Fourtitude.com - MK4, MK5, MK6 Cigarette lighter always on?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Cars
      02 GTI VR6, 04 DBP .:R32
      05-14-2018 02:05 AM #1
      Just a quick question. I'm not sure if it's just my car (mk4 vr6) or other cars are the same, is there always power going to the cigarette lighter, even when the key is off?

I installed a dash cam and it's supposed to be an "install and forget it" type deal but, its always on when I leave my car. So I'm wondering if it's my car.

Any input would help. Thanks.
      Neuspeed CAI install on my VR6, you should check it out.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      88 Scirocco 16v (Wilda); 02 Passat 1.8T wagon (the Brick); 09 Jetta Sportwagon (wife's.) Past: lots
      05-17-2018 12:44 AM #2
      This is a "varies by manufacturer" thing - and, at that, "varies by electrical architecture" (read: generation.)

The electrical architecture of the A4 / B5 platform is (still, just like it was at The Beginning of Time) 'lighter / charging sockets are always live.' I don't know if VW ever went to a cutoff on that circuit (on later platforms) - but, in that era, they hadn't yet done so.

Want it to shut off at key off? Not hard to install a relay into that circuit, and power the relay coil from terminal 15 (Run power), or terminal Su (Key-in-ignition.)
      - Cup
      '88 Scirocco 16v, 'tastefully' modified.
      '02 Passat 1.8T (The Brick.)
      things currently broken (Scirocco): 4
      things currently broken (Passat): 2

4. 05-21-2018 01:17 PM #3
      Yes - in my NMS Passat too. At first, a pain. Then I realized I don't have to run a 1/2 mile of power lead for each function (power up, power during shutdown) for an always-vigilant Dashcam system that monitors when the car's off. Paid for itself on the first "parking-by-braille" driver at the supermarket right into my rear end
      Because I wired into the socket underneath for the cam system; having it always live lets me plug in my little 10 watt solar trickle charger if I'm not using it for awhile. Depends on your needs I suppose.
      Cheers!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      02 GTI VR6, 04 DBP .:R32
      05-22-2018 06:24 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by cuppie View Post
      This is a "varies by manufacturer" thing - and, at that, "varies by electrical architecture" (read: generation.)

The electrical architecture of the A4 / B5 platform is (still, just like it was at The Beginning of Time) 'lighter / charging sockets are always live.' I don't know if VW ever went to a cutoff on that circuit (on later platforms) - but, in that era, they hadn't yet done so.

Want it to shut off at key off? Not hard to install a relay into that circuit, and power the relay coil from terminal 15 (Run power), or terminal Su (Key-in-ignition.)
      Looks like I'll be running wire this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by madmedix View Post
      Yes - in my NMS Passat too. At first, a pain. Then I realized I don't have to run a 1/2 mile of power lead for each function (power up, power during shutdown) for an always-vigilant Dashcam system that monitors when the car's off. Paid for itself on the first "parking-by-braille" driver at the supermarket right into my rear end
      Because I wired into the socket underneath for the cam system; having it always live lets me plug in my little 10 watt solar trickle charger if I'm not using it for awhile. Depends on your needs I suppose.
      Cheers!
      Yeah, I just want to start my car, and have the dash cam turn on/off with the car. and idealy, not have a dead battery the next day.
      Neuspeed CAI install on my VR6, you should check it out.

Cars
      88 Scirocco 16v (Wilda); 02 Passat 1.8T wagon (the Brick); 09 Jetta Sportwagon (wife's.) Past: lots
      05-22-2018 10:50 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by HelloMissLady View Post
      Looks like I'll be running wire this weekend.
      It'll be simple. Install relay in lighter socket power wire; grab power for relay coil ('trigger') at the 75X lug on the relay plate.
      Shouldn't take much more than an hour.
      - Cup
      '88 Scirocco 16v, 'tastefully' modified.
      '02 Passat 1.8T (The Brick.)
      things currently broken (Scirocco): 4
      things currently broken (Passat): 2