Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. Member
      Cars
      2003 VW GTI 20th AE
      10-03-2018 05:15 PM #1
      Yes, I know it is still far away but I am trying to see if anyone has first hand knowledge of the best spots to camp and best spots to view the race.

Bought 2019 Sebring 12h/10h WEC tickets today and got parking/camping in North Paddock.

- I will be at Sebring Wednesday around 6pm, is that to late to find a good spot?
      - Where are the good spots in North Paddock? Keep in mind that I will be leaving midnight to 3am(night of Saturday to Sunday, so right/soon after the race)
      - Is it possible to leave around midnight after the race?
      - Can I leave the track and come back or will it be impossible to find a decent spot to park again?
      - Which areas should I stay away from if I want to get some sleep?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post race update:

Posting an update to my questions for anyone that has the same questions in the future.

- I will be at Sebring Wednesday around 6pm, is that to late to find a good spot?
      There were still good amount of spots available at 5pm Wednesday, best spots were definitely taken.

- Where are the good spots in North Paddock? Keep in mind that I will be leaving midnight to 3am(night of Saturday to Sunday, so right/soon after the race)
      I liked North Paddock, quiet enough, you can wake to the party if you are into that.

I had no issues, drive the road that takes you behind the pits, driving through Green Zone is a pain, to many idiots just cruising and stopping.

- Can I leave the track and come back or will it be impossible to find a decent spot to park again?
      Not recommended unless you do it very late at night or early. You can leave but your parking spot may be taken. I left and came back Friday at 6:45am without an issue.

Anywhere near Green Zone, I stayed to close and got lucky that it rained Friday night so party people ran for cover.

I am really glad that I went to Super Sebring 2019, the track access and viewability has really gotten better since I was last there 8 years ago. The biggest difference is that there is now 3 large screens placed in various locations so you can watch the race at the corner you are sitting while following the battles on the screen, they didn't have this last time I was here. Access to teams is really good unless you are into Toyota. I was in the garage of various teams, especially the smaller ones. For some reason the WEC teams were much more open to allowing you in and they were happy to see you(except Toyota). I as able to chat with guys and drivers in SMP Racing and some of the guys in Rebellion Racing. I am actually a fan of Rebellion Racing now because of how cool the people in the team are. Anyone in WEC teams that I talked to wanted to come back to Sebring. Will I be back to Sebring? Its a 20 hour drive for me in total, I will be back but it will have to be another Super Sebring(WEC/IMSA) and Hyper Regs should have Aston, Ferrari and McLaren battling each other.

There was one issue, the organizers were getting overwhelmed with the amount of people coming in which means the spot I was told is ok to camp at the evening before was all of a sudden a "RV only" the following morning. It was annoying but it worked out since my new neighbors were really cool and the spot we got wasn't much worse than the previous.

Pictures are just off of my iPhone, camera is still somewhere in the luggage, it has better pictures but this is just an quick post while sitting at lunch.

Last edited by pawa_k2001; 03-18-2019 at 01:22 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      2003 VW GTI 20th AE
      02-13-2019 03:28 PM #2
      bump since Sebring is coming up in about a month.

Cars
      12' CTS-V, 03' Mazda Ranger
      02-13-2019 04:23 PM #3
      -My friend and I will be there. He is arriving Wednesday, I'll be there Thursday. It is kind of hard to tell how crowded it will be that early since the WEC 12h is Friday and the schedule is different from previous years.
      -We are going to try to get near turn 10 to camp, but that is our preference as there are some cool people that has been camping that spot for years. They even had key chains made for turn 10.
      -I would imagine it is possible to leave around midnight.
      -You can leave the track and come back, but I do wish you the best of luck finding parking in doing so.
      -Earplugs and a few pillows for the sleeping bit.

I'll be my V-Coupe if you want to swing by for a TCL beer.
      The past vehicles.
      93' Camaro-Sold, 87' Cabriolet-Sold, 87' Scirocco 16v-Sold, 85' Scirocco 8v-dead, 13' Jetta-dead, 87' Scirocco 16v-dead ,99' Acura TL-Sold, 80' Scirocco, DERPKOTA!, 13' WRX
      Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
      Hell, you know those ancient cave paintings in France? I betcha those animals were really half the size that the hack scribbler drew.

Cars
      2003 S2000, 2008 Lexus GS350, 2015 Lexus GX460
      02-13-2019 04:33 PM #4
      you have chosen wisely, Sebring is hands down one of the wildest and most fun tracks i've been to. it is a delightful mix of high-end racing fans, europeans, and florida swamp rednecks.

we camped one year in between turns 2 and 14 in north paddock. it's only good for tent camping, but was a total blast. green park and the other areas are better for parties. however, it was fairly quiet at night and during the day was a bit busier with grandstands nearby. it gave good views of the track in both the faster sections around 14 and slower sections going into 3 and 4. people are super friendly, food options are so-so, there are very limited actual bathrooms and showers (so just plan for this).

i'd highly suggest visiting the folks at Turn 10, Beertown USA, and taking photos with the cows and monks you see running around.
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

Cars
      '13 Touareg Sport / '12 Tacoma AC 4x4 / '00 BMW Z3
      02-14-2019 03:54 PM #5
      Not much to add but a few anecdotes of my Sebring camping experience. Fire Ants.. watch out for them. Have no open food or drinks in your tent that would give them a reason to visit.

Leaving after the race: After the race was over I crashed in my tent (with earplugs - have some good ones) to get 3-4 hours of sleep before hitting the road back to Maryland. When I woke up and got ready to leave I had to wake up and move 4 or 5 people passed out around my car, sleeping off the party. Make sure you have a clean egress route.

Cars
      2015 GTI SE,2008 3.2 TT(sold) ,1992 16V GTI(sold),2010 A3 TDI(sold)
      02-14-2019 07:52 PM #6
      I have been twice. That is a real crazy time. Does anybody actually watch the race?I think it is the birthplace of the "show us your tits "sign Ditto on the monks and "cowboys" Also I recall some vikings roaming about......

Cars
      '84 Mk1 Jetta GLI ABA S/C, '89 Vanagon Carat Whitestar, '17 Golf Alltrack, '16 GTI PP
      02-15-2019 02:03 AM #7
      This thread is relevant to my interests. Strongly considering flying in, renting car, setting up tent next to car, partying till the races are over, flying home Sunday.

Already done the 24 Hours of LeMans solo, this years Sebring looks epic.
      DCI - Party time, excellent.

9. Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room. Metallitubby's Avatar
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      02-15-2019 07:44 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Bicycle019 View Post
      this years Sebring looks epic.
      Especially since you get 20hrs of racing for the price of 12.
      Last edited by Metallitubby; 02-15-2019 at 07:46 AM.
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

Cars
      NC MX-5, E46 M3 x2, 2006 A4 Avant
      02-15-2019 07:46 AM #9
      We run Sebring at least once a month, but this will be the first year I am going for the actual race. From what my local friends who go every year tell me, camping spots should still be available through Thursday. Friday is the insane day.

We will be camping in the Avant in the green area.
      "I measure in Smiles per Gallon"---dc/dc

Cars
      14 s4 6mt
      02-15-2019 08:20 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by pawa_k2001 View Post
      the couple times that i watched the race, i've always parked outside the track. i don't see how it's physically possible to leave from inside the track and then return to a space before the race starts. even parking in overflow outside the track will be busy saturday. best bet is rideshare if you need something outside the track.

Cars
      02-19-2019 03:49 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by O_loung1 View Post
      the couple times that i watched the race, i've always parked outside the track. i don't see how it's physically possible to leave from inside the track and then return to a space before the race starts. even parking in overflow outside the track will be busy saturday. best bet is rideshare if you need something outside the track.
      agree here, if you give up your spot, it could be taken. i just saw a post on Turn 10's social media suggesting Sebring early ticket sales are 60% above average and they may sell out before race day (ie no tix at the door!). so buy early.

here is the map for this year's event as well:

the party zone location is going to mess with camping too...have fun though OP!
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

Cars
      '84 Mk1 Jetta GLI ABA S/C, '89 Vanagon Carat Whitestar, '17 Golf Alltrack, '16 GTI PP
      02-20-2019 03:13 PM #12
      Airfare booked, rental car reserved, race ticket and North Paddock parking pass purchased! Flying in Wednesday morning, should be at the track by 4pm after driving from the airport and pickup up supplies.

FYI - Called the track and spoke to the ticket office and they said they will have race day tickets available for walk-up along with parking passes. She did not feel like it would be a sell out ahead of time and that there would be no problem if I didn't pre-purchase. Regardless I did as I didn't want to mess around with that.

14. Member
      Cars
      2003 VW GTI 20th AE
      03-18-2019 01:17 PM #13
      Posting an update to my questions for anyone that has the same questions in the future.

There were still good amount of spots available at 5pm Wednesday, best spots were definitely taken.

I liked North Paddock, quiet enough, you can wake to the party if you are into that.

I had no issues, drive the road that takes you behind the pits, driving through Green Zone is a pain, to many idiots just cruising and stopping.

Not recommended unless you do it very late at night or early. You can leave but your parking spot may be taken. I left and came back Friday at 6:45am without an issue.

Anywhere near Green Zone, I stayed to close and got lucky that it rained Friday night so party people ran for cover.

I am really glad that I went to Super Sebring 2019, the track access and viewability has really gotten better since I was last there 8 years ago. The biggest difference is that there is now 3 large screens placed in various locations so you can watch the race at the corner you are sitting while following the battles on the screen, they didn't have this last time I was here. Access to teams is really good unless you are into Toyota. I was in the garage of various teams, especially the smaller ones. For some reason the WEC teams were much more open to allowing you in and they were happy to see you(except Toyota). I as able to chat with guys and drivers in SMP Racing and some of the guys in Rebellion Racing. I am actually a fan of Rebellion Racing now because of how cool the people in the team are. Anyone in WEC teams that I talked to wanted to come back to Sebring. Will I be back to Sebring? Its a 20 hour drive for me in total, I will be back but it will have to be another Super Sebring(WEC/IMSA) and Hyper Regs should have Aston, Ferrari and McLaren battling each other.

There was one issue, the organizers were getting overwhelmed with the amount of people coming in which means the spot I was told is ok to camp at the evening before was all of a sudden a "RV only" the following morning. It was annoying but it worked out since my new neighbors were really cool and the spot we got wasn't much worse than the previous.

Pictures are just off of my iPhone, camera is still somewhere in the luggage, it has better pictures but this is just an quick post while sitting at lunch.

15. Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room. Metallitubby's Avatar
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      03-18-2019 01:22 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by pawa_k2001 View Post
      Posting an update
      Thank you!

I noticed @ Le Mans this past year that no one was willing to talk unless you had a press pass like I had. It's nice to see your access and the preliminary pictures look promising.
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

Cars
      03-18-2019 01:26 PM #15
      very nice, glad you had fun and hope you enjoyed the show that is Green Park.

Cars
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      03-18-2019 02:10 PM #16
      That really looks like an awesome time. Some year I'd love to make it down there.

I've got to at least go to the Glen soon since it's reasonably close.

18. 03-19-2019 01:05 PM #17
      Finally made it down for the first time this year too.

We didn't camp - we booked an AirBnB up in Avon Park, which actually worked out fairly well. It was about 15 minutes from the track. We didn't have too much trouble getting in and out. Thursday was an adventure, as we were trying to get our bearings and find a spot to park (North Paddock). We ended up wedging our rental Armada into a spot near Turn 1, which was cool. Friday we parked on the roundabout at the flag pole and Saturday was back up near Turn 1 since the Michelin Challenge paddock was cleared out.

I have a few Six Hours of the Glen under my belt, so Sebring was a fun change of pace. Obviously far more going on and a lot more people. Buddies and I had a great time wandering around Green Park and basically doing laps of the track while watching the races. The weather was great to me, but I'm coming from Western NY and freezing temps. The rain on Saturday was nothing. Saw the Vikings, the cows, Beertown, et al.

Bummed Corvette didn't have a better showing in the WEC race, but it was awesome to see them run two huge endurance events like that back to back. Bad luck with the 4 car on Saturday too, but glad the 3 was able to podium. Briscoe screwing up in one of the Ford GT's was a satisfying twist, but I do think Garcia could have pulled off some magic on his own - he was on fresh tires and fuel, while the Fords and the Porsche were getting tired until that caution.

Overall it was an amazing time that definitely lived up to my expectations. Bonus, I'm a big Corvette Racing fan, so it was super cool when my good friend and his dad were able to get us access to their garage for a quick tour and look around the haulers/shops. I only grabbed a few photos, as I was trying not to geek out too badly. Pratt & Miller have earned their reputation for a reason - everything was just absolutely humming. Definitely a visit to remember.

2017 Chevy SS | 1977 Trans Am
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Cars
      03-19-2019 02:21 PM #18
      ^ awesome stuff. the corvette team is a well-oiled machine, they work quickly without a lot of drama, and it shows on the track. they are probably the best and most consistent GTLM operation, Ford and Porsche (more recently BMW) are starting to play ball in the same court a bit more. let's just say there is a reason they racked up a hundred wins since getting in the game. it's rare to see stupid mistakes and they have a really strong group of consistent drivers. best part is they are running on the oldest chassis in the bunch.

Cars
      03-20-2019 03:14 AM #19
      Might as well offer my follow up as well...

Arrived at the track around 6:30pm on Wednesday after flying into Tampa from Denver, having just beat the blizzard and subsequent airport closure. I picked up my rental Grand Caravan and headed to St. Petersburg as I wanted to drive over the big bridge and pick up some supplies. Arriving at the track at that time was easy, with no lines and close up parking for will-call ticket pickup. Headed to North Paddock where I had paid extra for a car pass under the impression it would be just a bit mellower than Green Park. Found an open RV spot near Turn 12 that I parked in, setup my tent, and cracked a beer and got to checking things out. I'd say on Wednesday night that NP was about 60% full, and Green Park was maybe half full at best. On track action was going until around 9, and it got pretty quiet everywhere after that.

That night right after parking I talked to a few other people that also were also car parked in RV spots in NP and there seemed to be no issues, until Thursday morning when we were all told to move out as they has pre-sold every single RV spot in NP to RV's. After looking around NP for 30 min trying to see if there was something else to pivot to I bailed on NP and headed through the gate to Green Park so I could find something there before it really got crowded. Drove a couple of laps to get the lay of the land and found a big open green spot on a rise not too far from Turn 6. Ended up being a great spot, not too loud or crowded for the duration of the event, near the recently renovated showers/bathrooms (which are passable), and centrally located to get to either the main paddock or party zones like Turn 7, Turn 10, Big Tent, etc.

Other things to note: Solid party atmosphere, better than most race track camping comps, but not "insane" like it's made out to be. Rougher and rowdy in spots, but nothing that felt out of control. Some very elaborate camp setups everywhere. If you want to get drunk it's easy. Ice for sale was easy to come by, as was extra beer if needed - a case of tall boys was $25. The "Party Zone" that was new to GP this year was a dud - big setup, not a lot of attendance. But that made camping near it not that bad. People had way more interesting options to party at that were less contrived, and that also had free beer/booze.

Race wise, great access to cars, good viewing for the most part even though the track is flat (it's Florida after all) with new grandstands, some big screens, and viewing mounds in key areas. Glad I went, was a ton of fun.