Fourtitude.com - All-New 2020 Lincoln Aviator Takes Flight with Advanced Technologies, Grand Touring Performance Option
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
      Cars
      M44/40F20CS65
      11-28-2018 04:25 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by jfon View Post
      Looks great, but though I'm entering my 7th year of retirement I'm too young for a Lincoln. Looking forward to seeing the Explorer version; hopefully it will have a more intelligent gear shirt arrangement.

I think this will depend on the rest of the lineup and dealer experience. With the sedans going away, we'll be left with the MKC, Nautilus, this, and the Navigator. If the future upgrades to the MKC (whatever it will be renamed into) and the Nautilus are as good as this and the Navigator, I think they'll be very similar in the same market segment where GMC's Denali line currently is the star. Affluent suburbanites with young families who want a relatively low-key premium vehicle.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      11-28-2018 04:27 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
      Nice.

It looks like a wagon but it is a SUV. Are wagons officially dead yet?
      I'd argue the other way around. It's on a "car platform" (making it a wagon by any other name) but the looks are still "SUV."

Either way, it reinforces the narrative that Lincoln is stealing Cadillac's thunder. It's the spiritual successor of something Cadillac came out with forever ago.

Cars
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      11-28-2018 04:30 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      I think this will depend on the rest of the lineup and dealer experience. With the sedans going away, we'll be left with the MKC, Nautilus, this, and the Navigator. If the future upgrades to the MKC (whatever it will be renamed into) and the Nautilus are as good as this and the Navigator, I think they'll be very similar in the same market segment where GMC's Denali line currently is the star. Affluent suburbanites with young families who want a relatively low-key premium vehicle.
      Lincoln Corsair

11-28-2018 05:19 PM #54
      And can we please get a well deserved round of applause for Lincoln for converting back to proper names, and not just any names, but damn good ones?
      Matt
      2018 Toyota Highlander SE AWD, Midnight Black Metallic/Black
      2018 Volkswagen Golf R 6-speed, Lapiz Blue/Titan Black
      2018 Four Winns H210 / 5.3L Volvo Penta V8 300 / DPS-A Duoprop drive

6. Member
      Cars
      2015 Ford Focus 1.0, 2008 MINI Cooper S
      11-28-2018 05:31 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by Maximum_Download View Post
      And can we please get a well deserved round of applause for Lincoln for converting back to proper names, and not just any names, but damn good ones?
      This x1,000

I follow the car industry fairly closely (everyone on here probably does WAY more than the general population) and I still NEVER could get straight the MKC, MKX, MKT, MKZ, etc. So dumb.

Cars
      2018 Volvo S90 T6 Inscription & 2017 Jeep GC Overland
      11-28-2018 05:37 PM #56
      Anyone else notice the new steering wheel controls?
      (The inner steering wheel area itself)

2018 Volvo S90 T6 Inscription & 2017 Jeep GC Overland

11-28-2018 05:45 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by J.Yossarian View Post
      My mom just picked up a loaded Q7 a few months ago, so I'm actually pretty eager to compare it to the Aviator. From what I'm reading, the Aviator may outstrip the Q7's price in its higher trims - IIRC the Audi tops out around $75K, and it's looking like the Lincoln could push well above $80K in hybrid guise.

I feel like the Escalade was a big jump forward for Cadillac interiors when the current gen debuted - I remember a Motor Trend comparo against the Range Rover, among others, where they singled out the Escalade's interior quality as being the best. Even with small victories like that, though, interior quality seems to be a consistent criticism across Cadillac's lineup, so I hope Lincoln has determined that they're not going to let that be a weak point anymore. The Aviator's interior looks exceptional in these photos, and I love that Lincoln has zeroed in on a unique design language that can't be mistaken for any other automaker.
      Don't write off Cadillac just yet. I've seen a mock up of the Escalade interior and its pretty cool, even if I still dislike Cadillac's interior design motif. I think the XT6 is going to pale in comparison to the Aviator though.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

11-28-2018 05:45 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by Ark6 View Post
      These engines are exclusive to Lincoln, right?
      No 3.0 for Explorer?
      3.0 turbo will be in Explorer Platinum and Explorer ST. Not Lincoln exclusive.

3.0 turbo PHEV will be Aviator exclusive in the US but available in Explorer elsewhere.

I was at the press conference at the LA Auto Show earlier. There was a huge gasp from the crowd when 600 lb-ft number was splashed on the big screen. Lincoln totally nailed this car

Cars
      7.4, 6.4 & 5.7
      11-28-2018 05:46 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by E365 View Post
      This x1,000

I follow the car industry fairly closely (everyone on here probably does WAY more than the general population) and I still NEVER could get straight the MKC, MKX, MKT, MKZ, etc. So dumb.
      Not only that but in the 2000's Lincoln shifted from when the "MK" used to be pronounced "MARK" to "em-kay" because us Americans are too dumb.

Cars
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      11-28-2018 05:49 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by Maximum_Download View Post
      100%

Cars
      15 Mazda 3, 07 Ducati Monster S2R
      11-28-2018 06:49 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      3.0 turbo will be in Explorer Platinum and Explorer ST. Not Lincoln exclusive.

3.0 turbo PHEV will be Aviator exclusive in the US but available in Explorer elsewhere.

I was at the press conference at the LA Auto Show earlier. There was a huge gasp from the crowd when 600 lb-ft number was splashed on the big screen. Lincoln totally nailed this car
      So at this rate, it sounds like once the Taurus and it's platform mates are dead is dead, the 3.5 EB is strictly a F150/Expy/Navigator motor.
      And the hybrid is definitely a strong point of the car.

Cars
      2018 Tiguan Highline, 2012 X5 35d, 2012 Golf 2.5
      11-28-2018 07:10 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by sforsancho View Post
      Genuinely curious if you have proof of this. Press cars don't live the easiest life. We almost bought a 2018 Navigator and will probably be buying one of these. When I say probably, I mean like 95%.

We have a 7 year old Fusion PHEV with 100k+ that has never stranded us, broken down, required any abnormal service and actually feels very good and solid for a 100k car..
      https://youtu.be/XWGhOOI_akQ?t=60

I want it to be a good car, I think this is by far the best looking modern luxury car to ever come from an American nameplate that wasn't :

A) Brought over from Europe and slapped with a nameplate
      B) Not incredibly tacky looking or the victim of bad ergonomic design
      C) Too expensive for its own good

I see subtle design throwbacks to a time when American cars were king, which I love that they've incorporated it into this design. It actually has an identity.

It has the looks, that's for sure. But if you actually want people to cross this agains the likes of a Range Rover, or a Mercedes, you've got to have the quality down as well. I've experienced some pretty poor quality standards in modern Fords, I test drove a new Lincoln when the A-pillar suddenly popped off, they can't afford those crappy mistakes anymore.

This will obviously be built on the same line as other Ford products, so I hope when the day of the week comes to make Aviators all day, that they step up quality control and don't leave atrocious panel gaps like on the previous Explorer.
      Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post

If the next GTI has over 300 hp off the showroom floor, I'll eat my airedale.

11-28-2018 07:34 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by J.Yossarian View Post
      My mom just picked up a loaded Q7 a few months ago, so I'm actually pretty eager to compare it to the Aviator. From what I'm reading, the Aviator may outstrip the Q7's price in its higher trims - IIRC the Audi tops out around $75K, and it's looking like the Lincoln could push well above $80K in hybrid guise.

I feel like the Escalade was a big jump forward for Cadillac interiors when the current gen debuted - I remember a Motor Trend comparo against the Range Rover, among others, where they singled out the Escalade's interior quality as being the best. Even with small victories like that, though, interior quality seems to be a consistent criticism across Cadillac's lineup, so I hope Lincoln has determined that they're not going to let that be a weak point anymore. The Aviator's interior looks exceptional in these photos, and I love that Lincoln has zeroed in on a unique design language that can't be mistaken for any other automaker.
      You are so right- This thing will run you 80k loaded (Black Label Grand Touring PHEV AWD) with all 6 packages and all 6 options. But in a world where the nav pushes over 100k, I don't see this being an issue. And with there being a black label dealer near me, it is getting more and more appealing.

I just wish they had the yacht club theme for black label from the nav- I love the blue interior, and thought it would have gone well with the new iridescent blue flight paint- the main theme of the aviator was its flight theme which just leaves much to be desired imo.
      Current Vehicles
      2019 Volkswagen Arteon SEL-Premium R-Line 4Motion
      1990 Mercedes-Benz 500SL

Cars
      2002 Miata, 2006 Subaru STi
      11-28-2018 07:59 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      https://youtu.be/XWGhOOI_akQ?t=60

It has the looks, that's for sure. But if you actually want people to cross this agains the likes of a Range Rover, or a Mercedes, you've got to have the quality down as well. I've experienced some pretty poor quality standards in modern Fords, I test drove a new Lincoln when the A-pillar suddenly popped off, they can't afford those crappy mistakes anymore.

This will obviously be built on the same line as other Ford products, so I hope when the day of the week comes to make Aviators all day, that they step up quality control and don't leave atrocious panel gaps like on the previous Explorer.
      Thanks for the source. Shiny black plastic is just a bad trend in automotive design now, which I've watched detailing videos on how hard this is to keep nice looking and how impossible it is to restore. Can't say I didn't expect this. I'm not sure what other cars with big shiny black pieces wouldn't also do this? Benz, Porsche, BMW are all guilty of this. Any scratch in the clearcoat covering shiny black plastic is going to catch debris and show up pretty obviously

Here's a video of the shiny black plastic detailing https://youtu.be/4an83rCMPK0

There are definitely a few fit and finish things that were wrong about the Fusion when we got it, the most noticeable being a misaligned window switch surround which of course is more shiny black plastic. But the shiny black plastic around the window switches in that car has survived pretty well.
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cote View Post
      You just saved 15% or more on Valentime's day by switching to friendzone.

Cars
      2017 Golf GTI Sport
      11-28-2018 08:07 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      Don't write off Cadillac just yet. I've seen a mock up of the Escalade interior and its pretty cool, even if I still dislike Cadillac's interior design motif.
      That's good to hear, but it's getting harder and harder to justify GM's seeming unwillingness to sweat the small stuff. After the new Silverado and Sierra debuted with truly lackluster interiors (that have been universally panned by the automotive press), I was pissed. When I see Cadillac come out with a no compromises vehicle that has unique style and a fantastic interior, I'll believe they've got what it takes. If you take the XT4 as an example of what the future looks like, though, things aren't so rosy. It is firmly in the "meh it's not bad and the interior is a 6/10 but it's mostly competent" range, and that's just not going to move the needle.

There just aren't enough props for me to give Ford and Lincoln with the Aviator. As others have noted, Lincoln was on life support for years, and though we don't know for sure that the Aviator will be a huge sales success, this is the kind of effort that's required if you want to change your fortune. I hope it prints money for them.

17. 11-28-2018 08:08 PM #66
      This is pure art.

Cars
      Now: 2016 GTI PP Autobahn; Then: 2006 A3 Sport 6MT
      11-28-2018 09:24 PM #67
      Well done, Lincoln. Well done.

19. 11-28-2018 09:33 PM #68
      People the Caddy XT6 is going to be nothing but a luxed up Chevy Traverse with a XT5 like Interior... GM has no competitor to this..

20. Member
      Cars
      2016 RAV4 Hybrid, MK5 Jetta
      11-28-2018 10:40 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by r_fostoria View Post
      Cadillac is too busy trying to compete with BMW from 2008.
      So much this. Cadillac has been trying to distance itself from its brand image for the past two decades, while Lincoln seems to be embracing theirs. They aren't trying to be class leading in terms of performance, handling, braking, track times, etc. They are instead trying to make the automotive equivalent of a well tailored suit.

Cadillac has being playing track and field with the Germans, while Lincoln has decided to just drive right by the venue and do their own thing.

Cars
      Now: 2016 GTI PP Autobahn; Then: 2006 A3 Sport 6MT
      11-29-2018 06:47 AM #70
      This is a great comment, and a spot on description of what Lincoln has become. Agree, 100%

Assuming this thing drives and handles appropriately, it will definitely give the Yukon, X5, Q7, JGC Overland/Summit buyers some serious competition. Based on looks alone, my normal Audi bias goes out the window and I'd take this every day and twice on Sundays.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubveiser View Post
      So much this. Cadillac has been trying to distance itself from its brand image for the past two decades, while Lincoln seems to be embracing theirs. They aren't trying to be class leading in terms of performance, handling, braking, track times, etc. They are instead trying to make the automotive equivalent of a well tailored suit.

22. Member
      Cars
      '13 Optima SX-L, '11 MKX, '06 ER-6N
      11-29-2018 08:03 AM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by r_fostoria View Post
      We were still getting "why is Lincoln still around, just kill it already" comments on this site, like a month ago. I'd argue that Lincoln is on a fast track to surpass Cadillac in terms of brand image with the new Navigator and now this. Cadillac is too busy trying to compete with BMW from 2008.
      I think Cadillac kind of learned its lesson.... just about 10 years too late. And they have scorched their brand image. Lincoln on the other hand just kind of laid low, and now has the latitude to pivot and redefine itself. If they can translate this language to the smaller crossovers (and ditch the stupid piano black plastic), and dial up the electrification, I think they will be OK.

11-29-2018 10:51 AM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by bWs View Post
      Anyone else notice the new steering wheel controls?
      (The inner steering wheel area itself)
      It has customizable steering wheel controls on each side and it has the voice control button at 10 o clock in the rim which is so cool.
      Current Vehicles
      1990 Mercedes-Benz 500SL

11-29-2018 10:52 AM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by Tomaz View Post
      People the Caddy XT6 is going to be nothing but a luxed up Chevy Traverse with a XT5 like Interior... GM has no competitor to this..
      True even in platinum form i doubt it will be impressive- and there won't be a plug in or a black label ownership experience.
      Current Vehicles
      1990 Mercedes-Benz 500SL

25. Member
      Cars
      2017 Golf R, 2017 Miata RF
      11-29-2018 01:03 PM #74
      I have nothing to add other than Lincoln is absolutely killing it. They have been in the wilderness for a long time and have come back with their brand identity. Bravo.

Cars
      Fake Rich C300 & Insight 3.0
      11-29-2018 01:11 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by Tomaz View Post
      To be fair isn't the Aviator basically a luxed up (new) Ford Explorer?

This isn't meant as a knock against Lincoln.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast