VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

A Big Turbo B6 Passat Build – Comfy Commuter/Sleeper & Weekend Track Warrior

13K views 34 replies 5 participants last post by  ROH ECHT 
#1 · (Edited)
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Also available in Word Doc form on my Google Drive for those who prefer it AND in case VWVortex makes old posts un-editable which would make properly updating my build thread impossible (already happened to my build thread on the Passat World forum). If that happens I will stop updating the VWVortex threads BUT will continue updating the Word Doc version in the link below. With pictures imbedded, the Google Doc version is too large to view in Google "preview" mode so you need to download it

Google Doc / Word Doc Format Build Thread:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1V8BucTtzSt_ggjMMnx9RlahpCfS0eX2m

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Instagram: @track_rat_passat
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChT0LKYGGW2-t54PIpMuVUQ?view_as=subscriber

Preface

I purchased my B6 completely stock, with 50K miles on it, in Summer 2014. I began this build thread in Winter 2018 on the heels of completing my Big Turbo build (Summer 2018). I did quite a lot in those interim 4 years and a large chunk of this build thread is devoted to retroactively covering that. However, this highlights an inherent problem with that retroactive chunk of the build thread… I hadn’t planned to make a build thread. So I don’t have pics for a lot of stuff I should, nor do I have many mid-install/DIY pics, and frankly even my timeline for when I did stuff throughout those 4 years is probably not totally accurate. So you won’t get to follow the progress as it goes from the ground up like a lot of build threads, which is something I sincerely regret, but from here onward you will because now that the build thread is here I plan to go forward updating it and treating it like your typical build thread.

HOWEVER, I should make it perfectly clear up-front that this is NOT your typical build thread. If “build thread” were a genre of its own I’d have to classify this as something else because while it is a build thread at heart it may also read at times as a “review thread” and at other times as sort of a history or retelling of the events and decisions I made with the car. The bulk of this build thread is in a more detailed narrative and chronological format. I will go into significant depth as to why I chose the mods/parts I chose, based on research and, in some cases, getting lots of hands-on exposure to the mod/part selections other enthusiasts made for their cars in order to inform my decisions even more. I will also at times possibly go into depth about even more mundane things I did with the car. The idea is that bringing up anything and everything opens up opportunities to educate readers or spawn questions on, well, anything and everything… I like to be comprehensive and I don’t want to assume any particular level of knowledge of any given reader. I recognize that these stylistic choices are not to everyone’s taste and that it means the build thread will be very lengthy, possibly dry or “fluffy” at times, etc. and that this may even ostracize some readers… That’s fine because my primary goal is always to educate/help, and my secondary goal of the thread is as sort of documentation of mine and my car’s journey for myself. It is my hope that anyone who actually has the interest to make it through this novella of a build thread will walk away very informed and with a clear idea how to go about their own builds.

Table of Contents (for major posts)

***Note: A majority of the posts mentioned below are retrospective posts on work completed long before I began this build thread. I was able to keep most of them consecutive because I reserved those posts right away when I started the thread… Unfortunately I didn’t have the foresight to reserve enough posts so some posts covering work that came AFTER I began this build thread are/will be scattered throughout the thread but their post numbers will be tracked in the below Table of Contents… Topics for which I go into extra-thorough detail, more than usual even, will be noted with BOLD text below

Post #1 (this post) ---------------------------------------------------- Factory specs vs. modded specs; full mod list; potential future mods section; external resources; changelog (thread update history)

Post #2 ---------------------------------------------------------------- Intro to car and what to expect from this thread; first pics totally stock

Post #3 ---------------------------------------------------------------- First “mod”; some maintenance tips; new wheels; new grille; tire choices/info

Post #4 ---------------------------------------------------------------- Software tuning (“shelf“ and “custom”); cold air intakes; PCV system; and catch cans; new wheels; shifter upgrades; maintenance tips

Post #5 ---------------------------------------------------------------- Full turboback exhaust; HPFP upgrade; stiffer engine/trans mounts

Post #6 ---------------------------------------------------------------- Clutch kits/parts; Raceseng shift knob; P3Cars multi-gauge; additional maintenance tips

Post #7 ---------------------------------------------------------------- Big brake (BBK) upgrades; pads; rotors; brake fluids

Post #8 ---------------------------------------------------------------- Suspension items, including: struts/shocks/springs; strut mounts; end links; sway bars; control arm bushings; subframe mounts/mods

Post #9 ---------------------------------------------------------------- Lots of miscellaneous mods/parts over the years that don’t fit a particular chronology

Post #10 -------------------------------------------------------------- Miscellaneous maintenance and troubleshooting/diagnosis tips from over the years that don’t fit a particular chronology; ALSO, a couple sort-of DIY guides

Post #11 -------------------------------------------------------------- Suspension alignment; race pads/track tires; REAR suspension modifications; mount modifications made for a more track-oriented car

Post #12 -------------------------------------------------------------- Turbo upgrade considerations; turbo wastegates/boost control functionality; some matters of tuning

Post #13 -------------------------------------------------------------- Stock engine limitations; Fluidampr pulley; fueling upgrades; intake manifolds upgrades

Post #14 -------------------------------------------------------------- Air cooling (w/ upgraded intercoolers) and water cooling (w/ upgraded radiators)

Post #23 --------------------------------------------------------------- Feedback on Grams Performance 70mm throttle body and info on ECU air/fuel ratio calcs and strategies that pertain throttle body upgrades

Factory Specs

***Note: In addition to just presenting some baseline factory specs, some of the below are mentioned to show how the B6 Passat is actually moderately sized as Sedans/Saloons go (at least in the USA) and not all that much larger/heavier than the GTI of the same generation.

Make: Volkswagen (obviously)
Year/Model: 2007 B6 Passat
Engine/code: 2.0T FSI/BPY
Transmission/code: FWD 6-speed manual trans/02M
Horsepower: 200chp
Torque: 207ctq (ft-lbs) OR 280ctq (Nm)
Tachometer redline: 6500RPMs
Curb-weight: 3305 lbs. / 1499kg. (compared to 3161 lbs. / 1434kg. for 6-speed Mk5 FSI GTI)
Power/weight ratio: 0.060 (compared to 0.063 for 6-speed Mk5 FSI GTI)
Length: 15’ 6” / 4.7m (compared to 13’ 8” / 4.2m for Mk5 FSI GTI)
Height: 4’ 10” / 1.47m (same as Mk5 GTI)
Width: ~ 6’ / 1.8m (compared to 5’ 9” / 1.75m for Mk5 FSI GTI)
Drag coefficient: 0.28 Cd. (better than 0.32 Cd. for Mk5 FSI GTI)
Chassis torsional rigidity/stiffness: 32400 Nm/degree (equivalent to a Porsche 911 (977), significantly better than the 25000 Nm/degree of the Mk5 GTI)
0-60mph: 6.6 seconds (compared to 6.1 seconds for Mk5 FSI GTI)
Quarter-mile time/trap speed: 14.8 seconds / trap speed unknown but likely a bit under 100mph (compared to 14.6 seconds for Mk5 FSI GTI and likely trap speed of a bit under or right at 100mph)

Modified Specs

***Note: Below are notable changes to my car's specs that differ from above factory specs. Regarding dyno results, 0-60mph, and quarter-mile stats… I am interested but not obsessed with these figures. I’m much more interested in the drive-ability and well-roundedness of my tune than I am with peak HP/TQ figures just like I’m more interested in not breaking my car than I am in launching my car umpteen times to get excellent 0-60 and quarter-mile stats. I’m not very into aggressively launching my car and I’m not hunting fame for these stats, just enough runs to satisfy my curiosity (and somewhat justify my expenses to myself haha).

Horsepower: ~420chp / 380whp (pending dyno results after I've stopped making changes to my setup)
Torque: ~385ctq / 365wtq (ft-lbs) OR ~520ctq / 495wtq (Nm) - (pending dyno results after I've stopped making changes to my setup)
Tachometer redline: 7400RPMs (w/ custom tuning software)
Curb-weight: 3200 lbs. / 1451kg (105 lbs. / 48kg lighter than factory spec)
Power/weight ratio: 0.131 (if above power figure anticipations are correct)
0-60mph: Of only a few intentionally conservative 0-60 runs (timed accurately by my P3Cars gauge) each was right around 4.3 seconds without building boost or dumping the clutch and with loss of traction on 400AA A rated all-season tires
(suspect 0-60 of 4 seconds or slightly less is easily achievable with aggressive launch and 200AA A or better rated tires)
Quarter-mile time/trap speed: at current power levels on a prepped surface I'm confident I could get a slip somewhere in the high 11-second range or low 12-second range (at worst) with trap speed of 120mph or better, but I'm not going to try until I've built my motor, it's not worth it; I prefer race track driving to drag strip runs anyway. With built motor and maximizing my setups potential, low 11s w/ 120-130mph trap speed is virtually guaranteed.

Modifications List

***Note: I’ll maintain a current list of mods and notable OEM upgrade parts here. This list will always reflect what is currently on the car as the go-to accurate list. Any parts that I chose to replace with another brand/design will be detailed in the thread itself.

Engine:

United Motorsport custom tuning software
Advanced Tuning Products (ATP) GEN 2 stock-location GTX2867R turbocharger kit w/ 22PSI base-pressure wastegate actuator for internal wastegate
Go Fast Bits DV+ (w/ NO piston main spring installed) relocated via custom-machined intake-to-turbo inlet junction pipe
OEM N75 boost control solenoid relocated to a custom-machined bracket bolted to top of engine mount w/ vac lines connected to custom turbo inlet junction pipe
Integrated Engineering high performance intake manifold
Grams Performance 70mm throttle body
BSH Speedshop throttle body pipe
Treadstone Performance TR8 front-mount intercooler (w/ custom 2.5” aluminum piping)
o Neuspeed stock-location intercooler delete brackets (custom-modified to accommodate additional bracketry for external oil cooler mounting)
o Wagner Tuning stock-location performance intercooler (removed as of Fall, 2019)
Mishimoto full-aluminum performance radiator (custom-modified w/ standard hose-barb inlet/outlet ends welded on)
Forge Motorsport cold air intake (filter enclosure painted gloss black)
o Custom bracket to support Forge CAI (prevents contact w/ master cylinder on road bumps)
o Audi Performance and Racing (APR) carbonio cold air intake (removed as of Fall, 2014)
BSH Speedshop intake heatshield (mounted to rear of engine between CAI and exhaust manifold)
Billy Boat Exhaust 3” full turboback exhaust system
Audi RS4 low-pressure fuel pump (modified to fit)
Audi Performance and Racing (APR) high-pressure fuel pump
Tork Motorsports 155-bar fuel pressure relief valve
VW Golf R fuel injectors
BAR-TEK Motorsport internally thermostatted oil cooler flange w/ -6 AN braided nylon hoses to 19-row air-cooled oil cooler (custom mounted directly behind grille for open airflow)
VW Golf R 3-bar manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor
Audi R8 ignition coil packs
NGK BKR8E (gapped @ 0.024)
o NGK BKR7E (no longer used since upgrading to bigger turbo setup, Summer 2018)
Integrated Engineering billet aluminum/black anodized valve cover
Custom positive crankcase ventilation to atmosphere (via -10 AN braided nylon hoses routed to VTA filter fastened at front of exhaust tunnel behind subframe)
o Integrated Engineering catch can system (removed as of Fall, 2019)
o BSH Speedshop competition catch can (removed as of Fall, 2017)
Fluidampr crankshaft harmonic balancer

OEM air condition deleted, including condenser (to improve airflow to radiator), compressor, and all pressure lines (w/ custom block-off plate at firewall entry)
OEM balance shaft assembly deleted from oil pump (eliminates a major risk of oil pump seizure at high revs and reduces rotation weight on crankshaft for faster rev/small increase in power)

Liqui Moly Leichtlauf fully synthetic 5W-40 (for general use - changed at ~5K miles OR 4-month intervals)
Redline fully synthetic ester-based 5W-50 (for warm weather & track use - changed at more frequent, as-needed intervals)
ECS Tuning polished billet aluminum oil filter housing
New South Performance pass-through oil pan drain bolt (to accommodate temperature sensor for oil temp gauge)
o Dimple engine oil drain pan magnetic plug (removed as of Fall, 2019)
Usually Sideways Rally Team (USRT) oil pressure sender adapter (allows use of oil pressure sender for oil pressure gauge while retaining factory low-pressure sender/switch
ECS Tuning black anodized oil dipstick
Porsche 911 aluminum coolant reservoir cap

Transmission:

HS Tuning RSR clutch kit w/ Golf R dual mass flywheel
USP Motorsports stainless steel clutch line
ECS Tuning modified clutch bleeder block
Audi Performance and Racing (APR) adjustable short shifter kit (set to 100% shorter front/back throw & ~75% shorter side-to-side throw)
Audi Performance and Racing (APR) solid shifter cable bracket
ECS Tuning solid shifter cable bushings

Redline MTL (75W-80 GL4) gear oil
Dimple gearbox magnetic plug

Suspension/subframe/mounts:

KMD Tuning front subframe brace (mounted w/ ARP bolts)
Stern rear subframe brace (painted gloss black)
Ultra Racing strut brace (painted gloss black)
Ultra Racing mid-chassis/underbody brace
H&R 26mm front sway bar (set to soft = ~130% stiffer than stock)
H&R 24mm rear sway bar (set to firm = ~270% stiffer than stock)
SuperPro front/rear adjustable end links (installed at curb weight!.. details in thread)
034 Motorsports street density (60A) front strut mounts
Koni “Yellow” adjustable sport struts/shocks (front and rear set 1/8-turn from full-stiff)
Vogtland sport springs (1.6” lower)
Torque Solution track density (75A) motor/trans mounts
o 034 Motorsports street density (60A) motor/trans mounts (removed as of late Spring, 2018)
Custom-machined subframe dogbone pendulum w/ track density (75A) polyurethane bushing
VWR/Racingline subframe dogbone mounts
TyrolSport front/rear subframe rigid locking collars + ARP bolts
OEM B6 Passat lightweight aluminum front lower control arms (LCAs)
o SuperPro front LCA race density (95A) polyurethane bushings
o SuperPro front LCA street density (80A) polyurethane bushings (removed Summer, 2019)
Powerflex race density (90A) rear LCA polyurethane bushings (arms & entire rear subframe painted gloss black)
034 Motorsport adjustable rear upper control arms w/ 90A polyurethane bushings
Powerflex race density (90A) rear trailing arm polyurethane bushings (arms & spindle painted gloss black)
034 Motorsport adjustable rear toe arms w/ 90A polyurethane bushings
o Spulen adjustable rear toe arms w/ pillow-ball bearings (removed as of Summer, 2018)

Braking:

TyrolSport master cylinder brace (modified to fit w/ APR short shifter kit)
StopTech ST-40 front “big brake” kit, including:
o StopTech ST-40 front brake calipers w/ custom powder-coating
o StopTech 2-piece slotted AeroRotors (328mm x 28mm)
o StopTech stainless steel brake lines
o StopTech sport front brake pads for ST-40 BBK (stopped using as of Fall, 2018)
o Porterfield R4-S front brake pads for ST-40 BBK (used for performance street/autocross)
o Porterfield R4 front race brake pads for ST-40BBK (used for track ONLY)
OEM rear brake setup (painted in high-temp gloss black)
o StopTech slotted rear rotors (OE size)
o Adam's slotted rear rotors (OE size - removed as of Fall, 2018)
o Porterfield R4-S rear brake pads (used for performance street/autocross)
o Porterfield R4 rear race brake pads (used for track ONLY)

ATE Typ200 brake fluid (used outside of track season)
Castrol SRF racing brake fluid (used during track season)

Exterior:

ECS Tuning front grille replacement (painted gloss black to match body)
Depo Smoked black front bumper side markers/indicators (now w/ orange bulbs inside to retain function when using turn signal)

Interior:

Raceseng "Slammer" polished stainless steel shift knob
P3Cars VIDI multi-gauge in analogue vacuum/boost reading configuration (w/ blue and red lighting to match OEM interior lighting)
New South Performance oil temperature gauge mounted in steering wheel column pod (w/ blue and red lighting to match OEM interior lighting) and temp sensor in oil pan
New South Performance oil pressure gauge mounted in steering wheel column pod (w/ blue and red lighting to match OEM interior lighting) and pressure sensor sharing same location as factory low-pressure switch/sender
Vantrue N2 front/rear dash cam (mounted to rear-view mirror stalk & stealthily wired to dash-mounted parking-mode on/off switch + power management system)
GoPro HERO7 Silver camera mounted to helmet for cockpit view during track racing sessions (onboard GPS allows video overlays for speed, track layout, and more)
o GoPro HERO4 Silver camera mounted to top of rear seat assembly for rear view during track racing sessions
o GoPro HERO4 Session camera mounted to steering column for instrument cluster view during track racing sessions
Pioneer X6600BT single-din, bluetooth-enabled headunit (w/ blue and red lighting theme to match OEM B6 Passat dash lighting)
Johnson Window Films 35% window tint all-around (excluding front windshield)
WeatherTech sun shade
WeatherTech black floor and trunk liners
The Bracketeer fire extinguisher mounting bracket (under front of driver’s seat)

Wheels/tires:

Neuspeed 18x9" RSe11R hyper silver wheels - 45mm offset - 19lbs. each (for track tires)
o Hankook 255/35R18 Ventus R-S4 extreme performance summer tires (for track and Summer-only street use)
Motegi Racing 18x8.5" MR140 hyper silver wheels - 45mm offset - 19lbs. each (for street tires)
o BFGoodrich 255/35R18 Sport Comp 2 ultra high-performance A/S tires (for general street use outside of Summer)
Enkei 18x8” M52 “Hyperblack” (dark silver) wheels - 45mm offset - 21lbs. each (previously for street tires from 2017 to early 2020 - sold in favor of wider wheel/tire set)
o BFGoodrich 225/40R18 Sport Comp 2 ultra high-performance A/S tires (previously used as street tire until Enkeis sold in early 2020)
o ECS Tuning 10mm (front) & 15mm (rear) black anodized, hub-centric wheels spacers (previously used ONLY with Enkei M52/BFG SC2 wheel/tire set for street until early 2020)
OEM 16x7" Catalunya silver wheels (previously used for Winter tires until 2017 - have used my Silverado pickup for Winter driving since then)
o Dunlop 215/60R16 Wintersport 3D performance winter tires (no longer used - have not used car in snowy/salty conditions since before 2017)

What’s Next?

***Note: The below is a tentative (and probably very optimistic) plan of mods that I would like to do at some point in the future, sorted by time/opportunity as opposed to category like above; some are much more likely than others (i.e the cosmetic mods are very unlikely because I value function over form without hesitation).

Imminent - Early 2020:

• Install WMI w/ post-turbo + post-intercooler + direct port injection nozzles for COOLING only, NOT to tune for additional power (this setup will allow dramatically lower intake air temps, combustion temps, exhaust gas temps, and thus a happier engine/turbo)

Late 2020:

• Consider replacing ATP exhaust manifold with tubular exhaust manifold
o Apply Swaintech thermal coating to either manifold (and downpipe)
• Switch to Tial 38mm MVS external wastegate setup
o Explore simulated boost-by-gear tuning parameters using VSS and RPM signals as inputs (since manual trans gives no electronic reference for currently selected gear)

If/when trans-related repairs needed:

• South Bend stage 3 w/ SMF (friction disc option pending robustness of RSR at track)
o If opting for endurance/race clutch, will consider SRE clutch options as alternative
• Wavetrac LSD (may consider a new/low-mileage trans swap first pending circumstances leading to timeliness of this upgrade)
o Have old or "new" trans cleaned and powder-coated (only if timing and price is right)
• OE steel shift forks (02M311549Q)
o Shift fork bronze sliders (SQS)
• 4th gear input shaft support (Darkside Dev)
• Gearbox reinforcement plate (Darskide Dev)
• Main shaft re-enforcements
• Differential rivets-to-bolts swap
• Upgraded syncros (if available – [ending research)
• AWD conversion from 4Motion B6 Passat (likely never, but one can dream…)

Pending assessment of stock motor longevity:

• Refresh & rebuild/upgrade engine & internals (rods/pistons/timing gear/main & rod bearings/main caps/ARP bolts & studs)
o Have block/head cleaned and powdercoated where possible
• Upgrade injectors OR add 5th port injector to intake manifold
• Upgrade LPF supply with auxiliary pump OR PM3 module to increase fueling output

Likely never (at least not until car is retired from track use):

• Duraflex, Rieger, Cupra R, or Votex lip spoiler
• Further grille/bumper & other body modifications
o R36 front bumper/grille, or VW hi-def RGT body kit, or RS4 body kit
• Fog lights (maybe, but only if they project clear lighting not yellowed lighting)
• Depo smoked factory style headlights modified w/ halo rings and LED strips
• R36 OEM taillights OR Depo smoked factory style taillights (if available)
o For either, perform Skyline taillight mod and taillight running condition changes
• SRS-Tec or other wider front/rear fenders to accommodate wider wheels

[RESOURCES] - Below are some self-study materials; technical materials in PDF format (hosted on my Google Drive), some random resource threads that I've either posted info in or found helpful over the years myself, and a link to another build thread for VERY well done Mk6 GTI track car owned by a good friend of mine

FSI Design & Function Manual: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bzeazv76x9MXUjF1a1FSUFJkdFE
FSI Technical Data & Specifications Book: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1igHOT69IsNg-oE3TTT09uh8D_X5ya9-u
STASIS Guide For Many Engine & Turbo Jobs: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bzeazv76x9MXdHN3VXd1UnJnZGc

Miscellaneous threads:
http://racetrackdriving.com/car-setup/track-alignment/
http://www.stoptech.com/technical-s...ias-and-performance-why-brake-balance-matters
http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/CLUTCH/
https://www.phoenixfriction.com/t-cl...explained.aspx
https://www.enginebasics.com/Advanced Engine Tuning/Intercooler Efficency Test .html
https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66367
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?8819306-Let-s-talk-brakes
https://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173203
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?8774745-Sway-Bar-End-Link-Question
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?8980465-Koni-Yellow-settings-MK6-GLi
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?8747154-Metallic-whine
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthr...-WOT-only-Seemingly-NO-boost-loss-or-vac-leak!
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?8856297-Wastegate-Behavior
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?9283713-Upgrade-internal-wastegate
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?9275547-2013-GLI-Big-Turbo-Eurodyne-Maestro-7
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?8846737-How-much-hp-can-stock-block-hold
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?8771033-What-kind-of-oil-for-a-2007-Passat
https://www.passatworld.com/forums/...97-2009-vw-passat-2-0t-sedan-reliability.html
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?8828393-Average-life-expectancy-of-2-0T-FSI
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthr...cing-oil-filter-housing-cooler-on-Mk5-GTI-FSI
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?9123721-GTI-2-0-TSI-Air-Conditioner-Issue-maybe
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?8725273-MK5-Brake-Hissing
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?8747154-Metallic-whine

Friends Mk6 GTI Track Car Build Thread:
https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115417

[Build Thread Changelog]

- 11/18/18: Original build thread posts
- 11/24/18: Suspension/subframe post
- 11/26/18: Added 20+ new pics for more eye-candy
- 12/02/18: Added details regarding catch cans vs. block-off plate-only setups
- 12/19/18: Significant additions to detail in clutch information/options
- 01/25/19: Added details regarding solving a noise issue you may develop when installing a catch can or block-off plate; added useful self-study and tech materials to the resources section
- 01/26/19: Added further detail to tuning subjects section
- 03/05/19: Added part additions for upcoming track season to mod list (post w/ details on these parts and installs will come later)
- 03/29/19: Significant additions to detail of brake section (primarily pad, rotor, and brake fluid selection info)
- 05/27/19: Re-organized and added details to mods list; additional details to tuning section; fixed some typos
- 06/02/19: Added new post with miscellaneous mods/parts installed over the years that don’t fit a particular chronology; also added table of contents for easier navigation
- 06/14/19: Added new post which contains maintenance and troubleshooting experiences/tips as well as a couple sort-of DIY guides
- 07/12/19: Added new post which covers a significant turning point for the objective of the car, primarily rear suspension work (lots of pics) and other stiffening mods for full track prep
- 07/16/19: Added new post which covers my experience/feedback on the Grams Performance 70mm throttle body and significant details about ECU fuel trim calculations and AFR info pertaining to the Grams TB operation
- 09/14/19: Added custom-machined subframe dogbone pendulum pictures/info to rear-suspension post; also made slight updates to mod list, introductory post, tuning discussion, and a couple other places
- 11/10/19: Fixed typos, formatting, and added some (probably) inconsequential details to a few posts
- 11/11/19: Cloned thread over to Google Docs and will maintain it as well, in case VWVortex removes the ability to edit old posts (which would ruin my ability to properly maintain it on VWVortex and drive me nuts)… already happened on Passat World forum
- 11/14/19: Added Instagram and YouTube Channel info to top of main post
- 12/07/19: Added new post which covers substantial info on turbo upgrade considerations, turbo wastegates and boost control functionality, and some matters of tuning
- 01/04/20: Merged post a couple earlier posts to shift all subsequent posts up one and make room for the 2 new posts coming up which should be kept together
- 01/05/20: Added 2 new posts which cover substantial info on stock engine limitations, Fluidampr pulley, fueling system upgrades, upgraded intake manifolds, upgraded intercoolers and radiators
- Next upcoming post: Prep for 2020 track season, including: full AC system delete, oil pump balance shaft delete, intercooler and radiator changes, external oil cooler system, oil temp and oil pressure gauges, switch from catch can to PCV vent-to-atmosphere setup, and several suspension/chassis braces

See less See more
#31 ·
BIG UPDATE!

I finally finished the second half of the big turbo build project and many related supporting parts! Turns out my previous post about being 75% done was way off because I got carried away once I got back into writing it, as I usually do, and went into frankly gross technical depth on a few of the subjects, mainly intercooling. So I had to split it into 2 different posts due to character limits. I merged 2 much earlier posts (#4 and #5) into one to make some room for the now 3 total posts spanning the big turbo project details.

Here's what to expect loads of detail on:

Post #13: Stock engine limitations; Fluidampr pulley; fueling upgrades; intake manifolds upgrades

Post #14: Air cooling (w/ upgraded intercoolers) and water cooling (w/ upgraded radiators)

#32 ·
NEW WHEELS!

Got new wheels delivered today. Neuspeed Hyper Silver RSe11R 18x9" w/ 45mm offset, hub bore 57.1mm so no hub rings needed, and only 19lbs. per wheel. Amazingly light for the size of the wheel. They should be strong though as they are flow-form casted which is a process similar to forging and yields pretty close strength.

These will be paired with my Summer/track tires (currently 255/35R18 Hankook Ventus R-S4 200AA A tires).

Just unboxed and inspected them for today, won't be mounting tires for a few months until the track season starts. Finish is superb and although I did get these wheels mainly for their specs I do like the spoke design as it is simple and understated. I don't like wheels that scream for too much attention. All things considered, Neuspeed hits it out of the park with this wheel.

Can't wait to get them mounted!

#33 · (Edited)
I spent a bunch of time cleaning up and re-ordered the track video I posted in September. It is now only 8 mins long, but it used to be 23 mins long because it contained dash cam front-view and rear-view recordings one after the other. With new editing software I have overlayed the rear-view recording into the corner of the front-view recording and they are in sync so you can see what is going on at both angle at the same time which I think is REALLY neat. The cost of recording both front and rear is that the recordings are at 30FPS. Front is 1080p @ 30FPS and rear is 720p @ 30FPS. If I turn the rear recording off it can record from the front in 1080p @ 60FPS. None of that will be a concern in 2020 track season though because I will be using multiple GoPro cameras to get much better recordings from several angles as well as lap data overlays and more. Fun stuff coming this year. Stay tuned!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx_U17KwiqU

#35 ·
As always...enjoying the read.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.