Fourtitude.com - Who's going on a Thanksgiving roadtrip? Who's going to sit on their ass and watch football?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
      Cars
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      11-25-2018 09:38 PM #76
      We had a great time in Montreal. Ride up and back were uneventful.

Roads in and around Montreal were pretty awful, with omnipresent Construction hampering things further.

I was glad we could park at the hotel for most of our stay and just walk everywhere. Driving around today as we made our final 3 stops on our way out of town was painful. Terrible cold rain, lots of traffic, and the crud roads.

Still, we loved the trip, and the city. The Kid really liked McGill so that’s definitely on his “Apply” list down the road.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Cars
      made in ‘murica truck and wagon
      11-25-2018 10:38 PM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      We had a great time in Montreal. Ride up and back were uneventful.

Roads in and around Montreal were pretty awful, with omnipresent Construction hampering things further.

I was glad we could park at the hotel for most of our stay and just walk everywhere. Driving around today as we made our final 3 stops on our way out of town was painful. Terrible cold rain, lots of traffic, and the crud roads.

Still, we loved the trip, and the city. The Kid really liked McGill so that’s definitely on his “Apply” list down the road.
      From your pics it looked like a beautiful place, I’ve always wanted to visit.
      this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

Cars
      11-26-2018 07:34 AM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      From your pics it looked like a beautiful place, I’ve always wanted to visit.
      Considering it's less than a 4 hour drive, we don't visit often enough. Sitting in a huge line of cars for nearly 2 hours waiting to get back into the US reminded me what a hassle it can be though.

11-26-2018 09:56 AM #79
      Fun trip. Well, save for the last part.

We stopped at a little mall in St. Charles to get Five Guys and had to park in a parking garage. The mega-cab fit, but barely.
      We then drove in bumper to bumper traffic all the way across Missouri. No lie, it was bumper to bumper, but it moved and we were able to average about 67 mph. All the way across the state. I've never seen anything like it.

The truck did great. We averaged about 21 mpg and it was a surprisingly comfortable rig for travel. The space behind the back seat held much more than you might think. We knew there was some nasty weather coming in, but we were leaving too late to drive all the way through, so we stayed in Independence. Also, On Sunday, Cracker Barrel has homestyle fried chicken, and its amazing. Seeing the weather maps, we figured it best to go south on I35 and then take 50 all the way back home. This proved to be the right choice, but it was still ugly.

As we were headed south, it got ugly just south west of Emporia, KS and it got nasty quick. Our GPS routed us off the interstate in to a cattle pen. No lie, right into a cattle pen. This delayed us for approximately 1 minute. We drove another 5 minutes or so, and oncoming traffic was all flashing their lights at us. We slowed way down, and as we did, cars ahead of us were sliding into each other and I watched a Sorento rear-end the Optima behind us and the Camry to our left fishtail badly and hit the wall. I straddled the lanes down the center and those two cars slid to a stop about what would have been halfway up the bed of the truck, which would have forced us into a semi. We sat in the blizzard for about 45 minutes and people finally found a route through the cars strewn about the interstate.

The next few pictures are from someone else caught in the traffic with us.

This was probably the worst one. It was buried in that semi up to the windshield.

We counted 24 wrecked vehicles in all, and because we were in the first 50 cars or so, I have no clue how many were wrecked behind us.

After snaking through the wreckage, we finally managed a pace of about 35-40 mph, which was snappy for a completely covered interstate. We stopped at Cracker Barrel and had some amazing fried chicken, which allowed time for the storm to die down a little. The rest of our trip was uneventful, save for small patches of 2 lane highway was that was all ice and had some drifting.

I'm super thankful that we managed the whole 16 hour drive without incident.

Chris
      | 18 JLU Sport | 10 Prius | 01 BMW 740 iL | 74 SuperBeetle | 62 Ford Unibody | The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

Cars
      11-26-2018 10:05 AM #80
      Dang! Glad you made it through unscathed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234