Fourtitude.com - EA888 wastegate actuator failures
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. Junior Member
      08-02-2018 04:11 PM #1
      My 1.8TSI recently had the turbo replaced under warranty due to a failed wastegate actuator.
      I was getting the EPC warning almost right away, on a cold start. It would go away if the engine was restarted once warm enough i.e when the oil temp reached about 65-70 deg C typically.

The IS12, IS20 (and IS38 as well IIRC) have integrated actuators so that requires a new turbo.

The car is a 2016 NAR and had 50K km i.e about 31K miles.
      It is *completely* stock.
      I was very surprised by such a failure so early.

After doing some research, it seems I am not the only one.
      I have seen few other reports of other 3rd gen EA888 wastegate failures on both 1.8T IS12 and 2.0T IS20.

I'm wondering how common these wastegate actuator failures actually are and I'm a bit worried that my new turbo might eventually die the same way.
      Last edited by mach128x; 08-02-2018 at 04:17 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      2014 Jetta SE 1.8
      08-03-2018 10:14 AM #2
      That's worrysome. Were you throwing any codes? If so, which ones?

4. Junior Member
      08-03-2018 02:09 PM #3
      Yes here are the codes

P2563
      Turbocharger Boost Control Position Sensor Circuit Range/Performance

P00AF
      Actuator Module for Turbocharger 1

Those are the codes noted in the troubleshooting on the invoice; the actual readings are not stated.
      They told me the actuator wasn't moving freely, the tech could barely move the rods/mechanism by hand. I am not exactly sure if the problem was at the wastegate pivot itself or with the actuator rod/solenoid.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Cars
      2014 Jetta SE 1.8
      08-05-2018 12:12 PM #4
      Thanks for the info.

I had the P2563 coupled with the P0106 when my PVC was acting up. IDK if they were tied together or not. I'll keep an eye on it I guess!

7. 09-26-2018 02:59 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by mach128x View Post
      My 1.8TSI recently had the turbo replaced under warranty due to a failed wastegate actuator.
      I was getting the EPC warning almost right away, on a cold start. It would go away if the engine was restarted once warm enough i.e when the oil temp reached about 65-70 deg C typically.

The IS12, IS20 (and IS38 as well IIRC) have integrated actuators so that requires a new turbo.

The car is a 2016 NAR and had 50K km i.e about 31K miles.
      It is *completely* stock.
      I was very surprised by such a failure so early.

After doing some research, it seems I am not the only one.
      I have seen few other reports of other 3rd gen EA888 wastegate failures on both 1.8T IS12 and 2.0T IS20.

I'm wondering how common these wastegate actuator failures actually are and I'm a bit worried that my new turbo might eventually die the same way.
      do a bit more reading, these turbos had a bad run, but there is a new version that's replacing the bad ones that does not have this issue and you shouldn't need to worry about another failure under stock conditions... at least that's what i read. i bought a 2016 golf tsi with 41k on it, no issue with the turbo but i havent checked to see if it was replaced. i plan on putting an is38 in there. we'll see

8. 06-29-2019 10:47 AM #6
      as another data point, i showed the same symptoms and codes on a bone-stock 2017 Alltrack with 34k miles but instead of replacing the turbo they replaced the charge sensor and adjusted the charge pressure actuator.

9. 07-04-2019 09:54 AM #7
      so if you have this issue, you may want to push for the turbo replacement. my EPC and CEL lights came back on very soon after i got the car back from having the "repair." i have seen bulletins from VW indicating that repair attempts are not advised, so i don't know why i had to go through this, but my car is going back to the dealer now for a turbo replacement.

10. Member
      Cars
      '17 Alltrack SE, '15 Passat TDI SEL
      07-05-2019 11:48 AM #8
      For warranty work the dealer will only do what VWoA will tell them/reimburse them for. Maybe the shop tried the cheap way and didn't get reimbursed and sadly you found out why VW only tosses all new assemblies at it.
      '15 Passat SEL (NOS bought April '17 w/ 60 miles on the clock)
      '17 Alltrack SE

Bought back: '10 Jetta TDI sedan manual, '12 Passat SE (roof and Nav)

11. 07-11-2019 11:06 AM #9
      if it's warranty work, i don't see why the dealer wouldn't go straight for the replacement. unless of course (hypothetically) they expect that the repair won't work, so they'll then get paid for the repair and the subsequent replacement.

either way, as warranty work, VW would have to approve it if they're going to pay for it. which brings us full circle.