Fourtitude.com - 2018 Mk7.5 GSW Audio Questions
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. Member
      07-26-2018 11:37 PM #1
      I just bought a 2018 GSW 4mo 6mt Trendline (base model). I've always had higher-end aftermarket head units in my previous cars and I'm generally pretty audio-savvy but I have some stupid questions with the new audio system, which is a Composition Color (Generation 2 GP) system.

I tried my iPod Classic into the USB port, but the VW won't recognize the iPod. The manual doesn't specifically mention iPod compatibility, does anyone know if newer iPod Touch's will work?

I then looked for an Aux-In audio jack, but it appears I don't have one?! In the pocket below the HVAC controls there's only a USB jack, nothing in the glove box and nothing in the center console. The source menu only lists Bluetooth, USB and SD Card, so it seems my system doesn't have a simple analog audio input?!?!

If the system won't recognize iPods and there's no audio input, I guess that leaves me with trying an SD card. However, the manual states SD only supports MP3's or WAV's. Most of my library is AAC, which I'm worried the car can't read. Has anyone else been able to play AAC files from SD?

Bluetooth audio quality sucks (I will be replacing the rest of the system with a DSP, amp and speakers) and I prefer to keep that just for my phone's hands-free.

Doesn't seem like swapping the deck for aftermarket is an option, as there are so many integrated menus.

Thanks, if anyone can share their experience with VW systems it would be much appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      07-27-2018 10:04 AM #2
      I found a USB stick and did some experimenting last night. The VW stereo indeed cannot recognize AAC or ALAC (apple lossless). It's looking like my best option is to create a separate music library just for the car, convert everything to mp3 and stick it on a large SD card.

It's not the end of the world, but it's a little frustrating bringing home a shiny new car and discovering that the integrated headunit is so limited for external inputs and file types. Hopefully it will sound ok through a dsp.

4. 07-27-2018 08:22 PM #3
      The audio output of the factory radio will be fine to use into a dsp, you'll be able to make a great sounding system, with that said Maestro is working on a solution for this vehicle I believe, which would let you retain the needed stock menus

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      '90 Corrado G60, '06 GTI, '19 GTI
      06-05-2020 04:35 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by goatpanda View Post
      I found a USB stick and did some experimenting last night. The VW stereo indeed cannot recognize AAC or ALAC (apple lossless). It's looking like my best option is to create a separate music library just for the car, convert everything to mp3 and stick it on a large SD card.

It's not the end of the world, but it's a little frustrating bringing home a shiny new car and discovering that the integrated headunit is so limited for external inputs and file types. Hopefully it will sound ok through a dsp.
      Found this thread searching the same question. My iPod Classic (160GB upgraded to solid state 220GB) and my new 2019 GTI Autobahn will see the iPod, show everything like the RNS-510 does in my 2006 GTI, but then it crashes the iPod - something freezes and I can't restart the iPod without connecting it to my computer.

I guess I'll have to use SD as well, sadly I liked the playlist structure I have in iTunes and Smart Playlists based on song skips and ratings.

I've resorted to plugging in my iPhone for audio and avoiding Bluetooth all together for audio quality reasons as well.