Fourtitude.com - My project RS3
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: My project RS3

Cars
      Me: 2016 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner, Brilliant Silver. Wife: 2019 Honda Civic Sport Sonic Grey
      01-14-2020 02:39 PM #151
      I'm late to the party for this thread, so I apologize if this has been answered...but I thought Audi frowned on modding their cars. As in, you mod, the warranty is gone.
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      See? You have to relax before you can completely take in all of TCL's magic.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, 2020 Ascent
      01-14-2020 02:44 PM #152
      Quote Originally Posted by chuckster1 View Post
      I'm late to the party for this thread, so I apologize if this has been answered...but I thought Audi frowned on modding their cars. As in, you mod, the warranty is gone.
      All automakers are bound by the same laws with respect to warranty. In practice, there's rarely that much difference. If you tune the car and the motor blows, they aren't going to warranty the motor. Very few will, and if they do its often because your dealer went to bat for you. If you tune the car and you have a suspension problem, you are probably fine. Only difference with Audi is that they have software to affirmatively flag tuned cars (even after taken back to stock) that has been well-publicized. I imagine most carmakers will check the software on a performance car coming in with a blown motor or transmission.

Cars
      '19 MDX, '17 S3, '08 987.1 S
      01-14-2020 03:23 PM #153
      Quote Originally Posted by chuckster1 View Post
      If the engine blows, his warranty is gone. He knows that and is accepting the risk.
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk
      this is due to your inexperience with performance driving . . . you really do have to take a car to a performance driving event, track day, autocross, ice race etc to get a feel for how a car actually performs. and you have to have the knowledge and skill to be able to manipulate the car in such a way as to get it and keep it at the edge.

Cars
      RS3, 997TT, Raptor
      01-14-2020 03:28 PM #154
      Everything is going great. Still tons of smiles per mile. I recently had a couple of friends very aggressively push me to sell them the car. I thought about it long and hard, and I actually passed. There is nothing, for me at least, for similar money that gives me this much fun on the street. I would end up spending around 2X as much to have a car that I didn't like any better, or possibly end up with another lightly used F80 (maybe CS) and be bored again in another year. It's a pretty good time to be looking at used RS3. Audi just got done with a really aggressive push at the end of the year on the remaining 19s. 15-20% off MSRP was being seen with some regularity by very aggressive dealers. That has pushed used values of the 18s into the upper 40s. Those incentives are now gone, possibly to never return again per my friend who's the Audi manager, so used prices will likely hold steady over the next year. Solidifies my statement when I wrote my initial post that this is a really great car in the middish 50s. RS3 vs CTS-V very, very different cars, but obviously being so different one of them will speak to you more than the other. For me I love the all weather and modded power capabilities the RS3, but both are super cool.

Audi doesn't like it if you mod their cars when it comes to warranty. Luckily these are pretty reliable cars. I've had zero issues with mine. It has only been in for an oil change, and I asked them not to scan it so it isn't actually TD1....yet That said, I knew what I was doing. I can pay to play, so I take the "risk."
      Last edited by Toaster29; 01-14-2020 at 03:31 PM.
      ‘19 Guards/Aurum GT3 RS Weissach
      ‘18 RS3: APR stage 2, BBS CI-R: 10.72 @ 130.5
      ‘18 Raptor crew cab
      ‘09 997TT 6MT: 65mm VTGs, 730 whp E85
      Past: Evo 8, R35 GT-R, F80 M3s, C6 Z06, 991TT-S/GT3, etc

Cars
      Germany, 1986
      01-14-2020 03:41 PM #155
      Thank you for the response.

Yes, I am looking at 2018s or older. Can you perhaps speak to the Android Auto or CarPlay functionality i.e. is it solid?

This thing has been for sale since October. Looks like it has the CCBS, does that mean it doesnt get the mag-ride like I think I saw posted?

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...6915/overview/ - $50K

Not sure if I could live with the color.

Cars
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, 2020 Ascent
      01-14-2020 03:45 PM #156
      Quote Originally Posted by 16volt View Post

Yes, I am looking at 2018s or older. Can you perhaps speak to the Android Auto or CarPlay functionality i.e. is it solid?

This thing has been for sale since October. Looks like it has the CCBS, does that mean it doesnt get the mag-ride like I think I saw posted?

Someone here mentioned they got one brand new in the low 50s. If that's doable, I'd go new over something like that unless they come way down on price. And I don't think I could live with the color. Looks like dehydrated urine.

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      01-14-2020 03:46 PM #157

Someone paid 4k for that. Heinous. If it has CCB's it has fixed suspension.

We just had a few inches of snow over the last couple days. Can confirm RS3 is a blast in these conditions!

Cars
      RS3, 997TT, Raptor
      01-14-2020 04:05 PM #158

CarPlay integration is great. No issues at all. The color is all your preference. I personally wouldn't want a dynamic plus car. CCBs don't actually do anything on this platform other than cost more, and I would want the dynamic suspension over the fixed. As to cost, the days of low 50s for a new one are gone. We're back to 3-5% off. Audi incentives are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      Someone here mentioned they got one brand new in the low 50s. If that's doable, I'd go new over something like that unless they come way down on price. And I don't think I could live with the color. Looks like dehydrated urine.
      No longer doable.
      ‘18 Raptor crew cab

Cars
      Germany, 1986
      01-14-2020 05:56 PM #159
      Is there an exterior carbon option, I noticed you have carbon mirror caps etc.

I agree, I would rather have the dynamic suspension. Do you use the Stop n Go cruise at all? It's another must have feature since I will be daily driving this is likely heavy traffic when I go into the office.

Thanks for all the info.

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      01-14-2020 06:16 PM #160
      Is there an exterior carbon option, I noticed you have carbon mirror caps etc.

I agree, I would rather have the dynamic suspension. Do you use the Stop n Go cruise at all? It's another must have feature since I will be daily driving this is likely heavy traffic when I go into the office.

Thanks for all the info.
      That gold car appears to have them too

Cars
      Germany, 1986
      01-14-2020 06:44 PM #161
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      That gold car appears to have them too
      Good eye.

Cars
      RS3, 997TT, Raptor
      01-14-2020 07:37 PM #162
      No carbon package. It is à la carte. Mine has the carbon mirror caps and the carbon interior trim. I didn’t do the drivers assistance package. I don’t like most of those features and keep them turned off if possible in cars with it.
      ‘18 Raptor crew cab

14. 01-14-2020 07:45 PM #163
      Can someone educate me on the iron vs aluminum block 2.5T differences ? I read about few blown engines with 25K price tags to fix (most seemed to be running E85 iirc). Still, hard not to tune this beast. So much potential to be unleashed.

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      01-14-2020 07:48 PM #164
      Quote Originally Posted by MonsterM View Post
      Can someone educate me on the iron vs aluminum block 2.5T differences ? I read about few blown engines with 25K price tags to fix (most seemed to be running E85 iirc). Still, hard not to tune this beast. So much potential to be unleashed.
      Essentially the entire short block is redesigned. Besides the aluminum block it also has new rods/pistons, the crank is gun-drilled, magnesium pan, new oiling setup... The head is probably different too but I am not 100% sure. Some engines have blown but it seems if you keep it under 550 ft-lbs and don't pour the boost on too hard too early, you are generally fine.

Cars
      S60, Z/28
      01-14-2020 07:49 PM #165

Apparently I’m in the minority but I love that color.

Carbon ceramics on the street are overkill, for pretty much anyone. I know of a few Z/28 guys who track their cars who swapped the ceramics for steel to save a ton of money, and they say they lost no braking power. I will say that the ceramics on the Z were the only brakes I’ve ever driven that experienced zero fade, even on very steep downhill runs at pretty high speeds.
      One Swedish sedan
      One ‘murrican coupe

Cars
      Germany, 1986
      01-15-2020 01:08 PM #166
      Helpful info, thank you. I may try to go lay eyes on the gold car Friday, sorry for the thread derail.

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      01-15-2020 01:21 PM #167
      Helpful info, thank you. I may try to go lay eyes on the gold car Friday, sorry for the thread derail.
      Did you not say you wanted DAP? That car doesn't have it.

That car is still there for two reasons - The color and the Dynamic Plus package. If you can get a discount enough so that those are basically free it might be worth it. But even then another car without that 8k worth of those two options or whatever it is might be cheaper still.

Cars
      Germany, 1986
      01-15-2020 01:58 PM #168
      Ok - one more question, I promise.

How do you tell if a car is equipped with the Stop and Go just buy looking at it? I assume the package is the Drivers Assistance package or something?

Cars
      Germany, 1986
      01-15-2020 01:58 PM #169
      Did you not say you wanted DAP? That car doesn't have it.

That car is still there for two reasons - The color and the Dynamic Plus package. If you can get a discount enough so that those are basically free it might be worth it. But even then another car without that 8k worth of those two options or whatever it is might be cheaper still.
      Jinx

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      01-15-2020 02:02 PM #170
      Ok - one more question, I promise.

How do you tell if a car is equipped with the Stop and Go just buy looking at it? I assume the package is the Drivers Assistance package or something?
      To get the stop and go, you need the driver's assistance package (DAP). You can tell by looking because there's a square sensor at the bottom of the grille:

Cars
      01-15-2020 02:22 PM #171
      Quote Originally Posted by MonsterM View Post
      While I know that a blown 2.5T is not a cheap proposition, $25k sounds really, really high. Is this a dealer cost?

Couldn't a used engine just be purchased and swapped for cheaper?
      this is due to your inexperience with performance driving . . . you really do have to take a car to a performance driving event, track day, autocross, ice race etc to get a feel for how a car actually performs. and you have to have the knowledge and skill to be able to manipulate the car in such a way as to get it and keep it at the edge.

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      01-15-2020 02:25 PM #172
      Quote Originally Posted by SchnellFowVay View Post
      While I know that a blown 2.5T is not a cheap proposition, $25k sounds really, really high. Is this a dealer cost?

It's probably dealer price for an installed long block, wouldn't surprise me. I think actual parts cost for short block is around 9k and more like 14k for long block, if I remember correctly. Really though nobody would do that, you can build a fully forged built engine for less than that, but it's still pretty friggin expensive for that. If you do the whole deal with a larger turbo and what not you are looking around low 20's. But you can reliably make like 700 to the wheels at that point, maybe more, and the car drives like stock.
      Last edited by Jimmy Russells; 01-15-2020 at 02:28 PM.

24. 01-15-2020 02:27 PM #173
      Quote Originally Posted by SchnellFowVay View Post

07K100032J labor and whatnot. If you manage to blow it, build it. I can't believe how freaking expensive oem brake pads are for these. Seems like it almost pays to just swap to a bbk or at the very least 2-piece rotors.
      Last edited by MisterTroy; 01-15-2020 at 02:30 PM.

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      01-15-2020 02:32 PM #174
      Quote Originally Posted by MisterTroy View Post
      07K100032J labor and whatnot. If you manage to blow it, build it. I can't believe how freaking expensive oem brake pads are for these. Seems like it almost pays to just swap to a bbk or at the very least 2-piece rotors.
      The front pads and rotors are laughably expensive. There are a lot better pad options but any rotor options are still a lot of money. At least if you go to two-piece rotors the next time you need to replace them you can just replace the rings.

Cars
      01-15-2020 02:59 PM #175
      If you do the whole deal with a larger turbo and what not you are looking around low 20's. But you can reliably make like 700 to the wheels at that point, maybe more, and the car drives like stock.
      Yeah, I know, I live near IROZ, national leader in built 2.5T Audi engines.

But from the perspective of someone who just wants to buy one of these things, slap on a tune and a DP, and sell it in a couple of years. What is the realistic downside exposure if the engine blows, and you're not looking to build it into a monster. It sounds like $15k is a reasonably approximate cost.

When I bought my tuned Audi S3 I did this analysis. I figured about $10k if I blow the EA888. I was just curious what the math would be on the RS3.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast