Fourtitude.com - Cellphone deals promote switching carriers rather than retaining customers.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Cars
      2016 Mazda CX5 Touring AWD, 2002 Chrysler Town and Lumber
      04-02-2018 10:43 AM #1
      I've been shopping around for a new cell phone lately and I've noticed the majority of deals are incentivizing switching carriers. Example the Samsung s9/+ bogo by either Verizon, ATT, T Mobile etc. I've been a customer of Verizon for 10+ years and have multiple lines and with ancient phones. I walk in and talk about the deal, its only for brand new customers to Verizon. I was looking to add yet another line to my account but it was already its own Verizon line.

I brought up that I could get a this deal if I switched to another carrier and basically got a "Ok cool, have a nice day." from a corporate Verizon store. I wasn't even looking for the full buy one get one, just enough to take some of the sting off the price I need to replace two devices. The only other deal they had was for a Google Pixel which I need switch to either an IPhone or a Galaxy for a medical device compatibility. Otherwise I'd consider a lot of other phones.

Whats the best way to buy a phone these days?

Example Galaxy s9

Verzion - 799 + tax

Samsung - 729 - no tax

Switching Carriers - 7xx / bo-go deal switching to pretty much anyone of them.

ok-ok.... what about an older phone

IPhone 8 700 (Apple/Verizon)

Galaxy s8 696 bucks from Verizon ... 600 from Samsung.

Is there ANY reason to buy a phone directly from a carrier anymore? Any tips or suggestions would be good. Right now I'm thinking buying directly from the manufacturer is likely my best option or squeeze a few months out of my current phones and wait for the next likely sale.

/Rant... I understand this is likely a "sky is blue" "water is wet" type of thing but it just blows my mind how the deals are structured. If they took away the "new line required" I'd be happy to lock in for another few years under their stupid payment thing.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      2006 A4 Avant
      04-02-2018 11:52 AM #2
      Depending what phone you currently have, take a look at buying directly from Samsung (assuming you are interested in one of their phones), some of the trade in deals are pretty decent. For example, I was looking at an S9 and if I trade in my S7 Edge it immediately dropped the price by $300. We had a similar experience to you when trading my wifes phone in about a year ago now, at the time she had a Note 4, it was starting to act up, so we traded it in with AT&T on an S8. At the time AT&T was running a promo of $200 credit, before trading in the phone I made sure to ask specifically if the line was eligible, was told yep, so paid the $50 to trade in the Note 4 early. 6 months later I was still trying to get the credit from AT&T, given a completely different answer every time I got in contact with them, I was told it would show up after 3 billing cycles, that they would make sure to put a note on the account to make sure I got the credit (then on subsequent calls found out no one bothered to actually put any note) etc. Eventually, I just gave up on it, it sucks not getting the credit, but the headache of spending 30 minutes, multiple times, on the phone with an AT&T rep is just not worth it.

When I do decide to replace my S7, there is about a 0.1% chance I will get another phone from AT&T. As you discovered already, you can't get any decent deals with the carrier and I am sick of all the crap they load that I cannot uninstall. In all honesty, I may dump AT&T entirely, regardless, any new phone will be purchased unlocked from the manufacturer.

Cars
      2016 Mazda CX5 Touring AWD, 2002 Chrysler Town and Lumber
      04-02-2018 12:22 PM #3
      I'm looking at either the Galaxy or IPhone mainly due to its compatibility with a medical device I have (a nice to have rather than requirement, but it reduces the amount of devices I carry). There's a few other older phones on the supported list but if they are not listed it means it won't work at all.

We currently have an IPhone 5, Nexus 5x that are on the block to get "upgraded". The other two lines I have are a Droid Max 2 and a Moto w755 flip phone. Each line has been open for upgrade a long long time which apparently doesn't mean anything any more. Both the mentioned phone net almost 0 dollars in any upgrade program. I think the best one I found was for the IPhone 5 which got 25 bucks from Samsung. The GF and I both keep our phones for years, her IPhone (32bit) is starting to not run apps as they are 64bit only and mine I charge it 3x a day. So there just tired.

Sounds like buying them direct or alternative to a carrier is the best deal unless something comes up. Samsung doesn't appear to charge tax on them so there's a bit of savings I guess.