Fourtitude.com - Any sense in going for LED H11 bulbs in A3 8P fog lights?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Cars
      2007 A3 8P 2.0T DSG S-Line
      07-03-2018 06:08 PM #1
      As LED bulbs have progressed in both power delivery and temperature control, some now are supposed to draw enough power to avoid tripping the bulb-out warning. Anyone know of a good set of LED bulbs that deliver brightness close to original halogens? I don't mind a slight reduction, but any more than 20% less and it wouldn't be worth doing. And I want to avoid doing in-line resistors unless they're included with good insulation casing and convenient installation. Those DIY metal resistors tend to get piping hot and it's a real hazard.

The A3 kind of sucks with fog lights, in that you really can't access the bulbs without removing the damned bumper, so if I do this I want to do it only once.
      Last edited by absolutt; 07-03-2018 at 06:11 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 07-03-2018 06:14 PM #2
      What year of A3 do you have? ....

I have the facelift and it was easy to change the fogs

Sent from my DEVICE using Tapacar

Cars
      2014 VW JSW; 2001.5 Audi S4 Nogaro
      07-03-2018 06:15 PM #3
      I literally just threw some H11 LED fogs in my car this morning. No bulb out warning or errors. I’ll take some pictures later this evening to show light output.

Also, install was the easiest swap I have done on any platform. Black trip pieces can easily be popped out to access fog housings. 2 screws hold them in place. Remove. Replace bulb. Reverse the process. Very simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cars
      07-04-2018 06:08 PM #4
      Thanks for the feedback. My avatar details show my vehicle: A3 2007 8P, which is pre-facelift. The fog light insert in the bumper isn't the same... can't pinch & pull it.

What LED lighting did you guys use? I'm leaning towards the Philips 12834UNIX2 or Precision LED Premium fog lights.

Cars
      07-05-2018 02:18 PM #5
      Well, I had a talk with a distributor for Philips Automotive Lighting products. I'm bailing out on the LED fogs.

The reason why? NO ADVANTAGE. There are very powerful halogen lights available now that work in OEM sockets, and have a cool LED appearance. True, they draw a little more power, but H7/H11 LED bulbs aren't going to be as bright. Plus... with built-in resistors or add-on resistors to fool the bulb-out detector technology, you're still drawing lots of power... and for what? Doesn't make sense. I'm glad I found out now rather than shelling out $100+. High powered LEDs really only make sense when the automotive maker incorporates them by design, so the electrical circuitry handles them correctly to reap the power efficiency advantage.

Otherwise, use for turn signals, brakes, and interior lighting can make sense if quality LED bulbs are sourced.
      Last edited by absolutt; 07-05-2018 at 02:47 PM.
      Current ►► 2007 A3 2.0T DSG/OS/TP/CW/CP Ocean Blue —— Previous2003 TTQR 225hp Ocean Blue

7. 07-05-2018 02:39 PM #6
      I personally used PIAA plasma ion yellow, H11's .... There much yellow .... I personally like the look of yellow fog lights but no yellow when there turned off.

PIAA seems to be a very reliable brand for lights. There used for racing etc.

Cars
      2006 Audi A3 - Ocean Blue - 6MT
      07-06-2018 12:45 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by absolutt View Post
      Thanks for the feedback. My avatar details show my vehicle: A3 2007 8P, which is pre-facelift. The fog light insert in the bumper isn't the same... can't pinch & pull it.

What LED lighting did you guys use? I'm leaning towards the Philips 12834UNIX2 or Precision LED Premium fog lights.
      I have a 2006 A3 and you absolutely can pinch and pull the fog light cover. I'm not sure if the S-line bumper is different (I have the base) but I doubt it would be. You really do have to yank on the suckers, but once you get the technique down it's remarkably easy. I've even quickly pulled one in a parking lot before to hide my keys out of sight while I went for a swim at the beach.
      2006 A3 2.0T - Ocean Blue - 6MT

Cars
      07-06-2018 02:19 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman312 View Post
      I have a 2006 A3 and you absolutely can pinch and pull the fog light cover. I'm not sure if the S-line bumper is different (I have the base) but I doubt it would be. You really do have to yank on the suckers, but once you get the technique down it's remarkably easy. I've even quickly pulled one in a parking lot before to hide my keys out of sight while I went for a swim at the beach.
      Yeah, I have the S-Line. All I'd read about them, the fog light surround/mount doesn't allow pinch-pull. I'd be afraid to break plastic tabs if I did. I'll take off the covering underneath and see if I can spy how it's connected, because if it's possible to release them that would certainly be the way to go.

An easier way to stash keys is to use a magnetic case. I've got one inside a hidden channel inside the trunk that has my house keys and have had to rely upon that a couple of times!
      Current ►► 2007 A3 2.0T DSG/OS/TP/CW/CP Ocean Blue —— Previous2003 TTQR 225hp Ocean Blue

10. Member
      Cars
      2008 A3 VRT
      07-06-2018 06:53 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by differentway View Post
      I personally used PIAA plasma ion yellow, H11's .... There much yellow .... I personally like the look of yellow fog lights but no yellow when there turned off.

PIAA seems to be a very reliable brand for lights. There used for racing etc.

Same here. Great color and bulb!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
      Current Rides:
      2000 Toyota Celica GT-S Supercharged - 2008 Audi A3 3.2 - 2003 Audi RS6 Avant - 2008 Audi TT 3.2 - 2002 S6 Avant Manual w/ S8 engine - 1990 Audi Coupe Quattro(SOLD) - 1993 Toyota MR2 Big Turbo(SOLD) - 2000 Audi S4 Stage 3(SOLD) - 2001 Audi S6 Sedan (SOLD)
      Check Out My Facebook

11. 07-12-2018 11:14 PM #10
      I went with LED in the fogs to use them as DRLs. There is a setting to turn them on as DRLs using VAGCOM.

The LED bulbs I got arn't super bright, but they work great as DRLs.