Fourtitude.com - LG G7 ThinQ vs the new Google Pixel 3/3 XL?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Fourtitude.com


    Results 1 to 11 of 11
    1. 10-09-2018 06:41 PM #1
      I'm in the market for a new smartphone. My Motorola Droid Turbo that has served me for over 4.5 years soft-bricked itself and I can't figure out so far how to resurrect it from its comatose state. I did like Motorola devices a lot, but their more recent ones seem a bit disappointing, as my partner has a comparatively newer Droid Maxx 2 and it's been quite a bit glitchier than expected with hanging, unresponsiveness, etc. Current Motorolas don't seem to be at the top of their class according to reviews either.

      That said, it seems that there isn't much out there in the midrange ($400 to $700). It's either flagship devices above $700 or low-end stuff that doesn't perform well and/or doesn't meet my requirements in the under-$400 range.

      Requirements:
      Android (mostly because I'm already invested in the Google ecosystem and joining an Apple ecosystem is a commitment I don't need)
      Good battery life
      Good speakerphone and call volume (my Droid Turbo fell down terribly here)
      Decent sound/music but I'm not a full audiophile either
      32GB and expandable storage or 64GB non-expandable *minimum* (I had 32GB non-expandable on my Droid Turbo and it is not enough)
      Generally, the larger the size, the better (I'm late 40s and little phones are just too hard on my eyes now)
      I prefer to purchase an unlocked phone but it must work on Verizon (not changing my plan)

      The LG G7 ThinQ compares well to the Pixel 3/3 XL and size-wise is much closer to the 3 XL than the 3 yet costs ~$50 less than the regular 3:
      https://www.phonearena.com/phones/co...79,10932,10926

      On paper I honestly don't see any major deficiency with the LG G7 ThinQ even though it's about 6 months old now and the new Pixels don't seem all that "wow" to me by comparison to be worth the extra money.

      Google claims the camera is the best out there and even the Pixel 2 XL's camera got great reviews.

      But the LG G7 seems to tick a lot of the boxes as well:
      64GB *and* expandable storage (Pixels have no expandability other than paying another $100 for the 128GB version)
      Claimed AI logic for photos (how good compared to Google's Pixel 3 IDK though)
      Reviews say great speakerphone and great sound due to speaker and hardware design
      Headphone jack (nice-to-have, although I usually have bluetooth headphones)
      Possible (I think) Mirrorlink support for the car in addition to Android Auto (Mirrorlink I have read isn't that great but I kinda like choices nonetheless)
      If the camera is 85% as good as the Pixel 3, I'll be ok with that

      My concerns about the LG G7 are battery life (some say it's OK some say it's worse than average and has been a longstanding LG weak point in general), upgradeability to Android Pie (allegedly coming before the end of the year but I'll believe it when I see it), and what about the LG UI and bloatware (it probably isn't plain stock Android).

      Anyone have an LG G7 ThinQ that can comment on the device? Do you feel like you should have waited for a Pixel 3/3XL?

      EDIT: Dang, meant to put this in Electronics/Gadgets. Mods feel free to move if necessary.

      Thanks!
      Last edited by gti_matt; 10-09-2018 at 06:46 PM.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Member
      Join Date
      May 15th, 2001
      Location
      Ocean Grove, NJ
      Posts
      2,317
      Cars
      98 740iL, 18 i3 REX, 13 Mini Clubbie S, 20 Bolt, 18 Si
      10-11-2018 10:26 AM #2
      We just ordered two new Pixel3's this morning - one is an XL.

      One of us already has a Pixel2; I am swapping my Note8 for one. The Note is just too damn big.

      While I no experience with the LG phone, can tell you why I went Pixel-

      I never use any of the Samsung or manufacturer provided apps (for mail, etc.) I use Google apps.
      Pixel is 100% Android - no skins, no manufacturer junk - which also means immediate updates. No waiting.
      Pixel2 photos are stunning
      Most of our storage is photos - and Google provides free storage. We are rarely if ever in an area without LTE or WiFi, so accessing them is not an issue.
      Android Auto. It's only in one car, but not worth fiddling with Mirrorcast.
      Front firing speakers

    4. 10-11-2018 01:28 PM #3
      Did you order your Pixels from Verizon or unlocked on the Google store?

      Interestingly enough, a new LG (V40 ThinQ) just showed up on Verizon's site this morning for pre-order and shipping on 10/18. Clearly it's aimed squarely at the Pixel 3 XL. It's $50 more bought outright but $150 less if you take the deal of them crediting you $200 over 24 months. LG screen is a smidge bigger, body is nearly identical in size, slightly lighter weight, has expandable storage, bigger battery, better (alleged) standby time and usage time, and has 2 more GB of RAM. Ships with 8.1 though, not 9.0 but i assume that will be updated soon.

      But you definitely make a case for the purity of the Pixel's OS which is highly tempting and I think Google is better about upgrading the OS (so they say) over time more so than other brands.

      Now I'm really conflicted and in a state of mental "analysis paralysis" LOL.

      LG G7 ThinQ - sounds like a good phone and cheaper price, probably 90% as good as Pixel 3XL.
      Pixel 3 XL - great phone I'm sure and pure Android.
      LG V40 ThinQ - surprasses the Pixel 3 XL slightly with battery, RAM, and expandable storage, but could be polluted with LG bloat.


    5. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    6. Member
      Join Date
      May 15th, 2001
      Location
      Ocean Grove, NJ
      Posts
      2,317
      Cars
      98 740iL, 18 i3 REX, 13 Mini Clubbie S, 20 Bolt, 18 Si
      10-11-2018 03:28 PM #4
      We ordered through Verizon for the buy one get one. My partner has had his own account but there is no point when I have a Family Plan. So I was able to add the line, get the freebie, and then port his number over.

      His 2 gets updates way before my Samsung, The Oreo update? His had it a solid 6 months before me. Heck he already has Pie on his 2.

      As far as RAM, yes it has more. But manufacturers skins and bloat take up a bit of that as operating memory; Pixel doesn't need it since there is no skin. For us, storage isn't a huge deal since pics stay on the cloud along with almost anything else.

      Besides thee camera, my second favorite Pixel feature is the front speakers. No more cupping your hand over the end of the phone to listen

    7. 10-11-2018 03:39 PM #5
      Pixel all the way for me:

      I only want stock Android with timely updates (My current phone is a Nokia Android One)

      After running a Gcam port on my Nokia with crappy picture quality, I've seen first hand what Google's image processing can do. I can't even describe it. Only downside is it takes ~5 seconds to post process each snap and it crashes 1/3rd of the time. Having that baked into a post-processing chip like the Pixel is now a must have for me.

      There's a decent chance Google will continue the trade in program, which means you should get some money back in the future even if the phone is dead.

    8. 10-11-2018 07:48 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by TDIBUGMAN View Post
      We ordered through Verizon for the buy one get one. My partner has had his own account but there is no point when I have a Family Plan. So I was able to add the line, get the freebie, and then port his number over.

      His 2 gets updates way before my Samsung, The Oreo update? His had it a solid 6 months before me. Heck he already has Pie on his 2.

      As far as RAM, yes it has more. But manufacturers skins and bloat take up a bit of that as operating memory; Pixel doesn't need it since there is no skin. For us, storage isn't a huge deal since pics stay on the cloud along with almost anything else.

      Besides thee camera, my second favorite Pixel feature is the front speakers. No more cupping your hand over the end of the phone to listen
      I saw the freebie offer on Best Buy's site too and was wondering how to possibly foozle our way into that. I wouldn't mind a new cell number either to get away from spam with my current number and I've been starting to use my Google Voice number when I give out my number so it gives me more control and masks the real number. I never give out my native cell number anymore.

      I like the idea of the timely updates for sure.

      Sound-wise I have not heard the LG G7 ThinQ in person but the front speaker is one thing that every review mentions as very good both in quality and loudness (might even beat the Pixels) and the V40 ThinQ has the same design. But I hope the Pixels are still quite good there.

      Only bummer about the Verizon deal is the phone is a Verizon phone I'm sure and not an unlocked one. Still concerned about Verizon bloatware apps there even if no skin.

      I've seen a few more LG reviews and they do say the skin slows things down a little. Despite the expandable storage on the LGs, I think I'm now leaning Pixel 3 XL...just have to decide 64 or 128. Gotta check my photo library size. I guess you do get unlimited Google Photos storage with it (so they say) but I'm not big on clouding my stuff and I currently do not use Google Photos at all.

    9. Member
      Join Date
      May 15th, 2001
      Location
      Ocean Grove, NJ
      Posts
      2,317
      Cars
      98 740iL, 18 i3 REX, 13 Mini Clubbie S, 20 Bolt, 18 Si
      10-12-2018 09:24 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by gti_matt View Post
      I saw the freebie offer on Best Buy's site too and was wondering how to possibly foozle our way into that. I wouldn't mind a new cell number either to get away from spam with my current number and I've been starting to use my Google Voice number when I give out my number so it gives me more control and masks the real number. I never give out my native cell number anymore.

      I like the idea of the timely updates for sure.

      Sound-wise I have not heard the LG G7 ThinQ in person but the front speaker is one thing that every review mentions as very good both in quality and loudness (might even beat the Pixels) and the V40 ThinQ has the same design. But I hope the Pixels are still quite good there.

      Only bummer about the Verizon deal is the phone is a Verizon phone I'm sure and not an unlocked one. Still concerned about Verizon bloatware apps there even if no skin.

      I've seen a few more LG reviews and they do say the skin slows things down a little. Despite the expandable storage on the LGs, I think I'm now leaning Pixel 3 XL...just have to decide 64 or 128. Gotta check my photo library size. I guess you do get unlimited Google Photos storage with it (so they say) but I'm not big on clouding my stuff and I currently do not use Google Photos at all.

      Add a line, use that number, and abandon the old one? I really don't know if that would work. You could put one of the new phones on another existing line.

      I wasn't aware of the front speakers on the LG - I was more focused on what I wanted.

      Google Photos is free through January 2022. After there there will be a charge for NEW photos, but you'll always have free access to what you have uploaded. Since that's most of what my storage is, I'm ok with a 64 phone.

    10. 10-12-2018 02:19 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by TDIBUGMAN View Post
      Google Photos is free through January 2022. After there there will be a charge for NEW photos, but you'll always have free access to what you have uploaded. Since that's most of what my storage is, I'm ok with a 64 phone.
      My photos and music come to just over 38GB. Android OS usually takes up about 6-7GB, so on a 64GB phone that leaves about 21GB for apps and their data. Could be a little snug over time because more and more, everything is an app. If I expect this phone to last me several years I might pony up for the 128GB version.

      Really wish that it just had a micro SD card expansion to keep things simple though.

    11. 10-19-2018 05:48 PM #9
      We ended up getting the Pixel 3 XL after all and went for the 128GB version. They are from the Verizon store and are the Verizon flavored versions but they're not at all loaded up with bloatware, so it's a relatively pure Android experience. Any Verizon-flavoring is so minimal it's barely noticeable and the current BOGO deal is too good to pass up. My old phone was dead and I was using an old KitKat device temporarily and my partner wasn't in love with his phone this time around, so this worked out quite well.

      So far I am enjoying the phone other than being a little nervous about damaging it until my case and screen protectors arrive.

    12. Member
      Join Date
      May 15th, 2001
      Location
      Ocean Grove, NJ
      Posts
      2,317
      Cars
      98 740iL, 18 i3 REX, 13 Mini Clubbie S, 20 Bolt, 18 Si
      10-23-2018 11:06 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by gti_matt View Post
      We ended up getting the Pixel 3 XL after all and went for the 128GB version. They are from the Verizon store and are the Verizon flavored versions but they're not at all loaded up with bloatware, so it's a relatively pure Android experience. Any Verizon-flavoring is so minimal it's barely noticeable and the current BOGO deal is too good to pass up. My old phone was dead and I was using an old KitKat device temporarily and my partner wasn't in love with his phone this time around, so this worked out quite well.

      So far I am enjoying the phone other than being a little nervous about damaging it until my case and screen protectors arrive.
      Fellow Pixel Partners.

      Ours were delivered Thursday, but we got them Friday.

      I got a regular one, he got an XL. The BOGO was a no brainer.

      Coming from a Note8, it's so much more seamless than the Note, since Samsung software isn't always trying to run. Pictures are amazingly good; still need to play with the settings. And getting used to the swipe UP for open apps and then swipe right to close all. A small leaning curve.

      Ultimately, I'll order a case from www.carved.com For now, though, I have a clear thing on it until I decide which one I want. It's from Speck; my only complaint is the power and volume buttons are stiff. I'm sure they will break in, but it makes the double power button press tricky for the camera.

    13. 11-21-2018 02:23 PM #11
      So far I like my Pixel 3 XL, although I'm not overwhelmed by it either. Either it's a bit of an overhyped device or my previous Motorola Droid Turbo was simply really REALLY good and ahead of its time. I like this phone but it somehow doesn't feel leaps and bounds better nor does it feel 4 years newer than my old one. In short, I do recommend the Pixel 3 XL, but I'm glad I didn't pay full price for it and I wouldn't recommend it at full price either.

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •