VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

How to Boost Without going into Limp Mode

7K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  JustinCrooks 
#1 ·
If one wants to up the boost , how do you achieve this without going into limp mode

Thanks

MK3 TDI

#4 ·
Thanks for the reply , My actuator vacuum line broke causing the over boost , then under heavy acceleration the power just went flat , no boost at all , would stay this way until I restarted the car then would drive fine until I pushed it hard again , since I have repaired the vacuum line , no more over boost , no more limp more , my main question is for performance , so if my car goes into limp more because of over boost , how do you achieve higher PSI with tripping it into Limp mode.

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply , My top alternatives to otc phentermine actuator vacuum line broke causing the over boost , then under heavy acceleration the power just went flat , no boost at all , would stay this way until I restarted the car then would drive fine until I pushed it hard again , since I have repaired the vacuum line , no more over boost , no more limp more , my main question is for performance , so if my car goes into limp more because of over boost , how do you achieve higher PSI with tripping it into Limp mode.
I'm also facing the same problem (sort of), and came here looking for solution. Guess, I'll have to research myself, and I'll post my findings here.

#7 ·
Sitting here at work bored so I'm digging up old unresolved threads here. During the process of tuning maps the tuner will include an "overshoot" to the boost control map to allow for transient spikes. If you don't do this you will likely get limp mode from overboost. Also you need to refresh your N75 often to keep boost control as tight as possible. The best route for reliability is a proper AFN-based tune coupled with the VNT turbo of your choice and a Mk4 N75. The big dawgs running these old engines at their maximum use this setup. Consult with your local Malone Tuning dealer and get a proper tune based on what you want to achieve. Like anything in life, you gotta pay to play. A turbo costs up to $1k, tune is another $300. You could go with a smaller ALH turbo with integrated manifold or do a big turbo with an AFN manifold. Wastegate turbos actually suck on small high-speed diesels because they are slow to respond to inputs from the ECU.

Of course if you a broke ass you can just leave the stuff as-is and get a proper chipset from Malone Tuning to resolve your overshooting boost issue. Make sure they delete the EGR since that's the #1 killer of these engines.

#10 · (Edited)
This exact same thing happened with me too, under heavy acceleration there was zero boost, then I had to try phen375 to see results get it repaired, but it still don't give that much boost. I don't know what to do?
Limp mode is a self-preservation feature programmed into most vehicles. ... cause low pressure, which will not allow the transmission to operate properly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.