Fourtitude.com - Whole home audio equipment selection help
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

12-30-2018 09:21 AM #1
      I’m looking for recommendations on electronics for my house. I have pre-run speaker wire into 4 zones, and am housing the receiver in a central closet. Fair warning, I’m not an electronics guru, so questions/suggestions are welcome and please speak slowly

Zone 1: Great room

I ran wiring for wall mounted Left Middle Center, LR and RR, plus floor mounted subwoofer near wall outlet for power. This will be the most used zone, and treated like the living room while not entertaining. Looking for a nice quality surround sound system, or components that add up to what I think is 5.1 surround sound. The room is not optimized for theater sound whatsoever. It’s approximately an 18’ cube, with walls on two sides. The floor is tile, and one wall is mostly glass. Again, not going for theater sound, but nice quality for movies and music.

Zone 2: Kitchen

Two ceiling mounted speakers, over either end of a wraparound hightop counter. These speakers would mainly be for support of the great room speakers. The kitchen and great room are basically one area, connected. I want these two ceiling speakers to be an independent ‘channel’ from the great room speakers, so I can switch them on/off independently.

Zone 3: Patio

Two wall mounted speakers, likely just for music outside. I already have a couple outdoor speakers, so just looking for network setup help for this zone.

Zone 4: Garage

Two ceiling mounted speakers, just for music while in the garage/driveway. Again, looking for help with making the network work, and any suggestions for speakers.

My biggest need is help with being able to split and control the zones. I’ve done light research into receivers and packaged surround systems, but would like to have one ‘system’ for all zones. Ideally, I would like to control it all from a single remote. Bonus if the same remote controls the great room TV and DVD player. I will have a Wink wireless network, mostly for WiFi switches and outlet monitoring, if that helps.

If I left out any information, ask away. Thank you in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 01-01-2019 01:43 PM #2
      Speaker choice is going to depend on your tastes, but for "zone control", have you looked into www.bluesound.com ?

You could get a single Node/Powernode for each zone not covered by the receiver (e.g. - a 9.2 receiver which supports (3) zones) and control them all from a single app/interface. I had some problems with one of my original Nodes, as the auto update feature would fail over wi-fi. They also suffer from a design flaw as the power supply is too close to the audio out, and low level electronic noise can be heard coming through the speakers. Seems like those issues were resolved with the Node 2...no problem with mine.
      Last edited by colnago; 01-01-2019 at 01:56 PM.

Cars
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      01-01-2019 09:54 PM #3
      I went through the same thing when we were building our home this year (thread). I ultimately scrapped the speaker pre-wires I had put in the house and went with Sonos One speakers that supported AirPlay2. At the end of the day it was just more flexible in regards to playing what I wanted where I wanted. I did keep the 5.1 wiring in the living room and a pair of pre-wires for outdoor speakers in the back.

I have a pair of Ones in our kitchen setup as a stereo pair and they fill the kitchen, breakfast area and family room with sound.

http://www.sonos.com

Sonos does make amps that allow you to do zone control to wired speakers of your choice, you're looking at $500/zone just for the Sonos amp. But any decent multi-zone audio system is going to be expensive.

EDIT: FWIW, this article was written back in March. Sonos released AirPlay2 support (and new products) around May - https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...ound-vs-sonos/
      Last edited by Hostile; 01-01-2019 at 10:01 PM.
      iain

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

01-02-2019 02:23 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      I went through the same thing when we were building our home this year (thread). I ultimately scrapped the speaker pre-wires I had put in the house and went with Sonos One speakers that supported AirPlay2. At the end of the day it was just more flexible in regards to playing what I wanted where I wanted. I did keep the 5.1 wiring in the living room and a pair of pre-wires for outdoor speakers in the back.

I have a pair of Ones in our kitchen setup as a stereo pair and they fill the kitchen, breakfast area and family room with sound.

http://www.sonos.com

Sonos does make amps that allow you to do zone control to wired speakers of your choice, you're looking at $500/zone just for the Sonos amp. But any decent multi-zone audio system is going to be expensive.

EDIT: FWIW, this article was written back in March. Sonos released AirPlay2 support (and new products) around May - https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...ound-vs-sonos/
      I was just talking to a family friend this morning who mentioned Sonos. Looking at their site, I think I could make it work with a mix of their speakers, bar and amp. I almost will need the amp separate because I need waterproof speakers for outside. The other issue is that i dont see any flush mount speakers from them, and I'd like my kitchen and garage channels to be in the ceilings.

I may just wander into BestBuy and hopefully talk to someone that can piece what I need together.

The other option, and I'm not sure if it would even work, would be a single 11.1 channel receiver that would handle it all. My main want is being able to control each channel separately. If Sonos is easy enough to do that, then I'll go that route...

Cars
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      01-02-2019 05:37 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by thegoodson View Post
      I was just talking to a family friend this morning who mentioned Sonos. Looking at their site, I think I could make it work with a mix of their speakers, bar and amp. I almost will need the amp separate because I need waterproof speakers for outside. The other issue is that i dont see any flush mount speakers from them, and I'd like my kitchen and garage channels to be in the ceilings.

I may just wander into BestBuy and hopefully talk to someone that can piece what I need together.

The other option, and I'm not sure if it would even work, would be a single 11.1 channel receiver that would handle it all. My main want is being able to control each channel separately. If Sonos is easy enough to do that, then I'll go that route...
      In theory a 11.2 channel receiver would work as long as the 6 unused channels are individually assignable. For us, I'm going with a 7.1 AirPlay2-compatible receiver for the family room to control the 5.1 system and then use the second zone function on the other 2 channels to drive the pair of outdoor speakers. That way, someone can watch TV in the family room and we can still play completely different music outside. Something like this Denon AVR-X2400H.

My main issue with the multi-room audio was that none of these systems (Denon HEOS, etc) support DRM-protected music from iTunes, which is what makes up a bunch of our music library. So I HAD to have AirPlay2 support just to play most of my music library.
      iain

8. 07-09-2019 02:01 PM #6
      I also heard many positive reviews about sonos. But it's totally depends on your budget

9. 07-09-2019 03:22 PM #7
      There are quite a large number of models of soundbars on the market. The soundbar could be a compromise replacement for a full-fledged home theater. I think it's better to check reviews about Sonos Playbar, Playbase and Bose Soundbar on https://whatever-tech.com/sonos-play...bose-soundbar/ to make the right choice.
      Last edited by Edvardthe3; 07-12-2019 at 07:23 AM.