Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1. Semi-n00b
      Cars
      1972 Super Beetle, 2012 CC
      07-11-2018 10:27 AM #1
      Hey all,

I'm having a problem that I can't seem to get a lot of information for.

I have a 2012 CC Sport with 114k miles on the clock. I have all service records and can confirm this car has been taken care of--correct oil, etc., etc. I've owned the car since it had 78k on the clock. When I got it, I was going through maybe .75 quarts between oil changes (5k intervals), so pretty normal.

But the oil consumption has gotten worse. Now, it burns a quart every 500 miles. No leaks. Compression was right around 150psi when I checked it, so on the low side. Scanned with VCDS, no codes. Checked the turbo, no play in the actuator (correct term?) shaft going into the turbo. Highly doubt it's the turbo really, car pulls strong all the way up to redline with no whistling noises or anything else indicative of a bad turbo. PCV has also been replaced. Sometimes I get smoke on hard acceleration.

Now, I've found a few posts across the Internet about bad piston rings on certain 2.0T engines, but not a lot. Has anyone had experience with this issue before? Would it mean a new engine, or could I get away with a partial teardown to just replace rings? Has anyone heard of VW addressing this problem? Doubt I could get them to help, given my mileage, but would still be nice to know.

I've also been recommended to switch to a thicker oil to see if that helps. I'm currently running Mobil1 0w40, but there don't seem to be a lot of options out there for something like 0w50 or 10w50. Recommendations?

And finally...should I still be driving this car? I know oil consumption=clogged catalytic converter for sure, but given the rate of consumption...just doesn't feel like I should be driving it 'till I have a plan of action to fix. I just rebuilt the engine in my '72 Super Beetle so I've been dailying that while I figure out what to do with the CC.

Any help/points in the right direction is greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading

Clark
      Last edited by Clark_B; 07-11-2018 at 10:31 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 07-11-2018 11:01 AM #2
      Sorry to hear about your issues with it .... Seems the TSI gen 1 still had serious issues that needed resolving before being sold on the market ....

Now what I noticed helped for several months is the liquimoly additive, Oil Additiv p# 8352 .... It's supposed to cut down on oil consumption etc. It did help me for a bit but now it's back to the usual oil guzzling.

For my choice of engine oil I use 5W-40 Toptec 4100 liquimoly .... I think it reduced consumption somewhat over OEM castrol.

I think the best thing to do with Audi's and VW's with engine oil consumption issues is use Rislone "High Mileage Compression Repair" .... I've only ever heard good things about the product. It's supposed to actually work. The other product from them to try is Rislone "Ring Seal Smoke Repair" .... That should also help. I would try the compression repair first.

Rislone High Mileage additive is supposed to free up the piston rings which allows the to properly contact the cylinder walls again .... Making it fix itself basically ....

Sent from my DEVICE using Tapacar

4. 07-11-2018 11:03 AM #3
      Quick thing to add .... Some PCV's from vw can be faulty even when there brand new .... There are many incidents of this happening mentioned on the forums.

Sent from my DEVICE using Tapacar

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Cars
      2017 Audi SQ5, 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 7MT, 2010 Audi S4 6MT. 2015 Audi Q3 Quattro
      07-11-2018 02:45 PM #4
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-side)-failure

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...ng-issue/page2

Welcome to the mysterious sudden oil-consumption club......I think a valve stem oil seal has disintegrated...
      Last edited by CC'ed; 07-11-2018 at 02:55 PM.

7. Semi-n00b
      Cars
      07-12-2018 10:21 AM #5
      Thanks for the replies!

I suppose I could order another PCV valve, the one that's on the car now isn't actually from VW, got it from ECS tuning and it's another brand. Suppose I could get a genuine VW one this time 'round and see if that helps.

Still, I keep coming back to those low compression numbers. I read somewhere that 150 is the minimum threshold for "acceptable" compression by VW, but if I'm wrong please correct me.

If I had a leakdown test performed, I assume that would help me determine if the problem is the rings or something like a valve stem seal or PCV valve that wouldn't affect compression/sealing.

Just saw another thread with the same issue I'm having pop up on here as well. Nice to know I'm not alone.

8. Semi-n00b
      Cars
      07-13-2018 10:53 AM #6
      So, I think I've decided on a plan of action...for now.

I just bought some Shell Rotella T6 5w40 to see if a slightly thicker oil would reduce consumption. I have an air compressor, so I plan on ordering a leakdown test kit to see what I can figure out with that as well.

Might try one of those Risalone additives if the thicker oil doesn't help (after I do a leakdown test, so as not to skew the results).

Stay tuned for updates, and if you have any experience with this problem feel free to chime in!

Cars
      Mk1, Mk2, Mk6, SR5 4x4
      07-20-2018 03:25 PM #7
      This issue isn't that uncommon with these engines unfortunately. I wouldn't run any non-recommended oil weights. It wont really fix the issue and its not good for your engine long term.

I second the thought of it being the PCV valve. Its a horrible design and the OEM part has gone through several revisions due to failures. I would check with the stealership on what the current part number is for the latest revision and then shop around at places like DAP, ECS, etc. I replaced mine when I did my timing chains and the intake was coated in oil right after the line into the intake side of the turbo. Its pretty easy to pop the two lines off and check. I've debated going with a catch can or installing a Mann ProVent to help cut down on the oil rich vapors getting plumbed back into the engine, coating the intercooler and intake valves...

10. Semi-n00b
      Cars
      07-26-2018 01:10 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Grabbit View Post
      This issue isn't that uncommon with these engines unfortunately. I wouldn't run any non-recommended oil weights. It wont really fix the issue and its not good for your engine long term.

I second the thought of it being the PCV valve. Its a horrible design and the OEM part has gone through several revisions due to failures. I would check with the stealership on what the current part number is for the latest revision and then shop around at places like DAP, ECS, etc. I replaced mine when I did my timing chains and the intake was coated in oil right after the line into the intake side of the turbo. Its pretty easy to pop the two lines off and check. I've debated going with a catch can or installing a Mann ProVent to help cut down on the oil rich vapors getting plumbed back into the engine, coating the intercooler and intake valves...
      Good to know--I'll definitely look into another PCV valve. I bet the one I got wasn't the latest revision, it was a non-VW branded unit from ECS Tuning. There is oil in my intake, so maybe that's a sign.

11. Semi-n00b
      Cars
      02-17-2019 12:15 PM #9
      Hey all,

Bringing this thread back from the dead with an update. I replaced the PCV valve a couple months ago, and have noticed some relief. Oil consumption went down from 1qt/500 miles to 1qt/800 miles. I still see some smoke when I step on it, but there's no indication that the turbo is going out. No codes, pulls strong all the way up to redline. I checked and the new PCV is a genuine VW part, and the most recent revision. (I originally replaced it with an off-brand PCV valve that did not help reduce consumption, so I'm inclined to believe the new one is working properly).

What would be some signs to look for that oil might be getting past the turbo? There is some oil in my lower intercooler pipe, possible symptom? I'm not opposed to pulling, inspecting, and replacing the turbo myself, but I'd like some more evidence before starting to take my car apart.

I suppose it could just be the rings as well. From what I've read 203psi is max compression, 159psi is minimum. My car is at 150 across the board.

Thanks!

12. Member
      Cars
      2017 Audi SQ5, 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 7MT, 2010 Audi S4 6MT. 2015 Audi Q3 Quattro
      02-18-2019 03:21 PM #10
      Some oil in your intercooler piping is normal.....but if a quart comes out, then the shaft seal of the turbo (on the compressor side) is bad.

13. 02-18-2019 06:31 PM #11
      I'd think 1 quart every 800 miles isn't to bad at all.

Honestly I'd try using a different oil. That's what I did. It helped significantly!

Went from burning Castrol to liquimoly which burns way less.

Also I use a liquimoly sealer now and then to reduce consumption.

Sent from my Throne using Tapacar

14. Member
      Cars
      2011 Audi A3 Quattro S-Line CCTA DSG
      02-25-2019 02:17 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by differentway View Post
      I'd think 1 quart every 800 miles isn't to bad at all.
      Holy crap, you don't think that's bad??? I burn about 3/4 quart every 5K on Luqui Moly.
      HPA K04/Intake Manifold/tune, HPA DSG tune, PTP turbo blanket, APR Downpipe, Carbonio Intake, GFB's DV+, Red Top coils, BKR8EIX plugs, 034 Swaybar and rear subframe mounts, Audi R8 knock off wheels, RS3 Grille, Aspherical mirrors, StopTech slotted rotors and steal brake lines, US Mill Works license plate bracket, Clearmounts phone holder.

15. Member
      02-26-2019 12:36 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Clark_B View Post
      Hey all,

Bringing this thread back from the dead with an update. I replaced the PCV valve a couple months ago, and have noticed some relief. Oil consumption went down from 1qt/500 miles to 1qt/800 miles. I still see some smoke when I step on it, but there's no indication that the turbo is going out. No codes, pulls strong all the way up to redline. I checked and the new PCV is a genuine VW part, and the most recent revision. (I originally replaced it with an off-brand PCV valve that did not help reduce consumption, so I'm inclined to believe the new one is working properly).

What would be some signs to look for that oil might be getting past the turbo? There is some oil in my lower intercooler pipe, possible symptom? I'm not opposed to pulling, inspecting, and replacing the turbo myself, but I'd like some more evidence before starting to take my car apart.

I suppose it could just be the rings as well. From what I've read 203psi is max compression, 159psi is minimum. My car is at 150 across the board.

Thanks!
      What is the part number on your PCV? When I was searching to replace the PCV on my A3, There were two part numbers, very close to each other. One required the ECU to be updated to handle the different pressure, the other did not. I believe the part that ends in "AK" is the one that requires the ECU update as part of a TSB to address oil consumption. The one I got, 06H-103-495-AH , does not require a ECU update.

There are quite a few threads on vwvortex and others that I ran across discussing this. Do a search for it to make sure you got the right one for your vehicle.

16. 02-26-2019 09:16 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by findalex View Post
      What is the part number on your PCV? When I was searching to replace the PCV on my A3, There were two part numbers, very close to each other. One required the ECU to be updated to handle the different pressure, the other did not. I believe the part that ends in "AK" is the one that requires the ECU update as part of a TSB to address oil consumption. The one I got, 06H-103-495-AH , does not require a ECU update.

There are quite a few threads on vwvortex and others that I ran across discussing this. Do a search for it to make sure you got the right one for your vehicle.
      From my research that seems to only be A4's .... You may be right though.

If you have a link I'd be very interested.

I'm currently running something or other pcv .... I think it's a newer revision.

17. Member
      Cars
      02-26-2019 07:28 PM #15
      Early Audis and VWs (with the 2.0T EA222 Gen-1 and Gen-2) all used the AH part.
      After 2012, Audi switched to the AE part number for its EA222 Gen-2 2.0Ts. But VW Gen-1 engines still use the AH part.
      I have no idea what the difference is between the AH or AE, but oddly the AE is cheaper...

Correction...I mean EA888..not EA222
      Last edited by CC'ed; 02-27-2019 at 12:58 PM.

18. 02-26-2019 08:49 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by CC'ed View Post
      Early Audis and VWs (with the 2.0T EA222 Gen-1 and Gen-2) all used the AH part.
      After 2012, Audi switched to the AE part number for its EA222 Gen-2 2.0Ts. But VW Gen-1 engines still use the AH part.
      I have no idea what the difference is between the AH or AE, but oddly the AE is cheaper...
      That is the most conflicting info I've see in awhile .... No offense.

And there is no such thing as a 2.0T EA222

There is some sort of EA222 small litre engine in Europe.

There is a EA888 2.0T gen 1 and 2 .... The difference, I know not .... I don't know when the gen 1 started or ended and same for the gen 2.

I have a 2011 A3 with the 2.0T CCTA .... Dunno if it's gen 1 or 2.

19. Member
      02-27-2019 02:05 AM #17
      My 2009 A3 is a Gen1. It uses the AH version.

https://parts.audiusa.com/p/Audi__/S...H103495AH.html
      https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/06h103495ah/

My 2013 A5 is Gen2. It uses the AK version.

https://parts.audiusa.com/p/Audi__/O...H103495AK.html
      https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...v/06h103495ak/

Gen1 had oil burning issues and one of the things the dealer tried to do is change out the PCV with a ECU update. Just do a search, you'll find lots of discussions. There's lots conflicting info. Even ECS Tuning conflicts with the Audi website. I decided to go with what the Audi parts website says.

20. Member
      Cars
      02-27-2019 12:56 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by differentway View Post
      That is the most conflicting info I've see in awhile .... No offense.

And there is no such thing as a 2.0T EA222

There is some sort of EA222 small litre engine in Europe.

There is a EA888 2.0T gen 1 and 2 .... The difference, I know not .... I don't know when the gen 1 started or ended and same for the gen 2.

I have a 2011 A3 with the 2.0T CCTA .... Dunno if it's gen 1 or 2.

Sorry, my bad...I meant EA888...not EA222

21. Member
      Cars
      02-27-2019 01:05 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by findalex View Post
      My 2009 A3 is a Gen1. It uses the AH version.

https://parts.audiusa.com/p/Audi__/S...H103495AH.html

My 2013 A5 is Gen2. It uses the AK version.

https://parts.audiusa.com/p/Audi__/O...H103495AK.html
      https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...v/06h103495ak/

Gen1 had oil burning issues and one of the things the dealer tried to do is change out the PCV with a ECU update. Just do a search, you'll find lots of discussions. There's lots conflicting info. Even ECS Tuning conflicts with the Audi website. I decided to go with what the Audi parts website says.
      Clarification : The Gen-2 EA888 (the Audi version "TFSI", with the valve-lift feature), had the oil consumption problems, due to the different low-friction piston rings it used. The Gen-1 EA888 did not use the low-friction piston rings, and did not have the oil consumption issues that plagued the Audi version of this engine.

22. 02-27-2019 01:08 PM #20
      Sorry, my bad...I meant EA888...not EA222
      Gotcha .... No worries

23. 02-27-2019 01:11 PM #21
      Clarification : The Gen-2 EA888 (the Audi version "TFSI", with the valve-lift feature), had the oil consumption problems, due to the different low-friction piston rings it used. The Gen-1 EA888 did not use the low-friction piston rings, and did not have the oil consumption issues that plagued the Audi version of this engine.
      Oh so the gen 2 is the valve lift, longitudinal Audi engine .... ?

If so that's make sense.

Gen 1 is all transverse ea888 before it switched to direct mount turbos, which is the gen 3.

24. 02-27-2019 01:12 PM #22
      Anyway my consumption was terrible when running Castrol ....

Now it's pretty decent .... Especially for winter time .... Liquimoly is ace.

25. Semi-n00b
      Cars
      03-15-2019 02:23 PM #24
      Hey all,

Just thought I'd report back with some findings. No oil in turbo piping, so that wasn't the issue. Plugs 3 & 4 were oil fouled, and 1 & 2 were not, so it looks like there was some excessive wear on those two cylinders causing blow-by. Going to change up oils again and see if I can't reduce the consumption that way. Wonder what could have happened to cause 2 cylinders to wear faster than the others...oil starvation? I've also heard these engines have an issue with poor sealing on piston rings.

Also, here's a link to the PCV valve I bought:

Thanks!

26. 09-20-2019 04:30 PM #25
      Hey Clark,

Let me know if you found anything that works - I have a 2013 CC 2.0T and I'm eating 1qt/100miles - yes, per 100 miles...! Only 86K on the motor - Called VW support, no help there - local dealer said they have no Idea, but they are willing to tear apart my motor to find out, and yes, charge me along the way for my exploritory surgery. I love the car, but very disappointed in VW. I change the oil seperator, use Castro 5w-40. I have new injectors and spark plugs.

All the best,

Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast