Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. Member
      Cars
      98 740iL, 18 i3 REX, 13 Mini Clubbie S
      07-27-2018 07:38 AM #1
      We are leaving for Great Britain in about 2 weeks, and I'm debating my camera.

Before anything, I am NOT a seasoned photog. Typing this, I now realize that perhaps a class at the local college would've been a good idea BEFORE the trip.

Several years ago, I purchased - with the intent to take that damn class - a Canon Powershot S3 IS. It takes brilliant shots, even though it is only a 6 MB camera. I have a sizeable storage card for it.
      I also have a Galaxy S8 Note; my partner has a Pixel2. They both also take a great photo.

We have been discussing a site like Tripcast, so at the end of the day we can dump photos and share with others as we travel. The phone will also tag the location of the pics so was can keep a record of where we were. The ease of having them on our phones and easy to upload means I don't have to bring my laptop to process the pics from the Canon.

Is the possibly slightly better photo quality of the camera worth it, taking into account the capabilities of the cameras that are in our phones?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      Ferrari La Ferrari
      07-28-2018 09:00 AM #2
      Your phones are probably better than your old camera. No classes are needed, there's plenty of good YouTube tutorials on taking photos and it really isn't that hard unless you are doing something more complex than basic landscape, touristy type shots.
      signatures are annoying, right?

4. Member
      Cars
      98 740iL, 18 i3 REX, 13 Mini Clubbie S
      07-30-2018 03:45 PM #3
      Thanks... and yes I figured a much. Supposed to be a rainy few days so I can catch up on how to actually use my phone's camera

We also just signed up for Journi, which not only updates contacts with pics and a bit of a travel diary, but they do an awesome hardcover journal when you get back. Best is... it's only accessible to those you want to have see it.

Cars
      BRZ
      08-07-2018 08:00 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by A.Wilder View Post
      Your phones are probably better than your old camera.
      Oh yeah, I'm sure it is. Maybe not the lens, but the sensors in the phones mentioned (Galaxy S8 and Pixel 2) are much better than the ancient (2006!) sensor in the Canon S3.

OP, I suppose a formal class might be overkill, but you do need to start somewhere. Maybe just Google for some photography basics, or go buy a book. Or, here are some hushytips for free: Either fit your subject in the frame, or cut off most of it (e.g. fit a whole person or half a person in the frame; don't shoot someone from the ankles up or forehead down). Don't shoot into the sun, don't use the flash, and if you're taking photos of a person hit the shutter 3 or 5 times--digital photos are free, so you might as well make sure you get the shot with the right expression, no blinks, etc.

If you like it, point the camera at it. Don't be afraid or ashamed of using the phone. Take multiple photos of things you really like. Try new things, see what the camera can do. Look at your photos afterwards. And embrace what comes out--your photo doesn't have to be the perfect idealized vision in your mind's eye. Most of the time, just capturing the moment is the most important thing.
      Want even more hushypushy? Automotive photography and journalism for the sophisticated gearhead: Star Road. [Updated 4/12]

Cars
      18' Terrain, 14' StingRay, 71' Malibu, 05' Honda VTX, 00' BMW R1100RT, 2 C'Dales
      08-09-2018 07:43 AM #5
      Spend an hour or so watching some of these videos, have your camera in hand and follow along.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...phy+essentials

Cars
      Ferrari La Ferrari
      08-31-2018 11:30 AM #6
      Sony wx350 is a solid point and shoot camera that isn't too big and has a ton of features for an amature photographer at $200. Decent lens, and wifi sharing so you can easily transfer photos to a phone or tablet for quickly updating your travels. If you want something more powerful the a6000 is still a solid choice. It's a bit older at this point but the kit lenses have image stabilisation and offer a wide range. You'd probably be ok with just the 14-50mm lens. You can find them used for a great price. Also, if you don't want to invest a lot in anything you can look into renting something for a good price. Something like a Sony a6000+ a couple lenses would be well within $200 for a week rental.
      signatures are annoying, right?

Cars
      '15 RSM e-Golf SEL | '15 CW Passat TSI SEL
      09-26-2018 02:28 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by TDIBUGMAN View Post
      We are leaving for Great Britain in about 2 weeks, and I'm debating my camera.

Before anything, I am NOT a seasoned photog. Typing this, I now realize that perhaps a class at the local college would've been a good idea BEFORE the trip.

Several years ago, I purchased - with the intent to take that damn class - a Canon Powershot S3 IS. It takes brilliant shots, even though it is only a 6 MB camera. I have a sizeable storage card for it.
      I also have a Galaxy S8 Note; my partner has a Pixel2. They both also take a great photo.

We have been discussing a site like Tripcast, so at the end of the day we can dump photos and share with others as we travel. The phone will also tag the location of the pics so was can keep a record of where we were. The ease of having them on our phones and easy to upload means I don't have to bring my laptop to process the pics from the Canon.

Is the possibly slightly better photo quality of the camera worth it, taking into account the capabilities of the cameras that are in our phones?
      for snapshots your phone will take better pictures. Your Canon would be worth using if you need any sort of zoom. a photo with taken with a 6MP with a 12X optical zoom would hold up better than digitally zooming on camera phone.

9. Junior Member
      Cars
      Hobby car and daily driver, 1986 VW Golf IDI Diesel mfg. in PA., 361k miles.
      07-05-2019 01:41 PM #8
      Bring your phone and a pocket size digital camera of your preference. I believe that you will end up using mostly the pocket camera unless you want to email a pic. A pocket camera can be taking pics much more quickly than a smartphone camera.

I recently bought a used Sony Cybershot 12.1 mp DSC-W220 that can be taken out of my pocket, turned on and be taking a picture in about 5 seconds. With a twist of the rotary dial I could be taking a movie in little more time.

The Sony uses a rechargable battery so a spare charged battery and a charger need to be brought along.

Smart phone cameras are good as a backup, for viewing pics and for emailing but are clumsy to use.

Late with this but it might be good for another day.

PS: You might want to bring along a decent but older camera similar to the Sony that I mentioned. I paid about 7 bucks for it at a charity resale store. This makes it possible to throw it out if, while you are far from home and have bought things that you want to bring home and may need to jettison inessentials. My wife and I did this while on a trip to Germany. It is surprising what you will not fear to discard in the heat of the moment.
      Last edited by TinkerToy II; 07-06-2019 at 08:56 PM.