Fourtitude.com - Who else hates the start/stop systems?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
      Cars
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      12-27-2018 06:43 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post
      you think post 93 trolling?
      You think I read every post before hitting reply?

You do have a point tho.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      '17 Subaru Legacy Sport
      12-27-2018 07:01 PM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Well.. maybe it's just me perception from page 2/3.
      Seems to be a few actually poking fun at those that don't like it/trust it.

And maybe DonL was serious and it not just trolling. (shrug)
      I don't think anyone is poking fun at those that don't like it/trust it. But I do think it's disingenuous for folks to be creating posts claiming start/stop systems are "unreliable" or they "don't save fuel" -- especially without presenting data to support their opinions. It's one thing to create a post saying you don't like them, or that you're concerned about long-term reliability (those are clear opinions and a point of discussion). But it's quite another to pass one's negative opinion off as fact. As a community, we should hold ourselves to a higher standard than that, IMO.
      =

Cars
      2017 Audi A4 Quattro Prestige, 2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
      07-11-2019 10:33 AM #103
      Just picked up a used 2017 Audi A4 Quattro as my daily driver and it has start/stop. To tell you the truth, I actually like it. It will spring back to life in what seems like less than a second and I'm on my way. I though that it would be annoying, but it's been the opposite case for me.
      "Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction
      Have you ever popped the hood on a powerstroke E350?
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW
      No, I got good grades in school

5. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      07-11-2019 11:04 AM #104
      Quote Originally Posted by Engineer90 View Post
      Same here. Imagine having start/stop with a manual?
      Actually that works pretty well. Clutch in=vroom before you get your foot to the gas pedal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post
      Just picked up a used 2017 Audi A4 Quattro as my daily driver and it has start/stop. To tell you the truth, I actually like it. It will spring back to life in what seems like less than a second and I'm on my way. I though that it would be annoying, but it's been the opposite case for me.
      My business partner has one on his new F150. It's pretty seamless. It bothered him at first, but now it doesn't.

Yes, it saves gas. How could it not? These aren't the days of carburetors where a mechanical system has to guess how much gas to use and vacuum systems regulate fuel flow, it's all controlled now.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Cars
      2006 Ford Fusion 2.3 Turbo, 2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid
      07-11-2019 11:09 AM #105
      Had it on the two rental I had (F150, Soul), and doesn't seem to make much sense if you have the AC on. Engine shuts off, then turns back on 10s later because the AC is already blowing warm air.

Makes sense on my hybrid, since it has a large battery and electric motors to drive those systems while the engine is off.

7. Member
      Cars
      lowered STi, lifted Outback.
      07-11-2019 11:10 AM #106
      Another thing is also how loud is the engine when started? most cars I've driven with start/stop is OK, but the most annoying one is GM's system on the 6.2 engine, the factory exhaust is pretty loud during start up, so you can really hear and feel when the engine is being started, worst is those AT4 with factory performance package (intake, exhaust), you constantly hear the loud exhaust being started.

07-11-2019 11:10 AM #107
      The single most annoying feature ever, yes I hate it to death. I rented few cars with it, will not ever purchase a car with it. Period.
      I keep my cars for a very long time, after a while I would begin to have nightmares about it failing and not re-starting my car at a stop.

9. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      07-11-2019 11:12 AM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by Egz View Post
      Had it on the two rental I had (F150, Soul), and doesn't seem to make much sense if you have the AC on. Engine shuts off, then turns back on 10s later because the AC is already blowing warm air.

Makes sense on my hybrid, since it has a large battery and electric motors to drive those systems while the engine is off.
      You'll see more and more of that as time goes on. That's a good thing for guys who build cars from scratch, as you'll be able to mount the compressor anywhere!

10. Member
      Cars
      2010 Audi S4
      07-11-2019 11:13 AM #109
      My GF just got a 2019 Tiguan with it. I cannot hate it more, especially in summer. With the AC on, it will kick off for about 20 seconds at a time at stop lights and then come back on and repeat the cycle. Maybe in other circumstances it's not as bad, but I turn it off every time.

11. 07-11-2019 11:23 AM #110
      Just picked up my first car that has Start/Stop as standard. Didn't know about it as I left the dealership, and the car promptly died at the entrance/exit. It's a thrilling experience if you're not expecting it.
      Not having AC (in Florida) at the stop lights is what makes me deactivate it. Maybe in Dec/Jan/Feb I'll try it on.
      _/_/_/__/___/____/_____/______/_______/________/_________/__________/

Dub Cult | Simply Clean | MK3 Squad

12. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      07-11-2019 01:27 PM #111
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Euro View Post
      Just picked up my first car that has Start/Stop as standard. Didn't know about it as I left the dealership, and the car promptly died at the entrance/exit. It's a thrilling experience if you're not expecting it.
      Not having AC (in Florida) at the stop lights is what makes me deactivate it. Maybe in Dec/Jan/Feb I'll try it on.
      In the Audi if you have the AC on blast the car won't shut off very often, and if it does shut off it'll start right back up as soon as the cabin temperature starts to rise.

I assumed this was the norm?
      Instagram - efrie004

Buy my E46 sport springs. H&R part # 29485 - PM for details.

Cars
      11' G37S Vert / '17 Golf R / '19 CX5 Sig
      07-11-2019 01:51 PM #112
      One of the biggest selling points (and there are many) of my recent CX5 purchase was no start/stop. It's great to not have to deal with that. I had a Tiguan loaner for a few days and it was brutal. The start/stop was not transparent at all.

14. Member
      Cars
      VW MK7 T H I C C
      07-11-2019 02:21 PM #113
      Quote Originally Posted by maximusbibicus View Post
      One of the biggest selling points (and there are many) of my recent CX5 purchase was no start/stop. It's great to not have to deal with that. I had a Tiguan loaner for a few days and it was brutal. The start/stop was not transparent at all.
      I just experienced the same thing in the same car, and it was SO bad. I had no idea WTF was even going on at first. I especially enjoyed feeling it surge through the brake pedal underfoot
      THCK

Formerly (allegedly) fbmphil

07-11-2019 02:34 PM #114
      Isn't it actually Stop/Start, since it happens when the car is already running?

I'm not a fan, but since it gets a "free" bit of credit on the CAFE calculation, look for it to continue proliferating.
      IF I were a 2 year lease kind of guy I might not mind it, but since I'm more of a 200k + mile guy, it just makes me think about the additional maintenance costs that I would see around 100-125k miles.
      Chris
      2014 Passat SE, 1.8tsi, 5sp / 1986 Golf Custom
      2019 DT Ram 5.7 16V / 2005 E-450 motor home 6.8 20V
      A2 Golf & A2 Coupe racers

Cars
      JCW Mini Cooper, 2018 Tiguan
      07-11-2019 03:02 PM #115
      While im not a fan of it in my wifes Tiguan, she always leaves it on when shes driving... first thing i do is turn it off if im driving the thing.... bugs me to no end...

funny that it bugs me that much, considering my next car will be a EV, which essentially is permanently in a "start/stop" configuration
      /| OMGHAI |\

Cars
      2012 A6 3.0T, 2013 BMW 128i
      07-11-2019 03:42 PM #116
      Alright well, while the engine start/stop was almost imperceptible in the 2019 A6 loaner I had a while back and thus didn't bother me at all, I recently got a 2019 BMW 330i loaner when dropping off my 128i. Great car BTW, it drove and felt great overall, but the start-stop system was definitely not subtle, and it drove me nuts so I turned it off. I guess it really does just depend on the car.

18. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      07-11-2019 03:44 PM #117
      Quote Originally Posted by Shmi View Post
      Alright well, while the engine start/stop was almost imperceptible in the 2019 A6 loaner I had a while back and thus didn't bother me at all, I recently got a 2019 BMW 330i loaner when dropping off my 128i. Great car BTW, it drove and felt great overall, but the start-stop system was definitely not subtle, and it drove me nuts so I turned it off. I guess it really does just depend on the car.
      I would think so. The sensory deprivation chamber that is an F150 didn't bother me at all, but if it were harsh it probably would.

19. Member
      Cars
      3 Audis, 1 Honda, 1 GMC
      07-11-2019 03:56 PM #118
      I now have one full month in my new car with the feature and I turn it off maybe 90% of the time.

Cars
      07-11-2019 04:52 PM #119
      Quote Originally Posted by HotCarlWeathers View Post
      I just experienced the same thing in the same car, and it was SO bad. I had no idea WTF was even going on at first. I especially enjoyed feeling it surge through the brake pedal underfoot
      Funny how things work. I had my R in overnight for some work so they gave me the Tiguan loaner. I had test driven it while shopping for a SUV and I thought it was "just" ok. Not bad, but not as good as the competition. I got it as a loaner 3 weeks after getting our CX5 and it did a glorious job of reaffirming our choice. It was so blah in stop and go, highway cruising and felt like you were towing a boat with it's anchor down when you floored it. In a 20 minute test drive, not bad. Two days of driving and all the faults come out.

21. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      07-11-2019 05:03 PM #120
      Quote Originally Posted by maximusbibicus View Post
      Funny how things work. I had my R in overnight for some work so they gave me the Tiguan loaner. I had test driven it while shopping for a SUV and I thought it was "just" ok. Not bad, but not as good as the competition. I got it as a loaner 3 weeks after getting our CX5 and it did a glorious job of reaffirming our choice. It was so blah in stop and go, highway cruising and felt like you were towing a boat with it's anchor down when you floored it. In a 20 minute test drive, not bad. Two days of driving and all the faults come out.
      I've noticed that Japanese cars tune the first 1/3 accelerator pedal to be more aggressive, as it makes it feel more powerful. I know they were so equipped in the 1980s, but I'm not sure if that goes back further or not. They used to use cams on the throttle body to change it as it went through its range, but now it's all software. I've gotten so used to it that sometimes when I drive other cars I have to think about it. Must. Mash. Pedal.

Cars
      1992 Miata, 2001 VW GTI, 2008 RX350
      07-11-2019 05:04 PM #121
      Got Start/Stop on the new A6. What I've started to notice is it take a lot of pressure on the brake pedal to make it kick in. I can be stopped at a traffic light with light pressure on the brake pedal with the car stopped and it doesn't stop, press harder on the brake pedal and the engine stops. The effort on the brake pedal to get the start/stop to engage can be a bit uncomfortable. I suppose the threshold improves response time and it gets signaled to restart the engine as the brake pedal is being released before application of pressure on the gas pedal.

23. Member
      Cars
      2019 VW GTI Rabbit
      07-11-2019 05:06 PM #122
      I turn it off for my morning commute cause it's annoying in stop and go traffic. But for every day driving it's not bad. Pretty smooth on my GTI

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Cars
      07-11-2019 05:29 PM #123
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      I've noticed that Japanese cars tune the first 1/3 accelerator pedal to be more aggressive, as it makes it feel more powerful. I know they were so equipped in the 1980s, but I'm not sure if that goes back further or not. They used to use cams on the throttle body to change it as it went through its range, but now it's all software. I've gotten so used to it that sometimes when I drive other cars I have to think about it. Must. Mash. Pedal.
      Actually, when specifically comparing the Tiguan and Atlas vs others the thing I hated the most was their aggressive tip in. It made driving the car smoothly very tough, especially in stop and go.

Cars
      e92, LS1 S30, mk2 GTi vr6
      07-11-2019 06:12 PM #124
      yeah i hate them

Cars
      2005 Jetta Wagon TDI manuel 1.5 Malone, 2014 Tiguan 4MO
      07-11-2019 06:30 PM #125
      I had it in a rental. I had never driven a vehicle with it before so it freaked me out at first

But yes...

Then I found the button to turn it off.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast