Fourtitude.com - My project RS3
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Fourtitude.com


    Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Results 126 to 149 of 149

    Thread: My project RS3

    1. Member Toaster29's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2000
      Location
      Bama
      Posts
      5,473
      Cars
      RS3, 997TT, Raptor
      02-01-2019 11:08 AM #126
      Quote Originally Posted by forewheel View Post
      FTFY

      Man I love this car, what an absolute beast!

      You have such a great quiver in your garage, excellent taste.
      Thank you very much. They are all different, but such a huge amount of fun. So grateful to be able to play with these toys.

      Quote Originally Posted by arethirdytwo View Post
      If he keeps this thing for three years he will die with it, lol.

      Hahaha, this is true. I absolutely love this little car.


      Quote Originally Posted by BlakeV View Post
      Since you have such an high turnover, maybe your next toy will be a RS5 SB. I was in one (in red) yesterday.... jaw dropping.

      Difference between RS3 and RS5 is not just "2" , but all in sex appeal. 0-60mph in 3.9s, no real urge to mod -well IMO....


      You know, I'm not a big R/S5 fan this time around. I feel the looks are overwrought and overstayed this time around. I'm also not too sure about the new 2.9L, but we will see.


      Made another pass today. Only change was half a tank of fuel instead of a full tank. Conditions were a bit better as well, 50 deg. Surprisingly the car didn't hook up quite as well despite the warmer temps, but only minimally so. Still another 3.0 0-60 (again, this is without 1 ft roll out). So close to 130 mph traps, so I'm doing a slight amount of rounding

      Untitled by glmmd81, on Flickr

      Untitled by glmmd81, on Flickr
      ‘18 GT3 touring
      ’18 RS3: APR stage 2, BBS CI-R: 10.72 @ 130.5
      '18 Raptor crew cab
      '07 997.1 TT 6MT: FBO OEM turbos, 656 whp, 700 wtq, 5.9 60-130
      Past: Evo 8, R35 GT-R, F80 M3s, C6 Z06, 991TT-S/GT3, etc

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Member Senior Member's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 2016
      Location
      Original Join Date 2001 Central NJ
      Posts
      1,558
      Cars
      01 MKIV Jetta 1.8t
      02-01-2019 04:34 PM #127
      Quote Originally Posted by Toaster29 View Post
      Made another pass today. Only change was half a tank of fuel instead of a full tank. Conditions were a bit better as well, 50 deg. Surprisingly the car didn't hook up quite as well despite the warmer temps, but only minimally so. Still another 3.0 0-60 (again, this is without 1 ft roll out). So close to 130 mph traps, so I'm doing a slight amount of rounding
      Is the GT3 for sale yet?

    4. Member Toaster29's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2000
      Location
      Bama
      Posts
      5,473
      Cars
      RS3, 997TT, Raptor
      06-11-2019 08:40 PM #128
      Well we are coming up on a year with this car. I just took it in for its first service. Had the wheels rotated while they were at it. The only thing I've had an issue with was the passenger rear door handle didn't work from the day I got it. The cable had slipped off the internal portion of the door. They had it fixed in 10 minutes. Otherwise, 100% trouble free. Even with the mods. No check engine lights, no weirdness, no nothing.

      This car, in street guise, continues to be one of my absolute favorite vehicles I have ever owned. I absolutely love it. The looks bring back the B5 warm and fuzzies for me every time I look at it. The color gets more complex with the blues in the paint more noticeable to me now. The engine: oh the engine! The noises are just sensational. The experience sensational. The power sensational. It's playful and lithe. The turbo is loud when I want it to be and silent when it needs to be as well. Same with the exhaust: pissed off pops and bangs with the best rally car impersonation you'll find in the 21st century. Flip a few switches and it is one of the best highway cars I've been in. Quiet and serene. The stereo, though I touched on it before, is unbelievable. It blows every other stereo in any car I've ever had out of the water, including the $6k Burmester system in my old 991.2TT-S. It is so. damn. good.

      APR released the remaining portion of the 4" intake for the RS3 today. This replaces the factory airbox with basically a huge cone filter and a few bits of carbon. I'm off this week, so I ran up to Auburn and bought it. Threw it on the car today. Just a pinch louder in normal use, and really sings when at WOT. As usual with this car, it's perfect


      Untitled by glmmd81, on Flickr





      To sum it up: This is one of the vehicles I will remember back on fondly for the rest of my life. I'm almost a year in and I have absolutely zero interest or thought in selling it, which is saying something for me It is so, so, so entertaining in so many ways. I freakin LOVE it in this modified form
      ‘18 GT3 touring
      ’18 RS3: APR stage 2, BBS CI-R: 10.72 @ 130.5
      '18 Raptor crew cab
      '07 997.1 TT 6MT: FBO OEM turbos, 656 whp, 700 wtq, 5.9 60-130
      Past: Evo 8, R35 GT-R, F80 M3s, C6 Z06, 991TT-S/GT3, etc

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 1st, 2012
      Location
      MI
      Posts
      4,699
      Cars
      2005 Acura TSX
      06-11-2019 09:01 PM #129
      OP, your car is a dual-mode beast: 10 sec, yet quiet cruising. That's amazing.

      Now on to the latest mod: why do you want to pull in hot engine bay air? OEMs do a lot of work to combat this, and now that work is replaced with an air filter that breathes air preheated by a really full engine bay.

    6. Member kiznarsh's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 10th, 2007
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      3,433
      Cars
      E39 M5 | 987.2
      06-12-2019 01:08 AM #130
      Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
      Now on to the latest mod: why do you want to pull in hot engine bay air? OEMs do a lot of work to combat this, and now that work is replaced with an air filter that breathes air preheated by a really full engine bay.
      Probably because at that size, the increase in mass flow outweighs the increase in air temp. Having the intake down behind the fog light with a heat shield would be better but there's no room in that engine bay to route it that way.

    7. Member lowlight's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 8th, 2005
      Location
      Milwaukee, WI
      Posts
      1,909
      Cars
      '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      06-12-2019 05:30 AM #131
      Thanks for the updates Toaster!

      It does say something to hear your praise for this car given your ownership history.

      Looking forward to a RS3 as my next fun winter car. STep one for me is a Giulia QV in ~18 months as my next fun summer car.

      Any concerns running e85 tuned RS3 as my winter car in Wisconsin?
      Current: '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      Past/Sold: '13 Evo, '08 Si, '12 Mustang GT, '03 Evo VIII, '01 Golf 1.8T

    8. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 8th, 2003
      Location
      KCMO
      Posts
      12,119
      Cars
      2019 Audi RS 3
      06-12-2019 07:46 AM #132
      Quote Originally Posted by Toaster29 View Post

      To sum it up: This is one of the vehicles I will remember back on fondly for the rest of my life. I'm almost a year in and I have absolutely zero interest or thought in selling it, which is saying something for me It is so, so, so entertaining in so many ways. I freakin LOVE it in this modified form
      What great timing for a super positive update. My 2019 RS3 got dropped at the Houston port yesterday and should hopefully be in my hands within 10 days. Already got an APR FMIC and midpipes waiting, along with Neuspeed springs and 18x9 wheels with 265s all around. I have never been more excited about a car. Thanks for keeping this thread alive!

    9. Member Toaster29's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2000
      Location
      Bama
      Posts
      5,473
      Cars
      RS3, 997TT, Raptor
      06-12-2019 07:48 AM #133
      Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
      OP, your car is a dual-mode beast: 10 sec, yet quiet cruising. That's amazing.

      Now on to the latest mod: why do you want to pull in hot engine bay air? OEMs do a lot of work to combat this, and now that work is replaced with an air filter that breathes air preheated by a really full engine bay.
      The factory airbox starts to become a significant restriction at around 600 crank hp. This mod is worth 8-10 whp as is. If I go bigger turbo, it's 30-40 whp over the factory airbox. You can mod the factory box, but that basically just cuts a big hole in it, so you get a similar effect as it is just sucking in air from right above the transmission. APR has also done testing that shows at speed that there is no significant change in intake air temps. The whole front of the grill in front of the airbox is where the airflow comes for the factory setup. It is still blowing on the cone when there's vehicle movement.

      Quote Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post
      Probably because at that size, the increase in mass flow outweighs the increase in air temp. Having the intake down behind the fog light with a heat shield would be better but there's no room in that engine bay to route it that way.


      Quote Originally Posted by lowlight View Post
      Thanks for the updates Toaster!

      It does say something to hear your praise for this car given your ownership history.

      Looking forward to a RS3 as my next fun winter car. STep one for me is a Giulia QV in ~18 months as my next fun summer car.

      Any concerns running e85 tuned RS3 as my winter car in Wisconsin?
      Thank you. Honestly, I'm not sure how the car will do with E85 and great white north winters. There are plenty of people with these cars in very cold places and I've not ever seen anybody specifically say anything about E85 behavior in those climes, so I'm sure it's fine.
      Last edited by Toaster29; 06-12-2019 at 08:17 AM.
      ‘18 GT3 touring
      ’18 RS3: APR stage 2, BBS CI-R: 10.72 @ 130.5
      '18 Raptor crew cab
      '07 997.1 TT 6MT: FBO OEM turbos, 656 whp, 700 wtq, 5.9 60-130
      Past: Evo 8, R35 GT-R, F80 M3s, C6 Z06, 991TT-S/GT3, etc

    10. Member Toaster29's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2000
      Location
      Bama
      Posts
      5,473
      Cars
      RS3, 997TT, Raptor
      06-12-2019 07:53 AM #134
      Quote Originally Posted by cseaman View Post
      What great timing for a super positive update. My 2019 RS3 got dropped at the Houston port yesterday and should hopefully be in my hands within 10 days. Already got an APR FMIC and midpipes waiting, along with Neuspeed springs and 18x9 wheels with 265s all around. I have never been more excited about a car. Thanks for keeping this thread alive!
      Congrats! You are definitely doing it right. I think midpipes should be the first mod for these cars, period. It improves the sound tremendously and makes them much more entertaining with zero effect on warranty or emissions or anything. Wheels and tires would be number two on my list. Really, really improves the look and the feel of the car. Hopefully you got some Pilot sport 4S to go on those wheels. FMIC is just icing on the cake. Super easy install. Will make the car decently faster even with the factory tune
      ‘18 GT3 touring
      ’18 RS3: APR stage 2, BBS CI-R: 10.72 @ 130.5
      '18 Raptor crew cab
      '07 997.1 TT 6MT: FBO OEM turbos, 656 whp, 700 wtq, 5.9 60-130
      Past: Evo 8, R35 GT-R, F80 M3s, C6 Z06, 991TT-S/GT3, etc

    11. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 8th, 2003
      Location
      KCMO
      Posts
      12,119
      Cars
      2019 Audi RS 3
      06-12-2019 08:00 AM #135
      Quote Originally Posted by Toaster29 View Post
      Congrats! You are definitely doing it right. I think midpipes should be the first mod for these cars, period. It improves the sound tremendously and makes them much more entertaining with zero effect on warranty or emissions or anything. Wheels and tires would be number two on my list. Really, really improves the look and the feel of the car. Hopefully you got some Pilot sport 4S to go on those wheels. FMIC is just icing on the cake. Super easy install. Will make the car decently faster even with the factory tune
      Thanks man. This thread legitimately assisted me in committing to one, second only to a ride with a local dude in an APR-tuned car on 91 octane in early April. Ordered mine the very next day. I live five blocks from an E85 station so I'm going that route whenever APR gets their 2019 stuff available. Audi also added some different port into the 2019 intake tube, so I've gotta wait on something prior to doing the inlet and cone filter they just released.

      I've been trying to turn my HCI C6Z + Passat daily driver combo into one car for almost nine months and am finally positive that I'm as close as I can possibly get in the sub $70k market.

    12. Member Toaster29's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2000
      Location
      Bama
      Posts
      5,473
      Cars
      RS3, 997TT, Raptor
      06-12-2019 09:54 AM #136
      Quote Originally Posted by cseaman View Post
      Thanks man. This thread legitimately assisted me in committing to one, second only to a ride with a local dude in an APR-tuned car on 91 octane in early April. Ordered mine the very next day. I live five blocks from an E85 station so I'm going that route whenever APR gets their 2019 stuff available. Audi also added some different port into the 2019 intake tube, so I've gotta wait on something prior to doing the inlet and cone filter they just released.

      I've been trying to turn my HCI C6Z + Passat daily driver combo into one car for almost nine months and am finally positive that I'm as close as I can possibly get in the sub $70k market.
      Haha, great. Glad I could help. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have. I was at APR yesterday and they already have a 19 taken apart. Audi did a lot of bizarre things. That new intake tube and banjo bolt are blocked off in places internally. It’s like they were working on something that didn’t pan out and they just gave up and left the pieces there just because.
      ‘18 GT3 touring
      ’18 RS3: APR stage 2, BBS CI-R: 10.72 @ 130.5
      '18 Raptor crew cab
      '07 997.1 TT 6MT: FBO OEM turbos, 656 whp, 700 wtq, 5.9 60-130
      Past: Evo 8, R35 GT-R, F80 M3s, C6 Z06, 991TT-S/GT3, etc

    13. Member Jimmy Russells's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 4th, 2007
      Location
      Vancouver
      Posts
      15,623
      Cars
      RS3, JKU
      06-12-2019 10:32 AM #137
      Quote Originally Posted by Toaster29 View Post
      Congrats! You are definitely doing it right. I think midpipes should be the first mod for these cars, period. It improves the sound tremendously and makes them much more entertaining with zero effect on warranty or emissions or anything. Wheels and tires would be number two on my list. Really, really improves the look and the feel of the car. Hopefully you got some Pilot sport 4S to go on those wheels. FMIC is just icing on the cake. Super easy install. Will make the car decently faster even with the factory tune
      I’m not sure if this is hyperbole, but of course you are affecting emissions, you’re removing two cats off the car. It doesn’t change any sensor readiness and you may even pass sniffer tests with them off, but you are most certainly increasing emissions.

    14. Member Toaster29's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2000
      Location
      Bama
      Posts
      5,473
      Cars
      RS3, 997TT, Raptor
      06-12-2019 11:22 AM #138
      I disagree. ROW cars don’t get them and they have tougher emissions standards than most, if not all, of the US. The main cat has to do the job of scrubbing the exhaust to the acceptable limits. That’s what the secondary 02 is there to monitor. If the secondary cats were required to hit emissions standards, those would be required to be monitored as well, and they aren’t. I think it was the easiest way to hit lower exhaust noise targets for the US market.
      ‘18 GT3 touring
      ’18 RS3: APR stage 2, BBS CI-R: 10.72 @ 130.5
      '18 Raptor crew cab
      '07 997.1 TT 6MT: FBO OEM turbos, 656 whp, 700 wtq, 5.9 60-130
      Past: Evo 8, R35 GT-R, F80 M3s, C6 Z06, 991TT-S/GT3, etc

    15. Member Jimmy Russells's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 4th, 2007
      Location
      Vancouver
      Posts
      15,623
      Cars
      RS3, JKU
      06-12-2019 11:57 AM #139
      Quote Originally Posted by Toaster29 View Post
      I disagree. ROW cars don’t get them and they have tougher emissions standards than most, if not all, of the US. The main cat has to do the job of scrubbing the exhaust to the acceptable limits. That’s what the secondary 02 is there to monitor. If the secondary cats were required to hit emissions standards, those would be required to be monitored as well, and they aren’t. I think it was the easiest way to hit lower exhaust noise targets for the US market.
      ROW doesn't all have them deleted. Depends on market, UK has them for example. You could certainly be correct but the car isn't exactly quiet with them on, and there are far cheaper ways to suppress noise than a pair of 300 cell cats.
      Last edited by Jimmy Russells; 06-12-2019 at 11:59 AM.

    16. 06-12-2019 12:09 PM #140
      Quote Originally Posted by lowlight View Post
      Any concerns running e85 tuned RS3 as my winter car in Wisconsin?
      Will it be parked in a garage? Last winter was cold. It would take a couple attempts to get it started on those days but it never failed to start.

    17. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 3rd, 2000
      Location
      Las Vegas
      Posts
      7,427
      Cars
      '17 S6, B5 S4
      06-12-2019 05:04 PM #141
      Quote Originally Posted by Toaster29 View Post

      APR released the remaining portion of the 4" intake for the RS3 today. This replaces the factory airbox with basically a huge cone filter and a few bits of carbon. I'm off this week, so I ran up to Auburn and bought it. Threw it on the car today. Just a pinch louder in normal use, and really sings when at WOT. As usual with this car, it's perfect


      To sum it up: This is one of the vehicles I will remember back on fondly for the rest of my life. I'm almost a year in and I have absolutely zero interest or thought in selling it, which is saying something for me It is so, so, so entertaining in so many ways. I freakin LOVE it in this modified form
      Have you replaced the throttle body yet? The pic of yours looks stock. It's a major restriction area stock. Silly Rabbit has a very nice replacement that is a serious power-adder for not much money...

    18. Member Toaster29's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2000
      Location
      Bama
      Posts
      5,473
      Cars
      RS3, 997TT, Raptor
      06-13-2019 09:52 AM #142
      Quote Originally Posted by jacobyb View Post
      Have you replaced the throttle body yet? The pic of yours looks stock. It's a major restriction area stock. Silly Rabbit has a very nice replacement that is a serious power-adder for not much money...

      You are thinking of the throttle body inlet. It isn’t that restrictive, like 5-7 whp on a car in similar tune to mine. When you go bigger the gains grow. APR has a really slick cast TB inlet and upper IC pipe combo coming out later this year that outflows all the competition. Waiting on that.
      ‘18 GT3 touring
      ’18 RS3: APR stage 2, BBS CI-R: 10.72 @ 130.5
      '18 Raptor crew cab
      '07 997.1 TT 6MT: FBO OEM turbos, 656 whp, 700 wtq, 5.9 60-130
      Past: Evo 8, R35 GT-R, F80 M3s, C6 Z06, 991TT-S/GT3, etc

    19. Member Off Pump's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 4th, 2017
      Location
      Indianapolis
      Posts
      262
      Cars
      14 JGC Hemi, 69 Camaro SS 396
      06-13-2019 10:27 AM #143
      Amazing project. Makes me want one. It's a monster.

      Shame they wont put this engine in a A4, would love to have a bit bigger car with it.

      Look foward to the S4/RS engines being cracked to see if they have crazy gains in them too.
      Formerly Internal Combustion (4/2007)
      1969 Camaro SS 396- 396, M21 4 sp manuel, usual goodies
      14 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 17 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
      Old: 335xi, E320, Accord, WK, TJ, ZJ 5.9, Camaro, Prius

    20. 06-13-2019 10:45 AM #144
      This motor is absolutely epic.

      I wish the S4 had this motor in it, that would be about perfect. As it stands the RS3 is cramped for family use, which sucks.

    21. Member Jimmy Russells's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 4th, 2007
      Location
      Vancouver
      Posts
      15,623
      Cars
      RS3, JKU
      06-13-2019 11:09 AM #145
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
      This motor is absolutely epic.

      I wish the S4 had this motor in it, that would be about perfect. As it stands the RS3 is cramped for family use, which sucks.

      It's small, yeah. When you really look at the numbers in the back seat though, the A4 etc isn't that much bigger. It's about 1/2" bigger in each dimension. The trunk is a lot bigger though.

      In any event the 2.5T is for transverse application so it's not going anywhere other than MQB.

    22. 06-13-2019 12:43 PM #146
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      It's small, yeah. When you really look at the numbers in the back seat though, the A4 etc isn't that much bigger. It's about 1/2" bigger in each dimension. The trunk is a lot bigger though.

      In any event the 2.5T is for transverse application so it's not going anywhere other than MQB.
      Would it fit longitudinally? Who knows?

      On paper, the A4 may not look much bigger, but I can comfortably sit in the back seat without having to crane my head because it's hitting the roof like in the A3 sedan. Alternatively, the RS3 hatch would have worked as well but of course we don't get it over here . . .

    23. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 3rd, 2000
      Location
      Las Vegas
      Posts
      7,427
      Cars
      '17 S6, B5 S4
      06-13-2019 05:10 PM #147
      Quote Originally Posted by Toaster29 View Post
      You are thinking of the throttle body inlet. It isn’t that restrictive, like 5-7 whp on a car in similar tune to mine. When you go bigger the gains grow. APR has a really slick cast TB inlet and upper IC pipe combo coming out later this year that outflows all the competition. Waiting on that.
      Guess where they got their design from...lol. Almost all the 9 second cars are using the SRM parts.

    24. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 8th, 2003
      Location
      KCMO
      Posts
      12,119
      Cars
      2019 Audi RS 3
      06-15-2019 12:15 PM #148
      Quote Originally Posted by Toaster29 View Post
      Haha, great. Glad I could help. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have. I was at APR yesterday and they already have a 19 taken apart. Audi did a lot of bizarre things. That new intake tube and banjo bolt are blocked off in places internally. It’s like they were working on something that didn’t pan out and they just gave up and left the pieces there just because.




      Cannot wait to get into it. Absolutely ecstatic about the swap.

    25. Member Toaster29's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2000
      Location
      Bama
      Posts
      5,473
      Cars
      RS3, 997TT, Raptor
      Yesterday 10:14 AM #149
      Quote Originally Posted by Off Pump View Post
      Amazing project. Makes me want one. It's a monster.

      Shame they wont put this engine in a A4, would love to have a bit bigger car with it.

      Look foward to the S4/RS engines being cracked to see if they have crazy gains in them too.
      They are a lot of fun. Like I said earlier, the engine has a fair amount of lag by today's standards. I'm not sure the average A4/S4 buyer would be ok with that. I've seen APR's development RS5. I don't have my fingers crossed. Everything is small: the plumbing, the AWIC, etc.

      Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
      This motor is absolutely epic.

      I wish the S4 had this motor in it, that would be about perfect. As it stands the RS3 is cramped for family use, which sucks.
      Yep, just looking at the numbers it makes sense, but my buddy has an S4 and it has much, much more power below 3k rpm compared to my car even with a catless downpipe, etc. Just not sure that demographic would like the power delivery of the 2.5L

      Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
      Would it fit longitudinally? Who knows?

      On paper, the A4 may not look much bigger, but I can comfortably sit in the back seat without having to crane my head because it's hitting the roof like in the A3 sedan. Alternatively, the RS3 hatch would have worked as well but of course we don't get it over here . . .
      A4/S4 feels a lot bigger to me in the back as well.

      Quote Originally Posted by cseaman View Post




      Cannot wait to get into it. Absolutely ecstatic about the swap.
      Woohoo! Congrats again man! You're going to love it. The S4 is a super nice car, but refined to the point that it is a bit boring. The RS3 fixes all of that. Enjoy!
      Last edited by Toaster29; Yesterday at 10:16 AM.
      ‘18 GT3 touring
      ’18 RS3: APR stage 2, BBS CI-R: 10.72 @ 130.5
      '18 Raptor crew cab
      '07 997.1 TT 6MT: FBO OEM turbos, 656 whp, 700 wtq, 5.9 60-130
      Past: Evo 8, R35 GT-R, F80 M3s, C6 Z06, 991TT-S/GT3, etc

    Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •