cars
      '91 Audi 90 20V Quattro, '95 Range Rover
      07-24-2019 05:21 PM #122
      Guy is a joke.
      Listening to Minor Threat is like turning on the Bat-Signal... In a few minutes everything will be OK.

Originally posted by Matt15:
      don't try to make sense out of the VW scene. you will drive yourself mad.

24. Member
      07-24-2019 05:32 PM #123
      I'll admit i trust his opinion on which brand of something, he just needs to update his brands DENSO isnt NIPPON DENSO anymore

25. Member
      Cars
      Explorer PI, LS430, GX460
      07-24-2019 05:54 PM #124
      I'm about tired of Hoovie's Garage, Tavarish, and DD... they all seem to reference each in some form in almost every video. Well, maybe DD does or doesn't... I don't watch his. Tavarish has so much going on and his updates are getting less frequent and Hoovie is bouncing around too much lately. I've tried to get into Normal Guy Supercar, but he is an acquired taste... funny to watch his growth, or lack of. His subscriber increase is really stagnant.

I've been enjoying Heidi and Franny's Garage lately... it's pretty good stuff for the most part. As always, South Main Auto is probably the best for content to zone out to. Fix It Angel has also been pretty good lately... guy wrenches out of his driveway.

26. Member
      Cars
      small car that does it all, incredibly reliable too
      07-24-2019 06:10 PM #125
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Ah yes, the mid 90's Celica. The pinnacle of automotive technology and performance.

(seriously, all this guy does is boast about how great of a car it is because he owns one and how everything else is **** in comparison with too many gizmos. Out of touch shadetree).

And yet i'd still rather watch him than Demuro.
      I'll take Scotty any day over Top Gear too, can't say I ever cared for Top Gear though, even if I admire the UK, but I sure can't admire every UK band too.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast