Fourtitude.com - Put the damn phone down~!! Officers write 60 tickets in 3 hours
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
      Cars
      1974 MGB; 2017 Golf Sportwagen S 4-Motion DSG; 2017 Audi A4 Premium+, Sport+ MT
      06-19-2018 09:31 AM #151
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic View Post
      Ah gotcha. I gathered from your other posts in general that you weren't on the younger side () but I was suddenly picturing a teenager always with phone in hand.

-----

I suppose I'm biased since I don't really play with my phone a whole lot in general so I can't grasp the justification for wanting to play with my phone, moving or not.
      Forgot about this topic. I would add that both of my dailies have car play and, even if car play isn't engaged, I can still send texts with one button on the steering wheel and dictation (with the A4 reading them to me).
      how come a transvestite donkey witch is next to you and why is it wearing a dress?

Say 'what' again. Say 'what' again, I dare you, I double dare you mother****er, say what one more goddamn time!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 06-19-2018 09:53 AM #152
      Quote Originally Posted by compy222 View Post
      at traffic lights on the motorcycle i'll reach over and tap on texting driver's windows...absolutely startles the hell out of folks. which is a good reminder, if you don't see what's going on around you, you probably don't see me on my motorcycle.
      While I think tapping a window is crazy, just read a study that says reading text at a stoplight is really no different that texting while driving. Basically the first few seconds you are not focused fully on the task at hand which is driving. Your brain is still processing the text when you step on the gas and go. Great example we see everyday. Person texting and doesn't realize light has changed. Car behind blows horn and person steps on gas to move forward really unaware of what is going on in front. Car ahead of the texter is slower or hasn't moved and we have some form or rear end collision. They study said the test subject were basically like people being how hear and loud bang in their sleep. They jump up and start a motion but aren't focused as they are still half a sleep.

4. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Cars
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      06-19-2018 10:03 AM #153
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Roo View Post
      While I think tapping a window is crazy, just read a study that says reading text at a stoplight is really no different that texting while driving. Basically the first few seconds you are not focused fully on the task at hand which is driving. Your brain is still processing the text when you step on the gas and go. Great example we see everyday. Person texting and doesn't realize light has changed. Car behind blows horn and person steps on gas to move forward really unaware of what is going on in front. Car ahead of the texter is slower or hasn't moved and we have some form or rear end collision. They study said the test subject were basically like people being how hear and loud bang in their sleep. They jump up and start a motion but aren't focused as they are still half a sleep.
      Won't stop the superhumans on the forum who think they are perfectly able to text while in control of their vehicle.
      It doesn't matter what reality is, they are infallible and will continue to text and drive till they kill someone or themselves.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

Cars
      '13 Volt, '05 330ci ZHP, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      06-19-2018 10:18 AM #154
      Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnoughCars View Post
      Won't stop the superhumans on the forum who think they are perfectly able to text while in control of their vehicle.
      It doesn't matter what reality is, they are infallible and will continue to text and drive till they kill someone or themselves.

So just explain to me how you kill someone while stopped. I'll wait.
      "Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection"

Cars
      2017 GTI
      06-19-2018 10:24 AM #155
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      Then you're a selfish moron. Sucks for not just passengers in cars, but business passengers on commuter trains and buses, too, who are using their phones for business. And I want data streaming so I can listen to Spotify in my car while I'm driving on road trips, Waze and nav apps using cell data so that I can get where I'm going without unfolding a huge paper map all over the inside of the car, and I want my wife to be able to run her business from the passenger seat on long road trips, like the other weekend when we drove up to CT and she was running her business with her laptop hitting her cell phone Wi-Fi hotspot. It directly affects her, and thus my, bottom line, so you can stuff it up your ****ing ass. But you're more than welcome to come and pay my mortgage so she doesn't have to contribute to it.

No, the "business moving at the speed of light" genie can't be put back in the bottle. If you're not on top of things during business hours (and after many times) then you're left behind.
      nice.....rudeness like this is why I avoid TCL. I'd suggest you try discussing rather than insulting but since you are an ******* I won't bother.
      Creature of Bad Habits

Cars
      Fake Rich C300 & Insight 3.0
      06-19-2018 10:25 AM #156
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Roo View Post
      This is why I won't ride bumpers at red lights and use text to speak.

The car has some kind of message function but trying to navigate the menus, swipes, and spin wheel requires more concentration than using my phone.

Cars
      2003 S2000, 2008 Lexus GS350, 2015 Lexus GX460, Kawi Z125
      06-19-2018 10:27 AM #157
      not that hard to imagine someone completely missing a red light changing to green and getting plowed into by a car going at a significant speed differential. happens all the time, don't make the assumption just because the driver of a vehicle isn't moving that another driver could miss seeing them stationary or they aren't a hazard sitting there.

i got binned stopped at a red light while not texting. turns out the light normally blinks yellow and dumbass texting chick sees the yellow and ignores it because it normally blinks. 2-3 seconds later her car was halfway into my trunk at 50+. lots of scenarios that just "sitting" and not paying attention could be dangerous.
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

9. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Cars
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      06-19-2018 10:56 AM #158
      You are texting, hear a horn, and because you are still focused on the text you accelerate without fully processing the kid on the skateboard about to cross your path and you run them down.
      Or the old lady that is crossing slowly.
      Or the woman with the stroller.
      But keep feeding your addiction. We know it is more important to you...
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

10. 06-19-2018 11:33 AM #159
      You are texting, hear a horn, and because you are still focused on the text you accelerate without fully processing the kid on the skateboard about to cross your path and you run them down.

This applies to everything not just texting. At a stop people may become equally distracted by passengers, the radio, road side advertisements, pedestrians, etc.

If you're accelerating you're not stopped.

Cars
      10-speed bike
      06-19-2018 11:44 AM #160
      it's just a money grab. if there was really a push to reduce deaths due to traffic related incidents, none of these nanny laws would be passed. instead, the requirements and procedure to getting a license would be completely revised.

if you cannot "multi-task" and drive, you should not drive at all. this includes:
      checking mirrors
      operating turn signals
      maintaining speed
      maintaining safe stopping distances
      awareness of your surroundings
      awareness of your vehicle (turn signal still on? high beams on? headlights off? wipers on?)

as well as eating, drinking, changing the radio, conversing with passengers, using a hand held device, masturbating, texting, talking on the phone, and/or picking your nose.

I didn't realize most of TCL was waiting at stop lights like it's an F1 standing start, maintained their speed exactly at or below the limit (because that's what limit means), kept both hands at 10 and 2, and drove at 11/10th, flat out, all the time.

JB, I get where you're coming from. Rules made for the lowest common denominator don't apply to people who have common sense. I call them "Dumb Rules" and they don't apply to me. I am fully capable of driving 80 mph and sending a text, because I have the capacity to recognize when it is safe to do so. I also recognize when it's more appropriate to ignore the phone, maintaining a safe distance and speed. I guess that just makes me better than all of you.

come at me.
      previously sirswank
      Join Date 03-17-2003
      Total Posts 7,046
      seagull posting on a forum near you!

06-19-2018 12:08 PM #161
      Quote Originally Posted by sirswank! View Post
      if you cannot "multi-task" and drive, you should not drive at all. this includes:
      Just to be clear, you are lumping the following as multi tasking while driving;

Quote Originally Posted by sirswank! View Post
      checking mirrors
      operating turn signals
      maintaining speed
      maintaining safe stopping distances
      awareness of your surroundings
      awareness of your vehicle (turn signal still on? high beams on? headlights off? wipers on?)
      That is driving. Boy howdy, you sure do prove that there sure is a lot to do while driving. Adding additional tasks to that seems foolhardy and dangerous considering the human brain is really a poor multitasking tool.
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

Cars
      Me: 2016 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner, Brilliant Silver. Wife: 2019 Honda Civic Sport Sonic Grey
      06-19-2018 12:29 PM #162
      If I text and drive and never cause an accident, create a slow-down or hamper traffic, then why should I be ticketed?

We used to have laws based on English Common Law, part of which was based on the theory of damages. No damages, no offense.

Now days, we have all kinds of laws based on no damages. Only potential damages.

To keep us safe? Because the people we elect have to keep us in line? Because we are stupid?

Every one on this forum has committed an offense. Do we really want to be fined for every offense we commit? Every time we don't use a turn signal, speed, mistakenly run a red light? Are you willing to turn yourself in or just drive on by glad you weren't caught?

Not trying to russle anyone's jimmies, but we keep asking for more and more laws based on no damages, just the potential for damages. And that means one day you are going to get fined, and whether you like it or not, we created this system that has no ends to it.

Do I think people should text and drive. Nope. Speed? To some extent based on the situation, yes. Drink and drive? Nope. I agree with most of the laws, I just don't agree with stealing money from people, especially when it's biased to some degree and it will always be, and not even by skin color all the time. It's just who decided to pull you over and what mood they are in and what they think of you and how nice you are to them, how clean cut you are, your past record, hair color, car you are driving, attitude, etc.

But now we have the state fining, imprisoning us for "potential" damages, and we all go along with it. Biased as it is.

*braces for impact*
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      See? You have to relax before you can completely take in all of TCL's magic.

Cars
      Me: 2016 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner, Brilliant Silver. Wife: 2019 Honda Civic Sport Sonic Grey
      06-19-2018 12:31 PM #163
      What was the excuse before smart phones?

Before radios?

Before eating in your car?

Accidents never happened???
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      See? You have to relax before you can completely take in all of TCL's magic.

15. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Cars
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      06-19-2018 12:46 PM #164
      Quote Originally Posted by chuckster1 View Post

Before radios?

Calling them accidents is disingenuous.
      They are not accidental.

06-19-2018 12:51 PM #165
      To keep us safe? Because the people we elect have to keep us in line? Because we are stupid?
      Are we stupid? Yup. Otherwise there wouldn't be a need to make drinking and driving illegal, or texting and driving illegal, or any of the other myriad of laws to keep us from doing the stupid things we've already done while driving that shouldn't have been done.

And yes, just like the super minority of multi taskers in this thread, there are people that think they can drive fine drunk/stoned/etc. The only thing we do better than thinking we can do something stupid safely is believing we can do it safely
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

17. Member
      Cars
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      06-19-2018 01:54 PM #166

Before radios?

It's parents allowing their adult children to put Chinese tires on their cars
      Quote Originally Posted by Jezza
      Power and Speed solves many things
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      APR Stage 1/Osram CBI D3S/Neuspeed P-flo

18. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      06-19-2018 02:15 PM #167
      Quote Originally Posted by Silly_me View Post
      Are we stupid? Yup. Otherwise there wouldn't be a need to make drinking and driving illegal, or texting and driving illegal, or any of the other myriad of laws to keep us from doing the stupid things we've already done while driving that shouldn't have been done.

And yes, just like the super minority of multi taskers in this thread, there are people that think they can drive fine drunk/stoned/etc. The only thing we do better than thinking we can do something stupid safely is believing we can do it safely
      Due to the nature of what I was trained to do in the past, driving is comically easy, and when it was legal I used to text and drive, but I did it in a manner that was reasonably safe. I do realize that most people can't do it, so I'm good with it being illegal now, even if that means I can no longer do it. I'd rather not get hit by someone who can't do it, even if it's an inconvenience for me.

I did change a podcast while driving at 80mph today. I hope nobody here tells on me.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

Cars
      '13 Volt, '05 330ci ZHP, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      06-19-2018 02:23 PM #168

I've said repeatedly that I don't text and drive or text at a stoplight or check emails while driving or at a stop. But in you ****ing haste to be righteous you have to make up SOMETHING don't you, ****tard?

I'm talking about the absolute hypocrisy of driving unsafely by speeding that all of you do here and still bitch about UncleJB checking an email at a stop.

BTW, you're again talking about MOVING and plowing someone over. I'm asking about actually being STOPPED not in MOTION, but you have to add MOTION and DRIVING before you get your result. And it's more hypothetical than killing someone wile driving at 5-10 over, but you have no problem doing THAT and justifying it, do you?
      "Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection"

20. Member
      Cars
      2011 Lincoln MKZ AWD
      06-19-2018 02:35 PM #169
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      Due to the nature of what I was trained to do in the past, driving is comically easy, and when it was legal I used to text and drive, but I did it in a manner that was reasonably safe. I do realize that most people can't do it, so I'm good with it being illegal now, even if that means I can no longer do it. I'd rather not get hit by someone who can't do it, even if it's an inconvenience for me.

I did change a podcast while driving at 80mph today. I hope nobody here tells on me.
      I'm not sure that people even realize just how much skill gap there is between average drivers and highly trained ones. It's a ridiculously huge gap, like comparing a middle school JV quarterback to a division 1 NCAA guy. Nothing will ever convince the keyboard heroes here of that fact though, they cannot comprehend that there might be a way for people to be more capable than them.

21. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Cars
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      06-19-2018 02:38 PM #170
      Quote Originally Posted by BsickPassat View Post
      The SanFran area has their STEP program.

I was in that area recently stopped in a long line of cars at a traffic light and watched as a motorcycle cop slowly rolled past all of us on the drivers side looking inside for cell phone violations. Serious stuff! Also I ran into this journalist at the Bay to Breakers event a month ago and didn't realize it was him until just now.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

22. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      06-19-2018 02:52 PM #171
      Quote Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
      I'm not sure that people even realize just how much skill gap there is between average drivers and highly trained ones. It's a ridiculously huge gap, like comparing a middle school JV quarterback to a division 1 NCAA guy. Nothing will ever convince the keyboard heroes here of that fact though, they cannot comprehend that there might be a way for people to be more capable than them.
      Here we can all drive like Colin McRae in his prime, earn $25k a month and bang super models. We can also text and drive.

I mean I was trained how to divide attention and not lose situational awareness or lose control of the vehicle, as those things are paramount to the safe operation of the aircraft. Some of those skills transfer over to selecting a podcast while driving, but hey, you touch the phone you DIE.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      06-19-2018 02:58 PM #172
      Here we can all drive like Colin McRae in his prime, earn $25k a month and bang super models.
      All on Sentury tires.

24. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Cars
      '12 Earth F****r Limited EL; '12 A4q
      06-19-2018 03:11 PM #173
      Here we can all drive like Colin McRae in his prime, earn $25k a month and bang super models. We can also text and drive.

I mean I was trained how to divide attention and not lose situational awareness or lose control of the vehicle, as those things are paramount to the safe operation of the aircraft. Some of those skills transfer over to selecting a podcast while driving, but hey, you touch the phone you DIE.
      Apparently no one can fathom how I survived my 20s driving 70mph in an S-10 with no power steering and a manual, changing CDs on a portable player with tape deck adapter, and eating a Subway sandwich, with a drink tucked between my hip and seatbelt clasp.

My wife saw a lady reading a book while driving. A f**king paperback book. On the freeway. 65mph+. The reader was going about 45 in the left lane.
      Making people aware of the Dunning-Kruger affliction. If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious

SRT_______________________________________________ ___________SRT

06-19-2018 03:11 PM #174
      I mean I was trained how to divide attention and not lose situational awareness or lose control of the vehicle, as those things are paramount to the safe operation of the aircraft.
      Yeah, the same principle with motorbiking, I've heard it attributed to everyone having a certain dollar's amount of attention, spend wisely

Cars
      10-speed bike
      06-19-2018 03:17 PM #175
      Quote Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
      I'm not sure that people even realize just how much skill gap there is between average drivers and highly trained ones.
      well, when the standards are basically "don't crash" and most people can't even get that right...

you hear it on commercials for insurance every day. "good driver discount/bonus every 6 months you go without a crash..."

seriously? that's like deciding that a chef is good because they don't cut themselves.
      previously sirswank
      Join Date 03-17-2003
      Total Posts 7,046
      seagull posting on a forum near you!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast