Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839 LastLast
      Cars
      GTI
      04-15-2019 10:06 AM #876
      I think the performance that Vettel is showing or mistakes under pressure that he's showing are what is going to driver the Scuderia to bring Mick Schumacher into the fold sooner than later.
      Look at this quote from Mattia Binotto

"I don't think he's looking very similar to Michael but the way he's behaving is very similar," Binotto, who worked closely with the champion during a golden era at Ferrari that ended in 2006, told reporters at the Chinese Grand Prix on Friday."The way he approaches the exercise and the way he's interested in the car, discussing it with the technicians," he added.
      "So even in Maranello, you are looking after him but he's always in the workshop looking at the car, speaking with the mechanics, and I think that's very similar to his father."
      Maybe it's that passion and drive that they need. Michael transformed Ferrari with personnel and with his drive and maybe Mick can do the same.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      04-15-2019 02:08 PM #877
      Quote Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post
      Can confirm
      Four hours of sweating and my heart pounding. Have never been so nervous during a sporting event, and certainly not for that long.

Cars
      16v I4, Supercharged V6, Gas drinking V8, High revving V10
      04-15-2019 02:12 PM #878
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      Four hours of sweating and my heart pounding. Have never been so nervous during a sporting event, and certainly not for that long.
      I was so into it I listened to it on the ****ing radio

And people think golf is boring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

Cars
      A domestic and an import, but not beer.
      04-15-2019 06:56 PM #879
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      Four hours of sweating and my heart pounding.
      If it was longer than four hours, you should see a physician immediately.
      Smooremin: "Dont worry. My corset really fills me out ."
      Sold Over Sticker: "The only difference between innuendo and flirting is the desired result. "
      KidL: "Dammit, Chippy! You're making bad choices!"

Cars
      M44/40F20CS65
      04-15-2019 07:09 PM #880
      Quote Originally Posted by EPilot View Post
      I think the performance that Vettel is showing or mistakes under pressure that he's showing are what is going to driver the Scuderia to bring Mick Schumacher into the fold sooner than later.
      Look at this quote from Mattia Binotto

Maybe it's that passion and drive that they need. Michael transformed Ferrari with personnel and with his drive and maybe Mick can do the same.

Schumi made mistakes under pressure too. Granted Vettel has probably been making more of late. However, Vettel is very much into the team like Schumacher was, really studying the technical aspects and looking to improve the car.

His first four years were unfortunately marred by poor management within the team, which has shaken his confidence. On a recent podcast, Newey was mentioning how some drivers really need the team around them in order for them to perform at their best. He didn't mention Vettel, as the context was Newey's early years in F1, but I feel Vettel is much the same way. Also, in addition to that, he needs a car with rear-end that's very planted, and that seems to be the issue this year, as it was with the 2014 RBR.

The main issue I see with Vettel is his inability to drive around the car's inherent shortcomings, unlike say Alonso would do. Hamilton does too, to maybe a slightly lesser extent, but at least he's been in a very stable team for the last 7 years. But give him a car that suits his driving style, and he's very hard to catch, as we saw at RBR for 4 years.

I don't know if Mick Schumacher has enough experience to rally the team around him like his dad did. I think it's unfair to expect that of him. It would be great if he does that have that inherent ability, but he'll need the technical experience to go with it for it to be effective. Hopefully he does well this year in F2 and gets himself into F1 on his own merit. He's currently 8th in points, after two races (two rounds at Bahrain two weeks ago).

04-16-2019 06:15 AM #881
      In one of the Netflix F1 series episode, they focused on Sauber. And apparently during the last couple of years, the team couldn't use their wind tunnel. And why they couldn't use their own wind tunnel??? They couldn't afford the electric bill

I guess even if they rented out their wind tunnel to other parties, it wouldn't be enough to cover the electric bill??? But I hope now with FCA/Alfa Romeo money, paying the electric bill is no longer a problem.

Cars
      R32, B7
      04-16-2019 09:17 AM #882
      Quote Originally Posted by mx5er View Post
      In one of the Netflix F1 series episode, they focused on Sauber. And apparently during the last couple of years, the team couldn't use their wind tunnel. And why they couldn't use their own wind tunnel??? They couldn't afford the electric bill

I guess even if they rented out their wind tunnel to other parties, it wouldn't be enough to cover the electric bill??? But I hope now with FCA/Alfa Romeo money, paying the electric bill is no longer a problem.
      you would think their billing would include facility fees, such as electricity. when we test in cold cells, we definitely pay for everything so we make sure to best utilize our time.
      welcome to the layer cake

Cars
      '07 Civic Hy, '93 940, '17 NPS50
      04-16-2019 09:19 AM #883
      Quote Originally Posted by mx5er View Post

My Flickr // IG - @mwoodski
      Quote Originally Posted by Matt
      I have literally zero experience with snow, but it seems to me that if it was raining and there was slush/snow still on the ground, I'd just wash it away with the hose rather than using a shovel. Sure it may freeze overnight, but if it's already raining, it's already going to be wet and freeze anyway, right?

Cars
      2011 SAAB 9-5, 2013 Ford Fusion
      04-16-2019 10:52 AM #884
      Last edited by MontoyaF1; 04-16-2019 at 10:54 AM.
      Learn what the bible really says about the End Times:

http://www.bibleprophecytruth.com

11. This is me, 👇. Chillin’ like a bike villain! Metallitubby's Avatar
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      04-16-2019 10:59 AM #885
      Wow.
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

Cars
      04-16-2019 11:08 AM #886
      Incredible.
      I have literally zero experience with snow, but it seems to me that if it was raining and there was slush/snow still on the ground, I'd just wash it away with the hose rather than using a shovel. Sure it may freeze overnight, but if it's already raining, it's already going to be wet and freeze anyway, right?

13. 04-16-2019 11:24 AM #887
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      Schumi made mistakes under pressure too. Granted Vettel has probably been making more of late. However, Vettel is very much into the team like Schumacher was, really studying the technical aspects and looking to improve the car.

His first four years were unfortunately marred by poor management within the team, which has shaken his confidence. On a recent podcast, Newey was mentioning how some drivers really need the team around them in order for them to perform at their best. He didn't mention Vettel, as the context was Newey's early years in F1, but I feel Vettel is much the same way. Also, in addition to that, he needs a car with rear-end that's very planted, and that seems to be the issue this year, as it was with the 2014 RBR.

The main issue I see with Vettel is his inability to drive around the car's inherent shortcomings, unlike say Alonso would do. Hamilton does too, to maybe a slightly lesser extent, but at least he's been in a very stable team for the last 7 years. But give him a car that suits his driving style, and he's very hard to catch, as we saw at RBR for 4 years.

I don't know if Mick Schumacher has enough experience to rally the team around him like his dad did. I think it's unfair to expect that of him. It would be great if he does that have that inherent ability, but he'll need the technical experience to go with it for it to be effective. Hopefully he does well this year in F2 and gets himself into F1 on his own merit. He's currently 8th in points, after two races (two rounds at Bahrain two weeks ago).
      In bold, this is true. It's the driver's job to get the maximum out of the package given. Hamilton was in the weeds on set up in China but he said he had to change his driving style to get the platform to work for him.

As Vettel struggles Leclerc is doing better with the same car. Ferrari would have been better off points wise to have just let them race instead of favoring Vettel:

"Had they let them race in China, and prioritised the lead driver at pit stops as is normal practice in F1, Leclerc would have finished third, not Vettel.

That would give Leclerc seven more points than he has now - and put him 25 points behind Hamilton, as well as ahead of Verstappen into third place overall. So, ironically, Ferrari would potentially be in a better position in the championship had they not pursued a policy aimed at maximising their position in the championship."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/47926537

Cars
      M44/40F20CS65
      04-16-2019 12:03 PM #888
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      As Vettel struggles Leclerc is doing better with the same car. Ferrari would have been better off points wise to have just let them race instead of favoring Vettel:

"Had they let them race in China, and prioritised the lead driver at pit stops as is normal practice in F1, Leclerc would have finished third, not Vettel.

That would give Leclerc seven more points than he has now - and put him 25 points behind Hamilton, as well as ahead of Verstappen into third place overall. So, ironically, Ferrari would potentially be in a better position in the championship had they not pursued a policy aimed at maximising their position in the championship."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/47926537
      I agree to some extent on having left them as is, but for one, I don't think they realized how the rest of the race would pan out, particularity it being a two stopper. Verstappen triggered that, and that doomed Ferrari's strategy.

More critically, Vettel was stuck behind Leclerc for too long, and that cost him his front tires, and he then tried to push extra hard once he was passed, but that only led to a few lockups and that was pretty much game over for Vettel.

However, over the weekend, Vettel was faster than Leclerc in general.

I think at the moment, they're evenly matched in terms of pure speed, with some tracks favoring Vettel's driving style, and others favoring Leclerc's.

But you're right in that Ferrari's shortsightedness cost them third in the driver's championship. They're lucky Gasly has been struggling, otherwise they could see RBR ahead of them in the constructors'.

As an outsider, my perception is that Ferrari the last few years has really lacked a "what if?" type of analysis for various strategies. It's like they're caught off guard when others make certain moves, or the race doesn't go as planned. Mercedes on the other hand seems to either be able to calculate revised strategies in real time, or has done more prep work for various potential outcomes.

Cars
      R32, B7
      04-16-2019 02:13 PM #889
      Quote Originally Posted by Formula 1 interested in adding second race in China
      Sean Bratches, the sport's commercial boss, said he favoured a street race and was meeting delegates from six potential host cities this week.

"We would be highly interested in a street race," he said.

"It would be a nice juxtaposition to the purpose-built facility we have [in Shanghai]. Our intent is to bring our show to the people."

Beijing is known to be one of the cities under consideration for the race.

If F1 is successful, it would be the second new race to be established in Asia since the US group Liberty Media took control.

The Vietnamese capital Hanoi is making its debut on the calendar with a street track in 2020.
      https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/47951936

ok.
      welcome to the layer cake

Cars
      04-16-2019 02:16 PM #890
      Quote Originally Posted by n0rdicalex. View Post
      bring back the jingkai circuit

Last edited by Woodski; 04-16-2019 at 02:39 PM.

17. This is me, 👇. Chillin’ like a bike villain! Metallitubby's Avatar
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      04-16-2019 02:31 PM #891
      Just use the same name, but add a second location ala:

Cars
      04-16-2019 02:39 PM #892
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Just use the same name, but add a second location ala:

Shanghai 2 : Electric Boogaloo

Cars
      M44/40F20CS65
      04-16-2019 02:41 PM #893
      Screw it. Just do a street race in super dense Hong Kong and call it a day. At least there won't be a giant layer of smog, and the background will be great. And it's easily accessed via all surrounding areas from Shenzen, to Macau, to Guangzhou.

20. This is me, 👇. Chillin’ like a bike villain! Metallitubby's Avatar
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      04-16-2019 02:44 PM #894
      it's easily accessed via all surrounding areas from Shenzen, to Macau, to Guangzhou.
      Orrrrr, just have a street race in Macau

Cars
      04-16-2019 02:55 PM #895
      Screw it. Just do a street race in super dense Hong Kong and call it a day. At least there won't be a giant layer of smog, and the background will be great. And it's easily accessed via all surrounding areas from Shenzen, to Macau, to Guangzhou.
      The non-championship Shanghai DTM race in 2004 ruled.

and it took place around some goofy ass buildings.

Last edited by Woodski; 04-16-2019 at 02:58 PM.

04-16-2019 02:59 PM #896

As an outsider, my perception is that Ferrari the last few years has really lacked a "what if?" type of analysis for various strategies. It's like they're caught off guard when others make certain moves, or the race doesn't go as planned. Mercedes on the other hand seems to either be able to calculate revised strategies in real time, or has done more prep work for various potential outcomes.
      - I get the same impression - if Mercedes forces their hand with an undercut or some mid-race variable comes up Ferrari seems a bit caught out and reactive - where Mercedes and Red Bull seem like they have a bit more of a plan or scenario cooked up and they just flip to the "Grossjean hit someone on lap 4" or "VSC in lap X to lap Y window" card and execute the related strategy.

- In the car vs. driver importance discussion I think tradition says its the combination that matters most of the time. Although Mercedes knocked the V6/hybrid formula so far out of the park initially that maybe most F1-caliber drivers could have taken or title or 3 in those cars early on. That said they seem to have been refining and evolving a car that most of the time suits a super-talented lead driver for the last 6 years with a few minor missteps here or there while everyone else is trying to develop in big chunks to close the gap. Merc is putting an F1-derived powertrain in a limited production car with some semblance of a warranty........... Renault has yet to get a pair of works cars across the finish line this season.

I wonder how 'tunable' these cars are to suit driver's styles. RIC seems to be not quite on top of the Renault's brakes, GAS isn't yet at home in the Red Bull, Kimi has been great to watch but GIO seems out of sorts in the same car. Seems they can do quite a bit with the diff settings, brake balance and myriad things with power outputs, energy recovery/storage/application but if the fundamental balance doesn't suit you you're kind of SOL. Like if you want more compliance or roll - too bad - if the car lists or pitches the aero doesn't work right and that trumps your comfort or preferences. Or in the extreme of last year's (?) McLaren - the car gets steering angle or yaw and the downforce just goes away.

- This has been an interesting off-season and season - to the extent that I don't really know who I'm pulling for.

I love that Honda is finding some performance and their pseudo-works relationship with Red Bull is exciting.

I want Haas to do well as the Americans in the game even if they are raiding the Ferrari parts catalog, Williams may want to see if Merc has a Prime membership available to the Brackley parts store. (Odd tidbit - I typed 'Brackley F1' into Google to make see if I had the town right - it suggested 'Brackley F1 jobs' which I clicked - and there are a ton of them posted - interesting - especially if any of you are aerodynamicists or composites engineers looking for work).

The latest wave of young drivers/rookies is pretty amazing.

Team orders are pretty awful - Ferrari raining on everyone's enjoyment with them thus far.

Hopefully amazon/drive to survive has access to all the teams this year - it would be interesting to see behind the scenes and beyond the media interpretations of some of the stories/events thus far.

Cars
      04-16-2019 03:00 PM #897
      Ferrari's form is literally how they were pre-MSC.

Cars
      M44/40F20CS65
      04-16-2019 03:12 PM #898
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Orrrrr, just have a street race in Macau

If the Macau race wasn't an institution, I'd say just replace it with F1. But since F3 is no longer what it used to be, the Macau race is still a big achievement for up and coming drivers. So I say leave that as is, but that general area of China is much better for visitors, and makes for a much more spectacular location than a large metropolitan city like Beijing. It could be like Singapore, but

Cars
      M44/40F20CS65
      04-16-2019 03:15 PM #899
      Quote Originally Posted by bRett 32 View Post

Team orders are pretty awful - Ferrari raining on everyone's enjoyment with them thus far.
      Maybe we can ban team orders again.

"Sebastian might be faster than you."

26. 04-16-2019 05:11 PM #900
      Maybe we can ban team orders again.

"Sebastian might be faster than you."
      With Gasly doing about as poorly as I thought and Ricciardo making news just by finishing (albeit a lap down ), the Vettel/Leclerc battle is The story of F1.

The build up to Baku will be awesome. The pressure is on, Vettel has left himself with no room for error. He has to out qualify Leclerc and pass by his own pace. If not and he's out qualified and/or Ferrari makes Leclerc move over, Vettel will face the worst post race interview if his career.

I can't wait for Baku practice and qualy to see how they all go.

Meanwhile in all of this Leclerc is becoming a fan fave. People like an underdog with the team and odds stacked against them, a good backstory and incredible talent. Sounds much like Hamilton's start against Alonso.

Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839 LastLast