VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

8mm inlet valves with 7mm exhausts???

6K views 37 replies 3 participants last post by  garryt 
#1 ·
hey folks, I have been considering fitting the 7mm agg/aba exhaust valves into my pb head along with the standard 8mm inlets. so my question is, would the single springs fitted to the exhaust valves work ok with the doubles on the inlet side??? as in, would it cause some kind of imbalance??? I was thinking that due to the exhaust valve being much lighter than the inlet that it would work fine. opinions please:)

#2 ·
I do not think you will find facts but a lot of opinions.

My opinion is that you will be fine. If I was the one doing it, I would install the higher rate springs just because I think more it better.

What are you building?

I built a 8V head using 7mm intake stems and 8mm exhaust. The reason was because the exhaust valves were sodium cooled and it would be better suited for the turbo engine I was building.

#3 ·
I had considered this option before, and got an agg head for the parts. turned out the single coil spring caps won't work with the doubles. and the doubles cap won't work with the 7mm collets. and the single spring won't sit right on the lower spring seat (steal washer kind of thing between the spring and head on the mk2s) so if you fit the singles direct to the head there is nothing to locate them properly. the agg heads have a small recess where the spring sits to locate the lower end. oh it's a mk2 hydraulic head i'm porting/valve angles and 15 thou skim. going on an ace block with 3a pistons and a schrick 268 cam. 3.5 bar fuel regulator too.

#6 ·
One advantage of working in a shop is that we had all the tools to perform a valve grind. It was awhile ago, but I measured the top of the stems when they were installed and they were within specs. I ported the heads with the guides out and shorten/tapered the guides before I installed them. I used titanium retainers and the stock spring cups.

The original question about can it be done, with the right parts and set up right, yeah. Will it change the flow that much? I do not know, I would lean on the side of 'not much' for the type of driving I do.

#7 ·
well I guess every little helps. vw must have had a good reason to reduce the valve size. less weight=lighter springs. i'm just going to stick with the 8mm all round. iv'e already bought the guides and stem seals anyway. just going to work the ports well and get the seat angles done. only looking for about 130bhp and some decent torque. cr should be about 10.9-1 which should work well with the 268 cam. the last 3a engine I had. the head had been skimmed 1mm and it was giving 215psi on a compression test. which would explain why it spun a big end after a short time.

#8 ·
You are right, every little thing adds up. 130hp should be doable.

I had a 1.6 stroked to 1.7. Back in the day, you would use the stock 1.6 pistons but just shave them down so they do not hit the head. I believe I had 225psi compression. Way to much for the street so I had to retard the timing a lot. I ended up taking off the head and enlarging the combustion chambers to get it down. Cheaper and faster than removing the pistons and have them machined even more.

#9 ·
225psi! that must have been a bit heavy on the old starter motor. got my head back from the shop today. looks like a fairly decent job. the angles aren't perfect of course, due to slight variations in seat to guide alignment, but nowt you can do about that I guess. had a 15 thou skim/3 angles all round/exhaust throats opened out slightly/ backcut on 8 inlet valves (4 are for another head i'm doing) 4 valves ground slightly on the top and they gave it a bath by the looks of it. how much for that lot would you say???

#10 ·
so I got hold hold off the 7mm valves/springs for my mk2 gti head. the only thing I'm wary about is the lack of spring base location when the single spring is installed. and with the cam i'm using there would be no room for a spring seat. would it cause any issues fitting the spring base direct to the head? anyone here done it before???

#11 ·
I have installed 7mm valves in most of the 8V heads that I do anymore. The stock intake valves are .5mm smaller therefore I do not use the stock ones. The last intake valves [41mm] I purchased was from Techtonics Tuning. I use the stock 8mm springs with TT retainers.

Never had a problem.

#12 ·
ah so it's the spring cap that matches everything up. I was hoping to use the single springs to reduce a little strain on the valve gear. should free up a little power and maybe slightly better fuel economy. the 7mm valves are about 10 grams lighter than the 8's. and as I wont be increasing the rpm limit the single springs should keep the lighter valves in check. if I fit a 2 litre block that will bring the max power rpm down slightly but of course I might want to upgrade the cam at some point:confused:. it's all a compromise I guess.

#16 ·
hi butcher, do you do back cuts on the aba inlet valves? looks like it might weaken them due to the large concave on the valve head. could be wrong though. got some standard vr6 spring retainers. turns out they are compatible with the 8mm-7mm valve conversion and double springs. do you taper the guides?

#15 ·
made an interesting discovery today. if you take the double spring lower seat and turn it upside down, the standard 7mm valve spring retainer fits in it pretty well (might need a little buzz with dremel). of course if you were to use that method, you would be compressing the spring an extra mm. sits very close to the inside of the hydro follower too.

#17 ·
Once I get all the cuts I want to the seats, I lap the valves to make certain the sealing is where I want it on the valve. Then I do back cut the valves to the lapping marks. I actually cut both sides of the lapping marks. It's not a lot and I'm certain it does not help much. In theory, it would allow a smoother transition and it's all just time wasted for me if there is no improvement. Kinda like a 5 angle seat job just done on the valves.

I'm no engineer, but I do not think it would cause an issue.

#18 ·
yeah I like to stick to the minor improvements all round too, instead of hogging out the ports and hoping for the best. I had a 4 angle done on the inlet seats and a 3mm backcut on the 40mm valve, so will probably stick to them and concentrate on the exhaust side. I can't understand why vw felt the need to go from 38-40 on the inlet. didn't seem to do anything for power on the standard engine, and the throat/bowls are a mess. I had a 38 head once and the throat/bowl area was a far better finish than any 40 I have worked on. it was a carb head though, so no use to me.

#20 ·
I would say you're more likely to get a "poor" Mexican casting. but in general, all the heads iv'e had needed tidying up. you tend to find more german heads here in the uk, and less Mexican ones. I have 2 of both at the moment. I do wonder why the Mexican heads made their way over head:sly: with it being a german company that's a stones throw from the uk.

#22 ·
that is very true. being over here is the reason I couldn't order the tt retainers. can only find titanium ones over here afaik. found a full set of vr6 springs/caps on ebay though. which ironically enough, came from a fellow in florida. £45 delivered, so cant complain about that. I had put an offer of £45 on a complete vr6 head over here, but never heard back from them, so just ordered the ones from over that way instead.

#23 ·
how do folks:wave: looking for some valve guide info. I have a set of abf (35 mm) guides and a set of vr (38 mm) guides, so my question is. would I be better with the shorter blunt guides or the longer (very tapered) guides??? the standard taper on the abf guide doesn't protrude fully through the guide boss, but the taper I put on the vr guides blends in quite well to the guide boss taper.

#24 ·
I suspect that the longer the guide, the better the support. The better the support, the better the valve sealing would be.

So is there a benefit for shorter guides? Probably allows for more air flow but I really could not say how much more or if reliability is worth the extra hp.

#25 ·
well the abf guides arrived today, and upon measuring them. they are 36.5mm instead of 35mm as advertised. but the guide design would have it sitting higher in the head than standard (shoulder is lower on the guide) so the guide is the same length as standard, but doesn't protrude through the boss as much when driven fully home.

#27 ·
being cheap=knowing the value of money:). always more job satisfaction doing it yourself. anyway, I should be left with 1.5-2mm between the seal and retainer at full valve lift. that's with a schrick 268 cam (11.2mm lift). fitted them today and after they have been reamed and the seats redone, going to blend them into the guide boss carefully with the die grinder. fitted the 7mm inlets too. used the 38mm guides with the same taper angle but increased the taper length to 7mm, and set the guide shoulder 1mm proud of the cylinder head. so plenty support and heat transfer area there. if you google "febi bilstein 10669" you will see the difference in the abf guides.

#30 ·
I recall you mentioned before about checking the "free play" between the lifter and cam base circle when you were fitting the 7mm valves. what clearance were you getting and is there actually a workshop manual clearance? I have a spare ina lifter with the spring removed for testing.

#29 ·
the person that has to live with the end result will always do the best job:) put the head to the shop today for the guide reaming and seat grind. hopefully be built up again by the weekend. car is still puffing out smoke though, even with the second head fitted:facepalm:. now thinking it might be the small holes in the pistons, behind the oil rings that are coked up. guess it's time for my rebuilt 2 litre block to start work:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.