Fourtitude.com - Would you buy a used car from a company that refuses to allow pre-purchase test drives?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
      Cars
      '19 Odyssey, '12 Sportwagen 2.5
      11-25-2018 11:56 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
      Well it is Tesla's policy: https://www.tesla.com/support/used-t...est-drive-used

You can arrange to test drive a new one and I'm guessing since there really haven't been any changes, it would be the same.
      So why is this Tesla's policy on CPO vehicles? Honestly, what is the driving factor here?

Until reading this thread, I had no idea Tesla prohibited test drives on their used vehicles.

This policy seems ridiculous and I am with the guy who complained about this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2015 Passat "Limited Edition"
      11-26-2018 09:28 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by nm+ View Post
      So you don't get to find out a tire is out of balance or a shock is done until you put down your cold hard cash? **** that.
      A test drive of a used car is far more important than of a new car.
      I'm not agreeing with the policy, just stated that it is their policy.

As a CPO car, I would expect the tires to be new and balanced. If not, it has a warranty.

Cars
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, 2020 Ascent
      11-26-2018 09:39 AM #28
      "CPO" can mean different things to different manufactures. I went and drove a "CPO" Volkswagen for my brother a few months ago. The car was dirty inside (pretty sure there were little ketchup stains on the interior carpet), the front brake pads were gone, and the car was just overall beat. None of that was obvious in the photos. I would have noticed the cosmetic stuff without a test drive, but the test drive was very revealing as to the car's overall condition.

In any event, I don't see any reason not to allow a used car test drive. If anything, it should be a much smaller deal than a new car. The car already has umpteen miles on it, what's a few more from test drives?

Cars
      2019 Subaru Ascent
      11-26-2018 09:55 AM #29
      For me it is always need to do a test drive. Not to see performance or how it handles but to make sure there is nothing wrong with how it drives. My Uncle purchased a new Ford Explorer from a dealer after he test drove at another dealer (didn't have the options he wanted) and bought it sight unseen. He figured new car any issues would be addressed. The car had a major issue with the steering that Ford could not fix. It was something you noticed pretty quickly as it felt like the car would be wandering all over the road. So he had this car that would cause fatigue on trips for 100,000 miles and no fix in sight.

Other example is when my wife went to purchase her Sonata. The dealer had one on the lot that we wanted and when we test drove it we found the infotainment system didn't work. They argued we could purchase it and they would fix it later. We said no, walked away and purchased the car down the street for the same price after a test drive.

While I understand things can break or not work the test drive is the only chance you have to find these up front.

Maybe if I was buying an expensive Sports car I could see not being allowed to test drive it but other than that for me no test drive no purchase!
      Blue Subaru Ascent Touring is in the Garage!
      My YouTube Channel please subscribe and give feedback!
      Reviews and How to Videos
      Ascent Oil Change (Fumoto Valve Install)

11-26-2018 10:05 AM #30
      I would not, for the same reason I would never buy a house without a pre-purchase inspection. That said, obviously people buy used Teslas and people also buy homes without PPI. I'm just not such a person.

7. 11-26-2018 10:18 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post

In any event, I don't see any reason not to allow a used car test drive. If anything, it should be a much smaller deal than a new car. The car already has umpteen miles on it, what's a few more from test drives?
      I agree, unless the dealer has some exotic or super high end luxury and does not want joy rides, cant see any dealer not allowing test drives on a used car. Its used, unless it has some one off spec you can find keep moving to a dealer that you feel better about. Right now some other dealer has the same used car and wont put you through any hurdles.

8. Senior Member
      11-26-2018 10:21 AM #32
      "CPO" can mean different things to different manufactures. I went and drove a "CPO" Volkswagen for my brother a few months ago. The car was dirty inside (pretty sure there were little ketchup stains on the interior carpet), the front brake pads were gone, and the car was just overall beat. None of that was obvious in the photos. I would have noticed the cosmetic stuff without a test drive, but the test drive was very revealing as to the car's overall condition.

That doesn't sound like the CPO was done yet, they were just advertising it as being CPO since the CPO is possible. The manufactures really don't want dealers doing that because of exactly what you posted.. you now think that is a CPO car and are put off by it. But dealers also know that not everyone wants a CPO car so sometimes they advertise it as CPO and don't do it in case someone comes in and low balls the car and doesn't care about the extra coverage.

Cars
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      11-26-2018 10:46 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post
      Yes which is weird. I don't want to drive my CPO Model S because I want to experience a Model S I want to test drive my CPO Model S to make sure it goes down the road straight, doesn't make a weird clunk over bumps etc.
      Exactly.

Short of some super exotic collectable, I wouldn't (and haven't) ever buy a new, used, or CPO car of any sort without at least a short test drive.

Heck, I get annoyed enough if the sales person rides along, or worse, needs to drive it off the lot "because of their insurance."

10. Member
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      11-26-2018 11:51 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by acsean792 View Post
      Guys sounds like a prick. So condescending to say “know your audience” because his salesmen seems young and happens to drive the car you’ve wanted for some time. He was going to settle for a car without key features he wanted so obviously this wasn’t a big deal either. Complaining that you had to drive 6 hours with a 4 year was a Choice made by you.

Basically I have little to no sympathy for him. Sucks that you didn’t know The was a no test drive rule but maybe your 16th new car purchase in 33 years of living goes a little smoother.
      This. The no-drive policy is silly, but he put down a deposit and was taking delivery--he had already agreed to buy the car. If driving was a pre-req for purchase, that should've been discussed earlier.

And the age thing--I look about 10 years younger than I actually am, and in my professional role get judged for it from time to time. It's not winners that are doing the judging.

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Cars
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 19 Bolt, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      11-26-2018 12:12 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by 03GTI4Me View Post
      So why is this Tesla's policy on CPO vehicles? Honestly, what is the driving factor here?

Until reading this thread, I had no idea Tesla prohibited test drives on their used vehicles.

This policy seems ridiculous and I am with the guy who complained about this.
      Pick one or more;
      1) Tesla doesn't have enough sales staff to give used car customers the time and attention required to allow a test drive of a specific vehicle.
      2) Because Tesla doesn't follow the dealership model, Tesla has their used car inventory at multiple service locations and sales locations. They don't want to ship a car from place to place for test drives as that would be costly for them.
      3) Tesla is a disruptor and they can do whatever they please in the name of market disruption. Even at the customer's expense.

12. 11-26-2018 04:14 PM #36
      Um , no I won't and haven't. When then , don't attack me , EVO X returned I wanted one . But the dealerships wouldn't allow test drives . I understood they didn't want random joyriding . But not when I drive onto lot in an 07 Eclipse Spyder GT Loaded . Not like I pulled up in a beater backfiring . So , no sale for them . So , they sat and sat and sat ....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Cars
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, 2020 Ascent
      11-26-2018 04:26 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post
      That doesn't sound like the CPO was done yet, they were just advertising it as being CPO since the CPO is possible. The manufactures really don't want dealers doing that because of exactly what you posted.. you now think that is a CPO car and are put off by it. But dealers also know that not everyone wants a CPO car so sometimes they advertise it as CPO and don't do it in case someone comes in and low balls the car and doesn't care about the extra coverage.
      It may have been a shady dealer listing a car as CPO when it was not, though I had had a good experience with a new car at the same dealership prior. The salesman made a really big deal about how the car was CPO and how great their CPO program was. But long story short, a car being advertised as "CPO" does not mean you can just assume all is good.

Cars
      2019 Audi Q8, 2000 911 Carrera, 2005 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro
      11-26-2018 04:46 PM #38
      Bought my 996 off BaT without a test drive first. It had the right options in the right condition for the right price, and I was willing to fly out to get it. But I feel like I did my due diligence by getting a PPI, inquiring about questionable things up front, and the seller / BaT did a good job documenting the vehicle history with detailed pictures of the car and service history and receipts. Also checked the seller's history, who had a positive reputation. It made me confident enough top pull the trigger. Sure enough, the car drove exactly as advertised.

For daily driven stuff, a test drive is a must for me before buying.

Cars
      2005 Jetta Wagon TDI manuel 1.5 Malone, 2014 Tiguan 4MO
      11-26-2018 04:49 PM #39
      I'm too skeptical. So no.

16. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Cars
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      11-26-2018 06:12 PM #40
      Dude is a douche.
      Tesla should offer test drives.
      I wouldn't buy a used car sight unseen unless it was from a very trusted source and the car was rare. My dad bought his '55 Austin Healey sight unseen out of Australia. First time we saw the car was when we opened up the shipping container and that turned out well but we knew and trusted the guy representing the car and it's a very rare car.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

11-26-2018 06:14 PM #41
      Does "we don't allow test drives without a contract" count?

I tried to drive a C63 a few years ago at a 'high end' used car dealer and they said no test drives. The old crazy Euro salespuke even told me that he'd had some guy come in and almost get in a fist fight over the policy.

Whatever. I moved on. Screw that crap.

18. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Cars
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      11-26-2018 06:17 PM #42
      New halo/special edition car? maybe, but they better have one they use for "test drives". An Audi dealer wouldnt let me test drive their RS3 unless I was ready to sign paper work. That I understand. But a used car that already has miles on it? Absolutely not.

19. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      11-26-2018 06:34 PM #43
      I've bought three used cars in the last six months.

I drove none of them before the dealer had a check. I just don't care.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

Cars
      '08 Acura TL
      11-26-2018 08:37 PM #44
      Absolutely not. No test drive = I'm assuming you have something to hide, whether it's a Tesla or a Yugo.

Cars
      '08 Acura TL
      11-26-2018 08:42 PM #45

CPO literally means it comes with a warranty - and that's it. And yes, you're supposed to inspect it just like any other used car. Steve Lehto has done a number of videos on the subject.

Cars
      2018 ATS 2.0T 6 speed manual, 2014 RDX, 1989 VW Cabriolet
      01-18-2019 07:20 AM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
      So what should he do with his child when he's going to pick up the car he's purchasing?
      Leave it at home with the wife and take a train or a bus.
      That is what I did when I bought my Mustang GT convertible. I took a bus 3 hours, and the sales guy picked me up at the bus station.

Cars
      '17 CarTruck, '17 Alltrack
      01-18-2019 08:15 AM #47
      have walked into audi/porsche/bmw and test drove new and cpo without a bat of eye. local porsche dealer offered to have me take the vehicle home for the day/night since my wife was busy and could not check it out. (should have bought it ).

local dodge dealerships was no go for test drive on a durango SRT (but offered r/t ), walked over to jeep side and no issues with their SRT

walked into a vw dealership for a new R32 and no test drive. still bought it.

Cars
      2015 Passat "Limited Edition"
      01-18-2019 08:36 AM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by rich! View Post
      have walked into audi/porsche/bmw and test drove new and cpo without a bat of eye. local porsche dealer offered to have me take the vehicle home for the day/night since my wife was busy and could not check it out. (should have bought it ).

local dodge dealerships was no go for test drive on a durango SRT (but offered r/t ), walked over to jeep side and no issues with their SRT

walked into a vw dealership for a new R32 and no test drive. still bought it.
      Ahh the old puppy dog sales close - "Honey, it followed me home....Can I keep it? Please?? Pleeeeaaaasssseeeee??????

Cars
      '17 CarTruck, '17 Alltrack
      01-18-2019 08:49 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
      Ahh the old puppy dog sales close - "Honey, it followed me home....Can I keep it? Please?? Pleeeeaaaasssseeeee??????
      heh. no take backsies.

Cars
      2017 A5
      01-18-2019 09:19 AM #50
      i wouldnt be comfortable without a test drive
      Quote Originally Posted by westopher View Post
      If you want to spend a bunch of money for something to look at, buy a painting. I'll happily drive my car til its worth nothing.
      Quote Originally Posted by JalopnikMatt View Post
      Since my presence has been requested, Beetlejuice-style, I'll address the current controversy:
      Yes, the Prius is the greatest car ever made.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast