Fourtitude.com - Volkswagen Atlas Cross Sport concept revealed in New York ? Previews a production two-row crossover coming next year
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
      03-27-2018 11:01 PM #26
      Still don't care for VWs new design language, especially their grille designs. They just do nothing for me, this included. The GTI/R is the only VW on this side of the pond that would tempt me.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
      2016 Hyundai Tucson Limited AWD
      2015 Kia Soul + Special Edition

Love one another

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2008 Passat Wagon VR6 4motion, 2013 FIAT 500 Sport
      03-27-2018 11:07 PM #27
      Also: even passing it through the mental show-car-to-production filter this looks awesome. With the Arteon and now this it seems like VW’s styling department is finally finding a groove again.
      - Jeff
      B6 Passat 3.6 & 4motion Resource Thread
      Now: 2008 VW Passat 3.6 4motion Wagon, 2013 Fiat 500 Sport
      Then: 1987 Volvo 745GLE, 1989 Volvo 740GL, 1994 Volvo 940T, 1995 Infiniti G20, 2000 VW Passat 1.8T, 2001 VW Jetta Wolfsburg Ed (x2), 2004 VW Golf TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI

Cars
      2018 Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD
      03-27-2018 11:47 PM #28
      This ticks a lot of boxes for me, esp in PHEV and EV flavor. Will be interested to see final fuel economy numbers.

5. 03-28-2018 12:04 AM #29
      I wonder what they will do to the light bars in the grill for the production model, as I don't think those light highlights in the grill is 'road legal'. Will that lead to a change in the design of the headlights itself and the daytime running lights?
      Last edited by baboondumdum; 03-28-2018 at 12:09 AM.

Cars
      1994 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon, 1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT, 1994 Miata R-Package
      03-28-2018 12:17 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by baboondumdum View Post
      I wonder what they will do to the light bars in the grill for the production model, as I don't think those light highlights in the grill is 'road legal'. Will that lead to a change in the design of the headlights itself and the daytime running lights?
      ...They probably just won't light up the grille. The Arteon's LEDs flow into the lines of grille, but the grille doesn't light up.

Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by Carson Fiber View Post
      Get a life already Loser
      |||||||

7. 03-28-2018 03:36 AM #31
      Looks great! But I can almost guarantee that the production model won't look anywhere near as nice.

Cars
      A Euro and a JDM
      03-28-2018 03:40 AM #32
      America: RAWWWWR VW IS EVIL. TDI DESTROY ENVIRONMENT. ANGER. RAGE. ARGHHHH. DESTROY ALL VW.

VW: Okay, we'll stop making TDIs. Here are 3 new bigger SUVs instead to replace the previous Tiguan and the Touareg which you guys thought were too small. They're... uhh... yeah. You can have them.

America:

Cars
      Now: 2016 GTI PP Autobahn; Then: 2006 A3 Sport 6MT
      03-28-2018 06:56 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by chois View Post
      Volkswagen Grand Cherokee
      *exactly*

We've got a '17 JGC Overland that we love, but this would be one tempting model to look into once wifey's lease comes up in a few years.

Seriously, Volkswagen needs to get this into production much sooner rather than later. Atlas and Tiguan are nice, but this looks to be the "goldilocks" model.

10. Member
      Cars
      2015 VW GTI SE
      03-28-2018 07:21 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by im no hero x View Post
      America: RAWWWWR VW IS EVIL. TDI DESTROY ENVIRONMENT. ANGER. RAGE. ARGHHHH. DESTROY ALL VW.

VW: Okay, we'll stop making TDIs. Here are 3 new bigger SUVs instead to replace the previous Tiguan and the Touareg which you guys thought were too small. They're... uhh... yeah. You can have them.

America:
      I get the point of your post, but in a lot of ways the TDI "scandal" forced VW to get competitive in the North American market.
      CUVs/SUVs have been a big part of every other brand's success story, for about 10 years now.
      VW was so married to its niche TDI strategy, that it was limp dickedly trying smash diesel compact hatchbacks and sedans into a marketplace that didn't want them (in great numbers).
      It was like they were looking at what Ford, Honda, Toyota, and Nissan were bringing to the market, but ignoring their successes, and saying "Nah, these people want Golfs, an over-priced non-luxury brand SUV, and a tiny underpowered CUV.". You joke about VW tailoring their new products to the needs of North America/US, but I know that their new approach will ensure their viability here, even if they lose some fanboys.

11. Member
      Cars
      2015 VW GTI SE
      03-28-2018 07:28 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Travis Grundke View Post
      *exactly*

We've got a '17 JGC Overland that we love, but this would be one tempting model to look into once wifey's lease comes up in a few years.

Seriously, Volkswagen needs to get this into production much sooner rather than later. Atlas and Tiguan are nice, but this looks to be the "goldilocks" model.
      I am all in, on what you are saying.

I am tiring of the Wrangler, and considering a Grand Cherokee or some other mid-sized CUV.
      With really no news about when a new GC might launch, and feeling dubious about FCA quality, I am considering other brands.
      I've owned two VWs, in the past, that I have been reasonably happy with, so the new Tig and Atlas are both on my radar.
      The Tig is probably too small or wagon-like, and the Atlas is bigger than what I need. The Atlas Cross Sport, however, feels perfect.
      It is sized and styled toward the sweet spot of the marketplace, where the Grand Cherokee lives, but will probably be more efficient and reliable.

12. Member
      Cars
      B6 S4 Avant
      03-28-2018 09:45 AM #36
      So, eliminate the vertical cargo/3rd row capacity in exchange for a more dramatically angled D-pillar, and the crowd goes wild?

Cars
      Golf GTI 7
      03-28-2018 09:49 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by oidoglr View Post
      So, eliminate the vertical cargo/3rd row capacity in exchange for a more dramatically angled D-pillar, and the crowd goes wild?
      There is also a new grille, and the roof has been chopped. The proportions are much better than on the 7-seat. But yeah, the basic body design is the same.

Cars
      2015 GTI, 2006 GLI, 1987 Scirocco 16V, 1989 Jetta GL
      03-28-2018 10:08 AM #38
      Go small or go home.

I gotta agree with others: the standard Atlas is way too big for my household. The Tiguan *should* be the "right" choice for us, but it still feels a bit too small. This Cross Sport is right where we'd want to be, size-wise, if we were in the market for an SUV.

Cars
      2015 Passat "Limited Edition"
      03-28-2018 10:27 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by baboondumdum View Post
      Mercury had a "light bar" for a grille in the 80's - perhaps it won't be an issue. Maybe it'll start a trend like LED DRL's a few years back and soon all cars will have lighted grilles.

Please no.

Cars
      '12 Clubman S, '96 Miata 1.8
      03-28-2018 12:22 PM #40
      The door handles being that low looks so stupid. And everything about it still reeks of cost cutting. But it's a good effort compared to the regular Atlas.

17. Member
      Cars
      2007 Porsche Cayman 5MT; 2009 VW Passat Highline Wagon 6MT; 2017 VW Golf R 6MT Tech Pack
      03-28-2018 01:26 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

18. Junior Member
      Cars
      98' VR6 GTI
      03-28-2018 02:06 PM #42
      Please fire whoever is in charge of wheel design lately at VW. I don't want f-ing throwing stars for wheels.

Cars
      S60, ‘murrica
      03-28-2018 05:46 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by S4cabriofox View Post
      The door handles being that low looks so stupid. And everything about it still reeks of cost cutting. But it's a good effort compared to the regular Atlas.
      I didn’t really catch how low those are when integrated into the body line there - now that you mention it, I can’t unsee it, thanks but I really like it overall, and think they’ll do well with it.
      One sedan
      One coupe

20. 03-28-2018 07:32 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by MylesPH1 View Post
      I didn’t really catch how low those are when integrated into the body line there - now that you mention it, I can’t unsee it, thanks but I really like it overall, and think they’ll do well with it.
      It's still a concept so it that could still change. I don't really see the other cost cutting that he's saying it reeks off, unless I'm just not seeing it.

Cars
      2018 Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD
      03-29-2018 12:07 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
      Mercury had a "light bar" for a grille in the 80's - perhaps it won't be an issue. Maybe it'll start a trend like LED DRL's a few years back and soon all cars will have lighted grilles.

Please no.

So choice!

22. Member
      Cars
      LB Mk7R DSGDCC
      03-29-2018 07:33 AM #46
      Hells yes. Was pissed the Tiguan wasn’t coming here but this is in line with the general design so happy to see something like it come to the states. Next vehicle for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

APR Stg1, Forge CAI, BMS TMD, 034 Dogbone, Leyo knobs

23. Member
      Cars
      2015 VW GTI SE
      03-29-2018 07:59 AM #47
      I guess the easiest comparison to make is the difference between the Ford Explorer and Ford Edge.
      Both are very similar vehicles (if not exactly related under the skin).
      The Explorer has a lot of things going for it, but it simply is too big for my needs.
      The Edge is the right size (Goldilocks Zone), but the Escape would be too small (in size and frankly "prestige").

24. Member
      Cars
      2015 VW GTI SE
      03-29-2018 08:04 AM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by Yuppie Scum View Post

So choice!
      The rise of electric cars will once again make big ass radiator grilles seem silly.
      Car companies will have to fill that space with some other signature design element.
      It might not be full width "light bars", but I can certainly imagine LED screens that have an image of a traditional grille, that
      can also display messages to other drivers/pedestrians. This would also be useful for announcing the arrival of ride-share cars, food delivery, etc....

25. Member
      Cars
      '13 Optima SX-L, '11 MKX, '06 ER-6N
      03-29-2018 08:48 AM #49
      As someone else said, there's way more to it. For example, I don't think a regular Atlas would fit in my garage with all the other stuff I have in it. Atlas CS would comfortably. We are only planning to have 2 kids... as long as the trunk can hold all our baby stuff we don't need a 3rd row.

Plus to me, as vain and superficial as this is, 3 row crossovers and minivans represent complete submission to me. A 2 row with some concessions for style says "I have a family and value practicality but style still matters". Whether or not that's dumb or pointless is up for debate, but to me something like the regular Atlas might as well be a school bus. There are exceptions of course like the CX-9 but that is still too big for us

Cars
      1994 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon, 1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT, 1994 Miata R-Package
      03-29-2018 10:41 AM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by Hessen7R View Post
      Hells yes. Was pissed the Tiguan wasn’t coming here but this is in line with the general design so happy to see something like it come to the states. Next vehicle for sure.
      http://www.vw.com/models/tiguan/

Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      It might not be full width "light bars", but I can certainly imagine LED screens that have an image of a traditional grille, that can also display messages to other drivers/pedestrians. This would also be useful for announcing the arrival of ride-share cars, food delivery, etc....
      Yuuuup. Mercedes has been showing stuff like that off for the past couple years; look at the EQ concepts they've released.
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by Carson Fiber View Post
      Get a life already Loser
      |||||||

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast