VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

"Sly Bracket" installation on 2012 TTRS

8K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  DrDomm 
#1 · (Edited)
When I purchased the Audi had to mount a front plate but the car didn't have the OEM front plate mount, secondly I didn't really like the look of it either. The tow hook setup would have been ugly as well because of the front tow hook location, would have been a huge space behind the plate.

Front plate:

Tow hook on my son's Golf, would have even more pronounced on the Audi:

Found this bracket called "Sly Bracket" https://www.slybrackets.com/store/, it ships out of Honolulu, Hawaii. Very nice quality product, all stainless steel hardware, powder coat frame, blue locktite applied to critical fasteners and huge mount of flexibility, additional mounting spacers. Work perfectly for the location I was looking at for the plate.

Multiple mount adjustments and spacers:

See less See more
#2 ·
Running 2 plates sucks!

I live in NB. The police don't give a s#it if a 1995 Ford Tempo doesn't mount the front plate. In fact I see all kinds of unremarkable cars every day that don't have the front plate mounted. I bought my car in Sherbrooke, Quebec--where they run only one plate. I couldn't go one f#$%ing week of driving my car in NB before getting hassled by the local police force. There is no place that looks cool mounting a plate on the front of the TTRS. I chose to make my own plate from a rubber one I bought at Canadian Tire. https://www.dropbox.com/s/mjn2yquk9dmca41/IMG_20170413_180912906.jpg?dl=0 The Motor Vehicle Act has a height requirement and I didn't want to give the cops a reason to give me another ticket by having the plate mounted too low. I've also had to go through snow that was nearly a foot high that might have messed up the plate mount. That's why I chose to put it where I did. Also, my slightly OCD brain leans heavily towards symmetry.

Nice car BTW. :thumbup:

#3 · (Edited)
I live in NB. The police don't give a s#it if a 1995 Ford Tempo doesn't mount the front plate. In fact I see all kinds of unremarkable cars every day that don't have the front plate mounted. I bought my car in Sherbrooke, Quebec--where they run only one plate. I couldn't go one f#$%ing week of driving my car in NB before getting hassled by the local police force. There is no place that looks cool mounting a plate on the front of the TTRS. I chose to make my own plate from a rubber one I bought at Canadian Tire. https://www.dropbox.com/s/mjn2yquk9dmca41/IMG_20170413_180912906.jpg?dl=0 The Motor Vehicle Act has a height requirement and I didn't want to give the cops a reason to give me another ticket by having the plate mounted too low. I've also had to go through snow that was nearly a foot high that might have messed up the plate mount. That's why I chose to put it where I did. Also, my slightly OCD brain leans heavily towards symmetry.

Nice car BTW. :thumbup:
Thanks for compliment and the info. Pretty ironick the car comes from Moncton. NB so guess previous owner didn't run a front plate then.

#5 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.