Fourtitude.com - The SQ5 was rear ended, need advice on how much pepper my angus needs
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
      Cars
      SQ5, Allroad, & Miata
      12-07-2018 12:33 PM #1
      Around a month ago I was rear ended at a stop light at low speed by someone who was texting and driving. The impact was at a low speed and the damage was pretty minimal, however I do have a very prominent H stamped into my bumper from his honda logo, along with some broken plastic parts. I've been working with his insurance and mine, as well as some body shops. The body shops I went to said that insurance would probably only pay to have the bumper repaired and not replaced. Talking to "reputable" shops, they said they can repair the bumper by "shaving it down and using filler" and that I'd be "like new."

I finally got the appraisal and the shops were correct. I've been given 4.5 hours (@$40 an hour) to recondition the bumper and lower plastic valance which has a small crack in it. My concern is that filler on a poly bumper isn't going to hold up and I'll be dealing with a halfassed repair down the line. I want a new oem bumper since I feel thats the only way to ensure my car has been returned to its exact state before the accident.

Am I overreacting? Is modern bumper filler amazing and I shouldn't worry? A quote for a new bumper is around $2,300, I was given $1,400 by the guy's insurance.

How much pepper do I need? $900 worth?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Cars
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      12-07-2018 12:37 PM #2
      I got rear ended in my old A4 Avant. I went through my insurance who then went after their insurance. Most importantly, I went to an Audi Certified Collision Center which repairs cars back to factory spec and filler BS isn't part of that equation. I recommend you do the same. Note your policy should have an uninsured/under insured motorist clause for exactly this kind of situation.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Cars
      15 GSW, 15 Passat Sport, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      12-07-2018 12:44 PM #3
      Can you source a clean OEM rear bumper from a auto wrecker? Then structurally it would be good - just get it painted to match. I would think a majority of wrecks are going to involve the front end so a rear bumper would be easier to come by.

5. ***** (Cat) Lover Pizza Cat!!!!'s Avatar
      Cars
      1) allmistake 2) V8 rental 3) merican vw 4) fake porsche
      12-07-2018 12:50 PM #4
      Could always steal Efrie’s rear bumper.

I mean, his is a rental.
      Own a Chevrolet SS? Join the Official TCL Registry!

It's me, Rabbit, I promise.
      Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Dubber-GLI View Post
      NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

Cars
      Q5 TDi, Sportsmobile Van, Mazda CX-5
      12-07-2018 01:03 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      Can you source a clean OEM rear bumper from a auto wrecker? Then structurally it would be good - just get it painted to match. I would think a majority of wrecks are going to involve the front end so a rear bumper would be easier to come by.
      Getting an A rated part from a stripper (auto wrecker) is what your insurance would do anyway. They don't want to pay for OEM and paint.

Ask around and see if you can find one. What color is your SQ5? car-part.com might be helpful to look for it.
      If you can't measure it, you can't understand it; if you can't understand it, you can't control it.

As said on BAT "We’ll burn this guy to high hell for lowering his car but we will bid 6 figures on safari builds. Come on son" - 2mAn

7. Member
      Cars
      '17 GTI, '18 F22, '13 E88, etc.
      12-07-2018 01:07 PM #6
      That's what I would do. Might even find one that's already the same color, and can pop it on in an hour. If the other person's insurance company is just going to throw that money at you and not see you through to proper repair, might as well keep some of it.

edit: And no, I wouldn't want it fixed with filler. I don't have a problem with filler on metal, but those covers are pliable to some degree, and it's likely not the same degree as the filler.

8. Member
      Cars
      2019 Cherokee Limited, 2016 Charger R/T, 2018 Pacifica Limited, 2001 Jetta VR6 5MT
      12-07-2018 01:13 PM #7
      I would check your insurance coverage, and see how it would be handled. If your coverage specifies new oem parts, then it’s only fair to go after his for new oem parts.

If they refuse to offer any more, mention that you’ll be pursuing diminished value. It’s their responsibility to “make you whole”. Granted it may cost more time and money than it’s worth, but their offer is only an offer, there is always more.

As mentioned, if it’s just the bumper cover, I’d try to find a good used one in the same color and slap it on.

9. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Cars
      '18 Mazda CX-5
      12-07-2018 02:47 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by bothhandsplease View Post

Am I overreacting?
      A little yes.

If done properly it should be completely untraceable and will hold up just as long as the paint does. This isnt some air cooled Porsche that you're gonna have for 20+ years.
      Last edited by absoluteczech; 12-07-2018 at 06:09 PM.

10. 12-07-2018 03:04 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      A little yes.

If done properly it should be completely untraceable and will hold up just as long as the paint does. This isnt some water cooled Porsche that you're gonna have for 20+ years.
      I don’t understand this thinking. It isn’t a water cooled Porsche, so it’s OK to accept a half-ass repair?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cars
      Q5 TDi, Sportsmobile Van, Mazda CX-5
      12-07-2018 03:14 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by cruster View Post
      I don’t understand this thinking. It isn’t a water cooled Porsche, so it’s OK to accept a half-ass repair?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      The OP called it halfassed. It doesn't mean that the repair proposed in the claim is half-assed, it is his/her opinion that it is a sub-par job. With par being a replacement with a new part.

This is insurance 101. Not all repairs need to be replacements. A patch works fine and any owner outside of an enthusiast would never notice the difference and it is purely a cosmetic issue so that is what the body shop is recommending.
      If you can't measure it, you can't understand it; if you can't understand it, you can't control it.

As said on BAT "We’ll burn this guy to high hell for lowering his car but we will bid 6 figures on safari builds. Come on son" - 2mAn

Cars
      A Fancy Nissan
      12-07-2018 03:16 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      I got rear ended in my old A4 Avant. I went through my insurance who then went after their insurance. Most importantly, I went to an Audi Certified Collision Center which repairs cars back to factory spec and filler BS isn't part of that equation. I recommend you do the same. Note your policy should have an uninsured/under insured motorist clause for exactly this kind of situation.
      A little yes.

If done properly it should be completely untraceable and will hold up just as long as the paint does. This isnt some water cooled Porsche that you're gonna have for 20+ years.
      A little bit of these. I can relate, you want your car fixed, but what I've learned is that so long as you use a reputable shop, you won't have anything to worry about. In the case of Audi, definitely use their recommended certified collision center. I obviosuly don't know which one your dealership will use, but the one here in the Broward County area is one of the best collisions centers I've seen. The Audi's and Jag's were the least expensive vehciles in there. They are the go to certified shop for all the local Ferarri/Maserati, Benz/BMW/Audi dealers etc. Their work and time certainly isn't cheap but when you get your car back its brand new.
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Disclaimer: Generally, I strongly dislike people.
      Current: 18' Infiniti Q50 Red Sport
      Prior Vehicles: 13' E92 335i M-Sport l 04' E46 330ci SMG l 04' MKIV GLI 1.8t 6spd

12-07-2018 03:51 PM #12
      Repairing plastic bumper covers is a normal collision repair procedure, and 4.5 hours of damage does not represent a significant amount of damage. That is not to suggest that 4.5 hours of repair is all that's needed - the bumper cover (and other parts) may ultimately need to be replaced. You should think of your repair shop as your advocate in the repair process - they will disassemble and inspect the vehicle for any additional damage, and negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf to secure the necessary funds required to repair the vehicle properly, which may or may not result in replacement of the bumper cover. You won't get any traction trying to negotiate replacement of the bumper on your own, it's up to the shop you choose to work that out with the insurance company. If you don't trust the shop to act as your advocate, you shouldn't use them for the repair. Your concern about the repair being done properly is valid, but it's why you should select a reputable shop with a lifetime guarantee on their work. Any good collision repair facility will offer that guarantee in writing. If they can't/won't, find another shop that will.
      -Dave
      1995.5 S6 2.2T
      2008 Passat 2.0T
      2016 Touareg V6 Lux

Cars
      mk4 futura 1.8T GTI, mk6 CW GTI, awd outlander sport
      12-07-2018 04:13 PM #13
      this.
      praise the lowered
      ¡save manuel!

Originally Posted by George Bluth >>
      It's so obnoxious when VW Golf/Jetta owners comment

Cars
      SQ5, Allroad, & Miata
      12-07-2018 04:54 PM #14
      I can get a new bumper cover for under $600 shipped. I don't want to deal with mismatching paint and a bumper that possibly has other small marks on it.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
      The OP called it halfassed. It doesn't mean that the repair proposed in the claim is half-assed, it is his/her opinion that it is a sub-par job. With par being a replacement with a new part.

This is insurance 101. Not all repairs need to be replacements. A patch works fine and any owner outside of an enthusiast would never notice the difference and it is purely a cosmetic issue so that is what the body shop is recommending.
      What if I am an enthusiast and take better car of my car than the average person?

For a 3 year old car, the paint is perfect. There are no swirls, marks, or any faults. Ultimately it is just a $60K car worth $35K with $20K of parts on it, so not like we're talking about something that is irreplaceable or extremely valuable. However, I don't really agree with the mindset that due to someone's negligence I'm suck with "good enough."

Quote Originally Posted by VWAudiRally View Post
      Repairing plastic bumper covers is a normal collision repair procedure, and 4.5 hours of damage does not represent a significant amount of damage. That is not to suggest that 4.5 hours of repair is all that's needed - the bumper cover (and other parts) may ultimately need to be replaced. You should think of your repair shop as your advocate in the repair process - they will disassemble and inspect the vehicle for any additional damage, and negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf to secure the necessary funds required to repair the vehicle properly, which may or may not result in replacement of the bumper cover. You won't get any traction trying to negotiate replacement of the bumper on your own, it's up to the shop you choose to work that out with the insurance company. If you don't trust the shop to act as your advocate, you shouldn't use them for the repair. Your concern about the repair being done properly is valid, but it's why you should select a reputable shop with a lifetime guarantee on their work. Any good collision repair facility will offer that guarantee in writing. If they can't/won't, find another shop that will.
      There is not significant damage, I totally agree. I don't think there will be any additional structural or hidden damage. It is really just the bumper cover.

I am going to keep shopping around for a repair shop. I haven't found one that will that guarantee the cosmetic aspect of the repair yet, only function. The insurance company has a similar lifetime guarantee, but in the fine print its only for functionality. I've been to an Audi certified shop, which is one that said they could use filler to even things out. My plan was to do exactly what you've laid out, I was just hoping there was a shortcut. Oh well.

16. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Cars
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      12-07-2018 06:02 PM #15
      This.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.
      Buy my couch!

Cars
      '16 e-Golf SE, '00 GTI 1.8t, '15 Accord Sport CVT, '92 F-250 4X4
      12-07-2018 06:05 PM #16
      So you’re worried that your bumper got bumped? Isn’t that what it’s there for?

Cars
      SQ5, Allroad, & Miata
      12-07-2018 06:12 PM #17
      It was a certified center that said they'd use filler. I am going through my insurance and am covered for this stuff. I just need to find a certified center that won't use filler.

Cars
      2014 Audi S4
      12-07-2018 06:13 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by GLI Dan View Post
      A little bit of these. I can relate, you want your car fixed, but what I've learned is that so long as you use a reputable shop, you won't have anything to worry about. In the case of Audi, definitely use their recommended certified collision center. I obviosuly don't know which one your dealership will use, but the one here in the Broward County area is one of the best collisions centers I've seen. The Audi's and Jag's were the least expensive vehciles in there. They are the go to certified shop for all the local Ferarri/Maserati, Benz/BMW/Audi dealers etc. Their work and time certainly isn't cheap but when you get your car back its brand new.
      I am actually looking for Audi collision center in Broward County.
      Are you talking about Lauderdale Collision Center or is there something else?

20. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Cars
      '18 Mazda CX-5
      12-07-2018 06:16 PM #19
      I can get a new bumper cover for under $600 shipped. I don't want to deal with mismatching paint and a bumper that possibly has other small marks on it.

There is no guarantee someone painting an entire rear bumper will match the paint perfectly either.

It was a certified center that said they'd use filler. I am going through my insurance and am covered for this stuff. I just need to find a certified center that won't use filler.
      What is your aversion towards a small amount of filler on a plastic bumper? We're not talking about gobs of it splattered all over the vehicle.
      Last edited by absoluteczech; 12-07-2018 at 06:19 PM.

21. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      12-07-2018 06:22 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by 2 doors View Post
      So you’re worried that your bumper got bumped? Isn’t that what it’s there for?
      His vehicle, prior to being hit, was perfectly clean. He wants it that way again. This is not a difficult concept.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

22. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      12-07-2018 06:57 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      His vehicle, prior to being hit, was perfectly clean. He wants it that way again. This is not a difficult concept.
      Makes no sense to me.

It's a car, should have dents on every corner. Torn seat, and rust.

What, you expect a car less than 10 years old to be in decent shape? Pft, please.
      Instagram - efrie004

Cars
      SQ5, Allroad, & Miata
      12-07-2018 07:15 PM #22
      There is no guarantee someone painting an entire rear bumper will match the paint perfectly either.

What is your aversion towards a small amount of filler on a plastic bumper? We're not talking about gobs of it splattered all over the vehicle.
      All I want is the car returned exactly how it was before I was hit. At the end of the day, the car will have a new bumper cover and it will be repaired to my satisfaction. I'm just a little upset that I'll have to pay out of pocket to get it that way. I was going to spend that money on a ported blower!

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      TCL is such a weird place. If you touch your phone whatsoever when driving, its a mortal sin, but when a jackass rolls into you because they were texting, its NBD.

Next thing they're going to say is a 550+HP CUV has too much power or that trying to break 11.5 in the 1/4 is dumb.

24. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      12-07-2018 07:20 PM #23

Next thing they're going to say is a 550+HP CUV has too much power or that trying to break 11.5 in the 1/4 is dumb.
      I thought you just have to point it in the direction you wanna go and smile?

Instagram - efrie004

Cars
      SQ5, Allroad, & Miata
      12-07-2018 07:46 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      I thought you just have to point it in the direction you wanna go and smile?

If its dry, flat, and straight, no problem. Its been raining lately and I can spin all 4 tires for a few seconds before they finally hook up, but I'll still spin on the shift into 2nd and 3rd.

I rotated my tires around 5K miles ago before I got the latest E40 tune and they were all at the same depth. Just checked this week, my fronts are 6/32nds and my rears are 3/32nds...whoops.

Cars
      14 s4 6mt
      12-07-2018 07:48 PM #25
      All I want is the car returned exactly how it was before I was hit. At the end of the day, the car will have a new bumper cover and it will be repaired to my satisfaction. I'm just a little upset that I'll have to pay out of pocket to get it that way. I was going to spend that money on a ported blower!

TCL is such a weird place. If you touch your phone whatsoever when driving, its a mortal sin, but when a jackass rolls into you because they were texting, its NBD.
      i don't get this neither. let's say someone too intelligent to know the difference between the left and right pedal in a full auto rear ends me in my toyota that looks like it was washed daily with a brillo pad. then yes, no flips given if the bumper was repaired by bondo, filler or paper mache. but if it's a car that i've detailed or have had correction work completed on, than my expectations on the repair would be higher. on the other hand, we have folks on here that purposely "pinstripe" their trucks while they still have paper plates

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast