Fourtitude.com - American tourists risk death to vacation in Mexico...
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    1. 01-03-2019 02:02 PM #76
      I watched locked up abroad last night about an american who was mistakenly found guilty of a crime he didn't commit in mexico. Family guy from El Paso who drove down to Juarez to visit his dying grandmother. got 5 years, two of which he served in a mexican prison and ending up hanging out with the Sinaloa cartel, advising about hits etc.....yea i'll just stay in the US lol.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      08 Infiniti Guido35x, 74 Datsun Z
      01-03-2019 02:07 PM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post

But again, we stayed away from San Jose and spent our time in the Guanacaste region. It’s a bit more agrarian there (traditional farming and ranching), so maybe it’s like the difference between NYC and Cheyenne, WY w/re to how people behave.
      Oh absolutely, don't get me wrong i'm not writing off the entire country. It's a beautiful place with amazing people, I still keep in contact with the guide and photographer from the tour we were on.

It was only experienced in San Jose, however having it happen on the second day of our trip made us have our guard up a bit the rest of the trip admittedly.

We ventured all over including out to Guanacaste, Samara, the Manuel Antonio National Park, Stayed at a beautiful spot in Puerto Carrillo, Poas volcano, Arenal Volcano. We then rented an SUV and drove out to Puerto Viejo on the Caribbean coast (where a week prior to our visit a Toronto school teach was murdered for his DSLR camera no less). Which is a shame, because that is a beautiful area and nice surf community with a small town feel.

I wouldn't go as far to advise people NOT to travel to Mexico or Central/South America. But I also won't make excuses for the realities/dangers etc. to foreign tourists.
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

Cars
      08 Infiniti Guido35x, 74 Datsun Z
      01-03-2019 02:12 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      We are gonna need proof here. Otherwise, your wife might just be a linebacker.
      You've seen pics of her on here! lol
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      01-03-2019 02:34 PM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by Fahrbomb View Post
      I watched locked up abroad last night about an american who was mistakenly found guilty of a crime he didn't commit in mexico. Family guy from El Paso who drove down to Juarez to visit his dying grandmother. got 5 years, two of which he served in a mexican prison and ending up hanging out with the Sinaloa cartel, advising about hits etc.....yea i'll just stay in the US lol.
      I've seen a lot of that show, it used to be called Banged Up Abroad but at some point they changed the name. I don't recall that particular episode but just about everyone featured on the show was guilty. A lot of them even had really much harsher sentences but were pardoned (still after a number of years), a lot of the time for political reasons.

6. 01-03-2019 03:35 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      I've seen a lot of that show, it used to be called Banged Up Abroad but at some point they changed the name. I don't recall that particular episode but just about everyone featured on the show was guilty. A lot of them even had really much harsher sentences but were pardoned (still after a number of years), a lot of the time for political reasons.

oh yea... usually it's about some idiot thinking he can tape pounds of coke to his leg and travel internationally like it was nothing. This episode was completely different which made it even crazier. Mexican military anal probed him with electric current...insane.

I'm pretty sure it was a brand new episode last night.

7. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      01-03-2019 03:47 PM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      You've seen pics of her on here! lol
      I have not. More proof needed!
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

01-03-2019 06:16 PM #82
      My dad actually spent a little time in a Mexican jail back in the late 60s. I never heard the whole story, but he was leading a pretty hedonistic lifestyle back then so he probably deserved it lol. He was very lucky to have a uncle with enough juice to pull strings to get him out before the homies got him.

Glad he made it back in the 70s because he and my mom met on a beach near Baja.

Cars
      2006 Ford Fusion 2.3 Turbo, 2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid
      01-03-2019 06:45 PM #83
      Speaking of countries not worth risking your life, China has been elevated on risk.

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-c...dvisory-2019-1

The State Department's elevated travel advisory is out of concern that China may arbitrarily enforce local laws and detain US citizens without cause.

The advisory also indicates that US-Chinese citizens or Americans of Chinese heritage are especially vulnerable to "additional scrutiny and harassment."

"Chinese authorities have asserted broad authority to prohibit US citizens from leaving China by using 'exit bans,' sometimes keeping US citizens in China for years," the State Department said in its advisory.

The new China travel advisory is a level-two advisory, which urges increased caution. A level-one advisory suggests travelers "exercise normal precautions," while a level-three advisory urges Americans to "reconsider travel." A level-four advisory recommends that Americans avoid traveling to a particular country.

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      01-03-2019 07:12 PM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by Egz View Post
      Speaking of countries not worth risking your life, China has been elevated on risk.

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-c...dvisory-2019-1

We (Canada) upped our risk level there a few weeks ago after this whole weird spat with the Huawei exec. I was there in October and pretty happy this stuff didn't happen before then.

11. 01-05-2019 10:55 PM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by Bibs View Post

I know we all love cheap vacations, but at what point do we stop rewarding these countries with our money?
      Thats why we dont want a border wall. We can have them come over here and be safe.

12. 01-05-2019 10:59 PM #86
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Breakfast burros?
      Donkey was underage, so it was "burritos"

13. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      01-05-2019 11:43 PM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by SoTxBill View Post
      Donkey was underage, so it was "burritos"

01-06-2019 07:16 PM #88
      Just booked all my Mexico City lodgings. I got a 1000 SQ foot air bnb next to the 4 seasons, in one of the nicest neighborhoods of the city, for $140 a night.

That is just crazy value for a major city.
      Last edited by HI SPEED; 01-06-2019 at 07:30 PM.

15. Junior Member
      Cars
      2014 Beetle R-line DSG; 2004 GTO 6spd; 2004 Rav4
      01-11-2019 06:48 PM #89
      Just returned from a week in Guadalajara. Wonderful food, people, culture. More polite than what I tend to see here in South Florida with the Northern NJ and NYC expats.

16. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      01-11-2019 06:52 PM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by HI SPEED View Post
      Just booked all my Mexico City lodgings. I got a 1000 SQ foot air bnb next to the 4 seasons, in one of the nicest neighborhoods of the city, for $140 a night.

You'll love it. It's been 15yrs since I have been, but it's an amazing place with amazing people (super hot ladies too)

17. Member
      Cars
      2017 Dodge Challenger SRT with a third pedal, 2002 Jeep GC Limited
      01-12-2019 05:56 PM #91
      last time my wife and I vacationed on Cali, she wanted to drive to the border for w/e reason but not go into Mexico, as I didn't have a passport, well, we ended crossing over into Mexico, not gonna lie, lol I was freightened I have no idea why anyone would want to visit there

Cars
      Two fake rich sedans & one non-Prius hybrid
      01-13-2019 08:31 AM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
      I have no idea why anyone would want to visit there
      I can walk into an OXXO (Mexican 7/11) and get 2 cold beers for the equivalent of $1 USD.

Cars
      Ferrari La Ferrari
      01-13-2019 10:17 AM #93
      Canadians be like

Quote Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
      last time my wife and I vacationed in Toronto, she wanted to drive to the border for w/e reason but not go into Americs, as I didn't have a passport, well, we ended crossing over into Detroit, not gonna lie, lol I was freightened I have no idea why anyone would want to visit there
      signatures are annoying, right?

Cars
      2006 Ford Fusion 2.3 Turbo, 2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid
      01-13-2019 11:42 AM #94
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      I can walk into an OXXO (Mexican 7/11) and get 2 cold beers for the equivalent of $1 USD.
      Yea, but are they good beers?

Cars
      Two fake rich sedans & one non-Prius hybrid
      01-13-2019 12:24 PM #95
      Pacifico is drinkable.

01-13-2019 02:51 PM #96
      Last time I was down there, the place next to our air bnb, was selling cases of SOL for around $11. That is one of my favorite beers, and is perfect for the heat.

Cars
      Ferrari La Ferrari
      01-13-2019 06:07 PM #97
      Last time I was down there, the place next to our air bnb, was selling cases of SOL for around $11. That is one of my favorite beers, and is perfect for the heat.

Cars
      Ferrari La Ferrari
      01-13-2019 06:08 PM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Pacifico is drinkable.

Cars
      GOLF 99, 18 Nismo Econobox
      01-14-2019 02:43 AM #99
      SOL that's water with some taste for beer, you can have Modelo, Negra Modelo, Victoria, Pacifico, Montejo, Tecate (the red one not the watered one light one).

Anyone ever coming to Mexico City hit me up i might have a few suggestions...

26. Member
      Cars
      18 Taco, 83 GTI
      01-14-2019 11:46 AM #100

And an amazing one at that.

I made 30+ trips to Mexico in non-tourist areas from 2011-2017 for 2-3 weeks each and the worst thing that happened is a coworker had his sunglasses taken at a military checkpoint between Empalme and Hermosillo. Most of my time was spent working in Empalme, San Carlos, Hermosillo, Tecate, Delicias, and Jaurez with Jaurez being the only location that made me feel uneasy being that in 2011 the murder rate was still the highest per capita in the country.
      Occasionally a few of us would fly from Hermosillo to Mexico City for the weekend and always had a great time, it truly is an amazing city that is worth experiencing.

The best al pastor tacos I've ever eaten came from a random street vendor in Mexico City packed with locals.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast