Fourtitude.com - 8mm inlet valves with 7mm exhausts???
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. 10-27-2018 06:08 AM #1
      hey folks, I have been considering fitting the 7mm agg/aba exhaust valves into my pb head along with the standard 8mm inlets. so my question is, would the single springs fitted to the exhaust valves work ok with the doubles on the inlet side??? as in, would it cause some kind of imbalance??? I was thinking that due to the exhaust valve being much lighter than the inlet that it would work fine. opinions please

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 10-27-2018 11:45 AM #2
      I do not think you will find facts but a lot of opinions.

My opinion is that you will be fine. If I was the one doing it, I would install the higher rate springs just because I think more it better.

What are you building?

I built a 8V head using 7mm intake stems and 8mm exhaust. The reason was because the exhaust valves were sodium cooled and it would be better suited for the turbo engine I was building.

4. 10-27-2018 06:24 PM #3
      I had considered this option before, and got an agg head for the parts. turned out the single coil spring caps won't work with the doubles. and the doubles cap won't work with the 7mm collets. and the single spring won't sit right on the lower spring seat (steal washer kind of thing between the spring and head on the mk2s) so if you fit the singles direct to the head there is nothing to locate them properly. the agg heads have a small recess where the spring sits to locate the lower end. oh it's a mk2 hydraulic head i'm porting/valve angles and 15 thou skim. going on an ace block with 3a pistons and a schrick 268 cam. 3.5 bar fuel regulator too.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 10-27-2018 06:30 PM #4
      I thinking now just to use the 8mm's. going to have the seats/throats bored out slightly, 3 angle seats. grind down the guide boss a bit and have the new guides tapered before I fit them.

7. 10-27-2018 06:39 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
      I do not think you will find facts but a lot of opinions.

My opinion is that you will be fine. If I was the one doing it, I would install the higher rate springs just because I think more it better.

What are you building?

I built a 8V head using 7mm intake stems and 8mm exhaust. The reason was because the exhaust valves were sodium cooled and it would be better suited for the turbo engine I was building.
      I remember the 7mm inlets being half a mm longer than the 8mm ones. you would have to be careful how far you cut the seats, or have the top of the valves skimmed. I don't think there is a lot of room to play with on them hydro heads.

8. 10-27-2018 08:22 PM #6
      One advantage of working in a shop is that we had all the tools to perform a valve grind. It was awhile ago, but I measured the top of the stems when they were installed and they were within specs. I ported the heads with the guides out and shorten/tapered the guides before I installed them. I used titanium retainers and the stock spring cups.

The original question about can it be done, with the right parts and set up right, yeah. Will it change the flow that much? I do not know, I would lean on the side of 'not much' for the type of driving I do.

9. 10-28-2018 08:22 PM #7
      well I guess every little helps. vw must have had a good reason to reduce the valve size. less weight=lighter springs. i'm just going to stick with the 8mm all round. iv'e already bought the guides and stem seals anyway. just going to work the ports well and get the seat angles done. only looking for about 130bhp and some decent torque. cr should be about 10.9-1 which should work well with the 268 cam. the last 3a engine I had. the head had been skimmed 1mm and it was giving 215psi on a compression test. which would explain why it spun a big end after a short time.

10. 10-29-2018 10:47 AM #8
      You are right, every little thing adds up. 130hp should be doable.

I had a 1.6 stroked to 1.7. Back in the day, you would use the stock 1.6 pistons but just shave them down so they do not hit the head. I believe I had 225psi compression. Way to much for the street so I had to retard the timing a lot. I ended up taking off the head and enlarging the combustion chambers to get it down. Cheaper and faster than removing the pistons and have them machined even more.

11. 10-29-2018 11:29 AM #9
      225psi! that must have been a bit heavy on the old starter motor. got my head back from the shop today. looks like a fairly decent job. the angles aren't perfect of course, due to slight variations in seat to guide alignment, but nowt you can do about that I guess. had a 15 thou skim/3 angles all round/exhaust throats opened out slightly/ backcut on 8 inlet valves (4 are for another head i'm doing) 4 valves ground slightly on the top and they gave it a bath by the looks of it. how much for that lot would you say???

12. 09-08-2019 02:43 PM #10
      so I got hold hold off the 7mm valves/springs for my mk2 gti head. the only thing I'm wary about is the lack of spring base location when the single spring is installed. and with the cam i'm using there would be no room for a spring seat. would it cause any issues fitting the spring base direct to the head? anyone here done it before???

13. 09-09-2019 10:30 AM #11
      I have installed 7mm valves in most of the 8V heads that I do anymore. The stock intake valves are .5mm smaller therefore I do not use the stock ones. The last intake valves [41mm] I purchased was from Techtonics Tuning. I use the stock 8mm springs with TT retainers.

Never had a problem.

14. 09-12-2019 09:11 AM #12
      ah so it's the spring cap that matches everything up. I was hoping to use the single springs to reduce a little strain on the valve gear. should free up a little power and maybe slightly better fuel economy. the 7mm valves are about 10 grams lighter than the 8's. and as I wont be increasing the rpm limit the single springs should keep the lighter valves in check. if I fit a 2 litre block that will bring the max power rpm down slightly but of course I might want to upgrade the cam at some point. it's all a compromise I guess.

15. 09-12-2019 09:13 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
      I have installed 7mm valves in most of the 8V heads that I do anymore. The stock intake valves are .5mm smaller therefore I do not use the stock ones. The last intake valves [41mm] I purchased was from Techtonics Tuning. I use the stock 8mm springs with TT retainers.

Never had a problem.
      is this the retainers you use (109 085)?

16. 09-12-2019 11:05 AM #14
      I believe so. I have an account with TT so I made a call and they shipped the parts. I only purchased the intake valves and retainers since I could source everything else locally and much less. The next head I do will be with the 42/35 valves.

17. 09-12-2019 11:51 AM #15
      made an interesting discovery today. if you take the double spring lower seat and turn it upside down, the standard 7mm valve spring retainer fits in it pretty well (might need a little buzz with dremel). of course if you were to use that method, you would be compressing the spring an extra mm. sits very close to the inside of the hydro follower too.