Fourtitude.com - Rethinking ownership and safety
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

I'm a little upset about a bad sexual episode I had last night.
      Cars
      2015 Forester, 2006 CR-V
      06-10-2018 01:39 PM #1
      This week marks 2 years since the last time I went out to the range. It's now been over 4 years since the last time I went hunting.

I've owned a number of firearm platforms. Ever since I've had kids, my interest has waned, and I have been slowly selling off most all of my firearms. What I have left has been safely locked away in a large safe, and has not been anything that has been even a remote risk to my kids.

But they are getting bigger, and I have been asking myself... when will I go out for a hunting weekend. Do I even want to. When will I be able to go out and hit the range... again do I even want to.

I find myself wanting to be at home hanging out with my kids moreso than wanting to swing by the range near the office. Setting aside money that I would have put towards ammo for a range trip, towards a few toys I want to get for the kids.

Priorities seem to have fully shifted.

So I am looking at reasons to keep what I have, or what to sell, or where to go next in general. Figured this is as good a place as any to soundboard things.

I am currently down to my hunting rifle, one older revolver that is the only one my wife likes, and my two 1911s. None of them are high value items, the one 1911 is an Argentine Modelo Sistema 1927 that is frame only and fully customized/modded, while the other is an Officer's Model sized RIA that is again just frame only with everything else custom. I very much like them since I paid peanuts and made them into what I wanted.

So... just seeing what I am going to do. Listening to opinions, and just collecting ideas. I'll load up some photos as time permits.
      A loving welcome from TCL

Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Life is way more fun with people you enjoy being around.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. ***** (Cat) Lover Pizza Cat!!!!'s Avatar
      Cars
      North American German crap and German German crap
      06-10-2018 02:57 PM #2
      Where do you currently have the safe located? Also, is it keyed or does it have a combination / keypad lock?
      SS registry owner-emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Dubber-GLI View Post
      NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

Cars
      2015 Forester, 2006 CR-V
      06-10-2018 03:22 PM #3
      Safe is in the basement, unfinished side. Combo lock, and the basement door now has one of the bedroom door locks, reversed so I can lock it from the inside. Mostly just was setup so the kids couldn't get to any of the boxes of junk during home showings. Keeping it that way so they are doubly locked out.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. ***** (Cat) Lover Pizza Cat!!!!'s Avatar
      Cars
      North American German crap and German German crap
      06-10-2018 03:24 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Code Red! View Post
      Safe is in the basement, unfinished side. Combo lock, and the basement door now has one of the bedroom door locks, reversed so I can lock it from the inside. Mostly just was setup so the kids couldn't get to any of the boxes of junk during home showings. Keeping it that way so they are doubly locked out.
      In that case, I would just ‘forget’ about it for a while. You may have a change of heart when they get older. Not hurting anything the way you have it currently set up.

I know when I was a little kid, I knew where my dad hid all his keys - but the combo lock mitigates that.
      SS registry owner-emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Dubber-GLI View Post
      NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

Cars
      2015 Forester, 2006 CR-V
      06-10-2018 03:37 PM #5
      True. Downside is the deployment.

Especially if we stay out in Meth-burg.

8. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Cars
      '12 Earth F****r Limited EL; '12 A4q; '18 UBM Q3q
      06-11-2018 11:03 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Code Red! View Post
      This week marks 2 years since the last time I went out to the range. It's now been over 4 years since the last time I went hunting.

I've owned a number of firearm platforms. Ever since I've had kids, my interest has waned, and I have been slowly selling off most all of my firearms. What I have left has been safely locked away in a large safe, and has not been anything that has been even a remote risk to my kids.

But they are getting bigger, and I have been asking myself... when will I go out for a hunting weekend. Do I even want to. When will I be able to go out and hit the range... again do I even want to.

I find myself wanting to be at home hanging out with my kids moreso than wanting to swing by the range near the office. Setting aside money that I would have put towards ammo for a range trip, towards a few toys I want to get for the kids.

Priorities seem to have fully shifted.

So I am looking at reasons to keep what I have, or what to sell, or where to go next in general. Figured this is as good a place as any to soundboard things.

I am currently down to my hunting rifle, one older revolver that is the only one my wife likes, and my two 1911s. None of them are high value items, the one 1911 is an Argentine Modelo Sistema 1927 that is frame only and fully customized/modded, while the other is an Officer's Model sized RIA that is again just frame only with everything else custom. I very much like them since I paid peanuts and made them into what I wanted.

So... just seeing what I am going to do. Listening to opinions, and just collecting ideas. I'll load up some photos as time permits.
      Better to have it and not need it than vice-versa.

You may take the kids hunting when they get a little older.

I'd just keep them out of sight, out of mind, since it doesn't sound like you EDC anything.
      "Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?"
      If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious
      SRT__________________\_________________________SRT

Cars
      2015 Forester, 2006 CR-V
      06-11-2018 11:23 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      Better to have it and not need it than vice-versa.

You may take the kids hunting when they get a little older.

I'd just keep them out of sight, out of mind, since it doesn't sound like you EDC anything.
      Not since the kids were born. EDC was always a concern with my blood sugar but I managed it well. Juggling children as well, just wasn't a valid choice.

Cars
      Wagon Queen Family Truckster (not the blue sport wagon)
      06-11-2018 12:29 PM #8
      Don't sell anything else & in fact, buy a .22

As your kids get older, they may enjoy the hobby as well.

You get range time & family time.

win/win

Cars
      07 Q7 4.2, 12 F-150 Eco Boost
      12-24-2018 05:50 PM #9
      I personally have chose to involve my kids in the shooting sports. I don't go as much as I/we'd like anymore, but it in no way stops us from trying to get to the range a couple times a year. I have the same blunt, direct, to-the-point talks with my children as my friend's dad (male role-model, no father in the picture) had with me. They know the rules, and I supervise them at all times to ensure they are following them. My guns are locked away, but as with anything, if someone really wants in they'll get there. I just have to trust that I am raising responsible little people. If there becomes a time that I see anyone showing signs that concern us, we'll look at making changes. Until then, my family will continue to enjoy shooting and hunting as a family.