Fourtitude.com - another bad idea - (the slowest) rwd diesel vw! (westy content)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
      Cars
      Germany, 1986
      01-12-2019 03:08 AM #126
      Quote Originally Posted by 16volt View Post
      If you can afford the corebaus you could afford these...
      Jeebus tap dancing christ.....what is it with people on BaT. 2300 bucks for incomplete, hammered seats.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...s-sport-seats/

You've got PM Ved.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Cars
      all the diesels, and an mg
      02-17-2019 06:25 PM #127
      some quick updates... mostly pictures

ive been daily driving the van since mid january or so, and its been solid so far approaching a couple thousand miles of commuting.
      slow, but consistently returns mid-30s and the novelty hasnt worn off yet

lot of chaos around the shop hacking up the mk4.
      lots to do still before we get to swapping
      exchanged a lot of emails with Malone on the tdi tune, and i think this will be a great driver after the swap and tune.
      lot of interior rework on our to do list also... once i get to tearing into it this spring/summer i suspect itll end up nearly all the way stripped down inside and out.

the plan is to have it back together sometime in fall so we can take it for a few long trips before next winter.

onto the hacking!

it takes quite a few small pickup loads to throw away and recycle a mk4!

Cars
      '84 Mk1 Jetta GLI ABA S/C, '89 Vanagon Carat Whitestar, '17 Golf Alltrack, '16 GTI PP
      02-17-2019 11:56 PM #128
      Nice thread, just catching up on it. Having done everything cooling related on our '89 Weekender, in several stages of course I can highly suggest that build a "libby bong" as it makes things so much easier to fill and be done in just about one shot with no mess. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vi...highlight=bong With the radiator bleed higher than the fill point in the back it's super hard to get all the air out unless you use one of these.

Also for the seats check Sewfine, our front seats were redone with new foam and covers and they are great for long distance road trips. Good luck with the rest of the project!
      DCI - Party time, excellent.

Cars
      1975 280Z/2012 Maxima SV/2012 Chevy Cruze eco
      02-18-2019 02:41 AM #129
      In!

6. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Cars
      02-18-2019 01:45 PM #130
      Quote Originally Posted by Bicycle019 View Post
      Nice thread, just catching up on it. Having done everything cooling related on our '89 Weekender, in several stages of course I can highly suggest that build a "libby bong" as it makes things so much easier to fill and be done in just about one shot with no mess. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vi...highlight=bong With the radiator bleed higher than the fill point in the back it's super hard to get all the air out unless you use one of these.

Also for the seats check Sewfine, our front seats were redone with new foam and covers and they are great for long distance road trips. Good luck with the rest of the project!
      unfortunately the libby bong doesnt fit on our early style overflow tank, kind of a double pain in the ass as youve probably seen almost all discussion of coolant bleeding on samba eventually leads back to "use the libby bong"
      ill probably end up doing something like that after the tdi swap when we've updated to the more modern screw-cap style overflow tank
      plus the bong is a lot more simple than the vacuum setup i used, though the vacuum setup is probably the quickest way to get it done, not requiring any real burping after the 30sec fill up

i ran across sewfine when we were doing our curtains. impressive amount of interior stuff for all kinds of older vws!
      since our seats will need basically everything replaced, the price after foam, fabric, etc seemed at first to be pretty high... all to end up with fairly uninspired original seats (since ours also dont have arm rests).
      my current thinking is to leave them around when we pull ours just in case this thing ever becomes uber-collectible, but not being too concerned with originality i think the bang for the buck isnt quite there redoing the originals.
      that said, i may have to run those numbers again before pulling the trigger on aftermarket seats... since adding brackets to fit some other sort of seats does add expense going the other way...
      the abundance of choice is a good problem to have!

Cars
      '67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '01 S8, '13 CC
      02-19-2019 09:22 AM #131
      Quote Originally Posted by Bicycle019 View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      i ran across sewfine when we were doing our curtains. impressive amount of interior stuff for all kinds of older vws!
      since our seats will need basically everything replaced, the price after foam, fabric, etc seemed at first to be pretty high... all to end up with fairly uninspired original seats (since ours also dont have arm rests).
      my current thinking is to leave them around when we pull ours just in case this thing ever becomes uber-collectible, but not being too concerned with originality i think the bang for the buck isnt quite there redoing the originals.
      that said, i may have to run those numbers again before pulling the trigger on aftermarket seats... since adding brackets to fit some other sort of seats does add expense going the other way...
      the abundance of choice is a good problem to have!
      I have new covers and foam for the seats in my bus still in a box from Sewfine. Need to get on that...

8. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Cars
      04-16-2019 05:56 PM #132
      got some big plans for the van this summer despite moving and whatnot throwing a bit of a wrench in things.

nearly all the parts on hand now to totally overhaul the interior and spruce up the kitchen, add a secondary battery system, and get it ready for some camping this summer. unfortunately will have to wait a bit until we get everything hauled up north...
      but the tdi swap plan now is after our last camping trip ill take it off the road and get started on all the engine work. chatted with german transaxle today and they recommended keeping the DZ trans weve got, since it has a tdi favorable final drive, and starting out trans build from there. so i think thats what ill do.

in the meantime to distract from moving, im itching to do something to the van with all this stuff sitting around
      i redid the door seals and hatch seal, did some sound deadening and removed the scuzzy original insulation, and put LEDs all around.
      was so impressed with the LEDs i ordered a set for the mg also. incredible the difference. and the van being the slowest thing on the road i figured more visibility wouldnt hurt!

for the sound insulation i did a layer of the heavier nico sticky mat similar to dynamat, then a layer of their medium thickness foam. we'll see how much of a difference it makes (i suspect not nearly as much as the new exterior seals) but it cant hurt and was pretty inexpensive

so far only did the hatch and sliding door for noise treatment, the only two ive swapped to ABS panels so far.
      other panels will have to wait until we tear everything out of the interior.

bang for the $ i think this, and the front door seals, will be the major noise upgrade. the front door seals were toast. i did get any pictures as theyre a sticky mess to reinstall but everything was in similar, likely original, condition

got new lenses for the taillights while i was making things shinier since the originals were cracked and faded
      and i hadnt been on superbrightled's website in a long time, but they have a rad vehicle bulb finder now that even has the vanagon on it
      easy enough to piece together your own bulb kit just double checking the original bulb bases.
      only thing i wish theyd do is let you add notes to each line item on the receipt since i had to redo my check when i went to install them all, since its just a jumble of letters and numbers and most of the bulbs look similar when they show up - but light up different colors.

did the front turns but didnt get a picture, theyre just a simple dual function amber, very similar to the rear turns (which were single function).

ill have a ton more in a month or so when we start gutting it for the interior work

9. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      04-16-2019 06:02 PM #133
      Wow! Those tails look much better!

Seals make great upgrades in both function and looks. I've been going around the Beetle and after I get the hood and deck like next will be windows, including the roll-up windows. I'm not looking forward to that, but it will improve the car immensely. How are your window scrapers and are they available?
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

10. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Cars
      04-16-2019 06:27 PM #134
      thanks! yeah i was surprised how much worse the originals looked once i had the new ones in hand haha

the window scrapers are in pretty sad shape also, but luckily all that stuff is available. its on the list for sure though. and theyre so loose the windows rattle a bit on certain roads so its even more reason to replace them

04-16-2019 06:52 PM #135
      I was hoping to see some updates on this thread. Love this rig and your plans for it.

Chris
      | 17 Elantra | 18 JLU Sport | 01 BMW 740 iL | 91 Dynasty | 74 SuperBeetle | 62 Ford Unibody | The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

12. Member
      04-17-2019 08:47 AM #136
      Looks wonderful! Can’t wait to see what’s next

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Cars
      05-10-2019 02:14 AM #137
      now that we're moved, the van-hacking begins!

turns out its not really too much trouble to pull the cabinets out of these things. will be even easier next time as i will have deleted the cabinet fridge. i was kind of dreading it after reading samba posts but the whole mess is pretty cleverly only held down by a handful of bolts and brackets

out with the old purple-everywhere motif the PO had going on...

my main goals with this were to remove the nasty factory insulation, pull the fridge, and get the wall to wall to wall crap carpet out of there. and replace any missing cabinet brackets and fittings along the way. turns out when you put carpet all over the place, it makes it hard for the cabinets to line up so they decided to just toss the original hold down brackets for a good bit of the cabinetry. van people

the cabinets themselves are in pretty solid shape otherwise, luckily.
      the surface adhesive is failing in some spots but mostly on hidden shelves and whatnot. it pains me to put parts back in that arent good as new ... but... i have to keep reminding myself that this thing is meant to get used, and if it were "perfect" id probably not want to camp in it. so, with that i wont really be doing much cabinet refurb.

while im in there im replacing all the original (ruined, again thanks to the purple carpet and spray adhesive) panels with ABS ones. and laying down some sound deadening and sound foam stuff.

also replacing all of the various subfloor pieces, since the main original piece was... you guessed it, ruined due to purple carpet. but judging by the condition of the other smaller side and rear pieces, it was probably about time to for that to get tossed anyway.

in the good news department, it seems like there wasnt much rust behind the fridge thankfully. some light surface crust, but i knocked that all back and sealed it.

should have most of the cabinets back in tomorrow.

the real fun will come with the new secondary battery wiring which will be the bulk of the work of the interior redo. wont photograph well but we'll see how it goes

Cars
      Germany, 1986
      05-10-2019 12:43 PM #138
      Looks great, so rewarding to get rid of junk.

I am out of town for the next two weekends but let me know if you want some help.

Cars
      German Vans, British cars, and a motorbike.
      05-10-2019 01:07 PM #139
      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      the real fun will come with the new secondary battery wiring which will be the bulk of the work of the interior redo. wont photograph well but we'll see how it goes
      Where are you going to put the battery, and what kind of combiner are you going to use?

16. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      05-10-2019 01:47 PM #140
      This is about to get interesting!

Good luck, love your work.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

17. Junior Member
      Cars
      2019 SUBARU BRZ SERIES GRAY, 1966 IH SCOUT 800, 1970 MGB GT
      05-10-2019 01:52 PM #141
      Nicely done work.

18. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Cars
      05-10-2019 10:35 PM #142
      thanks guys!

ive been waiting on a lot of stuff to come together to get started on this, really happy its finally happening.

Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post
      Where are you going to put the battery, and what kind of combiner are you going to use?
      ill be using a bluesea ACR and fuse box, and an iota 30A converter/charger. that iota looked a bit more appropriate for RV type use than the long term boat moorage type maintainer that gowesty sells for about the same money..

i hemmed and hawed on the battery size and location but eventually ended up on a standard group 24 that ill shove under the rear seat.
      was initially thinking to use a smaller sealed battery and jam it into the cubby under the drivers seat but that seemed like a compromise in size/location and was going to be a fair bit more money per amp hour.

once i get the cabinets and seat back in the next adventure will be figuring out packaging for all of this stuff. i want to keep the fuse box near the battery but may end up moving it if there isnt a great home for it under the seat.
      i also want to mount our webasto under there though, so we'll see how that shakes out...

19. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Cars
      06-21-2019 02:02 PM #143
      56k warning

interior is done now... and i think we're set for updates for this camping season. fall/winter will bring the powertrain overhaul

new aux batt setup, webasto, fridge, console/cb, awning, etc

need to do some cleaning this weekend and get it out of the shop in prep for camping in a bit over a week so ill try and take some more pictures then, but for now heres all the inside stuff.

i still need to finish bleeding the fuel line to the webasto - starts up and runs for a bit but shuts itself off due to not reaching temperature. but im happy i was able to route its outlet through to the vents up front behind the seats where the original aux heater outlet is.

i had an old vdo gauge and standoff kicking around so i set that up as a voltage monitor for the aux batt on a momentary switch so its not adding to the parasitic draw

smash cut to... finished interior (wiring and cabinet fitting progress work doesnt photograph that well )

20. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-21-2019 02:39 PM #144
      That looks really good! I like the flooring. It's much nicer than frosted purpleberry.

I don't know much about Webasto products. Is that one a heater only? Do they make heater/AC units too?
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Cars
      Germany, 1986
      06-21-2019 02:41 PM #145
      Looks nice man, lotta work there.

Now fix those front seats.

22. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Cars
      06-24-2019 12:40 PM #146
      thanks guys yeah, way too much work. prelude to the tdi swap nonsense but i want to enjoy the summer in it first !

the webasto is just a little controlled diesel fire, with lots of fins they blow another air circuit over for heat. its meant for semi/rv applications and this is the smallest 2kw variant. tons of chinese knock offs around these days, but i got this thing for almost nothing from my previous employer... im not sure if they make an ac unit, im sort of familiar with the semi cab installations and they use a totally different circuit for their aux. a/c setups

Quote Originally Posted by 16volt View Post
      Looks nice man, lotta work there.

Now fix those front seats.
      im planning on scooping those up in a couple weeks still!

06-24-2019 12:50 PM #147
      Just to make sure I'm following along, you've got a TDI swap waiting in the wings for this, right? What's your goal on that?

Chris
      | 17 Elantra | 18 JLU Sport | 01 BMW 740 iL | 91 Dynasty | 74 SuperBeetle | 62 Ford Unibody | The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

24. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Cars
      06-24-2019 12:55 PM #148
      Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      Just to make sure I'm following along, you've got a TDI swap waiting in the wings for this, right? What's your goal on that?

Chris
      yeah, thats whats left of the mk4 that got torn apart earlier this year.

goal for that, pending how our house projects go which may throw a timeline wrench in things, is to get started on the engine swap in the fall/winter, and have it ready for road tripping next spring.
      will need to get the trans refreshed and regeared, get the engine adapter kit from FAS, and build the cooling, intake/air to water, and wiring stuff. plan is to get it tuned with the malone stage 2/clutch saver tune. and get the egr and asv delete in the process.
      should be a fun swap, at least make this thing somewhat more modern

Cars
      15 GSW, 19 Tiguan SE, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      06-24-2019 01:02 PM #149
      Great updates. Nice work on that interior that looks incredibly clean.

26. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Cars
      07-14-2019 03:37 PM #150
      beyond stoked with how easy this thing is to camp in.

the pop top is gross though, that needs to be replaced asap - need to track down a local-ish shop thats willing to do that as i dont think i have the time and manpower here to deal with it before summer is out.

it also sprung a large coolant leak the morning before we were supposed to leave for the 4th (because of course it did, after being problem free for all of my commuting in OR), but luckily some silicone tape and zip ties tied that all up.
      the fix held for the couple hour round trip camping but now im weighing my options on redoing the cooling system for this diesel before we tdi swap, or just leaving my ghetto fix and carrying some more tape (backstory - the diesel van coolant hoses are somewhat rare/expensive and wont really be useful for the tdi swap).

the webasto chinese knockoff fuel pump i got appears to be bad, so im trying another one... figure i can try a few knockoffs before spending a couple hundred on the oem bit. and people seem to have good luck with the full chinese knockoff kits so i probably just got a bad sample.

otherwise, having a fridge to camp with is a game changer. so nice not having soggy food.

and i got the rear mudflaps on before the trip, really liking the way it looks now with all 4 flaps, reminds me a little bit of an offroad toaster

and we got 16volts seats, so that should be a fun comfortable upgrade in a few weeks if i can find time to get everything together.

hopefully more to come soon

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast