Fourtitude.com - Sentry Safes
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Thread: Sentry Safes

1. 04-03-2018 05:51 PM #1
      Hello All,

I have had a few handguns stored in a sentry "fireproof, floodproof" (as an aside, I have no idea how this could be floodproof..marketing is marketing...) home safe along with important documents etc...I have recently been reading online that it is not a good idea to store firearms in these type of safes due to the humidity levels inside. Apparently there is some wet fabric packed between the outer and inner walls which is what aids in the fire rating.

I have had my guns in the safe for over a year and have not seen any rust forming, but now I'm spooked. Has anyone here heard the same thing? Any sub $100 safes out there to lock up 3-5 handguns? I don't have the desire or need to spend $3k on a big gun cabinet. Honestly, I'm not very concerned with the fire rating so it does not have to be fireproof. If my house burns down, I have bigger problems than replacing my guns & I store ammo seperately...

Thanks,
      Brian

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Cars
      '12 Earth F****r Limited EL; '12 A4q; '18 UBM Q3q
      04-04-2018 05:52 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by cheese70 View Post
      Hello All,

I have had a few handguns stored in a sentry "fireproof, floodproof" (as an aside, I have no idea how this could be floodproof..marketing is marketing...) home safe along with important documents etc...I have recently been reading online that it is not a good idea to store firearms in these type of safes due to the humidity levels inside. Apparently there is some wet fabric packed between the outer and inner walls which is what aids in the fire rating.

I have had my guns in the safe for over a year and have not seen any rust forming, but now I'm spooked. Has anyone here heard the same thing? Any sub $100 safes out there to lock up 3-5 handguns? I don't have the desire or need to spend $3k on a big gun cabinet. Honestly, I'm not very concerned with the fire rating so it does not have to be fireproof. If my house burns down, I have bigger problems than replacing my guns & I store ammo seperately...

Thanks,
      Brian
      if you have your guns oiled and clean, there's not much to worry about. many people who are concerned with moisture buy silica packs to absorb moisture and change them every so often. You could just do that instead of buying a new safe.
      "Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?"
      If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious
      SRT__________________\_________________________SRT

4. Junior Member
      Cars
      2017 Jetta 1.8T Sport
      04-04-2018 07:55 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      if you have your guns oiled and clean, there's not much to worry about. many people who are concerned with moisture buy silica packs to absorb moisture and change them every so often. You could just do that instead of buying a new safe.
      I agree. If you keep them properly lubed they should be fine. Even better, get them out and shoot 'em once in a while. I own 3 pistols and 1 AR and they each get range time regularly.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      05-27-2018 11:59 AM #4
      FWIW, you need to keep humidity absorbing material in gun safes too.
      iain

Cars
      a Mk4 and a B7.
      05-28-2018 02:50 PM #5
      ^ Agreed with all statements. Use them, clean them, oil them. Silica packs or whatever other absorbant will help, too.
      Gone and missed: '01 B5 V6 GLX wagon, '96 FZJ80, '89 16v GLI, '84 Scirocco, '81 Scirocco S, '80 HiLux 4x4, '77 Kawi Enduro, '74 sparkling green Schwinn Stingray.