Fourtitude.com - 2.0TSI - Excessive Oil Consumption - 2012 CC
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    1. 11-06-2019 04:47 PM #26
      Mark,

I have a 2012 VW Eos with 109K miles on it that I purchased about 6 months ago... It ALSO burns about 1 qt every 120 miles!

It's been terrible, having to literally "check and oil first and fill with gas if needed" at the gas station!

Recently had the PCV assembly, main real oil seal, and spark plugs all replaced, and the scraping to have the intake valve deposits removed, along with an intake system flush, and it still is losing, somehow, a quart every 120 miles.

Dagnabbit!

Richard

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      MK7 Golf Sportwagen, MK6 GLI
      11-09-2019 02:43 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by rbertaut View Post
      Mark,

I have a 2012 VW Eos with 109K miles on it that I purchased about 6 months ago... It ALSO burns about 1 qt every 120 miles!

It's been terrible, having to literally "check and oil first and fill with gas if needed" at the gas station!

Recently had the PCV assembly, main real oil seal, and spark plugs all replaced, and the scraping to have the intake valve deposits removed, along with an intake system flush, and it still is losing, somehow, a quart every 120 miles.

Dagnabbit!

Richard
      Remove the spark plugs and check the color, post pictures of them if you can.
      White ash deposits is a sign of oil being burned in the combustion chamber and means you likely have internal engine issues like rings or valve guides. If the plugs look good, remove the exhaust downpipe and check for heavy black oily build up in the down pipe and and turbo.
      My guess is your turbo oil seals have failed and you need it replaced or rebuilt.
      Tuned mk6 2.0t CBFA 6 speed ECU for sale. Launch control set @ 3800 & 8psi, immobilizer delete, cat delete, air pump delete. $300 shipped.

4. 11-09-2019 09:27 PM #28
      Thanks so much for your detailed technical reply! Much appreciated.

We're in the midst of a cold snap, so I believe it will be a week or so before I can check the spark plugs, but I will post pictures when I do.

I'm hoping it's not the rings or valve guides, so clean spark plugs will be a lucky break for me, even if the issue is the turbo oil seals - those sound less likely to terribly expensive. Been trying to stop sinking money into the car, but I've only had one season with it, and would really like to experience more fall and spring driving with the top down!

Thanks!

5. Semi-n00b
      Cars
      1972 Super Beetle, 2012 CC
      12-22-2019 01:21 PM #29
      Wanted to check back in with some updates. I am now running Mobil1 15w50 in the car, which seemed to make a slight improvement. I know it's a little on the heavy side. What made the biggest difference was an oil additive. I usually regard those things as "snake oil," but this is a Liqui Moly product, so I decided to give it a go. It's called ViscoPlus for Oil, here's a link to it on FCP Euro, though all the major sites seem to sell it: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vis...i-moly-lm20206.

At one point, I only burned one quart in 1000 miles, a significant improvement over 1 in every 500 miles. The last go-round with Viscoplus it was somewhere around 750-800 miles before I had to add a quart. I put one full container of Viscoplus into the new oil every oil change. I also keep a 5 quart jug of oil in the trunk, pre-mixed with another bottle of Viscoplus. That way, the ratio of additive to engine oil is always the same after I add more oil.

I will continue posting updates, I don't drive a ton so it takes a while for me to clock 1k miles. I highly recommend the Viscoplus, I seem to recall reading somewhere that they designed it with the 2.0T engine specifically in mind, though I don't remember where.

6. 12-26-2019 12:19 PM #30
      Thanks so much for the Viscoplus suggestion. I will order some today from FCP Euro. I still haven't removed the spark plugs to check them for white ash....
      It is still too cold, so I may need to have the new well-respected mechanic that I've found take a look at them. The cold weather seems to have "reduced" my car's oil consumption to about 140 miles per quart.... but that is still pretty bad. Thanks for your help!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12