Fourtitude.com - The SQ5 was rear ended, need advice on how much pepper my angus needs
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
      Cars
      SQ5, Allroad, & Miata
      12-07-2018 08:01 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by O_loung1 View Post
      i don't get this neither. let's say someone too intelligent to know the difference between the left and right pedal in a full auto rear ends me in my toyota that looks like it was washed daily with a brillo pad. then yes, no flips given if the bumper was repaired by bondo, filler or paper mache. but if it's a car that i've detailed or have had correction work completed on, than my expectations on the repair would be higher. on the other hand, we have folks on here that purposely "pinstripe" their trucks while they still have paper plates
      Yeah, if this was my Allroad, I wouldn't have even filed a claim. Its dented, sun baked, and has faded fenders, but the SQ is another story. Really the lesson I've learned here is I need to get off my ass and get the bull bars and K04s on the Allroad so I have something that is impervious to the daily battle of driving in SF.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 12-07-2018 08:39 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by bothhandsplease View Post
      I can get a new bumper cover for under $600 shipped. I don't want to deal with mismatching paint and a bumper that possibly has other small marks on it.
      All plastic pieces on any vehicle are painted separately from the rest of the vehicle. The paint should match as well as your current bumper.

Cars
      1992 Miata, 2001 VW GTI, 2008 RX350
      12-07-2018 08:43 PM #28
      I'm with you on wanting the car back that way it was before it was hit.

An option is to do the bumper cover replacement yourself. My Miata was hit many years ago and I purchased a used bumper assembly, finally got around to having the bumper cover painted this summer and did the bumper removal and re installation with newly painted bumper cover. There was a little internal parts damaged behind the bumper cover, but was able to mix and match parts between the old and "new" bumper assemble to get a bumper assemble built up for re-installation. Body shop buffed out the bumper after I got it installed. Used Bumper assembly and paint was about $1100.

Cars
      SQ5, Allroad, & Miata
      12-07-2018 09:02 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by sandwich-chris View Post
      All plastic pieces on any vehicle are painted separately from the rest of the vehicle. The paint should match as well as your current bumper.
      What about fading? I also correct my paint annually and I'll doubt I'll find bumper that looks like the rest of my car.

6. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      12-07-2018 11:15 PM #30
      What about fading? I also correct my paint annually and I'll doubt I'll find bumper that looks like the rest of my car.
      Take it to a shop that can match paint. Have it painted.

The cost sucks, but at least it'll match.
      Instagram - efrie004

Cars
      SQ5, Allroad, & Miata
      12-08-2018 12:39 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      Take it to a shop that can match paint. Have it painted.

The cost sucks, but at least it'll match.
      I'll take a look at used/wrecked bumpers and see if it's more cost effective to pay for a used on to be sanded and painted vs a new one being painted. Too bad your SQ isn't a 8R, I'd just come steal your bumper.

8. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Cars
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      12-08-2018 01:14 AM #32
      Is it a rental? That's the only valid question.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.
      Buy my couch!

9. Member
      12-08-2018 05:36 AM #33
      Trade it in. You'll always know that it happened and if that's going to annoy you, just get rid of it and start over with something new.

If you get it fixed, get them to do it at their certified shop so they'll have to fix it again when you inevitably find something wrong with the repair.
      19 Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4 6MT JCW Tuning Kit
      18 BMW X3 M40i
      17 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription P*

Cars
      2003 TTq coupe, 2005 Outback 2.0XT, 2014 Soul!, 2004 A6 3.0
      12-08-2018 10:24 AM #34
      If you were already rear-ended isn't it too late to pepper said angus?
      Audi TT FAQ -- Outback EJ20Y swap

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Campbell
      I mean, there are two Darren Stevens, right? Dick York and Dick Sargeant. Shyeah, right, as if we wouldn't notice. Oh, hold on! Dick York, Dick Sergeant, Sergeant York...wow, that's weird.

12-08-2018 11:38 AM #35
      I am going to keep shopping around for a repair shop. I haven't found one that will that guarantee the cosmetic aspect of the repair yet, only function.
      I find this strange - if they're not guaranteeing the final finish, what work are they guaranteeing on a job like this? Every collision shop I have worked for over the last two decades, from a small mom & pop operation up to dealership/manufacturer certified centers, has offered a lifetime warranty on all repairs, especially the paint work. What are you seeing in the fine print that says they won't guarantee the work against cosmetic defects?
      -Dave
      1995.5 S6 2.2T
      2008 Passat 2.0T
      2016 Touareg V6 Lux

12. Member
      Cars
      2013 GTI
      12-08-2018 11:39 AM #36
      This thread has 34 posts and not a single picture of the bumper.

Post picture of said damage.

13. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Cars
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      12-08-2018 12:26 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by WRX2GTi View Post
      This thread has 34 posts and not a single picture of the bumper.

Post picture of said damage.
      Happy now?

Cars
      bunch of old german junk
      12-08-2018 12:42 PM #38
      Ok, so the thing about replacing the whole bumper is that they will need to blend into any panel that the bumper touches. You can't simply paint the new bumper to the factory paint color and expect it to match. So the bumper would be painted, then the new paint would be blended into the rear quarters and potentially the hatch depending on how the panel meet (I'm not really familiar with SQ5s). If they repair your existing bumper, only the affected area will be painted, and the color can be blended across the bumper cover only. You do not want to replace the whole bumper cover. Source: I worked in a body shop.
      this / is / where / your / sweet / mods / go

15. Member
      Cars
      2013 GTI
      12-08-2018 01:16 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Happy now?

Nope

16. Member
      Cars
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      12-08-2018 11:48 PM #40
      File a claim with your insurance company and they will go after the other person

I assume your insurance company will replace the bumper cover, right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by Jezza
      Power and Speed solves many things
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      APR Stage 1/Osram CBI D3S/Neuspeed P-flo

17. Member
      Cars
      04 GTI, 03 E46, 17 Cross Trek
      12-09-2018 12:34 AM #41
      You own a Audi SQ5 and you're fussing over peppering your angus over $900?
      Declaring yourself to be a chicken does not make you a chicken - Ben Shapiro

Cars
      1992 Miata, 2001 VW GTI, 2008 RX350
      12-09-2018 02:07 AM #42
      After reading all the responses in this thread I've come to realize no one has answered the OP original question "need advice on how much pepper my angus needs".

So with that in mind, let me recommend a nice 5 pound bottle of Gel Spice Ground Black Pepper, available on Amazon for just $29.99

https://www.amazon.com/Gel-Spice-Gro...%2Bpepper&th=1

Cars
      2013 Conestoga Wagon & 2009 V8 Interceptor
      12-09-2018 04:50 PM #43
      OP should also moisten said angus to allow the pepper to adhere better.
      The content above does not represent the views or opinions of any sane or logical human being. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.

Cars
      '08 R32, '12 A4 Avant, '15 F36 Gran Coupe, '16 S3 Sportback
      12-09-2018 06:38 PM #44
      A $400-600 repair/respray of the rear bumper will sort you out. No need for a new bumper. It's that simple.
      Quote Originally Posted by BeeAlk View Post
      Ponto, you need to be banned already. This **** just aint fair.

21. 12-09-2018 07:51 PM #45
      This site is amazing ---- and really stupid at times

1) You got hit -- -- It's their fault and your car will be fixed perfectly!!! With a lifetime warranty for parts and labor and that includes cosmetics!!! There should also be a check cut to you for diminished value too!!! YOU had a nice car before and now anytime someone now runs a Carfax it shows a accident and it is now worth less -- diminished value!!! I got one of these checks even after my Camry was rear ended the fourth time.. But you have to fight for it....

2) Why would you accept a check from an insurance company for full repairs.... I think that's what I read you did... unless you were just planning on pocketing the check. An insurance company makes money screwing over people that are wanting money from them. It has been said here several times. Take the car to YOUR insurance company and get it fixed... and let them scum suckers deal with each other!!!!

3) IT"S your loss, you get it fixed your way, not theirs. It doesn't matter what is written in their policy on how they will fix the car, because your not a binding party to their contract just because you got hit. (My wife did insurance defense for State Farm). If they start getting chitty, say you've got a lawyer waiting. Tell them in no uncertain terms what you expect!!! If they want to fix it their way, tell them to cut you a check for the full price of your car and they can then fix anyway THEY want.... A really chitty way of screwing with them, is to threaten to take the insured(the driver that caused this mess) to small claims court to recover the amount that is being shorted. They are required to cover those costs!!!

4) I've only allowed a used part ever to be placed on one of my vehicles once!!! and it was a bumper cover on my Camry after a rear ender, and the only reason I agreed to it was there were NO new covers available anywhere at that time. They claimed that there would be no problems with a used cover, SO I made the auto body shop put in Capital Letters at the bottom of the repair statement that a used bumper was used and they would replace it at no cost should ANY defect (including cosmetics) should occur for as long as I owned the car and made the owner and manager of the shop sign it...… Sure enough, 5 months latter it started sagging and pulling away from the holding clips. Got a NEW bumper cover put on at that time!!

When in doubt, or when not satisfied, especially since you've got a NICE car, get a good freaking lawyer.... This is the kind of stuff that they live for!!!!!!!

GOOD LUCK

Cars
      Q5 TDi, Sportsmobile Van, Mazda CX-5
      12-18-2018 12:23 PM #46
      So what did the OP decide to do?
      If you can't measure it, you can't understand it; if you can't understand it, you can't control it.

As said on BAT "We’ll burn this guy to high hell for lowering his car but we will bid 6 figures on safari builds. Come on son" - 2mAn

Cars
      SQ5, Allroad, & Miata
      12-18-2018 12:56 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
      So what did the OP decide to do?
      Turns out my insurance company and the insurance company of the guy who hit me are owned by the same parent. I've left 5 or 6 messages with my agent who won't call me back. I got a quote from an Audi certified shop and its around $1K more than what insurance is willing to pay. They don't deal with my insurance, but will fix the car right and 100% guarantee their work.

I've also got a quote from AAA and I'm going to drop my insurance as soon as this is over.

The car is at 034 Motorsport for the next week or so while it gets a new tune and 3.5" intake made for the larger TB. I'll keep calling my agent and leaving messages until I get the car back. I haven't decided if I'm ready to bite the bullet and pay out of pocket when I get the car back or if I'll keep hounding this guys for a while longer.

Cars
      S60, ‘murrica
      12-18-2018 01:59 PM #48
      Sorry to hear they’re being so stubborn. Having said that..

Yeah, if this was my Allroad, I wouldn't have even filed a claim. Its dented, sun baked, and has faded fenders, but the SQ is another story. Really the lesson I've learned here is I need to get off my ass and get the bull bars and K04s on the Allroad so I have something that is impervious to the daily battle of driving in SF.
      Yes. Yes. All the yes. Perfect for shoving your way through Cow Hollow.
      One sedan
      One coupe

Cars
      '19 MDX, '16 V60CC, '08 987 S
      12-18-2018 03:58 PM #49
      Turns out my insurance company and the insurance company of the guy who hit me are owned by the same parent. I've left 5 or 6 messages with my agent who won't call me back. I got a quote from an Audi certified shop and its around $1K more than what insurance is willing to pay. They don't deal with my insurance, but will fix the car right and 100% guarantee their work.

I've also got a quote from AAA and I'm going to drop my insurance as soon as this is over.

The car is at 034 Motorsport for the next week or so while it gets a new tune and 3.5" intake made for the larger TB. I'll keep calling my agent and leaving messages until I get the car back. I haven't decided if I'm ready to bite the bullet and pay out of pocket when I get the car back or if I'll keep hounding this guys for a while longer.
      While I can appreciate your frustration, I am in the camp here that you should just get the original bumper fixed. I think that you have will have fewer paint matching issues, etc.

That said, it's your car, and when I want something perfect on my car, I've been known to go to extreme measures too
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk
      this is due to your inexperience with performance driving . . . you really do have to take a car to a performance driving event, track day, autocross, ice race etc to get a feel for how a car actually performs. and you have to have the knowledge and skill to be able to manipulate the car in such a way as to get it and keep it at the edge.

26. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      12-18-2018 04:25 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by SchnellFowVay View Post
      I've been known to go to extreme measures too
      Praise Amex!
      Instagram - efrie004

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast