VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Detailing Product Preference

5K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  dicecheat 
#1 ·
Greetings all! I wanted some opinions regarding detailing products. I just picked up an ‘18 GTI SE (first new car purchase ever, first time owning a vehicle with leather in it as well) and want to get started on the right foot.

I’ve got friends who all have their own opinions on cleaning/detailing products, but can never justify their reasoning for one towards the other. So I ask:

Adam’s Polishes or Chemical Guys? What experiences have you had, and why do you prefer one to the other? Or do you have a different product of choice all together?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Congrats on the mk7.5! Adam's and CG are targeted more towards enthusiasts and simply don't offer the results and longevity as compared to other brands like Gyeon, CarPro, and Optimum. I have a pretty wide variety of Gyeon products on my S4, including, Mohs, Booster, Trim, Rim, Leather Shield, and View. The car is maintained with Gyeon Cure, Gyeon Vinyl Cleaner, Sonax Leather Cleaner and Conditioner or CarPro Interior. For tire dressing I prefer CarPro Perl. Gyeon's Tire doesn't seem to last but a few days for me. If you're going down the traditional wax/sealant route, than I suggest trying Jescar PowerLock+ and Collinite 845. For consumable products, I prefer Meg's Pro line or 3D for wheel cleaner, APC, and window cleaner.

Check out detailedimage.com for products and weekly sales too. :beer:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/U...Xme1B2hEUkt0hr-4PnEHlXKBR0LtUtE=w1316-h877-no

#3 ·
There are lots of good products on the market. I think you will find most people have products by several different companies. Instead of asking which brand you might want to ask for recommendations for specific products. i.e. Leather cleaner, leather coatings, fabric coatings, car wash shampoo, wax/sealant/coating, etc.

I'm not sure but I think chemical guys might manufacture Adams products. They have many similar products. Many websites offer sample sizes/kits which you could try as well.

#5 ·
Makes sense. At least for the time being then, I’m looking for something that’ll maintain the leather/carpeted floors in my car (my first 2 vehicles both had cloth seats that didn’t require too much maintenance).

First leather interior, WI climates, garage kept year-round. Any recommendations?

#6 ·
Start with good floor mats.

I am a big fan of weather tech floor liners. If you already have the OEM monster mats they work well, just don't contain as much debris/liquid before needing to be dumped.

The carpets you can protect with a fabric coating such as Gyeon Fabric Coat or many others.

The main things for the leather are keep them clean and watch the bolsters getting in and out. Most automotive leather is top coated so conditioners don't do much for them. You can apply if you want but I think it's unnecessary. They also have leather coatings you can apply but unless you eat/drink in your car and are a slob I think it's a waste.
A simple damp microfiber wipe down monthly will remove most anything. Apply a protectant with UV blocking capabilities such as McKees fast interior detailer. If you keep up on cleaning then it never gets bad and you won't have an issue.

#7 ·
Ya I made sure to pick up the OEM monster mats before leaving the dealer (and I’ve always made people click their feet together before getting in my vehicle rain or shine). I also don’t let anyone eat in my car, and it’s rare that I drink anything that doesn’t close.

It’s nice hearing that only something with UV blocking would be necessary as I already keep my car clean. Thanks for the tip

#8 ·
303 Brand Products...

I have a new 2018 Atlas with V-tex seats... Has anybody used the 303 Brand Aerospace Protectant on the v-tex seats and/or the dash and door vinyl and plastic trim... It says it is safe for vinyl, leather, plastics, rubber, etc... I have used it on various surfaces of my prior Ford Flex and it protected them from heat and sun deterioration... Also, I use it on my vinyl hottub cover and it keeps it looking new... I believe it would be fine for the interior plastic and vinyl dash/door parts, but I'm not sure about the v-tex seats... Also, does anybody use the 303 Brand Fabric Guard on their carpeting and carpet mats...

#9 ·
I have a new 2018 Atlas with V-tex seats... Has anybody used the 303 Brand Aerospace Protectant on the v-tex seats and/or the dash and door vinyl and plastic trim... It says it is safe for vinyl, leather, plastics, rubber, etc... I have used it on various surfaces of my prior Ford Flex and it protected them from heat and sun deterioration... Also, I use it on my vinyl hottub cover and it keeps it looking new... I believe it would be fine for the interior plastic and vinyl dash/door parts, but I'm not sure about the v-tex seats... Also, does anybody use the 303 Brand Fabric Guard on their carpeting and carpet mats...
The 303 products will work fine for you. If you like it stick with it.

#10 ·
Adam’s has a some key products I like such as the rubber cleaner for tires and monster mats. Their wheel cleaner is similar to Sonax but you can get in the gallon size usually on discount, works wonders on exhaust tips too. I like their interior detailer, it’s not greasy but protects well, glass cleaner, and the In & Out spray for engine compartment black plastics.

I never really got into Chemical Guys.

It’s fun to try new products too, nothing like trying it for yourself.

#11 ·
Bump on the Weathertech floor liners. I've found nothing that I like better.

I love Adam's Leather Conditioner. Using it once a month on my black seats in the Texas sun and my seats just drink it up. They look fantastic after using it (I use it on the dash too). I also like using their H20 Guard and Gloss while drying after a car wash.

Chemical Guys products haven't worked well for me.....however, I use their workhorse towels regularly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.