Hey folks! I put this in the ‘brakes’ section of the forum, but thought that it may be more beneficial to post it here, as it’s specific to the A3...
I’ve spent the last few days reading all I can about doing a 17z caliper swap/upgrade...
I think I have everything sorted-out, but though I would ask before I start buying (more) stuff.
So. The following are sorta statement/questions. If anyone can tell me if I’m wrong, missing something, or whatever...I’d REALLY appreciate the feedback.
- 2006 Touareg calipers from a 330mm rotor will put me ‘in business’, and are the 17z brake platform.
- JH Motorsports bolt kit allows the 17z (Touareg) caliper to fit without need of further modification.
- Mercedes ML350 front rotors will be a direct fit on to the A3 hub without any other modification needed for caliper/rotor alignment. Although, there is no accommodation on the ML350 rotor for the countersunk ‘mounting’ screw.
- Hubcentric rings (metal, not plastic) will be need for the rotor to sit proper. * What is the exact size ring needed? And does anyone have a source/link for them that is currently in business?
- Brake lines from the MK5/R-32 will be a direct bolt-on replacement part.
- Lower control arm modification (grinding, cutting...whatever) may be necessary to eliminate the risk of contact at ‘full lock’ turns.
- Wheel spacers may be required to allow for adequate caliper/wheel clearance. But this is all dependent upon wheel fitment & offset.
Does this all seem right?