Fourtitude.com - 2020 Mercedes-Benz EQC unveiled — An all-electric crossover with 402 hp and 200 miles of range, the first model from the new EQ sub-brand
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    1. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Cars
      diesels, and an mg
      09-04-2018 02:31 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      Remember, this is just what Elon has always said he wanted, competition in this market space. And kick the OEMS into producing real efforts here. Without Tesla, this would net be here yet, if ever.
      definitely.
      and theres no question we wouldnt be here without the tesla fans buying up every car they can manage to make.
      but i also question long-term what teslas role will be. no one will ever take them up on adopting the charging interface, and looking down the road 5+ years there will be a handful of very attractive viable options for a consumer willing to spend tesla money on a nice electric car. all from manufacturers with a solid manufacturing history and a fully fleshed out parts and support network.
      The All New! -- SpitfireEFI.com | Flickr

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      1994 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon, 1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT, 1994 Miata R-Package
      09-04-2018 02:32 PM #27
      Updated OP with all the photos
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by Carson Fiber View Post
      Get a life already Loser
      |||||||

09-04-2018 02:33 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      I think the conventional design is a mistake. IMO EVs are supposed to be like the Taycan, E-Pace, even the Model S to a degree. The freedom EVs give in design should force manufacturers to make them super distinctive. This looks like a GLC in different trim. Don't get me wrong- the GLC is gorgeous- for an ICE car. But full EVs have to be on another level
      You meant I-Pace; the E-Pace is a conventional mini-CUV. I think its ugly regardless and the Taycan and Model S to an extent just look like 4-door coupes. This will be a good entry into EV for many, as will the BMW iX3.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

5. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Cars
      2016 Mazda CX-5  2013 Ford Focus Electric
      09-04-2018 02:35 PM #29
      One article said it would be priced comparable to the GLC, so maybe $50k US to start? If so, that's an existential threat to Tesla.

Cars
      2017 MINI Clubman JCW, 2015 VW GTI Autobahn, 2017 MINI Cooper
      09-04-2018 02:36 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Unilateral Phase Detractor View Post
      One article said it would be priced comparable to the GLC, so maybe $50k US to start? If so, that's an existential threat to Tesla.
      I doubt it will be that cheap considering the current GLC350e is $50k.

Cars
      09-04-2018 02:37 PM #31
      The EQC is on the same basic platform as the GLC; they have identical wheelbases. But the EQC is 4.1 inches longer and 0.8 inch lower. For comparison's sake:

Get a life already Loser
      |||||||

8. 09-04-2018 02:38 PM #32
      I think the conventional design is a mistake. IMO EVs are supposed to be like the Taycan, E-Pace, even the Model S to a degree. The freedom EVs give in design should force manufacturers to make them super distinctive. This looks like a GLC in different trim. Don't get me wrong- the GLC is gorgeous- for an ICE car. But full EVs have to be on another level
      I wonder if traditional styling might be a smart way to go? I have heard several people say things like EV cars like Tesla are too futuristically styled. It really caught my attention when my father said Teslas look space ships. I wonder how many people would gravitate to EV cars if there were in current models that already resonate with them?

9. Member
      Cars
      '13 Optima SX-L, '11 MKX, '06 ER-6N
      09-04-2018 02:38 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      This isn't going to be cheap, but I'm excited there's finally an EV offering coming in a bigger size class (that's not a six-figure Model X). Those dimensions are great... Outback/Edge/Santa Fe size.

The 200mi range does seem like a lowball, but that plus 110kW CCS charging can really handle almost all my driving needs.
      Yea I am glad more mainstream manufacturers are moving into the non-compliance EV space. I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around long distance travel in EVs but they have to do it to be viable. Just hoping some more downmarket manufacturers get into the space. This is a prime opportunity for 2nd tier luxury brands like Acura and Lincoln to snag some territory before the big dogs arrive

09-04-2018 02:39 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      The EQC is on the same basic platform as the GLC; they have identical wheelbases. But the EQC is 4.1 inches longer and 0.8 inch lower. For comparison's sake:
      Yes, they started dropping hints about this being a modified MRA platform some time ago when discussion EQ production. You really have to separate the marketing and actual engineering communications these days.
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Cars
      '13 Volt, '05 330ci ZHP, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      09-04-2018 02:42 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      definitely.
      and theres no question we wouldnt be here without the tesla fans buying up every car they can manage to make.
      but i also question long-term what teslas role will be. no one will ever take them up on adopting the charging interface, and looking down the road 5+ years there will be a handful of very attractive viable options for a consumer willing to spend tesla money on a nice electric car. all from manufacturers with a solid manufacturing history and a fully fleshed out parts and support network.
      Kind of like how Nokia non-smart phones are the largest selling phones in the world and the micro-USB is the defacto charging standard, yet iPhones are the driving force behind making phones "sexy" and they have their own unique charging system. And cost more than just about any other phone.
      "Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection"

12. Member
      Cars
      09-04-2018 02:42 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Roo View Post
      I wonder if traditional styling might be a smart way to go? I have heard several people say things like EV cars like Tesla are too futuristically styled. It really caught my attention when my father said Teslas look space ships. I wonder how many people would gravitate to EV cars if there were in current models that already resonate with them?
      Yea, maybe it's just my own bias talking. The way I see it though, for most people EV tech is a net negative, so they need some kind of incentive. As boring as much of the auto industry looks right now, style seems to be an easy opportunity. Plus you have to think, EV economics still aren't great without heavy incentives... so you're not going to get many left brain early adopters. So playing one emotions should work.

The different dimensions seem to indicate that this strikes a good balance of the sportier proportions of the GLC Coupe without its full on ridiculous (to some) looks. Perhaps it will achieve what I'm hoping in person.

Cars
      '19 Golf Alltrack SEL 6MT, 2016 Moto Guzzi V7II Stornello
      09-04-2018 02:58 PM #37
      What's with the pathetically small sunroof? A vehicle of that segment should have a panoramic sunroof, no question.

Cars
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      09-04-2018 03:00 PM #38
      Yea, maybe it's just my own bias talking. The way I see it though, for most people EV tech is a net negative, so they need some kind of incentive. As boring as much of the auto industry looks right now, style seems to be an easy opportunity. Plus you have to think, EV economics still aren't great without heavy incentives... so you're not going to get many left brain early adopters. So playing one emotions should work.

The different dimensions seem to indicate that this strikes a good balance of the sportier proportions of the GLC Coupe without its full on ridiculous (to some) looks. Perhaps it will achieve what I'm hoping in person.
      For me I'm just happy there finally will be some options in the traditional, mass-market bodystyles. Right now the BEV (not PHEV) options are:

Smart
      e-Golf
      Soul
      i3
      Bolt
      Kona
      Focus
      Leaf
      Ioniq
      Model 3
      Model S
      Model X

Buncha little hatchbacks for the most part, or a small luxury sedan, or an expensive luxury fastback or rolling egg. Now we'll be adding I-Pace, Taycan on the sporty side, and e-Tron, EQC, iX3 on the more traditional side. EQC is entering a market space that isn't served at all right now.

Cars
      2018 Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD
      09-04-2018 03:18 PM #39
      I'm glad they are making this, but what's with the giant "grille" (probably fake) when there's little need for cooling?
      For every post like yours there's at least one over in the Model 3 thread decrying the lack of grill altogether there

09-04-2018 04:24 PM #40
      The EQC will be "$50k to start" in the way that the Tesla Model 3 is "$35k to start."

09-04-2018 04:33 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      The EQC will be "$50k to start" in the way that the Tesla Model 3 is "$35k to start."
      No, Mercedes actually has the capability to produce base model EQCs and still stay in business. That being said, this will not be cheap.

Cars
      09-04-2018 05:29 PM #42
      So.....

https://twitter.com/sokane1/status/1037084452365717505

Update: Mercedes-Benz now tells me the 200-mile range figure (which was cited at least 4 times in press materials sent out in advance of the announcement) for its first all-electric car was wrong.

It’s now citing 450km (about 280 miles) as the correct figure. But! That’s based on a provisional estimate according to the NEDC standards, which are notoriously optimistic. That means the range will still likely be down in the low 200s by EPA standards.
      Get a life already Loser
      |||||||

19. 09-04-2018 06:31 PM #43

Cars
      Clownshoe, Tesla 3
      09-04-2018 06:58 PM #44
      Not a fan of the GLC like styling.
      Headlights remind me of that Saab SUV, I think -- but when I google 9-7x I'm seeing the trailblazer one. anyway, I'm sure someone knows what I mean.

In theory I like the multi-LCD setup, but it seems weird to have a 'break' between them.. but if you don't, something gets hidden by the steering wheel and your hand.. so, I dunno.

Loved the Model S screens. the 3, not as much.

Yea I am glad more mainstream manufacturers are moving into the non-compliance EV space. I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around long distance travel in EVs but they have to do it to be viable. Just hoping some more downmarket manufacturers get into the space. This is a prime opportunity for 2nd tier luxury brands like Acura and Lincoln to snag some territory before the big dogs arrive
      I think the problem is, if people are buying a $30k hatchback electric with short range, it has to be a commuter only, and you have to keep a gas/diesel car laying around for trips (or rent one). So you have to swallow that pricetag for a 'not full replacement' car. Somehow it's easier to swallow paying another $20k for that long range for the once-in-a-blue-moon when you need it. It doesn't necessarily make a ton of financial sense, but I think it's hard to swallow the price tag for a limited vehicle. Which is sort of what you point to when you say you're having trouble wrapping your head around long distance travel in an EV.

You're right about Acura -- Honda should be leaping at the chance to reinvent their brand as an aspirational luxury brand of the future. They have a lot less to risk than, say, Toyota/Lexus. But, conservatism is ruling the day there, I guess.
      Dash cam people suck. Don't be a dash cam person.

Quote Originally Posted by Dravenport View Post
      this thread is a mess, I can't tell if it's full of trolls or idiots and I'm not sure it matters

09-04-2018 07:08 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by smoothsix View Post
      Headlights remind me of that Saab SUV, I think -- but when I google 9-7x I'm seeing the trailblazer one. anyway, I'm sure someone knows what I mean.
      9-4X and while they don't look similar to me. They do have a conjoined grille/headlight motif going on though, albeit executed very differently.

22. Member
      Cars
      09-04-2018 07:49 PM #46
      I think the problem is, if people are buying a $30k hatchback electric with short range, it has to be a commuter only, and you have to keep a gas/diesel car laying around for trips (or rent one). So you have to swallow that pricetag for a 'not full replacement' car. Somehow it's easier to swallow paying another $20k for that long range for the once-in-a-blue-moon when you need it. It doesn't necessarily make a ton of financial sense, but I think it's hard to swallow the price tag for a limited vehicle. Which is sort of what you point to when you say you're having trouble wrapping your head around long distance travel in an EV.
      I've said as much before, but I think it's relevant here- I don't think EV infrastructure and range is ready to be a one car solution for all of somebody's needs. You think about it, you'd complain about 200 or so miles of range in a gasoline car; adding charging time to that really blunts any long distance driving capabilities. However, I'd wager most new car buyers live in multiple driver/vehicle households, so in that context a "short range" commuter makes. Most people don't commute too far, so something with 100 miles of range could work. Hell, my commute is longer than average but I think I could stretch it.

Plus you have to factor in the full & true cost of ownership. I think for most if not all of the country electricity is much cheaper than even regular gasoline on a per mile basis, which becomes a lever to pull in the monthly car budget. But again, EVs still have to deliver more on value on all fronts. Performance, features and style. I still find it a bit unbelievable that a Nissan Leaf is the best EV Nissan can build for $30K.

You're right about Acura -- Honda should be leaping at the chance to reinvent their brand as an aspirational luxury brand of the future. They have a lot less to risk than, say, Toyota/Lexus. But, conservatism is ruling the day there, I guess.
      I could make a whole other thread about Acura. They are like Infiniti though. Very hot, then very cold, over and over again. They def have a chance to become hot right now.

09-04-2018 07:54 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      No, Mercedes actually has the capability to produce base model EQCs and still stay in business. That being said, this will not be cheap.
      Agreed... I'm sure you will be able to order a cheap one at some point but I expect most EQC to track closely to Jaguar I-Pace which is more like $70k. So will eTron Quattro.

That being said, Tesla doesn't sell a midsize SUV under $70k so basically the Europeans have beaten Tesla Model Y to the punch. If I'm Elon, I'm probably going to rethink the Model Y... it won't be the first on the market like the previous Tesla models so the competition will be entrenched.

Cars
      Civic Type R & RSV4 RR
      09-04-2018 08:55 PM #48
      Saw this, or the concept rather in Portugal last year. Not a fan.

Cars
      Clownshoe, Tesla 3
      09-04-2018 09:58 PM #49
      I've said as much before, but I think it's relevant here- I don't think EV infrastructure and range is ready to be a one car solution for all of somebody's needs. You think about it, you'd complain about 200 or so miles of range in a gasoline car; adding charging time to that really blunts any long distance driving capabilities. However, I'd wager most new car buyers live in multiple driver/vehicle households, so in that context a "short range" commuter makes. Most people don't commute too far, so something with 100 miles of range could work. Hell, my commute is longer than average but I think I could stretch it.
      We basically went through this recently. At $35k I think it's quasi-insane to buy an only-commuter electric. You're not really going to save money buying a Leaf, any more than you'll save money buying any brand-new car. If you want to save money, you buy a $5k Prius.
      Our household is a horrible (or totally normal?) example, but no matter what electric we buy, we're gonna have gas cars.
      Buying a Tesla 3 for ~50k vs a Leaf for 35k doesn't make sense in that you rarely NEED the range, but it means you can sell a "nice" car you already have, and use the Tesla for most roadtrips. In our case, between range and convenient supercharging, we can basically take the car anywhere we'd ever want to go. Of course, you definitely don't spent 50k to save money.

But ultimately I think the point is, these "luxury" long range cars can replace a nicer gas car in a way that a commuter cannot. It's not everything for everyone, but there's a 'value' there.
      Dash cam people suck. Don't be a dash cam person.

Quote Originally Posted by Dravenport View Post
      this thread is a mess, I can't tell if it's full of trolls or idiots and I'm not sure it matters

Cars
      2006 Lancer Evo 9, 2013 FR-S
      09-05-2018 05:30 AM #50
      TBH I think Gordon Wagener's team has done a great job both on interior and exterior. Going too far out of convention would make it a blob like the BMW i3 - even the Chevy Bolt looks better. This is the way to go unless you're creating 'another level of vehicle' - ala the Project One. As you mentioned, the GLC is gorgeous, so they've probably done their research & marketing clinics to make sure folks want a good looking vehicle first. It'll stand out enough with the light bar on the rear, the front end LED connecting the headlamps below the grill and the blue tinge accents on the sheetmetal.

I'd say the absolute worst thing on this is the hood under the hood - they may as well have saved on some plastics ("treehugger"? ) or kept the exterior hood unopenable. I mean maybe no one wants to see an electric motor, but then plastic isn't going to insulate the motor whine much, so what's it for?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast