Fourtitude.com

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My project RS3

Cars
      RS3
      11-02-2018 09:04 AM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by SchnellFowVay View Post
      So it's a legit concern.

United is used by IROZ and other top Audi 5-cylinder tuners. You can't always tell a lot about the quality of a product by the web page. United is more flexible, user configurable, etc.

And lest we forget, APR's history with modern Audi 5-cylinders is terrible. In fact, their Stage 3 kit for the MK2 Audi TTRS was so bad, and so unreliable, that APR eventually just stopped selling it rather than try to fix it.

THAT SAID, APR's program for the current RS3/TTRS does seem to be solid.

But I too would be wary of ever running an APR tune. Too much baggage, and too much bad history -- much of it fairly recent.
      Only on custom builds recently, seems Custom Code is tue preferred tuner as of late for most iroz customers.

APRs track record with stage 3 kits is hit or miss but their tunes seem pretty solid esp E85.

I've had APR and 0 issues on multiple cars MK6 amd MK7 Rs.

Sent from my mobile office.
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T | '12 R 2.0T | '16 R 2.0T | '17 R 2.0T | '18 RS3 2.5T |
      VW MK7 GTI/R Installation YT Vids: Schwabo

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      mk4 futura 1.8T GTI, mk6 CW GTI, awd outlander sport
      11-02-2018 09:38 AM #77
      i would have opted for the silvery surrounds, but i really DIG the grey, it looks fantastic. thanks for sharing.
      praise the lowered
      ¡save manuel!

Originally Posted by George Bluth >>
      It's so obnoxious when VW Golf/Jetta owners comment

4. Member
      Cars
      Fahrvergnügen
      11-02-2018 01:50 PM #78
      Nice car, OP!

5. 11-02-2018 01:53 PM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by cseaman View Post
      This thread is throwing a curveball in my current Audi-ism. Not happy with my SQ5, and was dead set on moving to a new S4 in 2019 after driving one this last weekend. I've known that APR has been having a good time with the RS3, but they're sooooo small. But good lord, the 9.9 they just clicked off would destroy my old HCI C6Z on the street...and you're inside an Audi. ****. Subscribed.
      Kind of what I have been struggling with. I want to swear off VAG as I had way too many for far too long and yet here is this RS3. Its stealth (no one in my area wouldn't know what it was) and it will ruin people's day.

I don't even need to run 9s. A solid high 10 second car on the street gets to be a handful. Now throw in 4 doors and awd!

I was pulling a boat out to winter storage over the weekend and was passed by an S3 with an exhaust, intake, wheels etc. I was drooling over it as it disappeared down the road.
      Boiler Up!

Make it three yards mother****er and we'll have an automobile race

Cars
      MK4 VRT, 2018 TTRS
      11-05-2018 01:41 PM #80
      Late, but, congrats on the purchase! Welcome to the 2.5t Evo club.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it. I'm still straddling the line between Iroz/CC & APR complete hardware and software suite. Waiting a little more before I decide.
      Me: flickr | Instagram
      VRSociety: Facebook | Instagram

Cars
      RS3, 997TT, Raptor
      11-25-2018 09:30 PM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by MylesPH1 View Post
      This car, with these mods, seems like the ultimate example of what a fast Quattro sedan should be. Personally, I’ve always seen these as a great option if you need one car to do all things very well.. yet yours is just one in a fleet, and it still holds its own.

The only other car I see in this price range/speed category would be the Tesla Performance 3. Such a different experience though, and not *quite* the same sound as that awesome five-cylinder warble

Had a Tesla Model 3 performance over the weekend. Dropped by to check one out and they were pretty insistent I take one home for a couple days. Ok

The m3P is a pretty cool car. It is fast to 60 or so at which point the acceleration drops off fairly rapidly as the speed continues to increase. I honestly just couldn't get over the sense that it feels like a big golf cart as far as the drivetrain goes. I think it was very interesting and certainly the future. Just can't get on board with it yet. Maybe the next iteration. The RS3 was right there with it until about 40-50 at which point the Audi just runs away from it. While electrics are our future, my experience with the Tesla has made me appreciate the really excellent ICE in the RS3 even more.
      ‘18 GT3 touring
      ’18 RS3: APR stage 2, BBS CI-R: 10.72 @ 130.5
      '18 Raptor crew cab
      '07 997.1 TT 6MT: FBO OEM turbos, 656 whp, 700 wtq, 5.9 60-130
      Past: Evo 8, R35 GT-R, F80 M3s, C6 Z06, 991TT-S/GT3, etc

Cars
      04 R32, 16 Golf R
      11-26-2018 07:11 PM #82
      Beautiful car! Very tastefully modded!

9. 11-26-2018 07:34 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      "A lawyer calls a plumber to have a leak fixed in his shower. After 30 minutes, the leak is fixed and the plumber gives the lawyer a bill for $400. The lawyer says 'I'm a lawyer and even I don't make that kind of money.' The plumber responds 'neither did I when I was a lawyer."

I'll see myself out. Sorry OP, back to discussing your RS3.
      QFT.

(doing very well electrician here, after years getting a product design degree, and struggling as a race car fabricator/designer/machinist)
      Last edited by jaystone; 11-26-2018 at 07:42 PM.

Cars
      Civic Type R & RSV4 RR
      11-26-2018 07:37 PM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by Spike Ti View Post
      Curious if you considered the M2 Competition or not, because you already had an S55 or two?
      Bueller?

Cars
      RS3, 997TT, Raptor
      11-26-2018 10:39 PM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by BMPR324me View Post
      Beautiful car! Very tastefully modded!
      Thanks man

Quote Originally Posted by jaystone View Post
      QFT.

(doing very well electrician here, after years getting a product design degree, and struggling as a race car fabricator/designer/machinist)
      Right on, glad to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Ti View Post
      Bueller?
      Sorry I missed your question. I think the M2C is cool, and worth a look, but basically it's an F8X in a cheaper shell. You can get a barely used '18 F8X for the same money as an M2C. The fact that the car is so much smaller and weighs the same really bugs me too. Again, really cool car, but I think if I get another S55 powered vehicle, it'll be a used F8x CS. I got to check those out over the holiday weekend and I really liked it. They feel special in a way that the regular M3s and M4s do not. I saw the lease residuals on them recently: I don't lease, but if they depreciate like BMW expects them to (yikes!), they will be a hell of a performance bargain in the low 60s, which doesn't look like that'll take very long
      ‘18 GT3 touring
      '18 Raptor crew cab

Cars
      '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      11-27-2018 06:15 PM #86
      Quote Originally Posted by cseaman View Post
      This thread is throwing a curveball in my current Audi-ism. Not happy with my SQ5, and was dead set on moving to a new S4 in 2019 after driving one this last weekend. I've known that APR has been having a good time with the RS3, but they're sooooo small. But good lord, the 9.9 they just clicked off would destroy my old HCI C6Z on the street...and you're inside an Audi. ****. Subscribed.
      Agreed.

Just when I had my current automotive landscape/hierarchy and future car plans sorted...well, at least for the next ~6 weeks.

~50K fun car = ATS-V or ~60K fun car = Giuila QV or ~70K fun car = CTS-V. All was content with my world.

Now you throw a RS3 wrench in the mix. Reviews/Driving impressions I've read have been less than stellar & that turned me off. Your experience & performance numbers with so few mods has my interest. Mods are turbo inlet pipe, catless DPs, FMIC & E85 tune? Incredible gains! And yeah, better tires cannot be overstated.

That and you had to reference GT-R and Evo spiritual successors to tug at my heartstrings. Damn you.
      Current: '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      Past/Sold: '13 Evo, '08 Si, '12 Mustang GT, '03 Evo VIII, '01 Golf 1.8T

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      11-27-2018 06:58 PM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by lowlight View Post
      Agreed.

Just when I had my current automotive landscape/hierarchy and future car plans sorted...well, at least for the next ~6 weeks.

~50K fun car = ATS-V or ~60K fun car = Giuila QV or ~70K fun car = CTS-V. All was content with my world.

Now you throw a RS3 wrench in the mix. Reviews/Driving impressions I've read have been less than stellar & that turned me off. Your experience & performance numbers with so few mods has my interest. Mods are turbo inlet pipe, catless DPs, FMIC & E85 tune? Incredible gains! And yeah, better tires cannot be overstated.

That and you had to reference GT-R and Evo spiritual successors to tug at my heartstrings. Damn you.
      I'm not sure where you're looking but most reviews I have seen (been paying attention over a year) are hugely positive. Not all engine stuff either, in the way it feels. Really the only negative press I have seen on the car at all is the Lightning Lap which would probably have fared a lot better with different tires and regular brakes.

Cars
      '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      11-30-2018 05:12 AM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      I'm not sure where you're looking but most reviews I have seen (been paying attention over a year) are hugely positive. Not all engine stuff either, in the way it feels. Really the only negative press I have seen on the car at all is the Lightning Lap which would probably have fared a lot better with different tires and regular brakes.
      Hmmm, maybe I've been confusing my memory of RS3 reviews with S3? Very different cars I know, sorry.

I did see the LL article, & Ezra Dyer's excellent piece in C&D too.

Any other RS3 forums to read? Was surprised to see mostly crickets over at Vortex & Audizine.

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      11-30-2018 10:24 AM #89
      Hmmm, maybe I've been confusing my memory of RS3 reviews with S3? Very different cars I know, sorry.

I did see the LL article, & Ezra Dyer's excellent piece in C&D too.

Any other RS3 forums to read? Was surprised to see mostly crickets over at Vortex & Audizine.
      The RS3 specific forum on Audizine gets some traffic but a lot of it is just a bunch of **** swinging with different tuners and what not . Audi World is mostly UK based but I’m sure there’s a decent forum there too. The Facebook group is useless.

16. 11-30-2018 10:29 AM #90
      The RS3 specific forum on Audizine gets some traffic but a lot of it is just a bunch of **** swinging with different tuners and what not . Audi World is mostly UK based but I’m sure there’s a decent forum there too. The Facebook group is useless.
      The audi-sport.net subform is alright but mainly for seeing pictures rather than technical information. They have a lot of exclusive paint photos I haven't seen posted anywhere else.

Cars
      RS3, 997TT, Raptor
      12-01-2018 09:43 AM #91
      Agreed.

Haha, I hear you. Mods are turbo inlet pipe, OEM catless mid pipes (which is the factory part for ROW, the downpipe is stock and has a huge cat about 4 inches from the turbo), FMIC (no gain in power on E85), and E85 tune. This car does mix elements from both the Evo and the GT-R once you start modifying it for sure. It has felt REALLY strong in this cold weather we've had lately. I may have gotten ahold of a latest gen 5.0 on the way home from Thanksgiving with the family and the Mustang driver may have been quite confused The sleeper nature of this car is one of its best attributes. It looks like something special, but the vast majority have no idea what it actually is or what it can do.
      ‘18 GT3 touring
      '18 Raptor crew cab

Cars
      RS3, 997TT, Raptor
      01-17-2019 11:26 AM #92
      I've had the APR downpipes and mid pipes for a while now, and just got around to getting that installed. It's a total pain in the rear to do, so I farmed that job out. The APR DP is of very high quality, as expected. I like the cast bits at the really hot parts of the DP, and the flex pipes are really nicely done as well. Once you ditch the stock cat, APR allows for some more pops and bangs on deceleration with the valves open. I like how they limit that to valve open conditions as I would find it highly annoying under normal driving. The sound is just out of this world. It sounds so, so good. The power is fantastic. I simply would never have believed that a nearly stock A3 based Audi could pull the way this little beast does. The car is downright, genuinely fast...even for my butt dyno. It feels like a good 130 mph full weight. Hopefully I'll find out soon.

I can't get enough of this little car you guys. It is certainly my favorite "run around, do all things" kind of car that I've owned. While it isn't as good dynamically as the F80s were, it's HELL of a lot more feisty, playful, and "real" where the F80s feel a lot like robots most of the time. You all that own these things that are still stock....do yourselves a favor and unlock some of the magic that it's hiding. Its alright car out of the factory, but I can't believe the transformation a few well placed mods do to bring this thing into an entirely different performance realm. I love it

Untitled by glmmd81, on Flickr

‘18 GT3 touring
      '18 Raptor crew cab

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      01-17-2019 11:35 AM #93
      Quote Originally Posted by Toaster29 View Post
      I've had the APR downpipes and mid pipes for a while now, and just got around to getting that installed. It's a total pain in the rear to do, so I farmed that job out. The APR DP is of very high quality, as expected. I like the cast bits at the really hot parts of the DP, and the flex pipes are really nicely done as well. Once you ditch the stock cat, APR allows for some more pops and bangs on deceleration with the valves open. I like how they limit that to valve open conditions as I would find it highly annoying under normal driving. The sound is just out of this world. It sounds so, so good. The power is fantastic. I simply would never have believed that a nearly stock A3 based Audi could pull the way this little beast does. The car is downright, genuinely fast...even for my butt dyno. It feels like a good 130 mph full weight. Hopefully I'll find out soon.

I can't get enough of this little car you guys. It is certainly my favorite "run around, do all things" kind of car that I've owned. While it isn't as good dynamically as the F80s were, it's HELL of a lot more feisty, playful, and "real" where the F80s feel a lot like robots most of the time. You all that own these things that are still stock....do yourselves a favor and unlock some of the magic that it's hiding. Its alright car out of the factory, but I can't believe the transformation a few well placed mods do to bring this thing into an entirely different performance realm. I love it

But but but it's a Haldex based Golf how in the world have you not understeered into a tree yet???

This is on my to-do list one day for sure, but for now I am still enjoying flogging it without a worry in the world. Are you on the E85 tune or 93/91? Do you have an intake or the turbo inlet?

Cars
      RS3, 997TT, Raptor
      01-17-2019 11:40 AM #94
      But but but it's a Haldex based Golf how in the world have you not understeered into a tree yet???

This is on my to-do list one day for sure, but for now I am still enjoying flogging it without a worry in the world. Are you on the E85 tune or 93/91? Do you have an intake or the turbo inlet?
      It's on E85 in the video. Yes, I have the 4" turbo inlet and 4" carbon intake pipe hooked to the stock airbox. The turbo is basically silent except at full throttle. The car really has a dual personality now. With the valves closed, the car is very quiet and there's no bangs. Now with the valves open, it is quite loud and there's lots of popping and banging on deceleration. Very, very different car depending on your mode. I really like that tremendously. Very little loss of the excellent daily driver attributes with these mods.
      Last edited by Toaster29; 01-17-2019 at 11:44 AM.
      ‘18 GT3 touring
      '18 Raptor crew cab

Cars
      '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      01-18-2019 03:05 PM #95
      Nice, thanks for the update.

The fact you're so impressed with the car says a lot, given your ownership history.

I keep weighing RS3 vs C43 AMG vs Q50 Red Sport as possible fun winter cars at some point.

I'm thinking the RS3 has the most character, C43 might be too close to Giulia QV (next fun car purchase!), and Q50 RS might be too heavy & bland (first world problems) in this company.

Looking forward to your next drag strip results!

Cars
      A Fancy Nissan
      01-18-2019 04:26 PM #96

The fact you're so impressed with the car says a lot, given your ownership history.

I keep weighing RS3 vs C43 AMG vs Q50 Red Sport as possible fun winter cars at some point.

I'm thinking the RS3 has the most character, C43 might be too close to Giulia QV (next fun car purchase!), and Q50 RS might be too heavy & bland (first world problems) in this company.

I've not driven this current gen of C-AMG's so I can't comment on that, but its down on power compared to both the RS3 and Q50RS. I haven't driven an RS3, but I did drive an S3 and loved everything about it, just the right sized car.

The Q50RS is very different from both of them though, and while on paper it looks like a good match up, its just not in the same league when you take the package as a whole. The Q50RS has gobs of power, its truly my favorite highway car I've had, and honestly its very competent and can be chucked around but you do start feeling it's weight on tighter switch back type cornering. It's a great car but only because of the price point you can find them, if you actually paid what the MSRP is it makes it a bad choice, but Infiniti was practically giving these things away. That said, it has so much potential and is just a few minor tweaks away from being a truly phenomenal car, I hope Infiniti does what they need to do with the next gen. However, given the choice of the 3, the RS3 (or M2C) is the one I would go with.

Toaster: Did you buy this car or lease it? I may have to snag it from you when you get bored of it, great spec and all the right mods.
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Disclaimer: Generally, I strongly dislike people.
      Current: 18' Infiniti Q50 Red Sport
      Prior Vehicles: 13' E92 335i M-Sport l 04' E46 330ci SMG l 04' MKIV GLI 1.8t 6spd

Cars
      RS3, 997TT, Raptor
      01-18-2019 09:07 PM #97

I will get out the dragy here soon and see what I can do. APR has a low traction (street tire) stage 2 file which is what is loaded on my car now. Supposedly a big improvement in launch traction. We shall see

Quote Originally Posted by GLI Dan View Post

Toaster: Did you buy this car or lease it? I may have to snag it from you when you get bored of it, great spec and all the right mods.
      I bought it. Never leased a car in my life and I certainly wouldn’t mod a leased one this much. I’ll let you know when it’s time, but I have quite a list of potential next owners with this one. That said, I have no doubt it’ll go to one of my real world or internet car buddies.
      ‘18 GT3 touring
      '18 Raptor crew cab

Cars
      RS3, 997TT, Raptor
      01-21-2019 11:47 AM #98
      Sooo yeah....

100% full tank of E85. Full weight. Production file anybody gets when they order the stage 2, etc, etc.

0-60 was 3.0 seconds flat with zero roll-out

Last edited by Toaster29; 01-21-2019 at 12:18 PM.
      ‘18 GT3 touring
      '18 Raptor crew cab

25. Member
      Cars
      Fancy Accord, 'Reliable' Family Truckster, Plug-in Bulldog
      01-21-2019 12:03 PM #99
      why cars so fast now?! Jesus. Go slay some giants with that thing

26. Member
      Cars