Fourtitude.com - What's your opinion of Scotty Kilmer?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
      Cars
      4-door Mustang GT 4.6L
      01-05-2019 07:38 AM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      Nah he has been alive long enough to remember the LeCar being around.
      True .

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      08 Infiniti Guido35x, 74 Datsun Z
      01-05-2019 07:43 AM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by Gvr4-330 View Post
      I thought he was ok and I would watch his videos for advice sometime, but just the other day saw one of his videos where he was splicing in a repair on a brake line. First thing I noticed was he was underneath a car without a jackstand - just a hydraulic jack. Next, the fittings he was using for his splice specifically said not to be used for automotive brakes. After seeing that, I'm not so sure about him any more.
      Listen, pal. I'm sure that hydraulic union was made by Toyota. So it's ok.

In all seriousness why the **** would you ever repair a line like that? A flaring tool is not expensive. What a hack.

This is the correct repair:

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

Cars
      08 Infiniti Guido35x, 74 Datsun Z
      01-05-2019 07:44 AM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by ImpeccableNEW View Post
      "people buy last gen supras and yank the 2jz out for drifting" no they don't
      Yes they do, to put '94 Celica engines in them.
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

5. Member
      Cars
      '17 Outback, '15 Cruze, '18 Elantra
      01-05-2019 08:04 AM #54
      Kilmer I can only take in small doses. I disagree with a lot his opinions, which of course he states as fact - and so much of it is just bluster.

I don't get the DeMuro hate. He's more entertainer than car reviewer, and yeah his voice can grate a bit and his humor is pretty deadpan, but I like his videos for what they are...and he gets his hands on some very cool cars. The comments on his videos are always entertaining.

For pure information dumps, Alex on Autos is great, although his delivery can be a bit boring. But the guy knows the car industry. I also like Redline Reviews (guys name is Soyfan Bey I think). He's pretty good - many of his automotive likes and dislikes align with mine, so his reviews resonate with me.

6. Member
      01-05-2019 09:30 AM #55
      I find it funny when audi owner will tell him about an issue that isnt all that serious like random rough idle and he says " If it were me and out of warranty id just get rid of it"

As if rough idle is a reason to get rid of a car

Cars
      Ferrari La Ferrari
      01-05-2019 09:33 AM #56
      This is the first I've heard of him
      signatures are annoying, right?

8. Member
      Cars
      2020 Toyota 86
      01-05-2019 09:43 AM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      Yea, can't do more than maybe 30 seconds w/o wanting to punch him, which isn't right.

Reminds me of another old mechanic I know who is just as ranty and nutty. His energy is immediately jarring like that thankfully dead Rick And Morty show.
      You leave Rick and Morty out of this! They're not dead either, it was picked up for like 70 more episodes.

9. Member
      Cars
      04 GTI, 03 E46, 17 Cross Trek
      01-05-2019 12:16 PM #58
      Scottty's SHOW is annoying, I think he himself could be ok.

On the other hand, I would probably intentionally crash my car just to get away from Doug Demuro.
      Declaring yourself to be a chicken does not make you a chicken - Ben Shapiro

Cars
      4-door Mustang GT 4.6L
      01-05-2019 01:03 PM #59
      I just thought of something with the other thread on Solomondrin, we should have a competition, the ultimate faceoff of Scotty vs Solomondrin vs Doug vs Shmee vs Vehicle Vergins for the most annoying automotive youtuber .

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      01-05-2019 02:26 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbo II View Post
      I just thought of something with the other thread on Solomondrin, we should have a competition, the ultimate faceoff of Scotty vs Solomondrin vs Doug vs Shmee vs Vehicle Vergins for the most annoying automotive youtuber .
      Don’t forget subaruwrxfan/Matt Moran

Cars
      2018 Tiguan Highline, 2012 X5 35d
      01-05-2019 02:49 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by Gvr4-330 View Post
      I thought he was ok and I would watch his videos for advice sometime, but just the other day saw one of his videos where he was splicing in a repair on a brake line. First thing I noticed was he was underneath a car without a jackstand - just a hydraulic jack. Next, the fittings he was using for his splice specifically said not to be used for automotive brakes. After seeing that, I'm not so sure about him any more.
      Wow that's just... what a complete bozo.
      "THIS, is a two-thousand and twenty Doug DeMuro"

Cars
      2007 A3 8P 2.0T DSG S-Line
      05-29-2019 12:49 AM #62
      Just stumbled across Scotty Kilmer. Wow, what a wacky guy. He does have some "sage advice" mixed in with his babble, you've got to give him that, but he's so damned opinionated. Also, I can't stand how he'll make sweeping generalizations about a brand based on one or two problems he comes across. When I saw him post a video about how turbos are bad and you should avoid them... WTF? Yes, the very old ones. But a turbo done right is a great thing.

Funny how this guy is all about bland reliability (Toyota Corollas) and yet, aside from owning an old Celica, he has a beefy vintage Corvette stingray and a Triumph motorcycle.

Demuro... I don't know how he's keeping his subscriber model going. Quirks, quirks, quirks... enough already. He can be entertaining but after a while... he starts to grate on you. Plus, he espouses about great deals on some high end used cars, completely oblivious to the fact that the reason why most have depreciated so greatly is due to massively high costs when things go wrong.
      Current ►► 2007 A3 2.0T DSG/OS/TP/CW/CP Ocean Blue —— Previous2003 TTQR 225hp Ocean Blue

14. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      05-29-2019 07:07 AM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by absolutt View Post
      Just stumbled across Scotty Kilmer. Wow, what a wacky guy. He does have some "sage advice" mixed in with his babble, you've got to give him that, but he's so damned opinionated. Also, I can't stand how he'll make sweeping generalizations about a brand based on one or two problems he comes across. When I saw him post a video about how turbos are bad and you should avoid them... WTF? Yes, the very old ones. But a turbo done right is a great thing.

Funny how this guy is all about bland reliability (Toyota Corollas) and yet, aside from owning an old Celica, he has a beefy vintage Corvette stingray and a Triumph motorcycle.

Demuro... I don't know how he's keeping his subscriber model going. Quirks, quirks, quirks... enough already. He can be entertaining but after a while... he starts to grate on you. Plus, he espouses about great deals on some high end used cars, completely oblivious to the fact that the reason why most have depreciated so greatly is due to massively high costs when things go wrong.
      I think in general Youtubers have like a 2-3 year shelf life, unless they can really continue to adapt and re-invent themselves. Gimmicky Youtubers like Demuro and Kilmer definitely have not done that.

05-29-2019 07:30 AM #64
      Gimmicky Youtubers like Demuro
      Much as I hate DeMuro, I don't see him going away anytime soon. I think for the masses he sort of brings an inside look into what it's like to have/drive these expensive vehicles. He's high profile enough that he manages to get a hold of some exotic and interesting cars. I can't stand him, but yet, every so often he'll come up with a car that I have to have to watch, but still get some enjoyment out of it.

To come back on an earlier statement of yours: nothing wrong with Rick and Morty, except its die-hard freakish fans.
      Current: 2019 BMW X3
      Past: 2015 Lexus CT200h, 2008 Mazda MX-5, 2006 Opel Vectra, 1999 Renault Safrane, 1998 Golf Mk IV, 1985 Golf Mk II
      Gasoline | Hybrid | Diesel

Below the glide path to KAUS, Outside COTA
      Cars
      Dodge, Hyundai, Toyota, VW
      05-29-2019 07:41 AM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by Zembla View Post
      To come back on an earlier statement of yours: nothing wrong with Rick and Morty, except its die-hard freakish fans.
      I am sure I am not the only one who has not watched the show mainly due to its fans. Same with some youtubers.

Cars
      2020 Dodge Charger R/T Daytona, 2014 RDX, 1989 VW Cabriolet
      05-29-2019 07:56 AM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by DerSpiegel View Post
      If he's less annoying than Doug DeMuro then we're already ahead.
      Demuro is humorous and entertaining, Kilmer is just annoying.

Cars
      2020 Dodge Charger R/T Daytona, 2014 RDX, 1989 VW Cabriolet
      05-29-2019 07:59 AM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by Engineer90 View Post
      I deff can't stand DeMuro

For real reviews I usually watch TheStraightPipes or TFL
      TheStraightPipes are terrible. Throttle House is more entertaining, and they actually review how the car drives on the street and track, not how many bicycles you can fit in the trunk.

19. Member
      05-30-2019 12:46 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by worth_fixing View Post
      savagegeese and engineering explained are the only ones I watch. Far less subjective than others, very technically informative and not at all annoying.

I f*cking hate Kilmer. Probably the most annoying reviewer and tip-giver, which he does on purpose; no one is that annoying without trying. Doug DeMuro is like the ads on facebook "20 things that will shock you about orange juice
      Wait 'til you see number 11."
      This channel deserves so many more subs.

Cars
      2013 Infiniti G37x Coupe, 2014 Mazda CX-5
      05-30-2019 12:55 PM #69
      Basically anything other than a 15+ year old Toyota is bad and you should avoid it.
      Nirvana.

21. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Cars
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      05-30-2019 01:07 PM #70
      I think in general Youtubers have like a 2-3 year shelf life, unless they can really continue to adapt and re-invent themselves. Gimmicky Youtubers like Demuro and Kilmer definitely have not done that.
      I was curious to see if Douggie Fresh was trending up or down so I just pulled the numbers for the last 20 videos. See below and note I'm just posting views/time.

22K - 57m
      1.2M - 2 days
      810K - 1 week
      1M - 1 week
      1.5M - 1 week
      3.4M - 2 weeks
      1.2M - 3 weeks
      1.4M - 3 weeks
      730K - 4 weeks
      854K - 1 month
      984K - 1 month
      2.6M - 1 month
      947K - 1 month
      1.5M - 1 month
      1M - 1 month
      1.1M - 1 month
      1.3M - 1 month
      2.5M - 1 month
      2.4M - 2 months

Skimming through videos beyond this and most all videos settle into 1.something million views. While I'm personally tired of the quirks and features unless it's a car I'm really interested in, the stats show he's doing just fine on YT. To your point about him being gimmicky I disagree. The quirks and features segment is unique to Doug and something nobody else really offers and is actually quite interesting depending on the car.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Cars
      Corrado Lysholm, 2014 Challenger R/T manual, 2013 Camaro SS Dusk Hurst manual & 2001 SVT Lightning
      05-30-2019 01:21 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      Don’t forget subaruwrxfan/Matt Moran
      Face off with this?

Carz: allpic -*Dusk Edition SS-*-cahs-*Challenger RT
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      Yep, when I see andlf as the thread starter, it's a mandatory click now.
      G stands for GRENADE, 60 stands for what the tach says when it happens!.."Here"

Cars
      19 e-Golf SE, 13 Highlander Hybrid Limited, 06 Miata Sport, 05 Sienna LE, 02 Ninja 250
      05-30-2019 01:28 PM #72
      Never heard of him before today.

His voice is a bit grating, and he talks way too f'in much with his damn hands.

24. Member
      05-30-2019 01:52 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by andlf View Post
      Face off with this?
      Do most of you guys think reactions like this are authentic or faked?

Cars
      Manual Avant
      05-30-2019 03:47 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by Engineer90 View Post
      IMHO, Kilmer is one of the best car-related YouTubers. This old-timer mechanic gets it. He has so much experience under his belt that he craps on car makers whenever they do something new on modern cars. From new tech, to stupid things in cars, to unreliability, and so on, he's on it.

I'm a millennial, but I get it also. Not sure if many of you have seen my posts and replies, I have strong opinions, concerns, and questions whenever there are new technologies put in cars. I question everything since I also have experience with mechanic stuff (I'm a certified YouTube mechanic, just to be clear ).

He has a lot of good videos ranging from DIYs to talking about car topics. Here's a good example of his stuff:
      HE has some good stuff, but hes also a very old school mechanic and insists 90's toyotas are the best thing ever, which while they are reliable, time has moved on. Some stuff is entertaining, sometimes hes just an ass.

This guy isn't as entertaining, but has vastly more experience with newer cars, and the tech that they have in them

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtA...liY7ko1PBhzTHA

Cars
      2007 A3 8P 2.0T DSG S-Line
      05-30-2019 04:44 PM #75
      Current ►► 2007 A3 2.0T DSG/OS/TP/CW/CP Ocean Blue —— Previous2003 TTQR 225hp Ocean Blue

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast