Fourtitude.com - General cycling training discussion (physiological, not skills)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    1. 07-18-2019 12:02 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
      Edit - I've started using a HRM on my rides. I'm not really sure that I'll use it for training purposes, but it's a nice to see that yes, I do work a little harder on MTB rides. It's always felt like it.
      For me, the heart rate monitor has been a life saver. It has saved me from being burned out while making my "training" a little more specific. It's not as specific as a power meter, but imo, you don't really need that unless you are trying to podium in CAT 1. Last year, I felt super burned out by the end of the year and looking back, 75% of my mtb rides had me in heart rate Zone 5 for 45 minutes to over an hour. It's so easy to ride in zone 5 on a MTB. This year, I have been trying to keep my zone 5 rides that exceed 20 minutes to once every couple weeks and it has made a world of difference. I feel fresh and I am actually faster (go figure).

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      Ghetto35, Lifted AWD Prius
      07-18-2019 12:35 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by vwconvert View Post
      For me, the heart rate monitor has been a life saver...
      Interesting. Based on the handful of HR rides I've done lately, it looks like I average around 80-85% of my max on paved/regular gravel rides (mostly flat) and 85-90% on MTB/fast gravel rides (not mostly flat). All have spurts up to about 95% for bit here and there. I've never hit my theoretical max, assuming my chest strap HRM is relatively accurate. I typically ride for 60-75 minutes, so nothing super long. I imagine that letting your body recover by taking it easy regularly is a good thing. I should try that sometime.

4. 07-19-2019 01:17 PM #53
      Trying to raise the needle some more. I started tracking my stuff from Trainingpeaks free edition in an excel sheet. That way I get all their non-free stuff to train by like CTL, ATL, TSB. I can also track those by "zone".

I dedicated for a couple months to a solid amount of zone 4 aerobic work. That was worth it. The "middle engine" really grew a LOT. I went from just doing the hills and hard efforts on the group ride to being able to pretty much pull for 10 minutes on the A ride, and then still pull them off my wheel up the hill at the end of the pull.

I got the CTL up to 60 from around 40 in the past 2 months with some long gravel rides weekly. Since, I've reduced volume and added intensity back in.

Doing my 3x8's and sets of 3x3min. There is zero hiding from a 3min interval. It's bad. I've been dying on the last rep of the last set on the last minute. Today I'd have gotten it but was hacking up a lung during two of the reps.

Been doing the 3x3min sets at 350w. Goal is to finish the year with 320 for 20min, 280w for an hour, and gain some power in the 2min range also.

To make the group ride as tough as the out-of-town hammer/A+ ride, I will usually do a workout set at lunch at work and then warmup for 5 miles before the group ride. That makes it tougher along with the long pulls.

We had a strong noob triathlete girl show up a few times lately keep coming around the group to the front before hills so she can drift back and not get dropped. Smart, but we ain't leaving you if you belong on the A ride.

Last time this happened I pulled the trigger at the end of my pull up Reedy Creek and put 20 seconds on the group over a little under a mile. Ass, grass, or cash.........nobody rides for free.

I can keep up with the guy who was/is a Cat 3 rider now pretty well. He ain't getting away.
      -------- [email protected]
      ----- _`\<,_
      ---- (*)/ (*)
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cars
      Bought not built.
      07-24-2019 09:53 PM #54
      These steady state intervals feel way harder than I remember a year or so ago. 3x10min SS yesterday and today. Avg wattage was surprisingly higher today than yesterday. Been feeling like crap today and wasn't really hydrated too well.

Odd thing for me is my HR and breathing in the first few minutes of the first interval skyrocket, then settle down. Doesn't happen on any of the subsequent intervals during the workout and I'm rolling into it the same in all three (30sec build to the desired range). That happen to you guys as well?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
      Signature.

6. 07-26-2019 09:01 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post

Odd thing for me is my HR and breathing in the first few minutes of the first interval skyrocket, then settle down. Doesn't happen on any of the subsequent intervals during the workout and I'm rolling into it the same in all three (30sec build to the desired range). That happen to you guys as well?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
      Weird. I have the opposite problem. I can't get my heart rate as high until I'm warmed up. So I usually do a 10 minute warm up before any strenuous effort.

7. 07-26-2019 09:35 AM #56
      Not here. Nothing on HR. Sometimes I've not sweated enough for the strap to read perfect before the 1st set and the warmup HR will look wonky. But for the sets? No. Nice ramp during each set and nice ramp in the highest number increasing per set.

I did finally nail the 3x3 sets this week. I'd been doing them at 350w and bonking the last rep of the last set in the last minute. I even added a 7th rep that time. The 3x3 is the worst, nowhere to hide. So painful each rep. The failure mode and end of each rep is like a grinding halt versus threshold stuff is a slow slow death.

Maybe because I was watching Le Tour on tv at the same time. Getting excited.

Vacation for a week and 1/2 will stagnate this work a bit, but so long as I get 320 for 20min by year end and a few other gains I'll still be very happy. I could probably do 320 for 10min now and 350 for 5min or so.
      -------- [email protected]
      ----- _`\<,_
      ---- (*)/ (*)
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cars
      Bought not built.
      08-07-2019 08:31 PM #57
      Ok so looking for some suggestions on training between events. Currently I'm into week 4 on the endurance Time Crunch plan. It's timed that "race day" is my 170 mile event on Oct 5th.

My next event is 10 weeks later in Dec ( mid 200s). Then after another 10 weeks or so I have an event in Feb (mid 300 miler). Then I have a long break until my bucket list 450ish Smoke n Fire ride in ID next year in August or Sept.

I see the maintenance plan he has but it seems more geared to the short events. Any ideas how I should translate any of that or any of my existing plan into the shorter stretches between events? I don't want to risk burn out, but at same time don't want to lose what I've built.

In my time between the Feb event and ID I was planning on modifying the existing plan to include longer rides on the weekends. Currently has a few four hours, couple fives, and tops out at six. Was considering cranking those up to a few fours, sixes, and one or two 12 hour rides to substitute plus one big overnight stupidity ride before the event...depending on whether or not I want to try for one big push or break it up into a few days for ID.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
      Signature.

9. Member
      Cars
      2012 GTI
      08-08-2019 02:44 PM #58
      Alan,

To me this depends on your motivation to keep training. With 10 weeks between events, that's plenty of time to build additional fitness. You could take an easy week, then do a full 8 or 9 week training block to peak again for the event in Dec. Rinse and repeat for the Feb event. For me, I'd need different type of training in there to keep things interesting. I couldn't go from July through Feb of the same type of work.

A 300 mile event would leave me pretty well shattered, so I'd bank on a couple weeks of recovery. But then you can basically map out your training plan for the Aug 2020 event. I think maintenance type plans are for peaking in say mid June, trying to keep that peak fitness for 3-4 weeks. 10 weeks is about ideal to keep building fitness and come into the Feb event in ridiculous shape

Cars
      Bought not built.
      08-10-2019 02:33 PM #59
      Thanks moose! Would you think with those ten week blocks that I rinse and repeat the same training plan as before, but maybe start at week 2 or 3 since less time? I'd retest before for sure to make sure my intervals are beneficial.

Thinking I would still maybe bump my EM rides a little longer depending on how I do in Oct. Really curious to see how this training will do for a 15+ hour event. Last year I was just under 16 hours with 2-3 rides a week at most if I was lucky. Course is a little longer this year by about 15 miles so it won't be an apples to apples comparison unfortunately.

Signature.

11. Member
      Cars
      2012 GTI
      08-12-2019 09:50 AM #60
      I think given that they're all LONG events, yeah that makes sense. You need to basically be able to ride strong for longer periods of time. But you'll never be able to replicate 170-300 miles. I'd just shoot for a higher FTP knowing that to do a ride like that, you're riding a way reduced percentage. 50% of 300 is better than 50% of 250w. I would train in a way that I enjoy training but will help you with that goal. If it were me, and I wasn't concerned about boredom (which is a real thing looking at your timeline), I'd be doing long sweet spot stuff, over-unders, and VO2 max efforts (honestly just because I love them and respond to them super quickly).

Are these going to be pretty steady-state rides or more variable? If steady state, I'd look at some long-course triathlon cycling plans. What are they doing? If they're going to have more punchy stuff mixed throughout, you'll need to be able to ride at whatever wattage, bump it up for a minute, then settle back in (sounds a lot like reduced over-unders).

I'd see how the first training block goes. How did you do in the race? Where were your shortfalls? Do they need addressed/were they limiters? If so, refine for the next round. I'm sort of guessing that if you can crush a 170 mile ride/race, doing a 300 mile version won't be that much different. Probably a bit lower intensity but generally the same physiological responses/adaptations

Cars
      Bought not built.
      08-12-2019 11:54 AM #61
      Good stuff...I really appreciate the insight.

These courses are a mixed bag of unimproved forest roads/doubletrack, single track, and some pavement. For the most part fairly flat (this is FL after all hah) but there are some punchy climbs in the single track and rolling hills on the other. That 300+ one actually goes through some of the hilliest parts of FL which are pretty rough even for the experienced riders. Nothing sustained but miles of punishing repeated rollers that can get pretty steep at times.

I'm certainly enjoying the OU and SS intervals the most. Way easier than the long hours at EM intensity. I guess those long EM rides are necessary but I may eventually limit it to one a weekend as opposed to back to back on Sat and Sun. The thought process with that in the book is back to back to simulate riding with fatigue. I get it, but not seeing it as super beneficial every single weekend.

Signature.

13. Member
      Cars
      2012 GTI
      08-12-2019 04:11 PM #62
      yeah man, you're on the right track. I think the biggest issue could be burnout. take breaks when you need them and mix it up if you're bored. I need something to actually train for.

Good luck man. That's rad!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123